New Earth (2801/201)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reefgirl
    IMHO I think that the Face of Boe and his secret will be this year's "Bad Wolf"
    That was my initial thought as well. I hope not because it's just a bit obvious, like Ptah said I'd love to see it in a later series.

Comment

Billie Piper is so damn hot!

Comment

I loved the episode. Okay the solution was a little bit too easy, but when you've only got 45 minutes, what else can you do.

I thought both Billie Piper and David Tennant were hilarious when they had Cassandra in them.

I really like David Tennant as the Doctor. I like his quirky playfulness and the authority he brings to the Doctor when he's angry.

Roll on next week.

Comment

OK...

1. I thought the cat people were going to be more evil than they were...still their scheme was pretty dodgy though.

2. How hopeless was Cassandra at impersonating Rose? It was going to be a case of 'the Doctor had 'better' not fall for this' and I doubt he was suckered for a milisecond.

3. Hope my sister's kids weren't too freaked out by the plague zombies.

Overall, decent start but doesn't really touch some of last season's best stuff.
          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Overall I didn't mind the episode... even if it was somewhat derivative. (But what manner of scifi isn't these days?) Somehow it manages to pay homeage to The Matrix, Coma and All of Me at the same time. To my mind it isn't half as humorous as The Christmas Invasion and seems to lack an underlying coherence. Still, I can put up with the ham and the cheese as it is afterall Dr Who but I don't like the obvious lingering looks between the Doctor and Rose. That I find bleahworthy.
            I'm convinced Tennant could be a great Dr Who by the way he channels Troughton and Baker... and even shows glimpses of Davison and Pertwee. The way he moves from one scene to the next leaves me exhausted. The man is a veritable Time Lord jumping bean.

Hasn't sfx come a long way in Dr Who?... Gone are the days of the cheesy sets and monsters. The Cat Sisters were very well done... as were the diseased clones. Personally, I felt that they could have been utilized a lot more but someone has said that there's a sequel to this episode so I leave my comments till then.

Good performances by Billie Piper and David Tenannt, by the way...
            sigpic
            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I really enjoyed this season opener and if this opener is a sign of the new season that it is most deffo going to rock.

I thought Billie Pipers acting was top notch, you can see why she has won awards for her acting in Doctor Who. Loved how she protrayed the role of Cassandra, and some of the quotes were excellent. The quote "I'm a chav" has been mentioned, but I can't see the quote "I'm in a boucy castle" mentioned. Love that line, especailly as Billie was jumping up and down and looking and feeling her breasts!

David Tenannt - great actor and he is going to be a Great Doctor.

Overall an excellent start to the season - next week's episode looks very good as well, so heres to a brand new doctor and series, full of action and adventure

Comment

Really, really enjoyed it.....both David and Billie were excellent....loved the disintectant scene and I'm still giggling at the "walking doodle" remark....thought the make up work on the Cat Sisters was absolutely superb too....

Can't wait for next week....

Deeds xx
                sigpic
                Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Loved this, really loved Billie in this; after The Parting of the ways I had my doubts she could do anything other then be Rose, I wasn't convinced with her Tardis heart bit, but she did Cassandra well and as for funny... hell yeah, the stuff about her body was fun and funny. The disinfected thing was funny, OK so we all saw it coming but it was still funny.

I forgive the idea behind the episode not being original I forgive the mind swapping kissing thing... must but the thing of the hour in scifi, and the kiss was pretty hot even if I don't want them shipped....

David Tennant *sigh* he is so good and he is funny, I love my Doctors with humour at their centre and although Chris had some I see David's having a whole bucket load. He will take things seriously when they need to be but otherwise it is take the **** out of most races and places. He even wore the glasses. Yes I am shallow.

The episode looked good even the "outdoor" scenes which are usually the least convincing in CGI if you ask me, were good and I loved the ships across the water. The make up on the Sisters was really good wonder if any of it was CGI? There was one moment when I thought I hope not too many little kids are watching because even I had to turn away... guess? So Dr Who still might have the power to send the kids behind the sofa...er couch.

Great start for series 28.

Comment

^nope the sisters were done with makeup and masks, no CGI from what I hear, just 3 hours in a makeup room
                    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

great start to the new series, if i had to point out one defining moment to the whole episode then it would have had to have been billie's acting when she was taken over, i used to think she was a rather boring actor but she did great as cassandra, loved the idea behind the episode and some of the technobable had me thinking.
                      For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar
                        great start to the new series...
                        If you think about it though, its really the 3rd episode in the 28th season, the first episode being the 'mini-episode' shown during Children In Need in 2005 and the second episode being 'The Christmas Invasion' shown during christmas. Thats just what I think. New Earth was a brilliant episode!!!
                        Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

Was I the only one who found this episode rather disapoining, still good, but nowhere near as good as anything from the 9th Doctor or the Christmas Invasion.

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom
                            Was I the only one who found this episode rather disapoining, still good, but nowhere near as good as anything from the 9th Doctor or the Christmas Invasion.
                            Oh come on it is only the first episode and the third time DT's been out as the Doctor

Comment

1st ep is a warm up, compare it to Rose, thats all I'll say.
                              Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                              - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

A so-so episode, in my opinion. I starting to like this Doctor better that the last on, because of the humor level.

I give it a ** 1/2.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X