The Long Game (2707/107)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Metarock Sam
    The Editor is such a fantastic character plus he is played by one of my favourite british comedy actors Simon Pegg otherwise known as Shaun in the great comedy film Shaun of the Dead. He just plays the villian very well !!!
    He did look famillar.
    Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Okay, I rewatched the episode again, all by myself. I did noticed something, the writer of this episode used allegory in this episode, which was the effects that mass media has all over the world, and how powerful it is. Now, I don't mind allegory, personally I love it, but this time I have to make a expection. It felt like that his message was forced down my throat, something that I don't like. It seems to me that Davis, dosen't like mass media one bit.

This is another thing that I like about being an American and watching this show, that a good majority of the actors are uknowns to us, and so we are forced to judge them on their merit and not their name.
      "Nothing stays lost forever." The Triangle tag line. Now on DVD, own it forever.

Rose: "She slapped you!"
      The Doctor: "900 years of time and space, and i've never been slapped by someone's mother."
      Rose: "Your face!"
      The Doctor:"it hurt!!"
      The 9th Doctor/Rose from Aliens of London.

Comment

Originally posted by northstar_08030
        Okay, I rewatched the episode again, all by myself. I did noticed something, the writer of this episode used allegory in this episode, which was the effects that mass media has all over the world, and how powerful it is. Now, I don't mind allegory, personally I love it, but this time I have to make a expection. It felt like that his message was forced down my throat, something that I don't like. It seems to me that Davis, dosen't like mass media one bit.
        Considering that 50% of "news" coverage in America are advertisements presented as news....

Considering that corporate news only reports news from the viewpoint, and within the interest, of big business....

Considering that mass media is actively used to manipulate people and convince them to accept their version of reality without question....

Considering that the current Administration was caught releasing fake news packets to the press in order to sway public opinion....

I think it was an important and timely message...a wake up call to viewers.

Most people have no idea how much our democracy has been hurt by the echo chamber of mass media, telling us how hopeless it is to fight for positive change.

Was it subtle? No, but then again the problem with American media is so dire and, like Kathica, many people have been conditioned to ignore the problem, so they wouldn't be able to comprehend the message otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by northstar_08030

This is another thing that I like about being an American and watching this show, that a good majority of the actors are uknowns to us, and so we are forced to judge them on their merit and not their name.

That could be why I loved the episode. I despise mass media and it's attempts to cram their way of thinking down peoples throats...manipulating the truth for a story.

Goes right along with corporate america.
          It feels good to be alive.
          Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

Y'know, for all that a lot of people seemed to dislike Adam he's not as bad as the ep makes him seem. I'm listening to the ep commentary and originally he wasn't downloading info for his own greedy purposes, he was doing it because his father had some disease and he was looking for a cure. Maybe they were afraid that giving both Rose and Adam "daddy issues" was too much, but I kinda wish they'd kept it anyway because it makes him more sympathetic. Or I think so, anyway.

Comment

After seeing Dalek I didn't think any other episode of the series could beat it. I was right, and I still am.
              This is a good episode and seeing that Simon Pegg is one of my favorite actors I had to give it a thumbs up, however I do think that he should have been put in a different episode and had a different role - just my opinion anyways.

I liked the humour - massive evil alien monster 'I call him max'
              I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
              Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

I am not sure if I ever commented on this ep first time around, as honestly I didn't really watch it... well it was on last night here in repeat and yeah, well I didn't really watch it *again*

I started to but really the guy... what's his name, held no interest. Even Rose seemed off in this one and well I think there was just too many characters in it.

I agree Simon Pegg is great, I loved him in Space and I can't really fault him here but by the 30 minute mark I was chatting with my bf and basically ignoring the episode.

Roll credits. Don't think I will ever see the end of this one.

Actually I did the same thing with Father's Day... weird, maybe I was just having a bad fortnight, 'cause as soon as Jack appeared in Empty Child I was right there watching and have not missed one ep since.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                  I am not sure if I ever commented on this ep first time around, as honestly I didn't really watch it... well it was on last night here in repeat and yeah, well I didn't really watch it *again*

I started to but really the guy... what's his name, held no interest. Even Rose seemed off in this one and well I think there was just too many characters in it.
                  i agree, he wasn't a very interesting character. we was pretty bland and that scene in the food court made me wince.

i did like the angry doctor tho, and the scene at the end with all the finger clicking made me laugh.
                  "victimsofninjasayidsaywhat?"
                  "what?"
                  *throat punch*
                  My blog: kathysnumber1blog.blogspot.com
                  LVI now open to all fandoms!!! http://lostvideo.net/

Comment

I just watched this episode again recently and I like the Adam character. I felt bad for him at the end, and that he got treated badly. Now to quote the Doctor from this episode.

Time travel is like visiting Paris. You can't just read the guide book, you
                    gotta throw yourself in.
                    Eat the food, use the wrong verbs, get charged double, and end up kissing complete strangers, or is that just me?
                    He never warned Rose or Adam not to buy the wrong things or do anything that might be wrong. Did he easdrop on the mobile phone because how did he know Adam had sent that message?

I don't blame Adam for doing what he did. He saw an open opportunity and took it.

And yet when Adam did that he didn't get any forgiveness or a second chance, or even an attempt to fix things. He just got shoved out the TARDIS and forgotten.....

The cynical part of me wonders had he been female blond and had boobs, would all have been forgiven.
                    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

i agree the doctor is not as forgiving but i understand his point of view. he wants companions who are useful like rose Donna and Marther and won't cause trouble. i do how ever understand that the doctor did not give him a chance and the doctor never wanted him to be in the tardis he only allowed it because rose insisted on it. as for the ears dropping he just didn't want information about the future getting out and changing the future since it was now set in stone.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateship15 View Post
                        i agree the doctor is not as forgiving but i understand his point of view. he wants companions who are useful like rose Donna and Marther and won't cause trouble. i do how ever understand that the doctor did not give him a chance and the doctor never wanted him to be in the tardis he only allowed it because rose insisted on it. as for the ears dropping he just didn't want information about the future getting out and changing the future since it was now set in stone.

But we never got an idea of how the Doctor knew what Adam had done with the phone. There's just no way he can be everywhere and know what he has done, unless he had some way of tapping into the mobile phone.

Comment

it was the doctor who enhanced it so who knows he may have put a way to tap the phone. but that just says he doesn't trust rose since it was her phone
                          sigpic

Comment

I had to go and check the credits to know who was playing the Editor. I knew he was familiar to me but I just did not recognize Simon Pegg
                            Grimm returns October 24
                            sigpic

Signature and Avatar by Hyndara71 - Thank you very much
                            Profile Picture by BM-Shipper

Comment

Originally posted by gateship15 View Post
                              it was the doctor who enhanced it so who knows he may have put a way to tap the phone. but that just says he doesn't trust rose since it was her phone
                              Tha's a point.... Not very trusting hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by Metarock Sam View Post
                                Bad Points... Adam, Adam ,Adam man he was soooo annoying im glad they got rid of him straight away and still with the chip in his head which some people speculated that he could be Davros in some way through this.

Therefore I give this ep a rating of 7 out of 10 but if Adam wasnt in it id probably give it 9 or 10 out of 10.
                                I agree. At first i thought Adam would ruin things... but it was even worse. He was so selfish. So childish.. so human.. I was relieved they got rid of him at the end.
                                Sherlock; the only one in the world + The Doctor; the last of his kind = THEY ARE ONE AND THE SAME

~~~

WATCHING:
                                - Doctor Who (series 7)
                                - Arrested Development (season 3)

WAITING:
                                - Sanctuary (season 5)... but wont get.. RIP Sanctuary, thanks for the memories!
                                - Sherlock (season 3).....MOFFAT!
                                - Arrested Development (season 4 and the movie)... can't wait!

I AM WHOLOCKED.

Comment

Working...
                                X