No announcement yet.

Aliens Of London (2704/104)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

on that: use spoiler tags. this was mentioned in the thread for another episode and
    Spoiler:
    yes, there will be
    Spoiler:
    Before you met me I was a fairy princess
    I caught frogs and called them prince
    And made myself a queen
    Before you knew me I traveled 'round the world
    I slept in castles and fell in love
    Because I was taught to dream

I found mayonnaise bottles and poked holes on top
    To capture tinkerbell
    They were just fireflies to the untrained eye
    But I could always tell

I believe in fairytales and dreamers dreams like bed sheet sails
    And I believe in Peter Pan and miracles
    And anything I can to get by
    And fireflies...

"What's the point of being grown-up if you can't act childish sometimes?" -- Doctor Who

Comment

What the heck was that?! I mean the first half of the episode was pretty good, with a good sense of pacing and mystery to it, but the second half felt like it was a totally mess of stuff, with no clear point of where the episode wanted to go. Where the writers on this episode smoking something? I mean that episode for me wasn't a fun episode it was a confusing mess that was quickly put together because something was under a deadline or something. Has to be the worst out of the four episode of the new series and I hope that the second part will some bring this story line up, but I don't think it will.

Well I did like see the Doctor find himself in a room with arm guards pointing their weapons at him, kind of reminded me of what happen to Han Solo in the first Star Wars movie. The slap was pretty cool as well and did anybody notice the red mark that was on his face, Rose's Mom did hit him good.

Slitheen's design was okay, but not the greatest. It was a good thing that their design was done with CGI and not some type of costum. God, I can only image how chessy that would looked.

An episode like this, is going to really going hurt SF rattings and might threated the US chance of getting the second season.
      Last edited by northstar_08030; 31 March 2006, 06:50 PM.
      "Nothing stays lost forever." The Triangle tag line. Now on DVD, own it forever.

Rose: "She slapped you!"
      The Doctor: "900 years of time and space, and i've never been slapped by someone's mother."
      Rose: "Your face!"
      The Doctor:"it hurt!!"
      The 9th Doctor/Rose from Aliens of London.

Comment

Just like the doctor a year late.... wait thats good for him ussally its a hundred.
        Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Originally posted by northstar_08030

Slitheen's design was okay, but not the greatest. It was a good thing that their design was done with CGI and not some type of costum. God, I can only image how chessy that would looked.
          Actually the Slitheen are giant costumes.
          Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

my hubby and I thought it was both good, as in classic Who: good plot flows, suspense, and korny moments:

First time (that we ever remember) the DOCTOR ever got slapped by someone's mom in the entire series!!

Oy! alien stuff: the crash steering right into Big Ben. That'll take a while to fix!

The military's "RED ALERT!!" software discovery of "the DOCTOR!!", and Rose's comment about wanting to get *arrested* sooner (for posh treatment like that!). Enjoyed her eager wonder at a free trip into going to
            10 Downing Street

... this had me curious as to why was she so excited about going there? She knows something we don't - just yet?

re: ...augmenting and shipping the pig into space? that was so cruel what those aliens did to the pig! The Doctor's wisdom is amazing... funny watching his encounter with UNIT and their reaction to his yelling out the Delta commands and them just blindly following him, after holding their guns at him - as if he was the enemy, now he's their temporary in Command Officer!

When I finally heard about what happened to that poor wittle pig, I had 2 thoughts:

"When pigs fly..."
            (computer Windows program) Flying pigs...

...aliens pretending aliens?
            (not including the silly farting bits by murderous aliens, afterall, the Doctor was NOT amused)

Originally posted by TheAncient1:
            I thought it was pretty good. Have they used the slitheen in Doctor Who before? It sounds familiar...
            Unless we're confusing it with the Tribe of the Sevateem ("survey team" ... also first Leela episode), then
            Yes, the name does sound very familiar, but I don't remember from which episode it originally appeared in.

nice last scene cliffhanger sound effects (vortex) noise merging into the music - now, that's *Classic* DrWHO.

{EDIT MODE: more} sound effects explanation to follow -from the topic:
            "Should New Who have been made to be more like the Classic Who?"
            Originally posted by SGalisa:
            ...it kind of became a trademark of those older (classic DrWHO) eps, where at the very ending of the episode (often being a cliffhanger) - I think it was a synthesizer that made a sound (too difficult to properly describe) as if it was pulling the viewer into the space/time continuim vortex, which was reinforced with a visual vortex / wormhole-like effects during the end credits/theme song.

...it'd be nice to hear that vortex noise the way it always was. It sort of acted as an enhanced *punch-line* to the series, as well. If it ever does get reincorporated back into the series at all ... it should be included at least in the two-parters (...any "To Be Continued" stories).
            it's definitely at the end of this episode. happy viewer!
            Last edited by SGalisa; 02 April 2006, 03:45 AM. Reason: additional comments/reply

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa

The military's "RED ALERT!!" software discovery of "the DOCTOR!!", and Rose's comment about wanting to get *arrested* sooner (for posh treatment like that!). Enjoyed her eager wonder at a free trip into going to
              10 Downing Street

... this had me curious as to why was she so excited about going there? She knows something we don't - just yet?
              10 downing Street is the english white house equivalent so to speak. Of course shes excited to visit it. Who would not?

Comment

I can't wait to see the conculdion this one was so good.
                Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

I hated this episode. World War Three rocked my face,though.
                  why won't my sig rotator work

Comment

I like the episodes that return to the present day and how alien incursions affect our daily lives, the pig scene was a bit confusing though.
                    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Watched this again on BBC America. Still a lot of fun. I like the pig. The farting becomes a bit much after awhile and how many times do they need to unzip from the body suits for dramatic effect? Overall, it was great fun.
                      sigpic

Comment

this was one of the first of the new whos i saw and it's still one of my favorites. it's just so funny.
                        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

after watching this ep again this made me really want to see unit in some furture eps of the show

Comment

They're sort of mentioned but there is a reason why you don't see them.
                            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Here's a question that's really bothering me:

When Rose and the Doctor found out that they came back a year after they'd left instead of a day, why didn't they just hop back in the TARDIS and try again for a closer date, instead of just accepting that she'd been gone for a year?

I would think the justification that someone might offer would be that the TARDIS isn't that accurate, but it couldn't have hurt to try to back to a time closer to when they left.

I've searched multiple forums hoping to stumble across a discussion on this, but I haven't found what seems to be a very obvious question brought up anywhere. Am I missing something?

Comment

The Doctor tried to stop Rose from going home, once he realised the mistake, maybe so that they could do just what you suggest. But he was too late, so once he got to her she'd already met her Mum, and going back to stop herself from being 'missing' would have been problematic in the way that saving her father was in Fathers Day.

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
                                X