Pilot (101-102)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    Anything that she does in this show will pale in comparison to what she did in Spartacus: Gods of the Arena...
    LOL woops, I think I better put that on the to-watch list.

I wasn't complaining, just referencing her Dad who is/was very anti-nudity on TV, blimey anyone would think I said I hated looking at half naked women

Comment

I wasn't planning on watching Defiance but out of curiosity, I went ahead and watched the pilot and first episode last night. I was quite pleased with the selection of actors, as well as the quirks of the various alien races. I think giving the lead role to Grant Bowler was a good choice, as he has both the right look and feel. I'm also very happy with seeing Tony Curran in a very prominent role.

I'm reminded of Babylon 5 in way, especially with the various races trying to get along in a joint community. I'm curious as to what the artifact the old Mayor is looking for.
      sigpic

Comment

I really enjoyed the pilot. I just saw it last night on Hulu, didn't even know it existed

I like the soundtrack, and the main storyline is kinda neat. I can't resist a good end of the world/post apocalyptic type story.

Honestly though, if I were in the world I'd want all the Votan gone. I mean...what gives them the right to just show up out of nowhere and park their poop here? I hope they show more antagonism between humans and Votan aliens mainly because I doubt people would just give up after a war no matter how bloody it was. It sure didn't stop Europe from fighting a second World War.
        By Nolamom
        sigpic

Comment

I wonder though, if the situation were reversed and we were the ones from a dying planet who had to either keep looking or inhabit a planet that already had people on it ... do you suppose we'd keep looking? Our history is that we would not, we'd just kick out whoever was in our way.
          sigpic

Comment

Exactly.. We already have a history rife with going elsewhere and conquering those there,so why would we be surprised to see other's do it to us?

Comment

Originally posted by min min light View Post
              I wonder though, if the situation were reversed and we were the ones from a dying planet who had to either keep looking or inhabit a planet that already had people on it ... do you suppose we'd keep looking? Our history is that we would not, we'd just kick out whoever was in our way.
              Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              Exactly.. We already have a history rife with going elsewhere and conquering those there,so why would we be surprised to see other's do it to us?
              We are now generations away from those events, so the feelings aren't there as much as say...during American Colonial times. Either way, the Natives didn't exactly accept it over night, some are still pretty ticked off today.

The series is set during the same time that people who remember Earth before the Votan are alive. Them and their children would naturally have the harshest feelings against the Votan. Their grandchildren could conceivably be mixed, and the great grandchildren would see it as a fact of life for the most part. But to be honest, what happened to the Earth itself...

Fine, they needed a new home. There was a war as a result of high tensions and misunderstandings. If it were just that, co-existence and putting hard feelings behind could work (thought still be hard). But they changed the Earth (Accidentally but that never really matters when emotions are in the mix). The whole ravished world is a constant reminder.

If the series was set a hundred or so years after the war, sure. I wouldn't expect much of the "Get off my planet" drama. But it's within a lifetime after the war.
              By Nolamom
              sigpic

Comment

I would have loved to see this entire saga from start to finish - starting out in their star system when they discovered they had to leave, through to the point where nobody is left who remembers a time when Earth wasn't their planet.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X