'Defiance' (Rockne S. O'Bannon/Syfy) -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
    When is this show premiering in the U.S.?
    April
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      April
      I am marking that on my calendar.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
        When is this show premiering in the U.S.?
        April 15th.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
          April 15th.
          Thanks for the Date
          sigpic
          My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
          poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

So, basically, Syfy cancelled Alphas, Eureka and Sanctuary and are replacing them with this show?

Comment

Originally posted by techs View Post
              So, basically, Syfy cancelled Alphas, Eureka and Sanctuary and are replacing them with this show?
              Defiance was first created in about 2008. This has been a LONG time coming. No way that they could know that those shows were going to disappear. Please stop blaming Syfy for a shows cancellation, its a business not a charity. They rely on profit or they themselves will be cancelled.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                Defiance was first created in about 2008. This has been a LONG time coming. No way that they could know that those shows were going to disappear. Please stop blaming Syfy for a shows cancellation, its a business not a charity. They rely on profit or they themselves will be cancelled.
                Yes, and the money they saved from cancelling the other shows is being put towards Defiance.

As to Syfy being a business, well, when they were running the Stargates, Farscape and BSG they were consistently a cash cow. They made money year after year and did far better than their parent, NBC. Then they decided to change the focus and make the cheapest reality shows they could. And they still make money. But they have lost a lot of viewers and more and more of their new shows are getting low ratings and being cancelled.

Syfy no longer has their base and they are in danger of becoming unprofitable as they have alienated so many of their viewers. Short term profits versus long term profitability.

Comment

No its not
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by techs View Post
                    Yes, and the money they saved from cancelling the other shows is being put towards Defiance.

As to Syfy being a business, well, when they were running the Stargates, Farscape and BSG they were consistently a cash cow. They made money year after year and did far better than their parent, NBC. Then they decided to change the focus and make the cheapest reality shows they could. And they still make money. But they have lost a lot of viewers and more and more of their new shows are getting low ratings and being cancelled.

Syfy no longer has their base and they are in danger of becoming unprofitable as they have alienated so many of their viewers. Short term profits versus long term profitability.
                    You kind of just validated my point, its a business, they would not keep things that people apparently like but do not watch. If you ran a channel like that you would go broke in no time. And the "money" that you think they saved would have gone back into the company as a whole, not directly to one show.

At any rate, why are you complaining about what is shaping up to be a terrific show with a phenomenal and incredibly detailed backstory? Your complaining about lack of scifi and yet complaining about a scifi show being aired.

Comment

The transmedia expands.

Comment

Episode 1 (or part of it, I'm not sure)

Comment

While I plan on watching the show itself, I don't see myself getting too much into the online part of things, or the game.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                            While I plan on watching the show itself, I don't see myself getting too much into the online part of things, or the game.
                            A lot of people are doing that, or the game and not the show. You will still get a good story out of it, kind of like watching SG-1 but not watching Atlantis, you get the story and the universe of the show by watching either or you get a richer experience by watching both.

Granted some people do not play games, or online games, but theres still lots to discover.

Comment

Some people just don't like the MMO genre, like myself.... if it wasn't mmo i might consider trying it
                              Last Movie Watched
                              X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                              Life is Strange

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
                                Some people just don't like the MMO genre, like myself.... if it wasn't mmo i might consider trying it
                                I was never a fan, perhaps from not playing them, but I have seen a fair amount of other mmos and they never interested me. Which was probably because they were always about orcs and other magical nonsense, but Defiance is hardcore scifi with aliens, so I'm into it.

Comment

Working...
                                X