No announcement yet.

'Defiance' (Rockne S. O'Bannon/Syfy) -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It will be interesting to see the ratings tonite. The other networks have ended their seasons and there is no competition for Defiance. Then next week they are off for Memorial Day.

Will the show continue to fall in the ratings? What is the baseline? Will people tune back in after a two week break?

Comment

I agree - there's not enough actually *happening* onscreen to hold my interest for long. I refuse to cooperate in the sync program - I am not a gamer and if they can't tell the story on the screen, why should I work to find out the plot points they're ignoring?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by techs View Post
        It will be interesting to see the ratings tonite. The other networks have ended their seasons and there is no competition for Defiance. Then next week they are off for Memorial Day.

Will the show continue to fall in the ratings? What is the baseline? Will people tune back in after a two week break?
        I will. I'm finding it not the most riveting sci-fi drama out there, but still interesting to watch. Some of the alien species have picked up human mannerisms and speech while the humans have done the same.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
          That would just be a different show, they are telling an immigrant drama, not a space show.
          Agreed.

This is supposed to be a story about what happens on Earth after the events of the Votans' arrival and subsequent war. Putting the story back into space, even for an episode would be a mistake. If the show's creators wanted to do a prequel, then that would be okay.

There could be an episode where someone threatens everyone else because they have the potential to go into space and possibly access technology which could be found there, but it would have to end in failure. Success would mean too great an imbalance in the power structure as currently exists in this world.

regards,
          G.
          Go for Marty...

Comment

I'm hoping the show gets better in the second season...Falling Skies started out relatively slow like this but it improved dramatically in its second season. I'm hoping the same for this...
            sigpic

Comment

If anyone is following the ratings, they are pretty bad.
              About the same as Stargate Universe at the same point in its run.
              And Defiance is doing far, far less than Stargate Atlantis, BSG, Eureka and Warehouse 13 were doing at the same time.

If Syfy hadn't put so much money into the show and its advertising it would be a toss up whether it got a second season.

Comment

Um no they are not. Defiance numbers are quite higher than SGU
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  Um no they are not. Defiance numbers are quite higher than SGU
                  Well, how can I argue with the always factual "nuh uh". I guess I could show you a chart posted by a Syfy executive showing Stargate Universes ratings:
                  k7xOApg.jpg

As you can see Universe did 3 million viewers its first episode after the two hour premiere. Defiance has never done more than 2.4 million. The last episode of Defiance pulled in less than 2 million viewers. Universe had substantially more than 2 million viewers for the first ten episodes.
                  btw you can read the whole story here:
                  http://www.gateworld.net/news/2011/0...medium=twitter

Sanctuary pulled in more than 3 million viewers in its premiere episode compared to Defiances 2.4 million.
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctuary_(TV_series)

And in another thread it was posted how Universes "share" was also greater than Defiance.

Oh, and Stargate Atlantis had a 1.7 share compared to Defiances 0.8 at the same episode point last week.

Comment

Well, how can I argue with the always factual "nuh uh". I guess I could show you a chart posted by a Syfy executive showing Stargate Universes ratings:
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]37848[/ATTACH]

As you can see Universe did 3 million viewers its first episode after the two hour premiere. Defiance has never done more than 2.4 million. The last episode of Defiance pulled in less than 2 million viewers. Universe had substantially more than 2 million viewers for the first ten episodes.
                    btw you can read the whole story here:
                    http://www.gateworld.net/news/2011/0...medium=twitter

Sanctuary pulled in more than 3 million viewers in its premiere episode compared to Defiances 2.4 million.
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctuary_(TV_series)

And in another thread it was posted how Universes "share" was also greater than Defiance.

Oh, and Stargate Atlantis had a 1.7 share compared to Defiances 0.8 at the same episode point last week.
                    Well, if you are going to argue about ratings could you please get accurate figures? What you have quoted above are not correct, I suspect you may have gotten some Live +7 numbers mixed in there. Defiance pulled in the same LIVE +SD total viewers as Sanctuary for the premiere (2.7 million). BTW SGU never pulled in more than 2.447 million (Air pt3).
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                      Well, if you are going to argue about ratings could you please get accurate figures? What you have quoted above are not correct, I suspect you may have gotten some Live +7 numbers mixed in there. Defiance pulled in the same LIVE +SD total viewers as Sanctuary for the premiere (2.7 million). BTW SGU never pulled in more than 2.447 million (Air pt3).

Well, more "nuh uh". I posted a link to an article on Gatworld showing Stargate: Universe drew "On the plus side, SGU actually grew in week 2 to just about 3 million viewers"

But just keep disagreeing with facts by saying "nuh uh"

I guess there is no sense arguing with you since you just make claims without backing them up.

"nuh uh"

Comment

Checking the TV listings on my Sky TV Guide. It appears that we've got a slight break from Defiance next week. The next episode is due to be shown on 4th June.
                        "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                        Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                        Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                        Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                        I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                        To thy own self... Be true
                        May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Well, more "nuh uh". I posted a link to an article on Gatworld showing Stargate: Universe drew "On the plus side, SGU actually grew in week 2 to just about 3 million viewers"

I guess there is no sense arguing with you since you just make claims without backing them up.

"nuh uh"
                          No one is arguing with your numbers, people are arguing that you are using 2 different data sets and trying to compare the 2.
                          sigpic
                          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

"nuh uh"
                            As Gatefan said, you are using two different sets of figures (which measure different things). The Defiance numbers are Live +SD figures and therefore any logical ratings argument about other shows should also be using Live +SD. You are also mixing up rating and share, they are not the same thing, and there are two different types of rating sometimes quoted, coverage and national. Earlier shows like SGA and Sanctuary were reported by SciFi using coverage ratings but today they are reported independently using national ratings. So be very careful when making comparisons that you are actually comparing like with like.

Here are the Live +SD figures for SGU and Sanctuary, you can verify them here at GW if you want, the Ratings threads for both shows were very active.

Here's a quick comparison of Live +SD Total viewers for Defiance & SGU:

..........Defiance............SGU
                            15-Apr-13 2,727,000 02-Oct-09 2,346,000
                            22-Apr-13 2,400,000 09-Oct-09 2,447,000
                            29-Apr-13 2,289,000 16-Oct-09 2,099,000
                            06-May-13 2,150,000 23-Oct-09 2,015,000
                            13-May-13 1,980,000 30-Oct-09 1,974,000
                            20-May-13 1,947,000 06-Nov-09 1,626,000
                            Last edited by RealmOfX; 23 May 2013, 05:52 AM. Reason: fixed typo
                            -

Comment

I think that the ratings for series 1 could have been at the bottom of the toilet and it would still have received a renewal. It's the only show that I can recall where the total investment cost has been given headlines in almost every article. Seriously, if we did a poll here on how much SyFy spent on the game and show, I bet close to 100% would know the $100 million figure. I mean, how could anyone help but know that number?

So after spending $100 million, (there it is again) Defiance was always going to get a couple of series. I like the show. After only a few episodes the audience has gotten to know and develop opinions on a lot of the cast. Not only did SyFy invest heavily in Defiance, but they've managed to get the audience invested in it too. Smart. I'd like to see the show do well in the next series as that will be the key. I hope they continue to make it about the people cause that's what keeps us watching.

Am I the only one who still doesn't get a western vibe from this show?

Comment

Originally posted by 12OzMouse View Post
                                I think that the ratings for series 1 could have been at the bottom of the toilet and it would still have received a renewal. It's the only show that I can recall where the total investment cost has been given headlines in almost every article. Seriously, if we did a poll here on how much SyFy spent on the game and show, I bet close to 100% would know the $100 million figure. I mean, how could anyone help but know that number?
                                More apparently, Trion spent "north of 70m" on the game alone

So after spending $100 million, (there it is again) Defiance was always going to get a couple of series. I like the show. After only a few episodes the audience has gotten to know and develop opinions on a lot of the cast. Not only did SyFy invest heavily in Defiance, but they've managed to get the audience invested in it too. Smart. I'd like to see the show do well in the next series as that will be the key. I hope they continue to make it about the people cause that's what keeps us watching.
                                Not just Syfy, the entire Comcast entertainment section.
                                Am I the only one who still doesn't get a western vibe from this show?
                                Possibly dude
                                sigpic
                                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
                                X