'Defiance' (Rockne S. O'Bannon/Syfy) -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    Of couse they are behind a show. That is obvious by the huge amounts they are investing. But huge amounts doesn't mean it will be successful. Terra Nova anyone?
    Perhaps but considering the transmedia thing (the game, website stuff), they appear to be willing to look at other venues when considering how popular their show is.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
      Perhaps but considering the transmedia thing (the game, website stuff), they appear to be willing to look at other venues when considering how popular their show is.
      Thats nothing more than promotion to spike interest. It doesn't change the issue of the success being undetermined
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Thats nothing more than promotion to spike interest. It doesn't change the issue of the success being undetermined
        I don't think so, its not like they came up with the show and then tacked on the game to help promote it. It has been 5 years in the making side-by-side, with over a hundred million dollars spent already. If Syfy is not willing to take that into account before deciding the fate of the show, well then they really must be insane as so many people say.

Comment

Pitching S2 seems premature. They don't even know if the show will be a sucess or failure
          I agree with you. It is definitely premature IMO.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I don't think so, its not like they came up with the show and then tacked on the game to help promote it. It has been 5 years in the making side-by-side, with over a hundred million dollars spent already. If Syfy is not willing to take that into account before deciding the fate of the show, well then they really must be insane as so many people say.
            The game is nothing more than like the webseries BSG or SGU did. Its there to enhance the show. But if the show fails than the game is pointless. The amount of time and money SyFy doesn't matter if the show performs poorly. Once again I point to Terra Nova as a good example
            Jelgate is right

Comment

I haven't played the game, but I read a few articles that implied the series was to enhance the game. Games these days are big business and can often bring in more money than movies, and can cost as much to produce. But I haven't read anything about the split on how much they spent on each side.
              sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

The game is nothing more than like the webseries BSG or SGU did. Its there to enhance the show. But if the show fails than the game is pointless. The amount of time and money SyFy doesn't matter if the show performs poorly. Once again I point to Terra Nova as a good example
                Actually both are being developed so they can survive on their own, neither is as reliant on the other as you seem to believe they are. Webseries add a little to the backstory but the game adds a whole other side to the story, its like comparing apples and steak.

I get it, you don't want to trust syfy and assume that they are going to kill the show over ratings, well your in the same boat as so many others. But tv is a business, they live on money and we can never change that....well until we become a moneyless society.

At any rate, its sci-fi and deserves some of our attention, unless we want a world of Big Brother, My Kitchen Rules and other abysmal "television".

Comment

Downloading the beta. Hope it's good
                  sigpic

Comment

Actually both are being developed so they can survive on their own, neither is as reliant on the other as you seem to believe they are. Webseries add a little to the backstory but the game adds a whole other side to the story, its like comparing apples and steak.
                    The gaming market is small compared to a TV market. I have a hard time believing they will continue finance the game if the shows does poorly

I get it, you don't want to trust syfy and assume that they are going to kill the show over ratings, well your in the same boat as so many others. But tv is a business, they live on money and we can never change that....well until we become a moneyless society.
                    You shouldn't make baseless assumptions. I know ratings make up the bulk of decisions when it comes to tv shows. It has nothing to do with liking or disliking a channel. Its acknowledging that channels makes decisions based on financial success. Using that criteria its too premature to plan season 2.
                    At any rate, its sci-fi and deserves some of our attention, unless we want a world of Big Brother, My Kitchen Rules and other abysmal "television".
                    You should never follow a genre blindly. They all have bad and good shows
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

The gaming market is small compared to a TV market. I have a hard time believing they will continue finance the game if the shows does poorly
                      Syfy does not entirely finance the game, they own shares in Trion but Trion paid for the bulk of it themselves.

You shouldn't make baseless assumptions. I know ratings make up the bulk of decisions when it comes to tv shows. It has nothing to do with liking or disliking a channel. Its acknowledging that channels makes decisions based on financial success. Using that criteria its too premature to plan season 2.
                      Cancelling a show because advertisers don't want to put ads on during the show is not a bad decision financially. A stupid one, but not a financially stupid one.

You should never follow a genre blindly. They all have bad and good shows
                      Thats why I said "some of our attention" as opposed to all. But being weary of a show because it may get cancelled would most likely ruin the show because your preoccupied with cancellation.

Comment

Concept is still the same. Trion still has that incentive to want the show to do well. Bad show most likely means bad profit for the game

No reason to air something if it isn't making. Nothing is stupid about that
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Concept is still the same. Trion still has that incentive to want the show to do well. Bad show most likely means bad profit for the game

No reason to air something if it isn't making. Nothing is stupid about that
                          Yes, but they are no dependent on one another, there are thousands of people who have said they have no desire to watch the show, but still want to play the game, and vice versa. If Trion wants them to watch why wouldn't they have made it so you need to watch to get the full effect? They didn't because relying on a tv show for a game to go good would be idiotic as they attract two different groups of people.

They have plans in place in case the other fails, so they don't go down as well. They are individual yet complement one another.

Comment

Thousands isn't enough. And plus what people say is not always what they actually do. One has to be based on the other if the two are suppose to enchane one another. It makes more sense for the game to enhance the TV show than the other way around. Games rely on TV shows all the time to be good. Games based on movies and TV shows get cancelled all the time when the TV show tanks
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Thousands isn't enough. And plus what people say is not always what they actually do. One has to be based on the other if the two are suppose to enchane one another. It makes more sense for the game to enhance the TV show than the other way around. Games rely on TV shows all the time to be good. Games based on movies and TV shows get cancelled all the time when the TV show tanks
                              Its like you aren't even listening. They are based on the same concept but are NOT reliant on one another. I don't know how much simpler I can make that.

Comment

I for one will watch the show and not playing the game, at least for now.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X