No announcement yet.

Rebirth (102)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since I wasn't aBSG watcher. Can someone tell me what the Taurons belief is that makes them different from the Capricans? Or link me a place to find out? Or are you all in the dark with me on the background?
    no means no, and so does pepper spray
    Sig by The Carpenter
    sigpic

Comment

the interplanetary issues seem to be something more specific to this show. there wasn't much of it in BSG, possibly because they were all united against a common enemy, and they don't have that now. all they have to do is fight each other.

In fact, the main bit of tension i remember is from teh classic bsg, when they intro'd cassandra and a person on the ship was hostile towards her because she was an 'entertainer' and from gemanon i think?
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

So the glove thing and the food thing are new to the show just to create the semblance of difference. I am getting the idea of old world mafia, with religious connotations.
        Sig by The Carpenter
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Girlbot View Post
          Since I wasn't aBSG watcher. Can someone tell me what the Taurons belief is that makes them different from the Capricans? Or link me a place to find out? Or are you all in the dark with me on the background?
          Its just racism pure and simple. We really don't know what the Taurons do different but its probably not anything big
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

I'm loving this, I really am. I'm so glad I decided to give the pilot a shot last year because it really didn't look that good from the premise.

Am I correct in thinking I saw Serenity in one of the early shots? I know it was in one of the early scenes of BSG and was wondering if they did the same, or did I just imagine it.

Also, in regards the scene where Tammy briefly appears in Adama's kitchen (God it feels weird referring to someone else as Adama, but it fits better than Joeseph);
            Spoiler:
            how long until people start arguing that she's one of the angels?

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            If you know the bsg mythos, then it's kinda like haivng seen star wars and watching episodes 1-3, you know where the story needs to end up, but you're not quite sure how it'll get there
            The big difference being this is actually good

That's probably one reason behind the whole 'this one true god stuff is terrorism' attitude...
            They're being branded terrorists because they're blowing up trains full of civilians, not because of their religious beliefs. There was a line in the pilot where the investigator asks the principal about her religious beliefs and she states that the school is open to all, the impression I get is that monotheism isn't illegal, but it's practitioners are instantly treated with suspicion by the public at large regardless of whether they actually commit terrorism. Sort of like Islam in many countries of the western world.

people in power know that if the movement is successful, they'll all be equal in the eyes of the one god...and the whole 'zeus is better than hera' junk will go away. And people don't like being equal to others
            Because that's definitely how it works when religions that preach that are in the majority in the real world

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            Its just racism pure and simple. We really don't know what the Taurons do different but its probably not anything big
            I thought they were just far more devout and thus looked upon as backwards by the more liberal Capricans

Comment

see and i thought they were just different. for example more devout Jews that wear the yamika all day vs more liberal ones that only wear them to services, etc

and it may also be a social thing because Joseph only seems to wear them in public while when he's alone with daniel he doesn't. so it may be a social taboo thingie

the taurons also seem to be assassins and get tattoos while we haven't seen the capricans with tats yet.

i have the idea that joseph is kinda an outcast because he works with the capricans and lives on caprica...so while we might have the capricans looking down on the 'backwards' taurons, we also seem to have taurons looking down on the capricans

sigpic

Comment

wouldn't be bad, but at least it couldn't get as graphic and brutal as rome did
                Yeah it probably won't, since this is Skiffy (and no i won't call it by its "new" silly name) and not BBC or HBO which is a real shame BUT maybe they will film some naughty bits and ad them on the DVD version like they did with the pilot ;-) I wonder if they have something equivalent to the cult of Dionysus and Isis......
                He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
                He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
                And he's wonderful.

Comment

i have the idea that joseph is kinda an outcast because he works with the capricans and lives on caprica...so while we might have the capricans looking down on the 'backwards' taurons, we also seem to have taurons looking down on the capricans
                  I don't think that he is an outcast at all. The Taurons and especially one of the biggest honchos paved Jospehs way through law school and paid the school tuition. I think they are actually very proud of him but are also sometimes annoyed, because he wants to live a mostly crime-free life. I can't wait to see more oif the different cultures of the 12 colonies but especially the Taurons and the Capricans.
                  He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
                  He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
                  And he's wonderful.

Comment

well, i'm sure there are taurons that see Joseph's role, living among and working for the Capricans as a betrayal of who he is and what he is

in that way he's....the black couple that moves into the all white neighborhood (to use a really old cliche), not welcome by their new neighbors and ostracized by their old ones for 'oh, you're too good to live here now huh?'

sigpic

Comment

But Joseph seems to be tied to a certain element of the Tauron society that I'm not sure he is comfortable with. Since some of them paved the way for him by paying for his education, I think they expect something in return, and I seem to find him hesitant about that . although his brother has ties with the criminal element.

Correct me please if I am wrong here. I have no background to go on, and don't understand the BSG thing.
                      What ever the situation, it is the son who grows up to be one of the good guys right? So the uncle's influence is tenuous at best right?
                      Sig by The Carpenter
                      sigpic

Comment

What ever the situation, it is the son who grows up to be one of the good guys right? So the uncle's influence is tenuous at best right?
                        We know too little about it just yet, but I am sure that something will happen in the life of young Bill Adama - an epiphany if you will that will make him choose the fleet but so far we don't know yet if it has something to do with his uncle.
                        And he's wonderful.

Comment

the son grows up to be Bill Adama, captain of the Galactica, so yeah, one of the good guys

I think the uncle's influence is less 'join my life of crime' and more 'let me teach you how to survive'

sigpic

Comment

I wasn't a BSG fan, so I don't know much about the story.
                            I watched Caprica so far, and I'm still not sure if I will continue to do so, but I'm giveing it some more time before I make the decision. At least I know the cylon story.
                            don't try to learn about bsg right now. just watch caprica then go to bsg and the payoff of both stories will be awesome.

all we know about the uncle from bsg is that bill spent his summers with him at his home.
                            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I wasn't a BSG fan, so I don't know much about the story.
                              I watched Caprica so far, and I'm still not sure if I will continue to do so, but I'm giveing it some more time before I make the decision. At least I know the cylon story.
                              You don't need to have watched BSG to like and understand Caprica I think(you might not have a BSG-geekout though ), but give Caprica at least a season to decide if you like it. (On a side not: I already like Caprica more than BSG)

Comment

I'm really looking forward to the new episode, but I'm wondering if Amanda kinda lost her mind when she told everyone at the memorial about her daughters secret life, or was she simply outraged by what she learned about Zoe, and she didn't even think about it and she did what her husband specifically told her not to do, how bad is this whole thing going to affect the Graystones!!!!!!!
                                sigpic
                                siggy made by RogueRanger
                                http://youtu.be/frhgT5CMpjo
                                killing threads one post at a time

Comment

Working...
                                X