Scar (215)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hU$h3rN7242c
    This was a really good ep, but when I first watched it I was not really enthralled with it. As I sat back reading posts in the forums, I thought about it a little. I liked it, and for some unexplicable reason, I had reservations.

The jumping back and forth did start to get a little old. I think the thing that really made me not love it was the fact that Starbuck was turning into something else, and Kat's non-existent acknowledgement that Starbuck played bait for Kat to get a shot. After I realized what my reservations were and being an aspiring writer, suddenly I felt hypocritical. Characters change. As a writer, that's your job. Things don't alway go as planned in real life, why should they in fictional environments. So I admitted to myself that the story premise was very good. The fraility of Starbuck coming out was good to see from a character development perspective. I would also expect Kat's lack of admission of help from Starbuck to come up some time later in this season or next. (RDM and his group are sneaky like that.)
    Ofcourse, then I sat back and watched the episode again while listening to the podcast. It really made me appreciate the episode a ton more. It also made me realize that part of the reason the episode was not a fun watch was due to the attempt of realism of being a viper pilot that they strived to portray. The chair and the pilot jumping out vomiting were all things to give you an idea of the hell these people go through.

In all, I would say, its not a greatly fun episode. It is a very good episode in that it tries to bring the pain and struggle of the pilots and their day to day lives doing this job that very few people in the ragtag fleet seem to want or seem capable of handling. To me, it was close to season one's 33. We were meant to feel the pain and struggle that they had to go through. I think that came through, combined with my other reservations, and made me a little hesitant and first. In all, I think that RDM and crew delivered almost exactly what they wanted too. Ok, now I'm done druthering.

I agree with all you´ve said. I remembered those old WWI and WWII movies with pilots and missions and bombers and so...you know, a mixture of MEMPHIS BELLE and first minutes in THE RIGHT STUFF and duels. The biggest difference is there is no hope of victory, just to live to fly another mission. I loved it....and I loved Anders too, so I feel really sorry for Kara this time. And Kat sucks! Kara confronted Tigh during before the attack, Kara tried Lee to act like a CAG in 33...Kara is a Captain now and Kat has a really BIG mouth, but I guess everyone fights the fear in their own way, hiding it, drowning it....

Comment

Originally Posted by hU$h3rN7242c
      This was a really good ep, but when I first watched it I was not really enthralled with it. As I sat back reading posts in the forums, I thought about it a little. I liked it, and for some unexplicable reason, I had reservations.

The jumping back and forth did start to get a little old. I think the thing that really made me not love it was the fact that Starbuck was turning into something else, and Kat's non-existent acknowledgement that Starbuck played bait for Kat to get a shot. After I realized what my reservations were and being an aspiring writer, suddenly I felt hypocritical. Characters change. As a writer, that's your job. Things don't alway go as planned in real life, why should they in fictional environments. So I admitted to myself that the story premise was very good. The fraility of Starbuck coming out was good to see from a character development perspective. I would also expect Kat's lack of admission of help from Starbuck to come up some time later in this season or next. (RDM and his group are sneaky like that.)
      Ofcourse, then I sat back and watched the episode again while listening to the podcast. It really made me appreciate the episode a ton more. It also made me realize that part of the reason the episode was not a fun watch was due to the attempt of realism of being a viper pilot that they strived to portray. The chair and the pilot jumping out vomiting were all things to give you an idea of the hell these people go through.

In all, I would say, its not a greatly fun episode. It is a very good episode in that it tries to bring the pain and struggle of the pilots and their day to day lives doing this job that very few people in the ragtag fleet seem to want or seem capable of handling. To me, it was close to season one's 33. We were meant to feel the pain and struggle that they had to go through. I think that came through, combined with my other reservations, and made me a little hesitant and first. In all, I think that RDM and crew delivered almost exactly what they wanted too. Ok, now I'm done druthering.

I agree with all you´ve said. I remembered those old WWI and WWII movies with pilots and missions and bombers and so...you know, a mixture of MEMPHIS BELLE and first minutes in THE RIGHT STUFF and duels. The biggest difference is there is no hope of victory, just to live to fly another mission. I loved it....and I loved Anders too, so I feel really sorry for Kara this time. And Kat sucks! Kara confronted Tigh during before the attack, Kara tried Lee to act like a CAG in 33...Kara is a Captain now and Kat has a really BIG mouth, but I guess everyone fights the fear in their own way, hiding it, drowning it....
      Yesterday 05:43 PM
      Night Marshal meh, honestly Its one of the better eps in season two, but for me it just seems to be missing something. Granted my opinion goes up with every viewing. Kat also gets on my nerves I'm sure some of that is by deside but that doesn't mean I'm going to like the ep in spite of it. I did like the fact that Kat not Starbuck gets the Kill on scar. Other than that I it was fairly tv.

Kat has become an uncute Starbuck. Remember, Kat used to be a scared speed junkie, but she focused.

Starbuck punched Tigh and admitted in this episode that she had always been a lone wolf. Starbuck's character grew beyond the Dirk Benedict mold she inherited and is becoming more like Appollo. Appollo is becoming his father and his father is moving from the lucky outcast and rebel to an admiral under civilian supervision.

The characters are growing, but I hope they do not forget who they were because what they were is what got them through (Adama's disdain of the new navigational system).

At least Kat's CAG doesn't have suppressed feelings of love for her, unlike Starbuck's boss

Comment

Originally posted by Auralis
        could have been a great episode, but was imo pretty much ruined by the horrible editing. there was no flow in the story at all.
        Originally posted by Titans
        Also the "almost" sex scene between Kara and Lee...a little weird.
        I have to agree, the editing in the "Rutting 'Buck and Apollo-gize for not following through Ma'am" scene was whorrible. Did anyone notice Apollo had Starbuck down to her scivvies then she was suddenly re-pantsed?

Comment

Originally posted by wikeja
          I have to agree, the editing in the "Rutting 'Buck and Apollo-gize for not following through Ma'am" scene was whorrible. Did anyone notice Apollo had Starbuck down to her scivvies then she was suddenly re-pantsed?
          Yes, I did notice. and those were half down. Cute little almost shot of her bodunkus.
          But what a great job of portraying the angst ridden turmoil. Was she able to convince herself that "there is nothing here. Nothing!!" hmmmm.

This episode had a "wow" factor that's been missing for while. I was really sucked into the story. I see this one as the "33" of season two.
          Freedom is Slavery. Spending is Stimulus. Hope is Change

Comment

I loved it. I thought it showed a very human side to the "do no wrong" character of Starbuck. (not that she does no wrong...just that she thinks that way.)

I thought Kat was conviencingly a *****. I wanted to smack her...so if that is what they were going for...it worked.

The Sharon/Starbuck scene was great...

...but the Starbuck alone with the gun-camera footage was painful. I loved it.

Comment

hi
              i'm looking for screencaps of the credits of this episode.
              especifically, the moment when the more 'active' music starts and starbuck appears on screen.
              i haven't been able to find it anywhere
              SAVE SG-1
              Send tissue boxes with the legend "SEND MORE!" to Sci-Fi's TPTB

Comment

I really didn't like this one. Almost everything about it irritated me.

I really didn't enjoy seeing Starbuck revert to the out of control, drunk, ludicrous figure she was in the pilot. I thought she'd moved on from that.

The entire plot seemed to be there simply to tell us that Starbuck misses Anders and wants to go rescue him. Didn't need an hour for that. Or all those annoying flashbacks within flashbacks. Or the wobbly, swooping, grainy camerawork.

I usually quite like Kat, but she just annoyed the hell out of me. If I'd been Starbuck I'd have broken that bottle over her head.

And where the heck the Theme from the Deerhunter came into it, I have absolutely zero clue! It was so incongruous and out of place. No idea why they chose that and not some original in series music. It just sounded deeply bizarre.

The only thing I did like was the short scene between Sharon and Starbuck. That was beautifully done. I loved the moment when Sharon momentarily forgot who she was and leaned forward to put her hand on Starbuck's knee in classic 'girl talk' mode. Only to be brought up short when the guards cocked their weapons. Very, very nicely done.

But apart from that, this was a waste of an hour. It all seemed just very self-indulgent. Or self-absorbed as my husband put it.

And a thought struck me, watching. Why is there so much resistence to going back and rescuing the people on Caprica? Granted they've recently picked up Pegasus and that gave them a temporary shot in the arm when it comes to training new Viper pilots to replace those lost in combat. But that won't tide them over forever. And they have a finite, relatively small total no. of people they can turn to for training and replacement. They can't find new pilots forever. Not everyone in the fleet will be suitable to train. And at the rate they are losing pilots they're going to be in deep trouble very soon. So you'd think they'd hare back to Caprica at a rate of knots if there was even the faintest possibility that they could pick up a few hundred trained fighters.

Albion
                Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

1. OK...does anyone on Galactica NOT have a screw loose(other than the Admiral)?

2. Don't have a clue what Lee's role is on the Galactica/fleet.

3. The flashbacks weren't too bad here.

Overall though, I found that our trip through Lee's head was slightly better than our trip through Starbuck's.

Still an OK ep though.
                  I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

one thing i did learn from it, all the cylons even the raiders and the walking metal ones are resurrected. I didn't know that

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

I just loved this episode! Especially the Lee and Kara even though it was weird. I think there's something there even though Kara is stuck on Anders. Just remember when she said Lee's name as she was in bed with Baltar. As for Lee, we all heard him say he loves her when she got back from Caprica. I hope they get together, they are both so intense that it would be fun to watch!

Comment

Awesome episode. One of my favourites of the series. Loved the whole concept of Scar and the resurection. Plus how Starbuck was struggling to deal with leaving people behind on Caprica. Great ending where she let her wingman take the kill for the team, and how she mentioned all the dead pilots afterwards.
                        Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

Originally posted by Albion View Post
                          I usually quite like Kat, but she just annoyed the hell out of me. If I'd been Starbuck I'd have broken that bottle over her head.
                          i know! & then when she punched starbuck....

Originally posted by beale947 View Post
                          one thing i did learn from it, all the cylons even the raiders and the walking metal ones are resurrected. I didn't know that
                          quite interesting

ok, so i just watched this ep, i enjoyed it. i liked the remembering of all the pilots. the lee/kara thing was awkward as in i didn't expect it from kara. oh well

Comment

So far this is my favourite episode of the series ..... There's just something about this I think is cool.

And that we learn the raiders are just like trained pets.... Not original but still cool. I like this episode and Resurrection Ship.
                            Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                              So far this is my favourite episode of the series ..... There's just something about this I think is cool.

And that we learn the raiders are just like trained pets.... Not original but still cool. I like this episode and Resurrection Ship.
                              i don't like this ep it made me wanna kill kat more then i already want to
                              this has happened before and will happen again

Comment

Originally posted by the missing 7 View Post
                                i don't like this ep it made me wanna kill kat more then i already want to
                                I was kinda hoping she'd get a belting, maybe put her in the infirmary for a few episodes. Annoying prat
                                Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X