No announcement yet.

Epiphanies (213)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here's a thought i had after watching this ep...

we all assume Baltar will eventually go to the Cylon side and perhaps even become the Imperious Leader...but that's based only on what happened in the original.

now we have an ep where the President gets injected with DNA of a partly unkonwn nature which both doctors can only describe as strange.

we know the blood, or something in it, wipes out the cancer...but what else might it have done/be doing to her?

in the original, Baltar was already in a position of power for the final betrayal of the colonies to the cylons.

in this version, baltar played a role in the betrayal but has not yet jumped ship and has done his best to safeguard himself so as not to be discovered while trying to come to terms with 6 in the head and his part in the destruction of the colonies, but in general, has been acting to be a benefit to the survivors...we assume as a ploy until he makes his move.

but over there, already a leader and getting a bit more dark since the beginning of the season is Roslyn...newly injected with a foreign substance...perhaps turning into something Imperious as the cylon substance has more time to get into her body.

just a thought that occured to me....

perhaps it was addressed in a spoiler somewhere or a podcast....i don't listen to them...
    Thanks!
    Jordan

my page
    My LJ
    From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Originally posted by triabita
      Hello, nasty rant slightly off topic follows...

Baltar: Ok, can someone explain to me how a guy jerking around, talking to himself be the vice president of the colonies?

He has been cought too many times from various personel varying from random crew up to Roslin and Adama to literaly jerk and act totaly insane (this episode he was choking himself by pulling his own tie, frame with a crew member looking at him).

His scientific mastermind is still not enough to not have raised one single eyebrow throught the whole series.

Also i am under the impression that no man could stay sain should he be exposed to such an experience as Baltar, having a second persona (#6) constantly in his mind.

apart from that, i really love BSG =)

--===KILL BALTAR===--
      I will agree with you on the VP part..but nooo, don't kill Baltar...cuz apart from Lee and Adama..Baltar is my #1 favorite character yea, I know...call ME crazy. Yet, I cannot wait until the storyline all unfolds..will Baltar turn against Adama, etc? Epiphanies is my favorite episode of all time thus far
      sigpic

Comment

Too bad RM didn't kill off the Yee-Haw boys (the ones who assaulted Helo and the Chief).

Comment

Originally posted by somedude
          Too bad RM didn't kill off the Yee-Haw boys (the ones who assaulted Helo and the Chief).
          why? they're fun frakking a**holes, but that's exactly the reason they're fun... "the sunshine boys" LOL

Comment

I actually though the guy in uniform looks an awful lot like Captain Kelly, the LSO. Taller and not as heavy looking as Fisk.

Also, it looks like Racetrack in a suit walks right past 6 and Gaius in one of the last scenes when they are making out, I think its the one where 6 looks at Roslin.
            ...but now I know
            That twenty centuries of stony sleep
            Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
            And what rough beast, its hour come 'round at last,
            Slouches toward Bethlehem to be born?

Comment

Originally posted by Cathara
              * The almost abortion - That was not cool. I respect the characters of Roslin and Adama tremendously, but I think they were way off base with the call to abort the baby. Because of anomalies in it's blood? No better reason than that? I just couldn't understand the justification.

IMHO - The truth is...the baby was to be killed because they were frighted of what it might be. Just as they are still frightened of Sharon. With good cause, and I'll grant that easily.

I just keep going back to the thought that there might be no better way to end the conflict between human and cylon than for them both to have the same "grandchildren", so to speak.

This baby - and any like it to follow - could be the fleet's best hope. Or it's worst. It's random - and that makes it very interesting!
              I thought it made perfect sense to me. Neither Roslyn nor Adama trusts Sharon even after all she's done for them. The other Sharon also did a lot for the fleet, but still ended up shooting Adama. How do they know that this Sharon won't suddenly "activate" and kill again? The same goes for her "baby" (for lack of a better word). They still don't know exactly what she's carrying. From what they can tell, it's a baby. But from they can tell, Sharon is a human being too! What if the Cylons made her pregnant on purpose (which they did!), tricked Helo into thinking that this is his baby, had Sharon come up with this whole act in order to gain sympathy, all so that they would allow her to give birth. Who knows who or what she will give birth to or what its purpose will be. Roslyn has shown that she will not hesitate to blow any Cylon out the nearest airlock. This isn't any different. Also, the fact that you said that the baby could be the fleet's best hope - or it's worse - is more than reason enough for any sane President to say I'm not taking that risk!

Comment

of course they had the whole cast in that place - just to have us endlessly debating about it lol

Comment

Originally posted by userfriendly
                  of course they had the whole cast in that place - just to have us endlessly debating about it lol
                  Or were they simply extras?

Comment

A few questions:
                    • Does anyone else expect there to be more "side effects" to the Cylon transfusion than the quick cure for cancer? After all Baltar sees an "internal 6" without a chip in his head or any Cylon injections.
                    • Does this mean Roslyn will foreswear the use of Kamala extract? What will this do to her status as a religious leader?
                    • What if Roslyn's visions continue even after she ends her previous use of the psychotropic treatment? Will she confess to them and expose herself as possibly being contaminated by Cylon infulences? Will she lose the trust of her constituents if the details of her "treatment" become public?
                    • It wasn't clear from Baltar's explanation if the fetal blood was the only blood without an identifiable "type". This would make sense, otherwise it would be a trivial task to devise a Cylon detector. It seems to me that the implication was that all Cylon blood had this characteristic. If so, why not transfuse from Sharon herself? Why not have regular "donations" from her for an anti-cancer treatment? Why not name the child Panacea?
                    • What's the point of the BSG teaser with the glowing spine on the fetus? Previously it appeared that only sexual activity resulted in this kind of bio-lumenescence (or, perhaps, it is a signal at the very moment of conception, implying that the original six had conceived a child with Baltar). It was a fine teaser, with all ther right ominous overtones, but how seriously are we to take it?
                    Last edited by anotherquestion; 08 February 2006, 09:42 PM.

Comment

I absolutly love this show. It's amazing, and the nearest show to it's caliber with acting talent is Lost, maybe.. That said, each episode in season two gets better and better...

I fealt sick after watching this episode. I'm all for pro-choice, but the fact that they Gave the "Cylon" none, and her actual reaction was powerful. The scene were Sharon freaks out and shatters the glass with her shoulder/head is amazing and just made me go "Wow."

I'm glad to see Gaiyus be his own man, even if it's killing us all...

Comment

there are so much stuff in this eppy that i want to know about now. one example is the fact that baltar handed over the warhead to gina and that other guy...i want to know what is up with that and if he is gonna turn against adama. i mean no one actually trusts baltar and now that roslin is cured he will not be president now, and now i think he is switching gears into wanting to go "another route" so to speak.

that is my thoughts.
                        sigpic

Comment

I loved this episode. I thought it was a vast improvement over the last two.

Resurrection Ship (1) felt like a huge letdown after Pegasus, and Resurrection Ship (2) felt like a huge letdown from part 1!

Where Resurrection Ship felt like filler just to establih a couple of new plot threads, while Epiphanies felt like honest-to-Gods storytelling.
                          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Okay, I haven't read over the entirety of this thread yet, but I have to add that I love where RDM et al are taking Gaius' character.

When Gaius countered Gina's demand that he take control of the fleet, as president, and acquiesce to the demands of the Cylon sympathizers, he seemed to make a significant turn, arguably stronger than when he killed Crashdown. He seems unable to come to terms with his selfish nature, but is sure of what he is not, and never wants to be (the architect of mankind's genocide). Before he was hiding from accountability, but now he is choosing to avoid a position in which he could do great harm due to his weakness/love for Gina/Six (I would say he's left Six, in favour of Gina).

The one thing I'll say was disappointing about Baltar's scenes in Epiphanies, was that the coming and going of Six, from shot to shot, felt much more contrived than the first season (it's felt contrived since Pegasus, IMO).

Also, although Roslin's cure was the greatest quick fix I've ever seen, I thought Mary McDonell's performance was excellent. And it partially made up for the somewhat disappointing cure.

Baltar is still one of my favourite characters in the series, no one else wields such a double-edged sword.

Comment

Originally posted by MASON

The one thing I'll say was disappointing about Baltar's scenes in Epiphanies, was that the coming and going of Six, from shot to shot, felt much more contrived than the first season (it's felt contrived since Pegasus, IMO).

of course that's because we don't love her anymore - we've got gina now she's more humanic a cylon than sharon. sharon seems to have at least somewhat of a morale stance, but gina is purely gorgeously evil and now that woman's got her hand on a nuclear war head, whooooohoooo

*cough*

Comment

Originally posted by userfriendly
                                of course that's because we don't love her anymore - we've got gina now she's more humanic a cylon than sharon. sharon seems to have at least somewhat of a morale stance, but gina is purely gorgeously evil and now that woman's got her hand on a nuclear war head, whooooohoooo

*cough*

No, it's not so much that, as the camera work.

Typically, Six would move into a shot unexpectedly and the only time we'd see Gaius wandering aimlessly, or staring into space, were at the end of a scene. I thought there was too much play back and forth within one scene; it seemed a little dumbed down, perhaps for those in the audience that were unacquainted with Gaius' relation to Six.

However, directing, camerawork, and editing aside, I think Six is being played colder than usual, she's generally pissed off and bitter, but lacking that righteous anger that was so frightening and moving. I think this is a conscious effort on Tricia Helfer's part to increase the contrast between Six and Gina, a much warmer character (believing that God would forgive humanity for the destruction of the Resurrection Ship).

On top of that, Gina looks really sexy in glasses.

Comment

Working...
                                X