No announcement yet.

Maelstrom (317)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am similarly baffled by people who think that skipping ahead a year was in any way a reset. There was no need to show the settling of New Caprica before the Cylons showed up. Nothing was reset, i.e. put back the way it was in such a way that it might as well never have changed. While the fleet eventually went back on the run and many characters resumed their old positions, the experience of New Caprica changed them and the feel of things.
    The cure for Roslin's cancer, while not exactly a new thing for sci-fi, was believable. If you were making bio-androids, wouldn't you make them resistant to disease in addition to being stronger and tougher? Their vulnerability to the encephalitis virus was also believable, because humans had been immune to it for centuries and it was simply overlooked.

Comment

I don't think it's the end for Cara.

The line that interested me most was, "See, there's nothing so terrible about death. When you finally face it, it's beautiful. You're free now, to become what you already are."

Whether she's actually only of the last five cylons, or something different, I can't say, obviously. But this line about being and becoming would not have been there if this was simply an end for her.

I think it can be read in several different manners: perhaps she did eject, and by facing death in such a personal manner, is now free from the fear of it, and now unlimited and unconstrained by some of the petty concerns that had kept her from being what she actually had the potential to be. Or, of course, if she isn't really human after all, now she'll be able to fulfil the destiny that was already there, but from which her human allegiance tore her away.

Either way... no. This series is way too coherent to just throw something like that out for no reason.

L I V E J O U R N A L
      because I tend to disappear

Comment

What if we see Kara in the next ep :-) that would be anticlimatic wouldn't. Obviously, unlike the whole Carson deal, the TPTB aren't letting much info out, which can only mean that they're preparing some plot about this and they don't want to spoil it. If the character had been killed off there would be widespread interviews that just said 'we had to give up the character", or "we will miss katee", and such. Instead, all we were told was that kara would die... not leave the show. Since one of the main premises of this show is the apparent ambiguity of death, she could still continue as a character.
        My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

Starbuck will appear in the last 15 seconds of the season finale to deliver the s3-s4 cliffhanger. My prediction anyway

Comment

Originally posted by BubblingOverWithIdeas View Post
            I am similarly baffled by people who think that skipping ahead a year was in any way a reset.
            Not a reset, just deeply irritating.

Would I have preferred to spend an entire year of stories on New Caprica? No. But if you're going to set up a storyline as monumental as colonization, you should actually try DEALING with it instead of skipping over the whole thing and moving on to the Cylon invasion. But that's a subject for another thread (and one I will move to if it's brought up).

As for Starbuck... short of actually being killed by a Cylon, I think her death was about as likely as you can get. She died in the cockpit, what more do you want? At least it wasn't an exploding... bulkhead or food poisoning or a bar fight or a lover's quarrel. I'm very interested to see how the show is going to continue without her because while she was never one of my favorites I would have said she was one of the more essential threads in the saga.

Comment

My problem with the one year jump was how it was handled, it was just thrown in and then the season primere was even later on. I wish they would have shown more on the planet after the Cylons took over and where we started.

A reset button to me is the dumb love story, that was pointless.

And if she doesn't come back I feel that it would be a waste. It was her destiny to die a pointless death? That's lame and there has to be more.

Comment

On scifi.coms video page I saw a short video where the actress that plays starbuck saying she will find out she is a cylon.

Comment

Originally posted by Origin1981 View Post
                  On scifi.coms video page I saw a short video where the actress that plays starbuck saying she will find out she is a cylon.
                  link?

I loved this ep it was for sure the best in a long time. I kinda hope she`s not gone for good cos mystical plot could be very good.

To those that said that she ejected i don`t think thats the case cos from what i saw her grabbing the ejection handle was just basic instinct for survival. But when she was back herself she changed her mind and she let go...

Comment

Woah

Just woah

I fell

So much

apathy to the whole death of starbuck.
                    Good riddance and never come back.
                    Maybe now the show has a change to get back to been a good show, but i doubt it ever will.

Comment

Originally posted by Oreo View Post
                      My problem with the one year jump was how it was handled, it was just thrown in and then the season primere was even later on. I wish they would have shown more on the planet after the Cylons took over and where we started.

A reset button to me is the dumb love story, that was pointless.

And if she doesn't come back I feel that it would be a waste. It was her destiny to die a pointless death? That's lame and there has to be more.
                      I totally agree about the love story. That was a total reset button resolution, as accurately said by Starbuck herself in this episode "after everything that's happened, we're back to square one again". Their relationship basically went back to the way they were when the show started!

Comment

Originally posted by capricacitygal View Post
                        Holy Frak General Hospital is invading the thread.
                        Well, the series does get pretty soapy at times.

I'll say one thing for last night's episode. This is the first episode in a long time that has been worth discussing the next day. I mean most of this season's episodes haven't stuck up this much debate.

After thinking about it, I really think she is alive and will be seen again soon. I don't know about the details, but she's one of the big stars and she's still under contract. Plus, remember what she said to Apollo about their relationship? (Sorry for the paraphrase) "We're back we're started.....skip a few lines.....I guess this is all we're ever gonna be."

I don't buy that. If she were really dead then the dramatic way to end that scene would have been for him to say he loved her and wanted her not Dee. She's not dead...at least not permently dead.

Edit: I didn't read Apollo123's post first. I agree.
                        I predict that Agent Dark's prediction is correct.
                        Last edited by Gate gal; 05 March 2007, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                          As for Starbuck... short of actually being killed by a Cylon, I think her death was about as likely as you can get. She died in the cockpit, what more do you want? At least it wasn't an exploding... bulkhead or food poisoning or a bar fight or a lover's quarrel. I'm very interested to see how the show is going to continue without her because while she was never one of my favorites I would have said she was one of the more essential threads in the saga.
                          Dying in a cockpit I can handle, but there was absolutely no point to her death. They've spent a lot of this season establishing her "destiny" and the fact that she is "the chosen one". Do you really think that the writers meant for the chosen one's destiny to die alone in a cockpit with absolutely nothing to show for it? There is no way this is end for Kara Thrace!

Comment

Originally posted by apollo123 View Post
                            Dying in a cockpit I can handle, but there was absolutely no point to her death.
                            Sometimes people die for no reason or because of stupid accidents or unforeseen circumstances or whatever.

There is no way this is end for Kara Thrace!
                            Wasn't that the whole point? This isn't the end; it's a turning point. You can't know that her death was "meaningless" until you see how they plan to handle it in future eps.

Or perhaps she should have died earlier in the ep so that we could see her ascension/rescue/whatever and be left with no question whatsoever as to the supposed destiny of Kara Thrace.

Although if they did I'm sure people would be complaining that it happened too fast and that the story should have been drawn out more instead of crammed into one ep. The lament would be that we knew everything too fast and had no surprises left for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Auralis View Post
                              Woah

Just woah

I fell

So much

apathy to the whole death of starbuck.
                              Good riddance and never come back.
                              Maybe now the show has a change to get back to been a good show, but i doubt it ever will.
                              Considering is WAS a good show with Starbuck alive and well, the chances for it getting back to good are nil

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal View Post

I don't buy that. If she were really dead then the dramatic way to end that scene would have been for him to say he loved her and wanted her not Dee. She's not dead...at least not permently dead.

Ha! You are absolutely right!! Starbuck would truly be red-shirted if Lee were to admit that he loved her!!!

Although, when the two were talking under the viper, it looked like that could have happened! Oh, and could Lee have grimaced more when describing his marriage as 'best it has ever been"?

Comment

Working...
                                X