Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking A Break From All Your Worries (313)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If another person is dragged into this love quadrangle and/or one of the four of them is a Cylon, then the show will have crossed the line for drama into the world of soap opera. Such instances of WTF insanity should be taken in controlled doses.
    Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
    The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
    I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
    A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
    That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
    Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
    Caboose: They could be worse?
    Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Hey. Here's an interesting thing about Gaeta's attack on Baltar: This action was mentioned in an Entertainment Weekly review of the show back in October. They don't mention Gaeta specifically, but did mention that a character stabbed Baltar in the neck.

I'm surprised that this scene was filmed and completed early enough to make it into the fall EW review. It could be possible that the scene was sent to them apart from the entire episode.

Any thoughts?

Dan

Comment

Maybe characters will routinely stab him in the neck. It could be a running joke. "OMG! You stabbed Baltar in the neck! You frakker!"

Comment

I just wish that Gaeta would've hit a jugular.

...say. Maybe, instead of not quite throwing him out of airlocks, giving him halucenogenic drugs, or stabbing him in the neck, they should just have Cottle castrate Baltar. It would keep him out of at least half the trouble he normally gets into.

Comment

I have to agree with what someone said earlier in this thread--

The music in this episode was absolutely outstanding. I think it was the first few minutes that got me-- with Baltar and Six singing.

Gods, I can't wait until the Season 3 soundtrack is out.
            McKay : (incredibly high pitched) HEEEY! IT'S MISTER MOM! How are the kids??

Zelenka: Do not even SPEAK to me.

Comment

Originally posted by apotheion View Post
              Just a thought, maybe the little girl that pushed him under might be one of the real final five? There was a lot of focus on her that seemed a little out of place.

I'm probably off, though. Was just a thought.
              lol well u never know it was funny how that the girl decided to drown baltar when he started to give them 2much information and adama did say the drug makes the person think they are dieing. so what that girl did would be impossible. which i guess makes me think the little girl was head six taking on the form on the little girl

Comment

Originally posted by Temp2 View Post
                I just wish that Gaeta would've hit a jugular.

...say. Maybe, instead of not quite throwing him out of airlocks, giving him halucenogenic drugs, or stabbing him in the neck, they should just have Cottle castrate Baltar. It would keep him out of at least half the trouble he normally gets into.
                Heh, I was thinking that one of the best things Baltar could have done was get one of his entourage pregnant to add numbers to the human race. Might want to leave his naughty bits intact, if for only the utter shortage of humans...

Comment

Originally posted by Mav87 View Post
                  Baltar isn't a heartless murderer, he's a victim. Slightly self-centered, but a victim nonetheless.
                  I agree he's not a heartless murderer, but he's far from just "slightly self-centered". All he cares about is saving his own ass. Remember the civilian ship carrying the doctor who knew that he was a traitor? How he tried to convince Roslyn that the ship had been compromised and how happy he was that they destroyed the ship and everyone on it so that no one would find out his dirty little secret? I think that counts as a little more than "slightly self-centered".

Comment

True, but the ship was empty (or so we think based on Apollo not seeing any passengers through the windows) and was on a collision course with the fleet. So by trying to save his own ass, Baltar actually ended up doing a favour. Just like when he pointed to the right place for the mining facility in The Hand Of God episode, and I'm sure there are other times.

With regards to this episode, I really enjoyed it, the second half seems to be going well. Enjoyed seeing the very dark side of Roslin (even if it was only a bluff), well acted though by both McDonnell and Callis. Could have done without all the emo-love angst but I won't go on about it as its been mentioned alot already!

Comment

Originally posted by Vyse View Post
                      HBO's terrific series "Rome" is having a new episode sunday night at 9 PM, so there is one show worth watching!
                      I'm watching Rome but haven't been quite as impressed with this second season as I was the first. Still entertaining, though.

Sunday night is quite the angsty viewing night right now. The Roman soap opera followed by the BSG soap opera. Well, okay, I'm stretching things a bit - I really don't think BSG is a soap opera they've just picked up a few tricks from the soaps and run with them.

But good to see that the ratings picked up for this second episode. I still love the show and really want to see the full story arc play out. If the ratings pick up that bodes well for a 4th season.

And, responding to one of the comments up above. I don't have a problem with episodes without explosions, major story elements, etc. Heck I've liked plenty of the character-driven episodes dealing with politics, the aftermath of New Caprica, etc.

I certainly don't mind the characters having flaws, layers, screwing up, etc. It's what makes BSG different and dark and complex.

I just think the quadrangle seems manufactured solely to keep Lee and Kara apart and it feels contrived and is sprinkled with signature moments all the soaps use. The characters exchange angsty looks whenever they're in the same room but never really talk to one another in a meaningful way. It looks like they might reconcile and then one of the characters acts stupid - not once, but over and over, serving to keep the couple apart.

I trust Ron Moore to pull it all together by the end of the season, but right now the Lee/Dee/Kara/Anders foursome has been stretched out *way* too long for my tastes.
                      Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by apollo123 View Post
                        I agree he's not a heartless murderer, but he's far from just "slightly self-centered". All he cares about is saving his own ass. Remember the civilian ship carrying the doctor who knew that he was a traitor? How he tried to convince Roslyn that the ship had been compromised and how happy he was that they destroyed the ship and everyone on it so that no one would find out his dirty little secret? I think that counts as a little more than "slightly self-centered".
                        Baltar gave a nuke to a Cylon who destroyed a ship with children on it. Baltar deserves all that he is getting from both Cylon and Humans. They knew the nuke came from his lab. I hope they have enough on Baltar now to put 2 and 2 together him away just for that.
                        Last edited by Chig; 30 January 2007, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by keshou View Post
                          I just think the quadrangle seems manufactured solely to keep Lee and Kara apart and it feels contrived and is sprinkled with signature moments all the soaps use.
                          Yes! Exactly! It feels incredibly fake. I've never understood Lee/Dee and it felt like a painfully obvious attempt to keep Lee and Kara apart... which is exactly what it was. The pairing was incredibly random. It would be like having SG-1's Walter hooking up with Nirrti; it's beyond left field. There was never ANY indication that EITHER of them had any feelings for each other and when they were suddenly attracted it was done in an awkward and ham-fisted way. Other than the odd kiss most of their relationship has been them telling each other how they're in love with no actual evidence to back it up. How in hell are we supposed to believe this is real? Even the actors don't seem to have any spark between them, they're just reading lines and going through the motions. Kara/Anders is marginally better, but it's still just as artificial as Lee/Dee. I should think that both Lee and Kara are frakked up enough to be kept apart on their own terms without needing to invent excuses in the form of other partners. It's unfair to the audience to employ such a pathetic and over-used plot device and frankly it's unfair to the characters- particularly Dee and Anders- to make them go through this crud. All of the above being my opinion, of course.

I also deeply resent the producers for making me hate a character (Dee) who used to be one of my favorites, all because of this idiotic manufactured storyline. I detest the use of characters as temporary roadblocks to a very obvious romance. And if they pull an Alias and have either Dee or Anders revealed as a cylon in order to justify the infidelity I'll only be that much more wroth.

It's reaching a breaking point for me and if they don't cut out this soap opera crap soon- and for good!- I may have to stop watching entirely because it's ruining my enjoyment of the rest of the show. It's a poisonous taint and I want it gone. Permanently.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                            Yes! Exactly! It feels incredibly fake. I've never understood Lee/Dee and it felt like a painfully obvious attempt to keep Lee and Kara apart... which is exactly what it was. The pairing was incredibly random. It would be like having SG-1's Walter hooking up with Nirrti; it's beyond left field. There was never ANY indication that EITHER of them had any feelings for each other and when they were suddenly attracted it was done in an awkward and ham-fisted way. Other than the odd kiss most of their relationship has been them telling each other how they're in love with no actual evidence to back it up. How in hell are we supposed to believe this is real? Even the actors don't seem to have any spark between them, they're just reading lines and going through the motions. Kara/Anders is marginally better, but it's still just as artificial as Lee/Dee. I should think that both Lee and Kara are frakked up enough to be kept apart on their own terms without needing to invent excuses in the form of other partners. It's unfair to the audience to employ such a pathetic and over-used plot device and frankly it's unfair to the characters- particularly Dee and Anders- to make them go through this crud. All of the above being my opinion, of course.

I also deeply resent the producers for making me hate a character (Dee) who used to be one of my favorites, all because of this idiotic manufactured storyline. I detest the use of characters as temporary roadblocks to a very obvious romance. And if they pull an Alias and have either Dee or Anders revealed as a cylon in order to justify the infidelity I'll only be that much more wroth.

It's reaching a breaking point for me and if they don't cut out this soap opera crap soon- and for good!- I may have to stop watching entirely because it's ruining my enjoyment of the rest of the show. It's a poisonous taint and I want it gone. Permanently.

It would have been a perfect place to end it in the boxing ring with Apollo and Starbuck beating the tar out of one another. Perhaps they needed something to slow the pace of the show. Then again maybe there is some angle they are going to spring on us about "love" just as they have with "are you alive"...
                            or "is it enough to just survive".... nah, just die quadrangle.

Comment

Yes head Six told Baltar before he got drugged that "i might not be able to help you" and when six just magically appeared in his hallicinative state i knew that was head six and the girl drowning him would have been head Six blocking the flow of infomation thats her helping him

Comment

Originally posted by Temp2 View Post
                                ...? Sorry if I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, but Skiffy isn't airing the Super Bowl- they're airing a Ghost Hunters marathon, and then the first two episodes of The Dresden files, followed by Rapture and TABFAYW.

That said, Scifi, DOES show ECW, if you can call that a sport.
                                I don't live in the US so i don't have a clue what its showing, i only said that because Sci Fi already does show sports they show wrestling and they call it science fiction lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X