No announcement yet.

A Measure Of Salvation (307)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And what kind of tactically stupid move is it to bring a Resurrection Ship into battle? They obviously work over distance, so why risk it?

Comment

Originally posted by Excali5033 View Post
      And what kind of tactically stupid move is it to bring a Resurrection Ship into battle? They obviously work over distance, so why risk it?
      Maybe they didn't want to leave it unguarded.

Comment

Originally posted by Excali5033 View Post
        I could be mistaken on this, but I'm pretty sure there is a maximum range for the downloads. In past episodes it looked like they normally positioned the res. ship outside of visual range, so my guess is that they showed it to let us know it actually jumped in.

Comment

i don't think they have ever bought it in to battle before thou.

Comment

Originally posted by hbk314 View Post
            It's pathetic how hypocritical Adama is. He "terminates" Roslin's presidency for interfering with the military and putting the fleet at risk, but lets Helo off when his actions were a lot worse in regard to fleet safety.
            Point the first: Humans are hypocritical creatures. We contradict ourselves. We make decisions and then we make different decisions, sometimes given the exact same circumstances.

Point the second: Laura Roslin was not making a moral argument but a religious one. I suspect that a moral argument, such as the one Helo made, is much more likely to appeal to Adama than 'I need to get the arrow of Athena because prophecy says so' is.

Comment

Originally posted by Legionnaire View Post
              Good to see that the Raptors have rocket pods now, gives them a little more bite instead of their old style of running away the moment anything even remotely dangerous came anywhere near them.
              They've always had rocket pods. They used them in 'Kobol's Last Gleaming.' They've just never used them in space before.

It's probably best that they not use them too often, though. Replacing those rockets is going to be difficult at best.

Comment

No, they have never brought it into battle before. And yes, it was a pretty stupid move to bring the Ressurrection ship that close, but it wouldnt have mattered if it was right there or had it not jumped exactly to where the fight was, because if it had jumped somewhere away from the fight when the Cylon fleet moved in to attack, it still would have jumped in range for ressurrections to occur (yes there is a maximum range for downloads). However, jumping so close put the Res ship not only in danger of the virus but of the actual potential fight aswell, which was dumb because it's a pretty fragile ship.
                They've always had rocket pods. They used them in 'Kobol's Last Gleaming.' They've just never used them in space before.

It's probably best that they not use them too often, though. Replacing those rockets is going to be difficult at best.
                You are right and I stand corrected. Still pretty cool to see those rockets in use, though they didnt seem to be too effective.
                "Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" - Tom Zarek

Comment

Originally posted by Scyld View Post
                  Helo did the right thing, and his actions made me cheer. I would do the same in his place in a heartbeat; but then, the morally correct action is not always the one that leads to your survival or even to the survival of your species.

Compromise is easy; goodness is hard, and unpopular.
                  How is not ending a war with a genocidal race a good thing? If they are human it would be like whipping out a country, sad but if they threaten the entire world you would have to, if they are non-human we can just make more Cylons if we wanted. If the Soviet Union launched nukes their own cities would have gotten hit, we wouldn't do the "good" thing and just let them kill us all.

I'm glad you can allow 40,000 people to die but still feel good, where is their choice?

Comment

disappointed in this episode. I don't think Adama should let Helo off the hook that easy. He should come in and kick the chair out from under him like he did starbuck in the last episode

Comment

I am also in love with the piano music behind Baltar-on-the-Base-Star.
                      Words to live by: "When in doubt, shoot at the guy yelling 'Kree!'."

Let's try this again: Spoiler-free 'til Season 4.5.

EJO on the blooper reel: "I hope you like it... or I'll SQUASH YOUR NUTS."

Spoiler:
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Human Shield View Post
                        How is not ending a war with a genocidal race a good thing? If they are human it would be like whipping out a country, sad but if they threaten the entire world you would have to, if they are non-human we can just make more Cylons if we wanted. If the Soviet Union launched nukes their own cities would have gotten hit, we wouldn't do the "good" thing and just let them kill us all.

I'm glad you can allow 40,000 people to die but still feel good, where is their choice?
                        The ends do not justify the means. Ending a war with a genocidal race is well and good. Ending the war by becoming a genocidal race yourself is not. No, the Cylons are not humans, but they're sentient beings, and as such there the same inherent value to a Cylon's life as there is to a human's life. And if humanity is willing to embrace genocide to stave off its own extinction, then humanity has shown that it would be better for it to become extinct.

Comment

It is all about your morales. If someone murders a person you love, then do you murder them? Gandhi once said, "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." Sharon once asked Adama, "Why does humanity deserve to survive?" If you can't be better than your enemy, then you have become your enemy and you might aswell look into the mirror. That is Helo's line of thinking and though it may be ideological, it was most likely the "right" thing to do.
                          "Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" - Tom Zarek

Comment

Originally posted by Scyld View Post
                            The ends do not justify the means. Ending a war with a genocidal race is well and good. Ending the war by becoming a genocidal race yourself is not. No, the Cylons are not humans, but they're sentient beings, and as such there the same inherent value to a Cylon's life as there is to a human's life. And if humanity is willing to embrace genocide to stave off its own extinction, then humanity has shown that it would be better for it to become extinct.
                            I agree with your statement on some level, if both races were thriving I might just agree fully. But...considering humanity is basically on its last leg so to speak and the cyclons continue to pursue them I believe the your argument looses alot of merit. I would agree with your point even after the cyclons brutal genocidal attack on Earth IF they werent infact still pursuing the humans. The fact that humanity is in such a critical situation itself and is still being pursued has to count for something, its basically kill or be killed. When broken down to that denominator, I can't see humanity not taking advantage of the virus.
                            Last edited by Miracle_007; 10 November 2006, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Here's a question i've bee puzzling over. How the frak do the colonials know the Cylons have another Res ship? I mean unless they saw it with the rest of the fleet orbiting New Caprica then they should still be under the assumtion the Res ship was destroyed back in season 2.

Am i missing something or is this a major plot hole?

Comment

I'm sure they referenced it a few times on New Caprica, and Gaeta would've heard them talkin about it, plus Simon mentioned it when he was talkin to the Adama's and the President

As for the genocide argument, this is gonna go on forever so i'm gonna put in my two cents then leave it alone. You can't arbitarily destroy a race, Roslin's problem is that see doesn't see them as beings but Machines, and there not, the Living beings, they deserve to live as much as humanity does...besides theres no gurantee the Cylons will follow them the rest of the way to Earth, they basically hit a dead end Baltar told them what he knew and that got them all infected with a virus, the fleet will eventually move beyond range and lose them, Space is big. But Adam made the best argument without knowing it in the Mini series he said first that "We decided to play God, create life. When that life turned against us, we comforted ourselves in the knowledge that it really wasn't our fault, not really. You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created." they created the Cylons they can't just arbitarily destroy them, if your child lost his mind and killed the other parent would u kill them yourself? The other point he made was in Resurrection Ship when he tld Starbuck "It's not enough to survive. One has to be worthy of surviving."
                                Last edited by Wedo765; 10 November 2006, 11:07 PM.
                                "Your a fruitcake," Daniel Jackson to Vala Mal Doran "Prometheus Unbound"

Comment

Working...
                                X