Occupation/Precipice (301-302)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by david3565
    Well, the Cylons themselves said that as well. Two times, I believe. And NCP are directly in the same community as the resistance. Hell, Jammer is the CO of the NCP and a best friend to Galen! And the fact that they are taking orders directly from Cylons and wearing hoods while operating in public wouldn't go beyond their notice. So, a good bit can be inferred. It is a very high likelihood that members of the NCP at least share that viewpoint with the resistance. As for the incident with the gun, it will probably leak out. But anyway, that is all i have to say on that. Go debate. Always fun when we can keep it civil.
    And all of that could be said about the Iraqi police today, who live in a community with people who do not like them taking orders from Americans and who have to wear hoods and masks frequently for fear that their families will be killed.

Like I said in my first post, I don't believe that the Iraqi police are collaborators with an occupation... but I do have mixed feelings hating the NCP yet knowing that I can't find a substantive difference between them and the Iraqi police today.

Comment

That was a hell of a way to bring back the show! Deep, intense, ass kicking, and thought provoking with a touch of RDM and the writers screwing with us (in other words BSG is back!)

I think some of the "liberal preeching" that some people are *****ing about may appear to be that at face value - when it really is just another RDM inspired mind-frak (which I love).

At first, they try and make parallels to the Cylons and the US in Iraq... insurgency, torture, suicide bombing, police forces, etc... and to see how the insurgents in Iraq might feel. Of course, that would be simplistic and ignorant, the opposite of BSG, which leads to how the show screws with us. In Iraq, you had a democracy take out a mudurous authoritarian dictatorship, and attempt to replace it with a democracy. In the show, you have a genecidal authoritarian oligarchy (from how it appears so far) take out a democracy. In Iraq, the insurgency is sponsored by foreigners and nationals who are trying to return the country to an authoritarian type of government (whether under Allah or whoever), and of course to kill infidels (toasters). In BSG, the insurgency is of course sponsored by those trying to get out from under the boot of the Cylons, and to return to free rule. Basically, its Iraq upside down... frakkin awesome take. Where it gets preechy is that there is a fine line that should not be crossed... prisoner torture, etc.

Ok, now that I got that out of the way, classic BSG screw with you cliff hanger - Gaeta saved Callie, Boomer 1 saved Roslin and Zarek, not sure about Boomer 2 and how that's going to play out, Starbuck is just screwing with Leoben...

Jarhead out

Comment

Also comparing sending a soldier out in a fighter to die vs sending one out into a public place is a big difference. I also wonder if tigh is really tigh and not a cylon copy put out to split the resistance.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
          I'm hoping that's what happened. Anyone for Zarek/Roslin "ship"?
          They were so cute together in the truck and at the execution spot! Make that my .... fifth ship for Roslin. Wow... there should be a 12 step group for that kind of thing.

Comment

I missed that. I was too busy gagging when she touched his hand. Yecch.

I'm hoping that's what happened. Anyone for Zarek/Roslin "ship"?
            I think touching his hand was intended to divert suspicion because he looked down.

I can see Zarek and Roslin.
            Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Originally posted by jdog
              Also comparing sending a soldier out in a fighter to die vs sending one out into a public place is a big difference. I also wonder if tigh is really tigh and not a cylon copy put out to split the resistance.
              We have no evidence that the cylons can copy real people and Tigh is too old (having fought in the Cylon war) to have been a cylon.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                They were so cute together in the truck and at the execution spot! Make that my .... fifth ship for Roslin. Wow... there should be a 12 step group for that kind of thing.
                You're evil. Roslin likes Adama's... books. She borrowed one way back then and I saw the whole thing coming. Traitor.
                Frak! --Apollo
                Frak you. --Cain
                FRAK Me! --Kat
                frakwit! --Tyrol
                B*tch took my ride. --Starbuck

Comment

We have no evidence that the cylons can copy real people and Tigh is too old (having fought in the Cylon war) to have been a cylon.
                  Yeah. Chances are that it's just Tigh being Tigh.

Comment

Originally posted by jdog
                    Now a Cylon copy of Tigh..... I see the possibilities... I can't resolve this in my head, but it is a cool thought.

Comment

Originally posted by takinspace
                      You're evil. Roslin likes Adama's... books. She borrowed one way back then and I saw the whole thing coming. Traitor.
                      I ship Roslin/Adama. I've written Roslin/Adama fic.

But I also can see and enjoy Roslin/Apollo (before he lost his personality, that's more of a season 1 early season 2 ship), Roslin/Starbuck, and Roslin/Maya.

Only show I've ever had conflicting ship feelings.... so I might as well ship Roslin/Zarek too.

Comment

I ship Roslin/Adama. I've written Roslin/Adama fic.
                        I was just teasing.
                        Frak! --Apollo
                        Frak you. --Cain
                        FRAK Me! --Kat
                        frakwit! --Tyrol
                        B*tch took my ride. --Starbuck

Comment

Wow, an intense, complex, at times difficult premier to watch. Of course those are all qualities that have made me enjoy BSG so much!

Like others have already said, BSG never has been and never was meant to be "just another sci-fi entertainment" it was meant to be provocative and challenging while also being entertaining. We have enough predictable, safe, and run of the mill shows on television, dumbing down BSG would be a mistake.

And for those who don't like the "overt politics", BSG never takes sides, just like tonight, they let ever side have it equally, everyone gets dirty, and everyone is given a reason for what they do. Sometimes I think the people that object to the parrallels in BSG are perhaps a bit too uncomfortable with their surface beliefs in regards to actual current events and don't like their sensibilities challenged in any way. Facing ugly truths might be too upsetting.

Also, though I think Ellen is a total milf, I could have done without seeing the writhing on the cyclon dude. Granted, I don't object to the fact it was included. And to the person who complained about their kid seeing it, this is BSG, not Pokemon in space. They had tags in front of the episode warning that it was for mature audiences, and anyone who has followed BSG knows that they don't pull any punches. Sometimes I wonder if some parents just want the whole world wrapped in safety foam so they dont have to take the initiative in parenting at all.

As for the actual show, lots I liked, and also things I didn't like.

The overall feel of the show really emphasized the oppressed nature of the people stuck on new caprica. It really brought me in, made me feel the tension, the fear, the almost paranoia. It was great.

I find it funny that Tygh is once again showing the same characteristics that he showed back when Adama was shot and out of commission. He is a good soldier who means well but will easily vere into murky territory if he thinks it's necessary. He's the ultimate "ends justify the means" type of guy.

Don't like the Kacey/Starbuck thing at all. I just don't believe that her character would so easily embrace the kid. She knows too well from her dealings with cyclons how manipulative they can be. I just doubt she'd let her guard down enough to get drawn in by the kid that conviently gets hurt at a time to break her emotional barrier, and recovers just as kara is ready to embrace the kid. Too planned, smells of cyclon machinations, about the only sly thing they've truly done the whole episode if true.

Baltar is Baltar, he's slowly is growing a conscience but his survival instincts are still predominant and he will always sell out in the interests of numero uno. Still, I am disappointed that they didn't show more of what Baltar and Caprica6 are like together now that they are reunited. We never even got an acknowledgement that baltar knows he has his "real" 6 back, though i'm sure he does. And she still loves him more than ever, though he is far less lovable than when she first knew him.

I've never liked the chief/callie thing, and I find it very hard to believe that Boomer would have not sought out the chief just like caprica6 did baltar. Her surprise at knowing callie was with chief and they had a kid just didnt' ring true.

Poor Gaeta, he's the insurgency's biggest supporter AND likely one of the first "collaborators" to be strung up if/when the cyclons fall. I sure hope he get's his proper due before it's all said and done.

The stuff on Galactica was not nearly as interesting, though I must agree with everyone that adama calling lee a fatass was beyond classic!

I don't like Lee getting chubby and "Soft" but i think it makes sense. Like Dualla said, he doesn't have a war, and he needs something to drive him. I just hope he finds it again soon. Don't like him being married to dualla, but that ship has sailed. I just can't forget her and billy!

So many things to look forward to this season, so many ways they can take things, and knowing how the writers are, it's great that you can't honestly predict anything. Everything is fair game, how many shows can you say that about? Almost all of the the rest of the shows on tv, even the good ones, rarely stray too far off of well known conventions.

It won't be easy, I probably won't agree with all of it, but by god it will be different from 99.99% of everything out there, and everything that has ever been done in a scifi show before!
                          Last edited by Vuronev; 06 October 2006, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa:
                            Did Sci-Fi suddenly go digital during the 2nd viewing or is someone jamming their broadcast signals?

... even the commercials are scribbly.
                            Originally posted by titans:
                            Mines fine...watching it right now.
                            well, at least a good hour or more got lost to poor broadcast signals, and it only appeared on the Sci-Fi channel. None of the other TV network channels were affected, including USA. Weird!

I thought it was Sci-Fi's own program copy at first, but the picture jamming went beyond the usual letter box, and into the whole screen. Started out with wavy lines across and then went into what looked like a bad videotape copy that needed its "video heads" desperately cleaned. *Sigh* Oh well, I'm sure they'll rebroadcast it on Monday or whatever.

PS: still got the same *jamming* / BAD reception signal problem... and Doctor Who is now on as a wasted viewing segment, because of the same BAD reception problem (and only to this particular TV channel!). Someone out there don't like Sci-Fi...

Missed the first viewing of BSG's premiere and the beginning of the 2nd, due to other priority matters.

Comment

Gaeta is playing both sides to save his skin - not knowing who will come out on top in the end. It doesn't necessarily mean he is brave, but we haven't seen enough yet to judge him.
                              Gaeta has to feel this entire mess is all his fault. Guys like him never learn that there can be consequences when you do the right thing. He knows it's up to him to make this right. 18 episodes left to find out if he does.
                              "And you ask why?"

Comment

Originally posted by Vuronev
                                Also, though I think Ellen is a total milf, I could have done without seeing the writhing on the cyclon dude. Granted, I don't object to the fact it was included. And to the person who complained about their kid seeing it, this is BSG, not Pokemon in space. They had tags in front of the episode warning that it was for mature audiences, and anyone who has followed BSG knows that they don't pull any punches. Sometimes I wonder if some parents just want the whole world wrapped in safety foam so they dont have to take the initiative in parenting at all.
                                You miss the point. The sex scene came on a scant few MINUTES after a kid show ended, with no real commercial break. THAT was my complaint. This show belongs on at 10:00 p.m., and NOT following a family/kids oriented show.

My son left the room because he is a teenager and was embarrassed (as was I - and no, I'm not a prude and I certainly don't expect the world to be Pollyanna.) Like I said, that scene needed to be LATER in the episode, or better yet, undergone more time under the editor's knife.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Working...
                                X