No announcement yet.

Daybreak, Part 3 (421)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They studied and analized the mitochodrial DNA in different folks and they discovered we have 8-10 common "ancient mother", who lived in the east region of Africa. Only mother can give mDNS to the next generation, so if you follow back the DNA line you can see where was our genetic past. So BSG referred to this biochemical discovery as Hera was the first. She changed our evolution in BSG's timeline, because she had human and cylon DNA together.

Ok, I have found a better description than mine here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endosymbiotic_theory
    http://journals2.iranscience.net:800...30517/fob1.asp
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post
      I'm an atheist from Central Europe, and liked this episode and the whole show immensely. So there you are...
      *raises hand* Agnostic from Southern Europe, and I think BSG is the best sci-fi show of the decade. I actually think it was very bold and intelligent of them to include religion in the show the way they did.

I would have liked a more rational explanation of the Angels actually, but I knew when I set down to watch the finale that the "god" issue wasn't going to be resolved.

By the way, what happened with the Pythian propecy?

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        no, they 'all' survived, so to speak.

i'm sure some died of disease or accidents. but hera's skeleton was the oldeset one they found. the others merged with the neanderthals and became the current human race.

they were responsible for the tech advancements that the neaderthals inexplicably made...like wheels and stuff like that
        Arrrrggghhhh!!, we did NOT evolve from neanderthals, they are a completely different species, our ancestors lived alongside neanderthals. They were two completely different species, it's like saying a Lion is the same as a Jaguar

-----------------------------------------

All in all I thought that episode was great! When Galactica first jumped in to the colony I was close to screaming at the TV when it just took all that punishment from the batteries without doing anything ~ good light show though.

Next the EPIC battle on the colony between Toasters, man that was great. Also the appearance of the older ones was a nice change, I saw a bit of rivalry between them, when Cavil's new and old Toasters run down the hallway and the new ones bash past the old ones.

Tory got what she deserved that B****! I never liked her, she always seemed so evil, Chief ROCKS! The funniest part was when Chief took his hands out of the goo, and Simon, Doral and Cavil go "IT'S A TRICK!!!11!!!1" and start shooting up the place, and Cavil just goes "awww FRAK!" and shoots himself ~ probably funniest/randomest death I've ever seen on a screen.

Racetrack - Kicking ass even after she's dead. I love how she manages to get back at the Cylons, she hated them so much.

Finding "Earth" = Scientology? hahahaha

Beautiful ending with all of them going off their own separate ways. Anders really did have a "flying off into the sunset" ending

The end made me laugh with All Along the Watchtower. /Loves Jimi
        Best thing. RDM's Cameo, hehehehe sneaky *******.

Comment

Originally posted by Vale_Sg1 View Post
          By the way, what happened with the Pythian propecy?
          The dying leader could be Galactica, Anders and Roslin. They let us decide.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Spoiler:
            So if the cylons settled here too and have a longer life span does that mean clyons could be living among us cause nothing killed them?

I like the fact he ends it saying we all have some cylon in all of us 8P

Comment

Okay, as for Hera being the mother of us all...

How many other 8s and 6s landed on Earth with the colonials? All the 8s would have the same mitochondrial dna as Hera and could disperse it as well. And maybe the 6s have a similar one. So instead of 1 mother, they have what, 500 just with the 8s? Who says Helo and Athena weren't little bunnies with a litter after a few years?
              Things we'd like to see in our favorite scifi...
              Spoiler:
              "Ori, meet Wraiths. Wraiths, meet Ori. I'm sure you'll get along famously." ~ any member of SG1.
              "Priors, meet Cylons. Cylons, Meet Priors. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful theologic discussion." ibid
              "This is the BattleStar Galactica - please identify yourself."
              "This is the Earth Vessel Daedelus. Are you lost?"
              "The WHAT Vessel?" Galactica Actual.

Comment

Originally posted by jdog View Post
                Spoiler:
                So if the cylons settled here too and have a longer life span does that mean clyons could be living among us cause nothing killed them?

I like the fact he ends it saying we all have some cylon in all of us 8P
                I don't know how long exactly Cylons live, and they don't have Resurrection... It seems unlikely that any could survive 150,000 years.
                sigpic
                Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                  i found it impossible that all the humans on earth came from hera. i think it was stated that she was the oldest human found and she was mitchodrial eve.

but really logically the 38K surviors are the great great grand parents of the current human race. not just hera./

that's how i'm choosing to see it
                  it is quite possible that the entire human race came from one man and hera, over 150000 years. if each generation waites till there 20 to have scildren and each couple has even just three kids each then you have 7500 breeding cycles and each is just over doubling the existing population. allowing for deaths you get 2 surviving per couple, so thats a doubling every 20 years so you need to do 2 times 2 times 2 times 2, 7500 times. it gives a number far larger than the current population of the planet after just forty cycles you get 109,951,162,776/ try the math its mind bending at how large a number you end up with after 7500 computations. it is an end number quite easilly believable as the whole combined population of the human race over the last 150000 years

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                    Why did they give up their civilization? That was so unlogic... They betrayed the 12 Colonies. But later Baltar said he will make a farm. So what?

The best idea was Hera became the mitchodrial great-great-greatmother of every human. So technically the other 38K survivors lived for nothing.

So this whole savannah episode was a big disappointment for me. I expected better solution.
                    Well they gave up their technology, not their civilization. It is well within character of the show giving up the technology. At every turn the technology has lead to violence and warfare. The last 2 seasons have shown them losing their civilization. So why not spread out and start over?

Comment

Originally posted by toby1kanobi View Post
                      it is quite possible that the entire human race came from one man and hera, over 150000 years. if each generation waites till there 20 to have scildren and each couple has even just three kids each then you have 7500 breeding cycles and each is just over doubling the existing population. allowing for deaths you get 2 surviving per couple, so thats a doubling every 20 years so you need to do 2 times 2 times 2 times 2, 7500 times. it gives a number far larger than the current population of the planet after just forty cycles you get 109,951,162,776/ try the math its mind bending at how large a number you end up with after 7500 computations. it is an end number quite easilly believable as the whole combined population of the human race over the last 150000 years
                      Well there have been theories that extinctions have taken place in the past 150,000 years due to natural disasters. I want to say about 25,000 years ago, maybe earlier, it has been a while since I watched the special on the history channel. Anyway there was a super volcanic eruption that brought the human species to its knees, it has been speculated that there were as few as 20 breeding females left on the planet.

So it is quite possible that only Hera's off spring survived a natural disaster sometime in the past 150,000 years and spread out again from Africa.

Comment

Well i just finished watching the finale earlier and wow what an ending.

I was hoping that they would be saving the best until last, and they didn't dissapoint.

- Loved the inclusion of the several secondary characters in the episode like Cottle and Ishay, i loved the fact that they promoted Hoshi and Lampkin to Admiral and President respecitvely in Galacticas absence.

- The colony assault sequence was immense, i didn't think they could top the drama and wow factor of the New Caprica exodus but i think this definitely topped it.

- The whole 'truth' of the opera house was ingenious imo briding the connections between the Opera House and Galactica.

- Even though you knew Tyrol was going to kill Tory as soon as they said 'we'll see each others thoughts/ memories' it couldn't all end so easily could it? Very satisfying that Tyrol avenged Cally's death.

- I'm glad the notes/music had some significance at least, although i did go WTF and had to suspend my disbelief when i saw 'our' earth (but only for a few moments).

- I thought it interesting that they landed on a primitive earth, and the whole choice to revert back to a more primitive lifestyle was suprising.

- Sending the fleet with anders into the sun was imo one of the saddest parts of the episode, it just had a very mournful feeling to it (i guess with the whole discarding of their previous lives).

- The centurions, i wonder what will become of them? Who knows what could happen over the course of 150,000 years, did they flourish, did they perish over time?

- Roslin's death seemed fitting tbh, quietly passing away was the best way to do it imo.

- I still don't know whether i liked Kara dissapearing like that or not, i guess it provided closure on the character i would have liked her and lee to end up together from a narrative pov as they made such a big deal of it in previous episodes.

- I'm glad that the relationships of Saul/Ellen and Caprica Six/Baltar came full circle and they ended up together in the end.

- Tyrol going off to a life of solitude was sad but the characters needed to find peace for himself so it fit nicely.

- Adama mourning over Roslins grave and pondering building the cabin was very touching (i shed a manly tear).

- the time skip to 150,000 years later was a great way to end the series tbh, especially with Head Baltar/Six looking on with amusement at how humanity has prospered, and the subtle hints of a higher power at work in the universe were very mysterious, and i loved it.

also a few more little nit picks about the episode

- woo hotdog didn't die, come on who else was thinking 'don't die?'

- Racetrack and Skulls deaths were apropriate, was Racetrack alive at the end when the nukes were fired or was it her corpse that just happened to 'slip' on the firing button and launch them as they were already armed?

- I would have liked more of an epilogue/montage to how life on earth went for the characters as time went on.

- The flashbacks to Caprica before the fall seemed tbh, pointless. Who wants to see the aftermath of Roslin banging some random dude, or Lee getting intimate with Kara, OR Tigh drinking, we know this already. It just didn't really seem to add anything for me, time i think that could have been spent on more important stuff.

- I wondered why the Galactica didn't rip apart the part of the Colony it was near when it jumped tbh. I mean a raptor in close proximity to Galactica managed to rip a small although sizeable hole in it so you'd think a Battlestar would have the same effect in proximity to something, but with much more effect from its size, seemed a bit odd to me tis all.

- Boomers death was a bit cold-blooded and out of place imo.

Sorry for the long post, but epic endings produce epic sized chunks of text.

Tbh i think the whole finale went great, and ill certainly remember it for a while to come for several reasons.

1. It was unique
                        2. The questions that remain to be answered, or left open for the viewers to decide, it gets you thinking, and so its memorable which is a win imo.

As an example, the whole time skip, even though its entirely fictional who else has thought 'what if?' 'What if we were descendants of the colonies/cylons? since watching the ending.

LOved it all Can't wait to see the supposed even more extended version in full hd.

Comment

Originally posted by Arative View Post
                          Well there have been theories that extinctions have taken place in the past 150,000 years due to natural disasters. I want to say about 25,000 years ago, maybe earlier, it has been a while since I watched the special on the history channel. Anyway there was a super volcanic eruption that brought the human species to its knees, it has been speculated that there were as few as 20 breeding females left on the planet.

So it is quite possible that only Hera's off spring survived a natural disaster sometime in the past 150,000 years and spread out again from Africa.

there were two distinct human races around 75,000 years ago and one allof a sudden dissapeared and we (at the time homo erectus bordering on homo sapien) became dominant. perhaps in BSG the humans that died out were from normal colonials whereas the humans (homeerectus/homosapien) were the ones to go on, that would allow for hera to be the mitocondrial eve.

this is a true fact- the mitocondrial eve really dus date back 150,000 years
                          but the mitocondrial adam only dates back 75-72,000 years, so something happend to weed out all but the eve offspring 75-72,000 years ago, maybe desease maybe natural disaster, but ine of the two existing humanoid races had something to give them the edge. al BSG is doing is giving a different reason for it

Comment

I was disappointed really. Over half of the cast was supposed to die... practically everyone important except Roslyn survived. LOL

Otherwise a reasonably good episode.

Oh, and Bill Adama puke scene >>>> everything !

Comment

Originally posted by Demoniser View Post

- I wondered why the Galactica didn't rip apart the part of the Colony it was near when it jumped tbh. I mean a raptor in close proximity to Galactica managed to rip a small although sizeable hole in it so you'd think a Battlestar would have the same effect in proximity to something, but with much more effect from its size, seemed a bit odd to me tis all.
                              i wondered that too, even in the finali when the rapters jump from inside the flight pod they rip it to shreads so its not like there are special circumstances to the spacial disturbance happening, it happens every time, the massive boom when galactica did the death dive over new caprica itterates the piont, so i totaly agree there should have been a pretty large piese of the colony ripped apart by that.

although the colony did not break u even when hit with 6 nukes so perhaps, the colony is better made than galactica

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                                The dying leader could be Galactica, Anders and Roslin. They let us decide.
                                The prophecy spoke of a leader suffering from a wasting disease that would take humankind to the promised land, but would not live to see it.

Roslin is the one who makes most sense, because she suffered from a wasting disease (contrary to Anders, who was shot), and her visions were consistent with the scriptures, but not only she enters the promised land, she dies there.

I believe the Galactica fulfilled another role in the prophecy - the 'chariot of the heavens', or a similar epithet. And Galactica, too, saw Earth before being flown into the sun.

For a moment there I thought it was Kara, because she lead them to Earth but didn't get to see it. But Kara wasn't dying - she was already dead.

Comment

Working...
                                X