No announcement yet.

Daybreak, Part 3 (421)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, this was huge! I'm still overwhelmed with all kinds of emotions. This went miles beyond my optimistic expectations, and I was ready to be satisfied if it wasn't my worst case scenario. My head's still buzzing with all the information we were given, and all the questions left for us to figure out on our own.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatLordGeorge View Post
      Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the dying leader make it to earth?
      Pythian said

Spoiler:
      the dying leader would make it to the new home but not step foot on that new home

galactica lead the fleet to it's new home but didn't touch the ground
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by justinkb View Post
        does kara being an angel mean the piano player was god?
        the piano player was a angel but kara not knowing that she was a angel

didn't recognize him. he was also her father

Originally posted by GateTrek View Post
        When they jumped 150,000 years later, I was DYING to see below:

150,000 Years Later...
        March 20, 2009!

That would have been neat!
        i think at the time ron didn't know when the ep would air so he wouldn't have been able too
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I'm not exactly sure how I feel. I hadn't been keeping up with the series and had to catch up this past week. (I watched 21 eps between Monday and Thursday!) The past week has been so exciting and although I wasn't really contemplating what I might see or what I wanted to see, I had high hopes for something that would knock my socks off.

I had a great time watching, but it didn't quite reach the heights I was expected it would for me emotionally. Don't get me wrong - I spent a lot of the last 20 minutes or so weeping (the Adama/Roslin relationship just kills me). But for some reason, the big "WOW" moments weren't quite big enough. I found myself thinking, "That's cool!" a lot, but I wasn't completely floored. And I think it was mostly the flashbacks before the fall of Caprica. Some of them were terrific and really added to what you know about the character's whole story arc and/or where the ended. But some - not so much.

I wasn't very emotionally connected to the Roslin flashbacks. I liked that she decided to go through with the date after finding out he was a former student (I totally called that from the first phone call when she vaguely recognized his name). It was like this friend calls her to tell her she needs to get a life - suggests a blind date and asks is she is joining Adar's campaign. She says no to both but finally relents on the date if the friend will quit bugging her. She goes on the date and has a good time (presumably) but decides this isn't for her. Instead, she joins Adar's campaign. The whole thing had me going, "Eh." And I'm a BIG Roslin fan! I just didn't think it added to her character - just explained how she ended up in politics.

I'm not sure how I feel about the idea that Lee and Kara almost hooked up the first night they met. Yes, they were stupid drunk at the time, but what does this add to their story?

LOVED the Baltar backstory and how he comes full circle becoming a farmer.

I liked how Adama was considering leaving the military and then couldn't stomach being questioned about his ethics and loyalty.

The Anders flashback was perfect. I wasn't a big fan of his character at the beginning. I basically thought of him as someone Kara could use, but he grew on me. I was sad he didn't get to live on.

Other stuff:
          --Loved seeing Galactica ram into the colony. (Wasn't expecting that!)
          --seeing old Centurions battle new ones
          --Baltar's and Caprica's unison, "You can see them?!?"
          --Liked the use of "All Along The Watchtower" as coordinates
          --I thought the Galactica/opera house stuff was cool. Liked how history looked like it was going to repeat itself again, but Tyrol killing Tory caused the fighting to continue.
          --Racetrack ends up coming to the rescue - even though she was already dead.

All in all, I'm satisfied with this ending. I think the four years of the show have been very consistent and things generally add up. (Loved The X-Files, but if you watched all nine seasons you know that the mythology went all over the place.) This is definitely a show I will go back to and watch again. And I will continue to sing its praises and tell people, "I don't care if you don't like scifi - you need to watch this show!"
          sigpic
          Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Comment

Originally posted by metabog View Post
            Are you serious? They explained all of those... what show have you been watching?
            I think that person just wants to start a fight or he or she is really that stupid. I doubt it. There are always jerks around.
            He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
            He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
            And he's wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
              If the wife wasn't in the next room (who would surely take the p1$$ out of me for crying at a TV show, especially 'Cheesy Sci-Fi' as she calls it), I might even have broken my manly exterior and cried a little.
              Now I need to get rid of that lump in my throat before the Wife realises and mercilessly takes the p1$$.
              This is why I watch alone!

Sorry about the wife, but she needs to UNDERSTAND!

Besides, I thought BSG was the sci-fi series that was bringing all the wives on board! I guess not all of them are open to it.

Anyway, I agree COMPLETELY with EVERYTHING you said, so you don't mind her, you have us!

Comment

Originally posted by meredithchandler73 View Post
                I'm not exactly sure how I feel. I hadn't been keeping up with the series and had to catch up this past week. (I watched 21 eps between Monday and Thursday!) The past week has been so exciting and although I wasn't really contemplating what I might see or what I wanted to see, I had high hopes for something that would knock my socks off.

I had a great time watching, but it didn't quite reach the heights I was expected it would for me emotionally. Don't get me wrong - I spent a lot of the last 20 minutes or so weeping (the Adama/Roslin relationship just kills me). But for some reason, the big "WOW" moments weren't quite big enough. I found myself thinking, "That's cool!" a lot, but I wasn't completely floored. And I think it was mostly the flashbacks before the fall of Caprica. Some of them were terrific and really added to what you know about the character's whole story arc and/or where the ended. But some - not so much.

I wasn't very emotionally connected to the Roslin flashbacks. I liked that she decided to go through with the date after finding out he was a former student (I totally called that from the first phone call when she vaguely recognized his name). It was like this friend calls her to tell her she needs to get a life - suggests a blind date and asks is she is joining Adar's campaign. She says no to both but finally relents on the date if the friend will quit bugging her. She goes on the date and has a good time (presumably) but decides this isn't for her. Instead, she joins Adar's campaign. The whole thing had me going, "Eh." And I'm a BIG Roslin fan! I just didn't think it added to her character - just explained how she ended up in politics.

I'm not sure how I feel about the idea that Lee and Kara almost hooked up the first night they met. Yes, they were stupid drunk at the time, but what does this add to their story?

LOVED the Baltar backstory and how he comes full circle becoming a farmer.

I liked how Adama was considering leaving the military and then couldn't stomach being questioned about his ethics and loyalty.

The Anders flashback was perfect. I wasn't a big fan of his character at the beginning. I basically thought of him as someone Kara could use, but he grew on me. I was sad he didn't get to live on.

Other stuff:
                --I thought the Galactica/opera house stuff was cool. Liked how history looked like it was going to repeat itself again, but Tyrol killing Tory caused the fighting to continue.

All in all, I'm satisfied with this ending. I think the four years of the show have been very consistent and things generally add up. (Loved The X-Files, but if you watched all nine seasons you know that the mythology went all over the place.) This is definitely a show I will go back to and watch again. And I will continue to sing its praises and tell people, "I don't care if you don't like scifi - you need to watch this show!"
                I agree. It was a great episode... but not quite what I expected or wanted from the finale. I would have liked to see a better thought-out battle at the Colony, because, honestly, it just didn't do much for me. Also... the Colonials would never do what they did in the show, sending the Fleet into the sun and living on Earth (II) with nothing. It makes sense to tie the show into the modern day, but those people would never do it in reality.

Also, I loved them finding the real Earth, and I knew it the moment I saw the craters on the moon. I hadn't guessed that the music would be the path there, and I was thinking more that it was how God communicated with his angels... but hey, I still like it. That said, I think Kara/Roslin/Boomer's "deaths" were all kind of lame, though I did like seeing how the flashbacks from Part 1 (so hated and maligned by so many) really made the entire episode worthwhile.

And finally, what an amazing epilogue in the present day! How things change... and yet how they stay the same. The Colonials tried to steer us down a different path and failed, but we seem to be different. Unlike them, we are aware of our decadence, and fight it every day. Maybe this time around, the epic tale of Kobol, of Earth (I), and of Caprica can finally end in peace... here among humanity's new home on our Earth.
                Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

1st hour was great....2nd hour much weaker IMHO.

I thought Head-6 and Head Baltar at the end said something to the effect that mitochondrial Eve was found buried next to her parents (human and Cylon). In that case, mitochondrial eve would actually have been Athena.

Some ramifications of this:

If I heard right and Hera was buried as a child, then she had no offspring. I must have heard wrong for the general theme to make sense.

If Athena or any other 6 managed to have a child, then they would also have been exact matches for mitochondrial Eve as well.

There is nothing in the story line so far that would prevent Athena/Helo from having another child, unless cross-breeding is really impossible and Hera was helped along by the "Angels". But if "angels" can genetically manipulate an embryo, then they would not have required this overly complex story line to deliver a viable hybrid to the new Earth to kick start the early-humans there. Just engineer an existing early-human.

Comment

If Galen hadn't killed Tory, the cycle would have repeated itself again, just like before. Galen killing Tory is what finally broke it. It is very dramatic since it shows that in the end the human emotion of love and anger is what broke the essentially mathematical, quantized cycle of Cylon rebirth. I would go as far as saying that is the culimating point of the finale.
                    My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

Originally posted by meredithchandler73 View Post
                      The whole thing had me going, "Eh." And I'm a BIG Roslin fan! I just didn't think it added to her character - just explained how she ended up in politics.

To me these were flashes of the moments that echoed their respective fates.

Roslin was destined not to find and enjoy love, her calling was a higher one, but a less personally satisfying one.

Same for Starbuck/Apollo -- they had a mutual attraction it was clear, but they had something more important to consider than their own feelings - the fate of all humanity!

Just as Zak waking up reminded them that they can't do what they might want to do because of their fates, Roslin realizes that though she has romantic needs too, her fate isn't to live out her life happily with Adama, but to struggle to help the human race to where they need to be.

And just LOVED the opera house metaphor -- the Galactica's CIC IS the house of this particular Space Opera and it wasn't so much a vision of what 'to do' but what they were 'going to do' and a signal that this was going to be an important moment. They learned the truth of the opera house - that this was the moment the cylon/human war pivoted on (this time!)

Comment

Lee does have a sad ending - no government, he's all alone.

I don't understand why Lee doesn't see his dad again? When he said "he's not coming back" I thought it meant that Adama was going to fly into the sun or kill himself. When it's shown that he just goes and builds a house with Laura's grave, I can't imagine that Adama and Lee wouldn't want to at least be near each other. But Lee doesn't have a girl anymore.

So Kara is an angel, but is also Kara. The thing is that Starbuck was somehow special even before she disappeared in Maelstrom... it would be nice to connect those dots. (just a nit-pick)/

I find it improbable that the colonists would abandon technology, but I guess that's something that can be fitted into "suspension of disbelief" required to make the story fit.

I was pretty psyched when they found our Earth.

This was in someone else's post: I agree with everything except for the opera house stuff... the way they tried to tie it up was a bit blah for me.\
                        --
                        Other stuff:
                        ---

Comment

I like the "He doesn't like that name." line about God. It shows that there's more involved than just a generic abrahamic God, perhaps some kind of greater intelligence, but not any more mystical than the Cylons. Remember what Asimov said, any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

I think Kara wasn't just a "head"-Kara. She was some kind of different "model" of angel, more like a messenger.

It's interesting to think Adama was still on Earth somewhere with the last Raptor. I wonder what he did with it in the end. It feels like there are some more stories to tell. I'd rather have had a series based on that rather than Caprica.
                          My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

Holy Frak what an episode!

Things i loved:
                            1. The Big battle at the colony
                            2. The old and new cylons fighting
                            3. Cavil blowing his brains out
                            4. Them finding "Our Earth"
                            5. The whole 150,000 years later scene

I personly think the scene where they fly over the moon and find "our Earth" is one of the greatest in the Whole series.

Also, I think this best explains what the writers wanted to series to do:

Based on the ending, if I had to describe this series as a whole, it would be an attempt to bring a concept like God (or Gods, or some sort of divine presence) into a rational and reasoned world. Granted, Galactica had spaceships and robots, but it never had aliens or technology that seemed impossible (it is possible to fold space and "jump". Black holes fold space like that). Hell, they were using bullets when other sci-fi series use lasers or phasers or plasma rifles or whatever.

In an age where too much television tries to spoon-feed morality and lessons to us, Battlestar Galactica takes it above all that by trying to get viewers to think. While that sort of television rarely has high initial ratings, it's the sort of thing that can live forever in re-runs as people watch it again to determine its lessons.

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

Okay that ending was just gay as hell. The show has never been really well written and that just proves it. That ending was crap. I hope SGU learns something about this drama filed crap.

Comment

oops

Comment

Working...
                                X