Technology in NBSG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technology in NBSG

So I was wondering am I the only one who thinks it is some kind of new trend where the technology in Science Fiction now adays have really weakened the human race instead of lasers or beam weaponry we now get projectiles and railguns. So I was wondering what was your opinion on the technology in the NBSG compaired to the OBSG? Did you think that the new tech was better or did you hate it?
    http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...m/Earth001.jpg

Lasers and beam weapons last as long as you have power. Projectiles run out.

Simple cut-off-from-everything scenario.

Comment

I much prefered having solid projctiles. Mainly because it was something a bit different. By the time BSG came out it was still the norm for sci-fi shows to have Phasers and big honkin space guns. BSG just took it the other way. Which worked with the ships gritty WWII like asthetic.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

because we have enough shows where spaceships go pew pew. i liked the idea of the far rougher, tougher image of BSG ships. even SG ships are shinier and flashier, and i think Energy Weapons of any kind would only remove that raw feel.

plus, we do not quite know how well Laser combat works. it's possible that in the NBSG universe, they figured out that Projectile weapons simply work better, for their day and age.

Comment

Originally posted by Earth001 View Post
          So I was wondering am I the only one who thinks it is some kind of new trend where the technology in Science Fiction now adays have really weakened the human race instead of lasers or beam weaponry we now get projectiles and railguns. So I was wondering what was your opinion on the technology in the NBSG compaired to the OBSG? Did you think that the new tech was better or did you hate it?
          On the weapons and small arms front, BSG was behind. I disliked the lack of higher tech weaponry.

But on that note, BSG is also incredibly advanced. It's just subtle.

Their ship drives are way beyond anything we have today. Look at the Science of Battlestar Galactica Book to see what sort of thrust (I may not be using the term correctly. My background isn't physics/engineering) is required to move a ship the size of Galactica. Tyllium puts out something like 50,000 times more energy than any other fuel we use today.

Also, look at how effortlessly their ships go from ground to space or vice versa. It's as easy as landing an airplane is to us, for them, to go from ground to space. Hell, kids by tickets to other planets.

The sheer size of Galactica is an engineering impossibility for us. You'd need very advanced materials science to construct a ship like that.

Speaking of materials science, the Cylons are incredibly more advanced than anything we have. Their armor and mechanical parts need to stand up to weeks, months, and perhaps years of continued use without maintenance, or with very little.

Walking is actually a very difficult thing for a robot to do. Look at the development of Asimo. It only "recently" was able to walk up and down stairs. And don't even think Asmino can run like a Cylon or react fast enough.

The Cylon meta cognitive process is decades ahead of anything we have. We are no where close to AI, yet BSG had it in spades. I know some people will claim we are "close" to AI... just like it was "right around the corner" in 1995. Don't believe anything you hear on the AI front until you actually see an AI. We ain't close.

Then there's bio-Cylons which are basically fully grown human clones embued with some sort of silica relay and super strength. With none of the conventional problems of cloning (read up on Dolly's problems for what I mean). Again, not even close to this.

And then the Mesh and Holobands. Holobands are a technology which is so far beyond our current technology it's not funny. Somehow they are able to interface directly with the brain, with eyes closed, and create a full sensory immerse environment... and they can be bought at the corner store!

Then there's FTL. Just FTL.

BSG technology is there but it's subtle.

Comment

also Railguns are pretty powerful weapons. it's just that shows like Star Trek and Star Wars show human races with weapons so unbelievably unrealistically off the charts that it's downright ridiculous.

BSG has it done pretty realistically. perhaps the Colonials considered Lasers too frail for use in space combat. remember, there's no empirical evidence it works.

Comment

Working...
            X