Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's nothing like a good war story, and Battlestar Galactica is a good war story. It's a prime example of one of those sci-fi shows that only uses the science as a backdrop, and throws you head-first into the compelling fiction.

I also like how the Cylon's belief in god plays such an important role in their actions. From what we've seen of Six, it looks like they truly believe their actions are god's punishment against humanity. It gives them a certain quality that machines in other sci-fi shows seem to miss.

I love Boomer. If we can't have the actress as a recurring lieutenant in SG-1, then I'm perfectly happy having her as a regular lieutenant in Galactica. Even if she is... you know.
    It's a Fargate! It's different.

Comment

Originally posted by Manic
      I also like how the Cylon's belief in god plays such an important role in their actions. From what we've seen of Six, it looks like they truly believe their actions are god's punishment against humanity. It gives them a certain quality that machines in other sci-fi shows seem to miss.
      I think that's a really interesting aspect to this series. And a pretty interesting treatment of machines getting religion, so to speak.

I did think they over-used Six in the first episode a little. There's only so much of her crawling around in Baltar's head that I can take. It was much better in the second episode. How long before they all think he's totally nuts, I wonder.
      Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Well, if nothing else, this storyline about Boomer would hold my interest for as many episodes as it runs. But, of course it isn't the only worthwhile element, so...LOL

On a pathetic note, I checked imdb and realized that I recognized Chief Tyrol's face because he played a Jaffa for one scene in Redemption, Part II. Yes, I know Season Six very, very well...
        "Someone duplicated the duplicators?"

~ Jack; Smoke and Mirrors

*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*

Amelia's Violin - a Jonas/ OC romance. Version 2.0. New, improved, and COMPLETE!!!

A Day in the life of Sparky:

...???... ......!!!.....[ ]..............!!!... .........

The End!!

Comment

Loved every second of the first episode.

My Review: Battlestar Galactica 101: 33

I saw the first episode of the new Battlestar Galactica this evening, and was simply amazed at how well done it was. It's clear that this series is going to be very popular for it's well thought-out storyline, complex characters and ideological portions.
          Taking place nearly a week or so after we left off with the miniseries that aired in December of 2003, and the Galactica is on the run. Every 33 minutes, they must make an FTL jump, for a Cylon Basestar arrives at their location, somehow tracking them. There are now less than 50,000 humans left of the human race after the destruction of the 12 colonies. The crew is running on no sleep at all, and everyone is tired and overworked, but they're running for their lives. Meanwhile, on Caprica, Helo, a Galactica Crewman left behind, is being persued by Cylons, and he destroys several before being captured. At the fleet, they discover that they are missing a ship, the Olympic Carrier, which carried 1300 people on board. After a jump and no cylons appear, they reappear on the ship. Most are relieved,but it quickly becomes apparent that the ship was captured and is destroyed, despite protests. Baltar is having hallucinations with Six, his Cylon lover, who tells him that the ship had Cylon agents on board. She also tells him that it's god's retribution for Baltar's athiesm.
          This show rocks. Period. From this first episode, it's going above and beyond the miniseries, which had some weak points. This first episode has none. It's got a tight plot with some excellent acting, storytelling and CGI. Already, it's setting the stage for future episodes, first with Sharon aka Boomer, who is a Cylon, with Baltar/Six and religion, Apollo and Starbuck together and Apollo and his father. This show is destined for great things, and I think that it's going to be well recieved by audiances.
          This episode has some paticularly harsh things about it. This show is dark, and there's little to lighten it up. From some of the first moments with pictures on the walls of Galactica of people who have been lost to the Olympic Carrier, a civilian ship, loaded down with explosives to destroy the Galactica, and the decision to destroy it, despite any civilian casualties. There are some very hard things in here, and the show doesn't flinch from it.
          There's a sort of saying among some writers that I've seen in books about writing science fiction, paticularly with characters. To find the real character, you must put them through hell to find out who they really are. The crew of the Galactica are going through hell. They've just had their homes destroyed and they're running for their lives through unknown space, with the Cylons close behind. The characters snap at each other, cry and are generally exhaused, but continue onwards. The only things that are really good for them is the news that a new baby was born on one ship, and that with the destruction of the Olympic Carrier, the Cylons have stopped following.
          On a technical level, this show is stunning. There is some great CGI, brought to us by the wonderful Zoic, who also did the CGI for the miniseries, Firefly, Buffy, Angel and the upcoming films A Sound of Thunder and Serenity. There are some 'stock' footage shots, with various dog fights and combat landings, but the new shots are simply out of this world, wonderful. The camera movements are still documentary style, with quick zooms and rapid movement, which really enhances portions of the show.
          The acting around the board has improved. There were a couple of weak moments in the miniseries, paticularly with the crew chief Tyrol, who has several ackward moments during the series. However, Apollo, Starbuck, Adama, Tigh and the rest of the crew all do a wonderful job acting their parts.
          Part one was followed by the Episode 102: Water. I only caught the first couple minutes, and the thing that I really noticed was the care and abstractness to the camera movements as Boomer wakes up soaking, unsure of what just happened, and when she finds a bomb in her backpack. More when I see that episode.
          I can tell you one thing though, this is probably going to be one of the best science fiction television shows ever.
          A Quick Word from the Far Side of the Galaxy

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman
            They changed the title sequence and music from the versions shown on SkyOne.

-IMF
            How was it different?
            sigpic
            In the infinite expanse that we occupy, whose to say that something's impossible?

Comment

Originally posted by Taonas
              How was it different?
              Some different images, and the first part of the music is very different.

-IMF
              "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
              "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
              BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Brent Stait (Ferretti) is in ep 3. Rather... um... different than his role on SG-1.

This show is great. Stargate's PTB should watch BSG and get ideas on how to develop characters strong and fast. You already have a good sketch of the principal players as well as a handful of the secondary/recurring characters.

Best thing is, it's so wonderful to feel HAPPY about a show again and to have faith in the writers to do a good job and to look forward to future eps without fear of what might happen.... well, other than people dying or secrets being revealed or the Cylons attacking. But no "what stupid POS plot device are they gonna attempt to recycle THIS week?"

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                  Brent Stait (Ferretti) is in ep 3. Rather... um... different than his role on SG-1.
                  Episode 3... that's "Bastille Day".

Who'd he play, one of the convicts?
                  sigpic
                  In the infinite expanse that we occupy, whose to say that something's impossible?

Comment

Originally posted by Taonas
                    Episode 3... that's "Bastille Day".

Who'd he play, one of the convicts?
                    He plays Mason. Won't say more than that.

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                      I have to say, I was thouroughly impressed. Both stories were great. Also, Grace Parker's portrayl of this 'What the hell is wrong with me?' charcter, was excellent. Rewatch the last raptor scene if you want to see this.

Man.....great series!

Grace Park you mean.

Yea, in my opinion, she's the best thing about the show. I love the show, but it is a bit disappointing knowing that she's going to wind up as an "evil" character, unless the writers get their acts together......

The whole situation with the Olympia carrier was done well and the radio message around the campfire was intriguing.

Comment

Well, just saw the first two eps. One word: AMAZING. Can't say that it beats Stargate, but its pretty damn good.
                        Rocky

Comment

Friday nights are going to ROCK! I saw the miniseries and wasn't too impressed, but I figured I'd give the series a try anyway and I was blown away. My roommate is no longer going to be able to get me out of the room on Fridays nights. I'll be glued to the TV. I especially love the character of Boomer and Grace Park does an amazing job playing the part. As someone mention before, she alone is worth sitting through it every Friday night. But the entire thing is great! Wonderful series so far , can't wait until next week for more.

And that's my two cents...
                          My LiveJournal
                          ^_^ ~ DANIquinn ~ ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                            About 15 minutes in '33' and did anyone else notice the re-use of some of the mini series scenes?

1. The combat landing
                            2. Galactica's jump (minus the ion storm background)
                            3. The engagement with the cylon raiders
                            They do recycle certain special effects throughout the series, but they aren't really of any great import (it's not the same vipers being blown up over and over again).

But here is some others I remember:
                            4. Vipers launching from the tubes
                            5. Flyby of Galactica and the fleet with Colonial One in the foreground
                            6. Rear view of a single viper taking a hard right

I've only noticed these since I watch most of the episodes over and over again. If this is what it takes for them to have the extra effects in 'The Hand of God' and of the mechanical cylons, I don't mind.

Comment

I love how they joke about Boomer being a Cylon.

Starbuck: Why?
                              Apollo: Cause, you know.
                              Starbuck: Cause I'm on DRUGS!? (small laugh) And Boomer is a CYLON!
                              (they all laugh)
                              Boomer: Oh cut it out.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                              [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Has there been any speculation on the why's and what's of the Cylon Master Plan?

spoilers/speculation through ep 11
                                Spoiler:

From what the Caprican cylons were saying, I gether there's a grand purpose to keeping Helo alive. Given Number Six's nymphomaniacal habits, as well, and figuring in all the rhetoric about how God doesn't choose sides and He is the God of ALL rather than just the cylons, I'm guessing that the cylons want a cylon-human hybrid. This will further God's plan and unite His "children".

I'm also going to take a wild stab here and say that Caprican Boomer is pregnant with Helo's baby. Whether or not she knew/suspected this and that was part of her reasoning into escaping with him, I dunno. But if she knows she's pregnant then she doesn't want the baby to be cylon property.

I'll be curious to see how things continue develop...

Comment

Working...
                                X