No announcement yet.

Battlestar Galactica - Music question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sci Fi over on the Media Boulevard BSG board provided this info on the song sung at the beginning of the UK opening theme:

Originally posted by Sci Fi
    The UK theme is actually the Hindu Gayatri Mantra sung in a heavy western accent.

AUM BHOOR BHUWAH SWAHA,
    TAT SAVITUR VARENYAM
    BHARGO DEVASAYA DHEEMAHI
    DHIYO YO NAHA PRACHODAYAT

Or

Om bhur bhuvah svah.
    Tat savitur varenyam:
    bhargo devasya dhimahi.
    Dhiyo yo nah prachodayat.

The changes in the spelling depends on where you get the information.

Translation:

Oh God! Thou art the Giver of Life, Remover of pain and sorrow,
    The Bestower of happiness, Oh! Creator of the Universe,
    May we receive thy supreme sin-destroying light,
    May Thou guide our intellect in the right direction.

Also, below is a breakdown (and another translation):

OM – Para Brahman BHUR – Bhu loka (Physical plane). It also refers to the physical body made up of the 5 Pancha Bhutas (5 elements). These 5 elements constitute Prakriti (Nature). BHUVA – Bhuva loka – the middle world. Bhuva is also Prana Sakti. However it is the presence of Prajnana that enables the Prana Sakti to animate the body. It is on this account that the Vedas have declared “Prajnanam Brahma” (Constant integrated awareness is Brahman). SVAHA – Swarga loka (Heaven – the region of the Gods) SS9/95 – 234 TAT – Paramatma, God or Brahman SAVITUR – That from which all this is born VARENYAM – Fit to be worshipped BHARGO – The Radiance, the Spiritual Effulgence, the Light that bestows Wisdom DEVASYA – Divine Reality DHEEMAHI – We meditate DHI YO – Buddhi, Intellect YO – Which NAH – Our PRACHODAYAT – Enlighten.

The Gayatri Mantra may be translated in many ways. One such translation is as follows:

(OM) OM (Dheemahi) We meditate (Bhargo) upon the Spiritual Effulgence (Varenyam Devasya) of THAT adorable Supreme Divine Reality (Savitur) the Source (Bhur, Bhuva, Svaha) of the Physical, the Astral, and the Heavenly spheres of Existence (TAT) May THAT Supreme Divine Being (Prachodayat) enlighten (Yo) which (Nah) our (Dhi Yo) intellect (so that we may realise the Supreme Truth).

Also Dhi Yo YoNah Prachodayat = Awaken my Discrimination, O Lord and guide me.
    So much for the "radio" bit.
    Last edited by ShadowMaat; 07 May 2005, 11:49 AM. Reason: stupid invalid smiley codes

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
      It was the miniseries soundtrack? Yeah the music for the was pretty sparse, but from the samples I've heard the series soundtrack has variety.

Bear McCreary

There are more samples of music from the series, they aren't all confined to the scifi section there are BSG samples in most of the categories. The best ones IMHO is 'Wander My Friends', 'Starbuck's Memories' and 'The Shape of Things to Come'. But all of them are pretty good.
      I quite like "Destroy the Olympic Carrier" and "Battle" as well.

-IMF
      "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
      "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
      BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Thats really cool! Thanx Shadow!
        Xander: Damn it! You know what? I'm sick of this crap. I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis. As of this moment, it's over. I'm finished being everybody's butt monkey!

Comment

According to various sources, Bear McCreary's wonderful music for Season One of Battlestar Galactica will be released on La La Land records sometime in June.
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak
            According to various sources, Bear McCreary's wonderful music for Season One of Battlestar Galactica will be released on La La Land records sometime in June.

You are definately correct with that one

Comment

There's a recurring piano piece in episode 2x2 that's driving me up the wall. I love it and I'm sure I've heard it before.... I keep thinking it was also used in a Beautiful Mind but I'm not sure. Does anyone know what it is? I would love to find out. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by webbeacon
                There's a recurring piano piece in episode 2x2 that's driving me up the wall. I love it and I'm sure I've heard it before.... I keep thinking it was also used in a Beautiful Mind but I'm not sure. Does anyone know what it is? I would love to find out. Thanks!
                It was a Philip Glass piece in “Valley of Darkness”. One of my favorite set of scenes this season because they had practically no dialogue and the music fit nicely with the emotion of the scenes.

I hope they include it on the soundtrack.
                IMO always implied.

Comment

Any word on when the Season Two CD will be available?
                  sigpic
                  Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Any word on when the Season Two CD will be available?
                    According to Bear McCreary's web site, the season two soundtrack is scheduled for a June release.

Comment

Ok a lot of questions here about the music for BSG.

Soundtrack.net is a good resource for this kind of thing.

1) Bear McCreary scores the Season 2 finale (has link for podcast from scoring session)
                      http://www.soundtrack.net/news/article/?id=731

2) The Soundtrack.net profile for Season 1, includes extensive information about the many cues in the music.
                      http://www.soundtrack.net/soundtracks/database/?id=3978

3) The Philip Glass piano piece featured in 2x2 is called Metamorphosis One.

Comment

Originally posted by Vee
                        According to Bear McCreary's web site, the season two soundtrack is scheduled for a June release.
                        Cool, thanks for the info Vee.
                        sigpic

Comment

Cool, thanks for the info Vee.

LaLaLandRecords is already announcing the 2nd CD, though we still can´t pre-order it.

But june is not so far away, isn´t it?

Comment

Originally posted by DOIKECARTER
                            LaLaLandRecords is already announcing the 2nd CD, though we still can´t pre-order it.

But june is not so far away, isn´t it?
                            Less than two months away. But the question is, when in June is the CD released?
                            sigpic

Comment

Less than two months away. But the question is, when in June is the CD released?

we have a CD cover! Still not a release date...

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/SciFi.html

Comment

Originally posted by DOIKECARTER
                                we have a CD cover! Still not a release date...

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/SciFi.html
                                I like that CD cover!!! I can't wait till it comes out!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X