Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colonials vs. Wraith - who would win?

Hi all.

Not sure if this topic is in the right place (since it belongs to both BSG and the Stargate Universe) - but just out of interest/ speculation, if the Colonials ever ran into the Wraith, and a big war commenced... who would win?

Personally i think it would go in favour of the colonials.. why?

1.) We ve seen Wraith Hives get hit by nukes and get badly crippled (Just 1 nuke in the case of No Man's Land) - on the other hand, we ve seen Galactica get hit by one nuke, Pegasus get hit by 2 - 3 at the scorpio shipyard... then again by 3 in the "captain's hand" - and both ships seem reasonably combat-operational still.

Thus i think its not too much of a stretch of the imagination that even colonial ships as old as the Galactica could give a Wraith Hive a run for its money when it comes to the capability of their armour compared to one another.

2.) Weapon systems. We ve seen Wraith Hives weapons vs. other Wraith Hives armour (which we can conclude is possibly inferior to colonial armour - or at least not very much more advanced than colonial armour!) - the Wraith hives weapons are pretty effective against other Hives... but it still takes a long time for 1 Hive to destroy the other - implying that a Battlestar would be able to take a fairly large pounding from Wraith fire if we assume their armour isn't far off the Wraith's - and certainly so if their armour is infact capable of withstanding more punishment than the Wraith's.

On the otherhand.... the same can be applied to the Battlestar's main weapons (mass Drivers/ Rail Guns etc... and the occassional nuke) - which if we assume cylon armour isn't far off the battlestar's armour equivilant, then cylon armour capability wouldn't be far off Wraith Hives... thus we get a good impression of the effectiveness of the Battlestars main weapons from where we ve seen the Battlestars seriously engage enemy cylon basestars.

Thus, going off this, given the sheer brute firepower of the Battlestars arsenal of weapons - whether it be anti-fighter "perimiter" suppression flak systems (which would tear darts to pieces - potentially clearing a path for a nuke to fly through to hit a Hive), or the main anti-ship mass drivers and rail guns, or even the mercury (i.e. Pegasus) Battlestar classes forward guns - then i think the Battlestars would have the advantage against enemy Hives in firepower - though it would be a close run thing.

3.) Vipers vs. Darts... i actually don't think this would be a contest - Vipers would butcher the enemy - plus there's always a lot of Vipers, so the Wraith Dart's numerical superiority would be slim at best.

4.) The sheer size of the colonial fleet (pre-cylon genocide) - according to battlestarwiki (http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Colonial_Fleet_(RDM) - "At the time of the Cylon holocaust, the Colonial Fleet includes approximately 120 battlestars[4], thousands of smaller vessels[5], numerous squadrons of Vipers and Raptors assigned to each, and various support ships".

The Wraith potentially could find themselves the one's outnumbered in any war. lol

Who does everyone think would win such a war, and why?

Well since BSG prides itself on realism, I'd say the Wraith...although their strength throughout SGA has always been sporadic.

But then the Colonials have a higher power on their side. The wraith will probably turn and flee once a nebula starts to launch All Along The Watchtower at them.
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

The nukes used in SGA are naquadah enhanced so they're orders of magnitude above whatever BSG uses, this means your armor comparison is way off. In season 1 we made nukes in the 1000 megaton range, by season 3 of SGA we've had access to naq for like 9 years so I'd expect even higher yields. The nukes in BSG don't come close which means that a Hive will waste a battle star in seconds IMO.
      Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

wraith. this is spite btw

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
          The nukes used in SGA are naquadah enhanced so they're orders of magnitude above whatever BSG uses, this means your armor comparison is way off. In season 1 we made nukes in the 1000 megaton range, by season 3 of SGA we've had access to naq for like 9 years so I'd expect even higher yields. The nukes in BSG don't come close which means that a Hive will waste a battle star in seconds IMO.
          Thats wishful thinking. You forget that in the siege part 2 Sheppard pilots a jumper with a Geni nuke which vapourises a Wraith Hive - that nuke was built by the Geni (who needed McKay to point them in the right direction for their research) - and which upon the Atlantis expedition getting the nuke, its still half complete - thus completed in the space of a couple of hours by McKay.

Thus if a half-baked nuke - built by a barely-technologically advanced race who's still getting the fundamentals of nuke building put inplace - can destroy a Wraith Hive, my armour comparison really isn't off at all. We have no reason (or evidence) to think that the nukes the X304's carry are anything but ordinary nukes.

Battlestars will own the Hives

Comment

Originally posted by ianjones1246 View Post
            On the otherhand.... the same can be applied to the Battlestar's main weapons (mass Drivers/
            Uh, wrong sci-fi-verse
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by ianjones1246 View Post
              Thats wishful thinking. You forget that in the siege part 2 Sheppard pilots a jumper with a Geni nuke which vapourises a Wraith Hive - that nuke was built by the Geni (who needed McKay to point them in the right direction for their research) - and which upon the Atlantis expedition getting the nuke, its still half complete - thus completed in the space of a couple of hours by McKay.

Thus if a half-baked nuke - built by a barely-technologically advanced race who's still getting the fundamentals of nuke building put inplace - can destroy a Wraith Hive, my armour comparison really isn't off at all. We have no reason (or evidence) to think that the nukes the X304's carry are anything but ordinary nukes.

Battlestars will own the Hives
              That nuke exploded inside the ship, there's no way a kiloton nuke could vaporise a ship the size of a Hive ship it could only have been secondary explosions which caused the vaporization.

A nuke exploding inside a ship means it can bypass all the armor, it may have been the exploding power generators which took out the ship. In season 1 we were using 1000 megaton nukes against the Goa'uld, I doubt we'd be using anything weaker than that against the Wraith.
              Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

besides all the hive has to do is ram into the battlestar

Comment

Wraith, easily. Galactica has regular GUNS. 304 railguns are massive magnitudes more powerfull. Wraith weaponary would likely tear apart Galactica. Sorry folks.
                  Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

just get some raptors into the hive launch bays and then once inside jump

may not take out the hive ship but it would at least dent it
                    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I see a Galactica vs. Wraith ship battle a lot like the way the Galactica/Colony battle played out: without a huge advantage, Galactica would get just swatted--but would take a hell of a pounding before she finally broke.
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Wraith simply because they have shields, as for nukes they'd get shot down soon as they were launched, as powerful as they are, they are still only missiles and wratih tech could easy swat them before they detonated.
                        I got nothing!

Comment

Originally posted by akuma07 View Post
                          Wraith simply because they have shields, .
                          wraith don't have shields ???
                          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

even thoug bsg nukes might not be as powerful as a sg nuke i guess a dozen or so will do quite some damage to a hive

jump in a dozen raptors at close range and have them lauch the nukes, then jump out.
                            the nukes will hit before the wraith even knew what hit them
                            check my story's:
                            Battlestar group 16
                            and Under Siege
                            and respond at:
                            Battlestar group 16 (For BSG 16 and Under siege)
                            my newest story:
                            TFS Ticonderoga
                            and respond at:
                            TFS Ticonderoga

Comment

So on one hand we've got a society of humans confined to a single star system and on the other a society that holds claim over a significant portion of a small galaxy, that's more technologically advanced and obviously more numerous. Oh and their entire population consists not of humans, but demi human space vampires who have little fear of death or injury and, with the exception of rare female children, are all physically stronger and vastly more resiliant to injury than a healthy human male soldier by several times over. Oh and they're all lifelong conditioned killers who sustain their entire existence specifically by making war on and eventually consuming other sentients, especially those significantly weaker than them.

Oh I'm just dying to know how this one is going to turn out.

Comment

Working...
                              X