Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So yeah. About that "Final Five" theme music (spoilers possible, proceed at own risk)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So yeah. About that "Final Five" theme music (spoilers possible, proceed at own risk)

First, the theme's melody, notated. I'll explain it so even nonmusicians can understand it:

My thanks to whomever for the original image- I'd credit the user directly, but I can't find the post itself. Also my thanks to McCreary and the BSG writers who (if I'm correct with the concluding speculation) accomplished something really slick here.

Let's begin. There are five unique tones represented in this melodic line; these are C sharp, D, E, A and G sharp, in order of appearance.

Next, count the number of total notes. We're discounting the thing with the number 3 over it as a mere musical decoration- replace this triplet with another eighth-note G sharp, as the fifth note in the line is itself.

There are five unique tones. There are five "Final" Cylons. More, there are eleven notes total. There are eleven jumps (she's the one who said it) for Boomer to get to Colony with Hera after she kidnaps her (on Cavil's orders, and don't forget that part).

It may seem like a stretch- but then, recall what Hera gave to Kara. Also recall what happened when Kara placed the sheet music she had written with Daniel's (was that Daniel? Or Kara's father? Or is the one also the other?) help on top of the dots on the page she received from Hera.

We've covered the facts, analyzed the theme, and recounted some previous points. Here's my theory:

I'm pretty certain, as many of us here are, that those dots on the page Hera drew are actually a map. What is interesting- and led me to pick the theme apart a bit, as I did above- is that the dots correspond perfectly with the melody of the song- a song, we are led to believe, Kara learned from her father when she was a little girl.

I think Daniel may have known how obsessed, jealous, and sociopathic Cavil was, and either knew or suspected Cavil was up to absolutely no good. I think Daniel may have either taught the music to Kara's father, to teach to her or, being her father himself, taught it to her directly, perhaps to preserve the knowledge. What he couldn't possibly have known is the role Kara would play later on....... or did he?

What is especially intriguing to me, as a musician, is that (to quote Pythagoras) all is number- number after number after number. What that means is, although the above is interesting, it isn't necessarily the whole story. I'm wondering if the numerical relationships of the chords themselves (apart from the melody above, AKA "the rest of it"), as Kara is remembering/relearning them on the piano, may well play an equally vital role. I think those chords may contain the actual information necessary for the humans and allied Cylons to find either Colony or another Earth.

In conclusion, the song could itself be all of the coded and perhaps compressed information necessary for them to retrace the steps the Final Five took to get to the Colonies of Kobol in the first place.

Discuss!
    Can ye tell me why th' pirate jokes are so funny?

Because they Arrrrrrr.
Working...
X