Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BSG rewatch (spoilers up to/including season 4.0)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know what you're talking about, I think Grace Park is a fantastic actress, as evidenced by her role in the webisodes... I was blown away by her acting.

Comment

Over the last month I've rewatched the entire series. I've had episodes for season 4 saved on my DVR for 7 months. You really notice the filler episodes when you watch the series back to back like I did, end of season 2, some in season 3 but its such a good series. Its well written, well acted. Its a shame that it hasn't won more awards just because its "sci-fi". I keep hoping that its going to get a lot of awards once the series finishes, kind of like Lord of Rings got the oscars after the 3rd movie.

Comment

Originally posted by thevarrior View Post
        I don't know what you're talking about, I think Grace Park is a fantastic actress, as evidenced by her role in the webisodes... I was blown away by her acting.
        I find her pretty painful to watch, pretty much all of the time she's on-screen. She's seems to be capable only of zero emoting (which comes across as a huffy "why am I even having to say this?"), or else way too much emoting (which comes across as hopelessly whiny and "why isn't anyone listening to me?"). Can't stand her. She's not even charming in her inability the way someone like William Shatner is, just aggravating to try and watch.

I'll probably end up watching the webisodes tonight after I'm done with 'Revelations', so I'll report back then.

Originally posted by Arative View Post
        You really notice the filler episodes when you watch the series back to back like I did, end of season 2, some in season 3 but its such a good series
        Yeah, you really do notice filler on a rewatch. I've noticed that a lot too, glad to see that by season 4 it's been done away with.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

'Revelations'
          The underlying theme of the episode, and I suppose in a broader way of the entire season, is change.

Early in 'Revelations', Roslin is ready to have Adama destroy the rebel Baseship so only they can have Earth, She still sees the Cylons as mortal enemies, despite how things have changed. Later, as things come to a showdown, Roslin immediately realizes Baltar's use in talking D'anna down. On that note I think it's worth pointing out that Baltar's experience over the last three years has enabled him to be enormously effective in explaining to D'anna how this is the wrong course of action. I also find it more than a little intriguing that in this moment, Baltar saved humanity from total annihilation.

Change is also seen simply in how events play out. Had Roslin and/or Adama been at the helm during the standoff, it's entirely likely that things would have gone south in a hurry. Had the Sharons/Sixes/Leobens been in control of the Cylons, rather than a D'anna who had seen things unseen and been reborn into a changed Cylon universe, things probably would have gone south. The absence of all the traditional leaders meant one thing: children coming into their own. The "big moment", peace, was achieved not by the 'old guard' of human and Cylon, but a 'new generation' of leaders willing to change and compromise for the future.

As to that, there are some terrific lines in this episode, absolutely terrific. "All this has happened before--" "But it doesn't have to happen again" "Where do we go from here?" Is a terrific example of change, and the aforementioned compromise. Likewise a short time later, when Adama decides to be in the CiC for the final jump to Earth: "Frak it, this is the end of the line. We have nowhere else to go. We all go together." Great lines, wonderfully delivered.

This ep also seems to carry with it the message that no victory comes without a cost. Peace does not come without compromise, revelation of the final four doesn't come without emotional devastation to Roslin, Kara, and the Admiral. Finding Earth, came with it the revelation that it is a barren waste. No victory comes without a cost.

On that same note, I find it intriguing that the revealing of the four to human and Cylon alike happens to coincide with the destruction of the Hub and the end of all Cylon resurrection. Whether or not the Five could resurrect via normal means is not yet known--but now, regardless of the answer, they cannot. Their lives are finite and mortal, just like everyone else, human and Cylon alike.

A little note (ha!) on the music....it's returned! It attracts the four to Kara's mystery Viper. I'm sure it's far more than coincidental that the first time they're drawn somewhere by the music, it's at the same time as Kara's mysterious reappearance; and the second time is to her Viper. On this subject as well, I think it's interesting that the signal detected by the Mystery Viper is actually a Colonial Emergency Locater Signal. Could it be the original Viper's distress beacon the Mystery Viper is detecting? And why is it that only the Mystery Viper sees it, but nothing else does?

Musically, another winner. The tense music as Kara runs through the ship to save Saul from being airlocked is gripping and puts you at the edge of your seat; the absolutely moving piece as the fleet jumps to and arrives at Earth makes your eyes well up at the final victory of finding Earth. That wonderful piece paired with the stunning shot of the fleet, Galactica and Baseship blasted all to hell, settling into orbit of Earth, fantastic stuff.

But if there's one thing BSG can do like no other show, it's season finales. Seeing the desolate and ruined Earth, with all of the main and supporting cast walking around wondering what the hell happened there (with no music playing, to add to the effect) was just chilling. Where do they go from here? How do they top this? Hell if I know. Tomorrow....
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

'The Face of the Enemy'
            Spoiler:
            First reaction: what the frak, where the hell is Earth?

Gaeta in a relationship with Hoshi is....interesting, I suppose. Not exactly expected, not really unexpected.

I laughed a little when the Sharon got electrocuted....I'm sorry. It's not because I dislike Grace Park, it's because of the writing of the scene.... Of course her heart's stopped, she's just been electrocuted. Nobody there even THINKS to try CPR?

I really like Felix in this whole series of webisodes. It's really great to see his character get more development and attention...

He makes a great authority figure. Taking charge on the Raptor was very unexpected but felt very, very right.

It was nice to see some New Caprica flashbacks too....Felix, doing much the same as Ellen, being involved with a Cylon in order to save human lives during the Occupation. Grace Park is at least loosely tolerable in these scenes, and it's pretty interesting to see a Cylon working against her own kind in them....even if it turned out to be a trick. His giving names to the Sharon, who ended up being killed.... Great twist.

That and involving the trickster Eight in the conversation with Baltar in season 3. Amazing fit, I loved that.

Sharon cutting into her own hand was a little gross, but Felix picking at his stump....ew. lol

I wonder how Felix can get away with not being charged with murder, being the only survivor. Even if it's conveniently swept under the rug the way it was in this.

Nice to see the aftermath of the Four being revealed too, Felix not trusting them in the least. That, and Tyrol having some idea to share with the Admiral. Interesting....

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              'Revelations'
              The underlying theme of the episode, and I suppose in a broader way of the entire season, is change.

Early in 'Revelations', Roslin is ready to have Adama destroy the rebel Baseship so only they can have Earth, She still sees the Cylons as mortal enemies, despite how things have changed. Later, as things come to a showdown, Roslin immediately realizes Baltar's use in talking D'anna down. On that note I think it's worth pointing out that Baltar's experience over the last three years has enabled him to be enormously effective in explaining to D'anna how this is the wrong course of action. I also find it more than a little intriguing that in this moment, Baltar saved humanity from total annihilation.

Change is also seen simply in how events play out. Had Roslin and/or Adama been at the helm during the standoff, it's entirely likely that things would have gone south in a hurry. Had the Sharons/Sixes/Leobens been in control of the Cylons, rather than a D'anna who had seen things unseen and been reborn into a changed Cylon universe, things probably would have gone south. The absence of all the traditional leaders meant one thing: children coming into their own. The "big moment", peace, was achieved not by the 'old guard' of human and Cylon, but a 'new generation' of leaders willing to change and compromise for the future.

As to that, there are some terrific lines in this episode, absolutely terrific. "All this has happened before--" "But it doesn't have to happen again" "Where do we go from here?" Is a terrific example of change, and the aforementioned compromise. Likewise a short time later, when Adama decides to be in the CiC for the final jump to Earth: "Frak it, this is the end of the line. We have nowhere else to go. We all go together." Great lines, wonderfully delivered.

This ep also seems to carry with it the message that no victory comes without a cost. Peace does not come without compromise, revelation of the final four doesn't come without emotional devastation to Roslin, Kara, and the Admiral. Finding Earth, came with it the revelation that it is a barren waste. No victory comes without a cost.

On that same note, I find it intriguing that the revealing of the four to human and Cylon alike happens to coincide with the destruction of the Hub and the end of all Cylon resurrection. Whether or not the Five could resurrect via normal means is not yet known--but now, regardless of the answer, they cannot. Their lives are finite and mortal, just like everyone else, human and Cylon alike.

A little note (ha!) on the music....it's returned! It attracts the four to Kara's mystery Viper. I'm sure it's far more than coincidental that the first time they're drawn somewhere by the music, it's at the same time as Kara's mysterious reappearance; and the second time is to her Viper. On this subject as well, I think it's interesting that the signal detected by the Mystery Viper is actually a Colonial Emergency Locater Signal. Could it be the original Viper's distress beacon the Mystery Viper is detecting? And why is it that only the Mystery Viper sees it, but nothing else does?

Musically, another winner. The tense music as Kara runs through the ship to save Saul from being airlocked is gripping and puts you at the edge of your seat; the absolutely moving piece as the fleet jumps to and arrives at Earth makes your eyes well up at the final victory of finding Earth. That wonderful piece paired with the stunning shot of the fleet, Galactica and Baseship blasted all to hell, settling into orbit of Earth, fantastic stuff.

But if there's one thing BSG can do like no other show, it's season finales. Seeing the desolate and ruined Earth, with all of the main and supporting cast walking around wondering what the hell happened there (with no music playing, to add to the effect) was just chilling. Where do they go from here? How do they top this? Hell if I know. Tomorrow....
              Just finished watching it myself. The music! Just so amazing.....I'm rather inarticulate with all the excitement and whatnot.

Comment

Working...
              X