This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Esquin View Post
    To all of you who are saying we can't possibly know if these are real or fake you're wrong.

They're fake. I can say with 100% certainty and if this is real i'd be willing to give $50 to the topic creator. Won't of course but yeah.

The images come from a 3d website that is basically jsut amateur 3d artists making fan models. There are about 10 fan made battlestars on the site.
    U know which website? i'd love 2 get my hands on em

Comment

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/

You need to register to view images but it's free and worth it. There is some amazing stuff on there.

Comment

O.k., stubborn as I am, at this point I have to admit I'M WRONG.

It took the trouble of downloading the clip in question, loading it into some editing software, throwing it up on a 61" high deff monitor, and going over it frame by frame paying very close attention to everything Aussie 86 sited, and he (or she) is DEAD RIGHT on every single point.

Comment

So the fact taht I just provided you with the fan site that made the ship models for these suposed new battlestars in no way tipped you off?

Some people....

Comment

Esquin -
            So the fact taht I just provided you with the fan site that made the ship models for these suposed new battlestars in no way tipped you off?
            Frankly Esquin, no. Pointing to a site where you can download "ship models" wasn't enough to convince me for all the reasons I noted in my post.

Look E, I'm really not trying to bust yer chops here. But since you don't seem to quite "get" what we were talking about I'll try to put it in less esoteric terms so you can see why having a site where you can download "ship models" shouldn't lead you, or anyone else, to conclude "Ah ha! That has to be a fake!"

That site does not provide "ship models". It provides meshes, raw meshes. A "mesh" is nothing but a whole S--- load of polygons. Little tiny triangles, usually, that when viewed as a file look, just as the name suggests, like a mesh shocking, or like a kind of sculpture of the ship made out of chicken wire.

To get a mesh to look like a ship, you have to run the mesh through a rendering program that adds a kind of gray "skin" over the raw mesh.
            But that doesn't make it look "real" either.
            At that point you get a rendering that looks like it was cut from plain gray clay.
            In order to sort of "paint" the plain gray clay model, you have to add what are called "texture maps", or "color maps".
            And even THAT doesn't look "real" yet.
            There are a whole bunch of other steps you have to go through to make a "ship model" out of a mesh.
            And even then you have to animate it.

That's why pointing me to that site didn't convince me. At best all that site offers is what looks like a sculpture made out of plain gray clay. I'm not trying to bust yer chops here, it's just you should realize that just because you can download a mesh someplace is no reason to suspect that having that mesh would provide you with the means to pull off a fake like that.

A fake like that requires MUCH more than what you could d.l. on that site.

You'd still need - texture, color, bump, luminosity, and transparency maps, (that aren't available for d.l. on that site).
            Then you'd need spot, diffuse, and point lights, with the proper gels (that aren't available for d.l. on that site).
            Then you'd need camera and lens controls (that aren't available for d.l. on that site).
            Then you'd need camera and "character" animation pathways, to make it all move (that aren't available for d.l. on that site).
            You'd need "background at infinity" maps, to add the stars (that aren't available for d.l. on that site).
            And even, possibly, "layer compositing" to tie it all together (that isn't available for d.l. on that site either).

In short, just pointing anyone to that site, ain't enough.

It was Aussie 86's points, all of which take into account that just having a fan site where you can download a few meshes isn't anywhere close to being enough to produce the vid in question that convinced me.

Again, not tryin' to bust yer chops, just tryin' to offer some fyi stuff to a fellow fan ya know?

Peace.

Comment

It doesn't matter.

The clip used models that were made by fans of the show who aren't on the design team. Therefore it's fake end of story. How is this a difficult concept to understand.

Comment

If the clip was real then I would still highly doubt that those are Earth Battlestars. The 13th tribe evolved seperately from the rest of the 12 tribes so I find it highly unlikely that Earth would have Battlestars/vessels that are similar in design to Colonial Battlestars.
                Account Inactive
                Account Inactive
                Account Inactive
                Account Inactive
                Account Inactive
                Account Inactive
                Account Inactive
                Account Inactive
                Account Inactive
                Account Inactive
                Account Inactive
                Account Inactive
                Account Inactive
                Account Inactive
                Account Inactive
                Account Inactive
                Account Inactive
                Account Inactive
                Account Inactive
                Account Inactive
                Account Inactive
                Account Inactive
                Account Inactive
                Account Inactive
                Account Inactive
                Account Inactive
                Account Inactive

Comment

Having just watched the footage, the hades and titan i would say are fake, the cgi for them is well below the show standard and as such it justed looked wrong. Cool as it would be if earth had battlestars personally it just doesn't fit at all. Plus in all the other promo footage i've seen many shots are repeated where as these new battlestars aren't that i've noticed. Therefore FAKE!

Comment

Working...
                  X