Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I enjoyed the movie. Everyone played their parts well and there was sufficient action/character movement.

I do wonder why everyone has any sympathy whatsoever for Gina. I don't.

I could never treat any person/animal or even thing the way Cain's people did, but I don't mind that she was treated that way. She played a role in the genocide of an entire species, a crusade of evil. I don't count that as one of the decisions Cain made that was wrong in any fashion.

Did Cain descend into a darker morality in a slow fashion? I don't think so. She might even strip those civilian ships even if they happened to be right at the random light jump to escape from the original attack. I think all it took was realizing that her society was gone, her purpose was gone. Adama was able to embrace a civilian fleet and the idea of earth, much sooner than Cain, and still serve his purpose, to defend the citizens of the colonies. Maybe those civilian ships were nothing but a laughable reminder to Cain of all she and every other survivor had lost. If you think you are already in Hell, then it doesn't matter what you do. I do think it was wrong, just in case you aren't getting that.

However, I don't think executing her XO was a problem. Refusing to follow orders during a time of war used to get you executed on the battlefield (and by used to, I mean as late as WWII). I think only in Western societies has that changed, and likely because we've not had a war on our own soil for quite some time. Let Putin start a nuclear war or something, and the US will be shooting draft dodgers left and right, with no standard level of due process, not to mention those not following orders. It's not unusual as far as combat goes. Heck Adama threw the president in the brig and came close to executing her I think. He didn't want to tow the civilians around at first either. I liked that he acknowledged that it was Lee and the President who largely steered him away from the path Cain took, which was perhaps the natural path for any military leader. If you think the militaries of this world, including Western ones haven't regularly taken what they need from civilians without consent, you need to read a lot more military history, or maybe read and watch foreign (perhaps even BBC) news.

I am hoping we get some explanation as to why earth society, if we are supposedly a colony of Kobol, do not have any space faring technology. How pissed will Adama be when he gets here and now has to defend a stationary planet on top of the colonial fleet heh

I can totally see why "This has all happened before and will happen again and again and again." would happen. How likely are we as a society to develop robots we use and abuse? Damn, even on CBC radio I heard a tech guy talking about how 20 years down the road he expects full blown sex bots. I am not sure about the timeline, but I can see it happening. There is tons of research into AI. Why? Lol, we have way too many cautionary tales in Sci-fi. I wouldn't own an AI bot even if I was paid to do so. All I can think of is getting torn limb from limb even if I was nice heh. Heck even the Star Trek computer is a little too close for me, I would be saying "please computer..." and "thank-you computer..." for every little request heh

I sure hope the military tech geniuses from around the world at least saw Terminator and remember more than just the action scenes.

Season 4 should be fantastic, the show has had a few mediocre episodes but those are always lost to me in reviewing the entire series. It is wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
      He sees the future essentially. "This has all happened before and will happen again and again and again."

They mixed in bits of "future" stuff that we (having already seen season 3) would know took place like he said with additional predictions we haven't seen yet on purpose.
      the point was that, when he is prophecizing, he always speaks in the future tense. here, he didn't, while it hadn't happened yet. watch it again, it's inconsistent

Comment

Did anyone else noticed that they re-dubbed some of the scenes with Young Adama?

I was watching the Unrated version of the DVD last night and noticed that they replaced "frakker's" with "cocksucker's" in the battle scene where Adama goes after one of the Raiders.

I just turned on CC to verify what I thought I heard:

Scene from the Minisodes:
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...Fan/ASDF-1.jpg

Scene from the Unrated Version of Razor:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...Fan/ASDF-0.jpg
        Last edited by Skydiver; 07 December 2007, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
          First when confronted with the possbility of the entire human race being wiped out eventually the military model has to give way in order to pro-create. It is obvious that ADM Cain and 6 were going to reproduce! Now to the next. I am a civilian contractor much like 6 was portrayed to be. Inside the scope of my job there are certain things that are allowed and not allowed. For example my boss is a Col. We have professional standards even though I am not in the military. It is the same situation here. Even though 6 wasnt in the Fleet she was for lack of the BSG term a contractor and therefore subject to many of the same laws anyone else in the fleet would of been subject too.
          Sorry but that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever! It's okay for Apollo and Dee to be together because they're straight and can have babies with each other, but it's not okay for Cain and Gina because they're both women?? What kind of logic is that? First of all, they got married because they love each other not because they wanted to have babies in order to repopulate the human race. Second, if the military really did relax their policy for them because of the population problem, did Apollo and Dee then have to prove that they were both capable of having children with each other before they were allowed to get married? Remember just because you're straight doesn't mean that you're fertile and even capable of having children. Also, did they have to sign a contract saying that they will have a child within a year of marriage or their marriage will be revoked? Furthermore, even if the military did want Apollo to have babies, why does he have to do it with his XO? Isn't that like the worst person he could possibly pick? If she gets pregnant, well I guess they'll need a temporary XO during her maternity leave. Also, isn't having a husaband and wife commanding the ship is worst idea in the world? What happens if they got into a fight the previous night? If anything, this would be the perfect example of why rules like this exist in the military. At least with Cain and Gina, their military functions only require that they work together once in awhile, but with Apollo and Dee they're like tied to the hip both at work and at home.

Comment

one thing about cain's and gina's relationship....ok, if it was against the rules, who was gonna enforce them????

The crew of the pegasus was all that was left (that they knew of) thus they were law unto themselves.

If you're the last 1000 people on earth and you know that stealing is bad yet you loot a Walmart for food, who's gonna chase you down and lock you up?

Also, we're putting earth morals and standards on an alien race.
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              Not just earth standards but American military standards in particular, which are even more irrelevant to the situation. Next you'll be quoting the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy.

Comment

one thing about cain's and gina's relationship....ok, if it was against the rules, who was gonna enforce them????

The crew of the pegasus was all that was left (that they knew of) thus they were law unto themselves.

If you're the last 1000 people on earth and you know that stealing is bad yet you loot a Walmart for food, who's gonna chase you down and lock you up?

I believe i made an similar point earlier on. I believe it may be possible that gina may explain why cain is such a discplinarian. Or at least more so. Afterall she broke the rules to have a relationship with gina and it cost her.
                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

what i see with cain and her discipline...a woman scorned. fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

and any other cliche you can come up with. basically, she got betrayed and emotionally lashed out, probably feeling the need to overcompensate to 'atone' for falling for a cylon
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

what i see with cain and her discipline...a woman scorned. fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

and any other cliche you can come up with. basically, she got betrayed and emotionally lashed out, probably feeling the need to overcompensate to 'atone' for falling for a cylon
                    Couldn't have said it any better.

Comment

If the were going to do that they should have broke it down it into 1 hour episodes.And no it was not worth the wait.And then they have the nerve to hold us back 3 or 4 more months.It is not right or fair.I think I might stop being a BSG fan because they make me wait so long.

Comment

Originally posted by Prototype View Post
                        If the were going to do that they should have broke it down it into 1 hour episodes.And no it was not worth the wait.And then they have the nerve to hold us back 3 or 4 more months.It is not right or fair.I think I might stop being a BSG fan because they make me wait so long.
                        well if it was under noraml situations we would see it by january but this writers strike sort of gets in the way. I say let's suport the writers of our favorite shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitering
                          If you think the militaries of this world, including Western ones haven't regularly taken what they need from civilians without consent, you need to read a lot more military history, or maybe read and watch foreign (perhaps even BBC) news.
                          +1, real-life has no doubt had/has its share of Cain & Shaw-style war criminals (so by war criminals I mean those who give the illegal orders as well as those who carry them out, of course) and as someone pointed out earlier on, in times of war law due process human rights & morality tend to go down the toilet drain pronto (well at least you folks have the 2nd Amendment to give you hope in such times, if not much else lol)
                          kinda ironic that although Cain swiftly turned her back to her duties towards the colonies (hence its people) she also expected her own drones subordinates to follow her law without question just as swiftly...
                          that said, Shaw was excellent as a new "evil sidekick" in the show, though her addition may have been superfluous as Fisk would've been (IMO) almost as quick to set law & morality aside and pull the trigger as Shaw was. he may have shown (affected ?) reticence at times but in the end he still obeyed his superior's orders regardless of their legal or moral basis (or lack thereof), basically he made a fine villain in his own right. but perhaps his was more the stance of a coward who feared for his own life after having seen the former XO taken out on the bridge & was thus willing to do anything for self-preservation (hey somehow this reminds me of another guy on the show, a main character at that :-) btw Shaw spoke of indictment, did Adama & Roslin intend to charge her with those crimes upon returning from the mission ? (perhaps I missed some lines ...)

anyway...what's the deal with that old cylon hybrid being seemingly omniscient ? sure the show's had its fair share of mysticism in the past (and personally I don't mind an a priori Sci-fi show going Sci-fi-fantasy as I like both genres), but to that extent ?

edit> of course Gina once again was one magnificient creature to behold (at least outside the brig -)
                          Last edited by SoulReaver; 11 December 2007, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
                            +1, real-life has no doubt had/has its share of Cain & Shaw-style war criminals (so by war criminals I mean those who give the illegal orders as well as those who carry them out, of course) and as someone pointed out earlier on, in times of war law due process human rights & morality tend to go down the toilet drain pronto (well at least some of you folks have the 2nd Amendment to give you hope in such times, if not much else lol)
                            interesting to note that although Cain swiftly turned her back to her duties towards the colonies (hence its people) she also expected her own drones subordinates to follow her own law without question just as swiftly...
                            that said, Shaw was excellent as a new "evil sidekick" in the show, though her addition may have been superfluous as Fisk would've been (IMO) almost as quick to set law & morality aside and pull the trigger as Shaw was. he may have shown (affected ?) reticence at times but in the end he still obeyed his superior's orders regardless of their legal or moral basis (or lack thereof), basically he made a fine villain in his own right. but perhaps his was more the stance of a coward who feared for his own life after having seen the former XO taken out on the bridge & was thus willing to do anything for self-preservation (hey somehow this reminds me of another guy on the show, a main character at that :-) btw Shaw spoke of indictment, did Adama & the President intend to charge her with those crimes upon returning from the mission ? (perhaps I missed some lines ...)

anyway...what's the deal with that old cylon hybrid being seemingly omniscient ? sure the show's had its fair share of mysticism in the past (and personally I don't mind an a priori Sci-fi show going Sci-fi-fantasy as I like both genres), but to that extent ?

edit> oh yeah and Gina once again was one magnificient creature to behold (at least outside the brig -)
                            Shaws exact line when asked about the scilla was: "I was there. Guess that's enough to indict me?" as if she's saying "i was there but so what?".

As for the hybrid.......well all i can say is: All this has happend before and will happen again

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177
                              Shaws exact line when asked about the scilla was: "I was there. Guess that's enough to indict me?" as if she's saying "i was there but so what?".
                              aye, correct - basically she left out the main part where she actively took part in this whole **** & thus avoided confessing to the shootings
                              this suggests that rule of law still prevails somewhat in Adama & Roslin's fleet, which is a good thing
                              (though we know that the BSG-verse tends to be more of a might-makes-right kinda world, and not just in times of war...)

As for the hybrid.......well all i can say is: All this has happend before and will happen again
                              eyyy I reckon we get a new BSG series every 25 years then

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
                                aye, correct - basically she left out the main part where she actively took part in this whole **** & thus avoided confessing to the shootings
                                this suggests that rule of law still prevails somewhat in Adama & Roslin's fleet, which is a good thing
                                (though we know that the BSG-verse tends to be more of a might-makes-right kinda world, and not just in times of war...)

eyyy I reckon we get a new BSG series every 25 years then
                                lol. well that's been the trend so far. lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X