X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question about Dreidas

Hey!

I'm a newbie, so be nice pwease!

Does anyone here know what Dreidas stands for? Or why it's called Dreidas?

I know, strange question, but it's been bugging me a while, so I seek your wisdom!

Bracket

xxx

who's Dreidas ?

Comment

I'm not sure if there is any special meaning, they just didn't want to use the word "Radar" for whatever reason. Perhaps Radar is specifically named after something Earthbound, like the name of it's inventor? I presume the same can be said for Dradis!

Comment

Originally posted by Wicket View Post
        I'm not sure if there is any special meaning, they just didn't want to use the word "Radar" for whatever reason. Perhaps Radar is specifically named after something Earthbound, like the name of it's inventor? I presume the same can be said for Dradis!
        wikipedia rocks..
        The term RADAR was coined in 1941 as an acronym for Radio Detection and Ranging. This acronym of American origin replaced the previously used British abbreviation RDF (which stands for Radio Direction Finding). The term has since entered the English language as a standard word, radar, losing the capitalization in the process.

---so yeah since its had 2 names on earth... calling it by the common name today would be pretty ludacris
        ..not even moros/meirden/merlin nor the rest of the ancients, could find a cure... for male pattern baldness!

What?.. Its a ship that goes through the gate.

...Or it could mean a piece of our leg...

In the middle of my backswing!?

That function is not possible

However, I must admit that I am partial to the tater tots.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseowl777 View Post
          wikipedia rocks..
          The term RADAR was coined in 1941 as an acronym for Radio Detection and Ranging. This acronym of American origin replaced the previously used British abbreviation RDF (which stands for Radio Direction Finding). The term has since entered the English language as a standard word, radar, losing the capitalization in the process.

---so yeah since its had 2 names on earth... calling it by the common name today would be pretty ludacris
          Ludacris, a rapper in the late 20th century, early 21st century, famous for the song whose lyrics include "golden calculator".
          http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

It's DRADIS, and according to the good ol' net it stands for "Direction Radius and Distance". It is, of course, totally fictional technology. I'm not sure if this is truely the meaning or just fan speculation. Best bet would be to check the entry at Battlestar Wiki to see if it's ever been confirmed officially - although the site is down at the moment.

Comment

The writers could have used "sensors" like in the ST universe...

But I like that they chose to use their own unique nomenclature for this specific tech ... adds to the separation between other sci-fi shows and sets BSG apart a tiny bit more.
              SO SAY WE ALL
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lunarleviathan View Post
                It's DRADIS, and according to the good ol' net it stands for "Direction Radius and Distance". It is, of course, totally fictional technology. I'm not sure if this is truely the meaning or just fan speculation. Best bet would be to check the entry at Battlestar Wiki to see if it's ever been confirmed officially - although the site is down at the moment.
                I've also seen it listed on some fan sources as Direction, Range & Distance. If I recall correctly DRADIS can also detect water.

Comment

With how realistic (or close to) much of Galactica is/feels, I never really thought that DRADIS wasn't a real term.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                    With how realistic (or close to) much of Galactica is/feels, I never really thought that DRADIS wasn't a real term.
                    just pointing oot the obivious joke but not making it- hehe jkjk
                    ..not even moros/meirden/merlin nor the rest of the ancients, could find a cure... for male pattern baldness!

What?.. Its a ship that goes through the gate.

...Or it could mean a piece of our leg...

In the middle of my backswing!?

That function is not possible

However, I must admit that I am partial to the tater tots.

Comment

Originally posted by Berg417448 View Post
                      I've also seen it listed on some fan sources as Direction, Range & Distance. If I recall correctly DRADIS can also detect water.
                      That's what it's listed as, but that doesn't make much sense given that range and distance mean essentially the same thing. Well, so does direction and radius come to that. So take your pick.

The world that turned out to be Kobol was investigated because the raptor carrying Sharon detected water on it, although it was never clear to me if it was the DRADIS or some other instrumentation that did it.
                      sigpic

Comment

As far as I can tell the term "DRADIS" was invented for the show. As to what it is. From what we have seen of it DRADIS is likely a combination of radar, lidar and various passive EM sensors that are integrated into a single readout. Passive sensors are things like telescopes, infra-red scopes, spectral analyzers, radar and laser detectors, gamma and neutron detectors, pretty much everything from one infra-red to gamma rays and back.

Comment

A-la-ka-necromancy!

My mind was wandering at work today, and I had a thought about this. A possible origin for the term in writing, if not an outright descriptor of the actual function, could be Declination, Right Ascension, and DIStance?

Just a random thought.
                          "I disagree with what you say and I will deny, to your death, your right to say it." -Bucky Katt

sigpic

Comment

That would certainly make a lot more sense.

I'm glad Moore retained the DRADIS as it's such an essential piece of technology, but I'm rather happy he decided to go with hours, minutes, weeks etc. rather than the microns, yahren etc. of the original show.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                              That's what it's listed as, but that doesn't make much sense given that range and distance mean essentially the same thing. Well, so does direction and radius come to that. So take your pick.

The world that turned out to be Kobol was investigated because the raptor carrying Sharon detected water on it, although it was never clear to me if it was the DRADIS or some other instrumentation that did it.
                              Hows about Detection Ranging and Direction...

Comment

Working...
                              X