Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ive gotten the "u loser", "wth is rong with u" and the "omg i need to dump you for saying that" after mentioning that i love and watch bsg... BUT... after using either blackmail or a friendly wager in order to get one of my anti-scifi friends to watch the miniseries... they all loved it 7/7 times and all kinda refused to watch it based on its name... just imagine its ratintgs if it had been called something else, something that made it ambigious to ppl that dont watch scifi but something connecting it to the name bsg...

-also it has the potential to draw in a much larger audience bc, this really is one of the least sci-fi shows of the sci-fi shows (also what makes it great and unique)... we drove around in trucks, used wired fones, shot with bullets and not beams... it should garner success from ppl that liked the terminator movies (every1 watched those)... how different are they?- instead of traveling in time, we travel in space,... coulda/shoulda done wayy better
    ..not even moros/meirden/merlin nor the rest of the ancients, could find a cure... for male pattern baldness!

What?.. Its a ship that goes through the gate.

...Or it could mean a piece of our leg...

In the middle of my backswing!?

That function is not possible

However, I must admit that I am partial to the tater tots.

Comment

As someone else said, I don't think it is the name "Galactica" that hurts it in the mainstream. That just sounds like your average scifi. A little nerdy perhaps, but a little nerdiness is alright to most people (a scifi hater wouldn't watch scifi no matter what, so I think we can discount their opinion on this topic).

No, it is the "Battlestar" that sounds god-awful. It sounds not so much dorky as it does downright cheesy. Now I like scifi, and I watch Stargate, Firefly, Farscape, and Star Trek; I even own Enterprise for crying out loud. But that name, Battlestar, just turned me right off.

I've taken a lot of flack for watching something named "Battlestar".

If it hadn't been for the ads playing night and day here with the totally naked Six looking seductively out of the screen, I probably wouldn't have bothered with the show, no matter what the few people I know who watched it said.

I've also been completely unsuccessful in converting anyone else into a... Battleite? Starite? Galacticano? Whatever fans of BSG are called.

Comment

Well, I think Battlestar Galactica is a spiffy name...so I would at least take a look at one episode out of curiousity.

Comment

Originally posted by Doze View Post
          'Half naked robots Wars', 'And they have a plan', 'Long live King Bill and Queen Laura'

Glen Larson hates the new series

Comment

I despised the old show. Even when I saw it as a kid I just could not watch it. But when I saw this new one being advertised I just saw the design of the new Galactica and just thought "Yeah. This one is going to be badass."
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Alternate names:

Colonial Exodus
              Existential Products Rebel (Again ::r::: Part 2)
              The Search for Earth
              Roslin's Refugees (in the "Hogan's Heroes" genre)
              Finding the 13th Tribe
              Survivor: Space
              Space: Above and Beyond (uh, wait, that's taken)
              The Dharma Space Project
              Modern Frankenstein: The Hybrid Bites Back

Comment

yes, yes, YES the name hurts the show.
                I think the show's name is it's biggest liability.
                That's just the way it is though. It IS Battlestar Galactica, you can't call it something else, but unfortunately that name puts a lot of people off it that would probably like it.
                sigpic
                http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

i have never in my life read such a repetition of people deluding themselves.

the ratins would be just where they are no matter the name, the ratings decline since the shows inception is directly related to the decline in the quality of the writing.

a different name would have resulted in LOWER ratings for the mini-series, have you looked at the ratings of the random garbage movies Skiffy puts out?

the mini-series would have probably pulled down something like 0.8 - 1.0 ratings with a different name.

You wouldn't even have had a show to dream of different names for.
                  That human piece of incompetent garbage currently holding the office of President of the USA is not in any way my president, I can't support a born failure. Same reason i was against the last nitwit.

Comment

I think with a less 'sci-fi' name, more people would have been drawn into it. When I mention BSG to my friends, they find it incredibly geeky because they haven't got a clue what it's about. These are the people who will watch Heroes.
                    I imagine if Heroes was called something with 'star' or spacey in the name, people wouldn't have bothered.
                    sigpic
                    http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                    http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by X-3-0-2 View Post
                      If anything the name helped the show, the bsg rmake started off with great ratings.

BSG Mini-Series part 1 12/08/2003 = 3.2
                      BSG Mini-Series part 2. 12/09/2003 = 3.8
                      bad writing hurts the show more than its battlestar name

Comment

I told someone the other day that I was going to watch BSG this Friday and they rolled their eyes because they thought it was the cheesy, campy original series. They couldn't believe the new show was a serious drama at all. So yeah, I think those old enough to remember the first series are likely to assume that the new series is exactly the same.

Comment

I didn't even know the old show, but I thought the name was incredibly cheesy and didn't bother watching until my brother convinced me to watch the miniseries and season 1.

Comment

Working...
                          X