• Show
Clear All

Watching Battlestar Galactica from the Middle East

Interesting viewpoint from IsraelInsider:

Click on the link to read the entire article. Beware of Spoilers

By Brian Blum
    October 3, 2006

I have long been a big fan of science fiction literature. My favorite first authors were Ray Bradbury, Robert Heinlein, Ira Levin and Isaac Asimov, and despite the fact my reading routine has expanded somewhat in the intervening years, my interest in alien societies and their interaction with human beings has not waned.

On TV and the big screen, I'm just as much a sci-fi fan. From Star Trek to Star Wars, The X-Files, Planet of the Apes, three Matrix movies, several versions of Dune, plus all of the Terminators (and a few too many of now Governor Schwarzenegger's less notable action flicks), I've seen more than my share.

But I wasn't prepared for what I think is clearly the most compelling sci-fi series made yet: Battlestar Galactica.

Because Battlestar Galactica is not just about pointy-headed humanoids who somehow speak English fluently while wreaking havoc on the space-time continuum (no offense intended, Gene). Rather, BSG is about the world we live in today, and how bad it could get if fundamentalist terror is not stopped.

Battlestar Galactica, you see, is a not so loosely drawn metaphor for a universe torn apart by jihad. The show returns for its third season on the Sci Fi Channel Friday night, October 6.
    Last edited by Sci-Fi; 04 October 2006, 12:56 AM.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Pretty sure this article has spoilers for season 3... Clicked back as soon as I realised I hadn't watched what they were talking about...

Comment

Errr, link doesn't seem to be working for me.

Comment

Worked for me... Nice read.
        Doze Out...

I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sci-Fi
          Because Battlestar Galactica is not just about pointy-headed humanoids who somehow speak English fluently while wreaking havoc on the space-time continuum (no offense intended, Gene). Rather, BSG is about the world we live in today, and how bad it could get if fundamentalist terror is not stopped.

Battlestar Galactica, you see, is a not so loosely drawn metaphor for a universe torn apart by jihad. The show returns for its third season on the Sci Fi Channel Friday night, October 6.
          Well doesn't that just figure. An Israeli newspaper completely misses the point about military occupation and oppression of another people

Disclaimer: I didn't read the article, because I've been avoiding S3 spoilers like the plague. I base this solely on the exerpt posted here.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid

Disclaimer: I didn't read the article, because I've been avoiding S3 spoilers like the plague. I base this solely on the exerpt posted here.
            It really isn't a spoiler (major or minor), although the author places a spoiler warning for one paragraph. The webisodes seem more in depth and spoilerish in comparison.

Originally posted by PraetorianX
            Errr, link doesn't seem to be working for me.
            For some reason, links from that part of the world are extremely slow or unavailable at times. Other Israel websites carrying the article are just as slow.
            Jewsweek
            Last edited by Sci-Fi; 04 October 2006, 11:58 AM.
            It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Sci-Fi

Click on the link to read the entire article. Beware of Spoilers

By Brian Blum
              October 3, 2006

I have long been a big fan of science fiction literature. My favorite first authors were Ray Bradbury, Robert Heinlein, Ira Levin and Isaac Asimov, and despite the fact my reading routine has expanded somewhat in the intervening years, my interest in alien societies and their interaction with human beings has not waned.

On TV and the big screen, I'm just as much a sci-fi fan. From Star Trek to Star Wars, The X-Files, Planet of the Apes, three Matrix movies, several versions of Dune, plus all of the Terminators (and a few too many of now Governor Schwarzenegger's less notable action flicks), I've seen more than my share.

But I wasn't prepared for what I think is clearly the most compelling sci-fi series made yet: Battlestar Galactica.

With respect, trek was about the world we live in, and dealt with prejudice - too not see that is a bit myopic.

Comment

Originally posted by Prior3535
                With respect, trek was about the world we live in, and dealt with prejudice - too not see that is a bit myopic.
                With respect.... Trek wasn't the world we lived in, it was Roddenbery's wish for how he thought the world might turn out. I've written entire academic papers about how it's not a very pretty world to me. Not that i'd want to live in Battlestar's world either

I have noticed that you have been dropping Trek references in a lot of your posts and I might suggest that you take BSG on it's own terms and not on whatever you precieve it to be or not to be in relation to an unrelated television franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                  I have noticed that you have been dropping Trek references in a lot of your posts and I might suggest that you take BSG on it's own terms and not on whatever you precieve it to be or not to be in relation to an unrelated television franchise.
                  Nicely put, Major, my sentiments exactly.....

Spoiler:
                  "I laid out the cabin today. It's gonna have an easterly view. Should see the light that we get here when the sun comes from behind those mountains! It's almost heavenly. It reminds me of you."
                  ---Bill Adama

Comment

Funny, I thought this Occupation arc was about ordinary people driven to desperate measures in order to fight for freedom.

Maybe the author of this article should be told that the occupying force (the Cylons) were the instigators of a nuclear holocaust against the occupied (the Fleet) and the occupied are just trying to live their lives under truly horrifying conditions. Oh, wait. That would mean maybe taking a good hard look in the mirror.

So, is this author rooting for the Cylons or what?

Comment

I don’t think the article is pro occupation, its anti fundamentalism which includes a lot of the Jews in Israel as well as the jihadists. There are a lot of secular Jews in Israel that are against the occupation/mistreatment of the Palestinians.

Comment

Working...
                      X