This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This better not mess up BSG.

But two year deal? ahaha Like it will live that long.

Comment

The captain doesn't explain the show either.
      Laura IS the president.
      And they already found Kobol.
      And the 13th colony is Earth.

Comment

From Now Playing Magazine:

Best of 2005: TV - Battlestar Galactica: “Pegasus”

Cindy White
        Wednesday, 21 December 2005

Click on the link to read the entire article.

Who could have predicted that a science-fiction series based on a short-lived Star Wars knockoff from the late ’70s would become one of the best dramas on television? Yet this Galactica’s deft combination of complex characters, thrilling action and thought-provoking storylines has launched the show to the top, in quality if not in ratings. And no episode has more skillfully showcased all of these elements than the mid-second-season finale.

With the introduction of the Battlestar Pegasus (a remnant from the original series) and its iron-fisted commander, Admiral Helena Cain (Michelle Forbes), the writers have raised the stakes physically, psychologically and spiritually. After this episode, nothing will be the same for any of the characters.

Fortunately, Galactica will be back in January to pick up where “Pegasus” left off. But in the meantime, fans are left to ponder lofty concepts like morality, justice, human (and Cylon) rights and the existence of the soul. It would be ambitious territory for any television series, let alone one set in outer space. (Sci Fi Channel)

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

DigitalBits Reviews BSG Season 2.0

Battlestar Galactica
          Season 2.0 - 2005 (2005) - The SciFi Channel (Universal)

Program Rating: A

Disc Ratings (Video/Audio/Extras): B+/B/B-

DVD review by Bill Hunt, editor of The Digital Bits
          12/20/05

Lengthly review, but worth the read. Click on the link to read the review.

Some excerpts:

Season 2.0 picks up literally moments after the end of the first season's cliff-hanger ending, and manages to keep you on the edge of your seat for most of its ten episodes, skillfully weaving the series' complex story threads and character developments into genuinely gripping drama, all while managing to introduce new story elements and conflicts along the way. In the ten episodes included on this DVD release (which represent the first half of the show's sophomore season), you'll learn whether Adama survived or not. You'll watch as Colonel Tigh, in Adama's absence, makes just about every bad decision he could possibly make, throwing the fleet into chaos. Apollo, Roslin and Starbuck will each face more difficult personal choices, further testing their loyalties and faith in the things they've come to believe in. Helo and Tyrol will have to deal with the fact that they each love Boomer, who they now know is an enemy agent. You'll learn more about the Cylons' nefarious plans for Humanity, and the identities of at least two more of their agents. Surprising truths will be revealed about Baltar and the nature of his visions of (and relationship with) Number Six as well. And the crew of the Galactica will be stunned by the arrival of unexpected reinforcements against the Cylons, which may herald the fleet's salvation... or its destruction.

One of the things I most love about this new Battlestar Galactica, is the way it's reinvented the genre of TV science fiction. You'll notice that nowhere in the previous two paragraphs have I mentioned time travel or dilithium crystals or warp drives. Not to knock on other sci-fi franchises, because I've thoroughly enjoyed them in the past, but this is not a show about futuristic technology and convoluted, high-concept plot twists. This Battlestar is, first and foremost, driven by its characters. They are all flawed people in their way, but they're very human and they're exceptionally well written and acted. Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnell continue to set a high standard in terms of the acting quality, but virtually the entire supporting cast has raised their performances as well. What's interesting to me here is the way that the personal conflicts tend to fuel or play into the show's larger conflicts. For example, we often see the crew of the Galactica, and the rest of the citizens of its fleet, fighting with one another and doubting each other and back-biting and second-guessing and even killing one another... and it's exactly these things that the Cylons (including Six) use to justify trying to wipe Humans out. Later, when the actions of Adama and his people are questioned by a superior military officer, you realize that she's absolutely right in which she's saying. While the things that the Galactica's crew have done were necessary (and seemed right) at the time, were these people still members of a larger military service, a lot of them would probably face charges of dereliction of duty or even treason.

I also really like the way that series creator Ron Moore and his writers raise real and difficult issues - something great science fiction has always managed to do - usually without you realizing that they're even doing it. A given episode is never about a single issue, but in the course of 42 minutes, the characters have often had to struggle with problems that are greatly troubling and all too real. For example, as a military officer, how do you respond when you've been ordered to do something you know to be wrong or morally questionable? How far do you (or can you) go in the name of trying to save your people, before you become as bad as your enemy? As a member of a free society, where do your responsibilities lie? When is it okay to break the law or disobey authority? Is it ever okay to torture? It's interesting that of all the shows on television today, Battlestar is the one that's most unafraid to consider these issues, given the current and very real problems we face in the world today. This series dares to consider religious issues too. While the Humans on this series worship multiple gods, the Cylons feel justified in their actions because they believe they've been divinely ordained by the one TRUE god. We see the strength and resolve and solace people find in religious faith, but also see how they can be manipulated with their faith, and see the kinds of terrible deeds some with extreme beliefs are able to justify in the name of that faith. Thankfully, Battlestar is never preachy. It rightly treats these issues as complex, and seldom shows bias or takes a stand on any of these issues. It simply raises interesting questions and dilemmas, and makes you think about them as the characters themselves struggle with them.

To be fair, there are a couple of weaker episodes in this set - episodes that just don't stand up to the quality and dramatic tension of the rest of the season thus far. Many of the series' various on-going story elements come to a boil in the season's seventh episode, Home (Part 2), and so the two episodes that follow it (Final Cut and Flight of the Phoenix) feel somewhat narratively disconnected from the rest of the season (although both episodes still contain a number of great character moments). But this batch of episodes ends very well indeed, with a surprisingly strong mid-season cliff-hanger (Pegasus), than manages to both serve as an homage to the original Battlestar TV series, and also to super-charge the show's dramatic energy and direction for the upcoming remainder of the season (which is set to begin airing on The SciFi Channel in January). You'll be happy to learn that SciFi has recently picked up Battlestar Galactica for a third season as well, so the adventure continues.

Comment

Originally posted by Oreo
            But two year deal? ahaha Like it will live that long.
            Them's be fightin' words...

Comment

cool

Comment

Unfortunately, it is often the case that a bunch of "me too" projects really waters down the quality overall. I hope that because RDM is still a principal in the NBC projects that BSG will not suffer. But remember what happened to the quality of "Hill St. Blues" when Stephen Bochco started work on "NYPD Blue"
                Freedom is Slavery. Spending is Stimulus. Hope is Change

Comment

That's a deleted scene, not a spoiler.

Comment

Time Magazine's Best of 2005: Television

CBS makes our television critic's list this year with How I Met Your Mother

By JAMES PONIEWOZIK
                    Friday, Dec. 16, 2005

-1-
                    Battlestar Galactica
                    (Sci Fi)

Most of you probably think this entry has got to be a joke. The rest of you have actually watched the show. Adapted from a cheesy '70s Star Wars clone of the same name, Galactica (returning in January) is a ripping sci-fi allegory of the war on terror, complete with religious fundamentalists (here, genocidal robots called Cylons), sleeper cells, civil-liberties crackdowns and even a prisoner-torture scandal. The basic-cable budget sometimes shows in the production, but the writing and performances are first-class, especially Edward James Olmos as the noble but authoritarian commander in charge of saving the last remnants of humanity. Laugh if you want, but this story of enemies within is dead serious, and seriously good.

Click on the link to view the rest of the list.

Comment

Well that hardly surprises me. It is the best show on television. Although I'd have comments to make on the rest of the list, but this isn't the appropriate forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Sci-Fi
                        Time Magazine's Best of 2005: Television

CBS makes our television critic's list this year with How I Met Your Mother

By JAMES PONIEWOZIK
                        Friday, Dec. 16, 2005

-1-
                        Battlestar Galactica
                        (Sci Fi)

Most of you probably think this entry has got to be a joke. The rest of you have actually watched the show. Adapted from a cheesy '70s Star Wars clone of the same name, Galactica (returning in January) is a ripping sci-fi allegory of the war on terror, complete with religious fundamentalists (here, genocidal robots called Cylons), sleeper cells, civil-liberties crackdowns and even a prisoner-torture scandal. The basic-cable budget sometimes shows in the production, but the writing and performances are first-class, especially Edward James Olmos as the noble but authoritarian commander in charge of saving the last remnants of humanity. Laugh if you want, but this story of enemies within is dead serious, and seriously good.

Click on the link to view the rest of the list.

Cool article. Although I love the original, I'm glad that Uni. made changes to the show and stayed away from that pesky past lawsuit from 1978.

Comment

Just saw this on Digg and downloaded it. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet as I am in the middle of watching Serenity with commentary. I did skim through it and it looks to contain some new stuff.

iTunes URL: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...n?id=110899839

Comment

That's a pile of bull. It's not free, in order to download it you have to have an iTunes Music Store account. You can't simply register, you have to have a credit card (which is step 2, Step 1 is putting your e-mail, password, and all that good stuff), and it is required.
                            sigpic

Comment

Just watched it, and it is a very good recap of the story so far. It does kinda hint at the future, and it's safe to say it leaves you wanting more.

And I think someone is a little cranky. And where exactly is money being spent to get this video? That's right...it's FREE.

Comment

Bah! Its not available in the Australian iTunes store.
                                Are we misssing out on anything good?

Comment

Working...
                                X