Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a great podcast, I was laughing out loud during parts of it. Some nice spoilers in it too.
    I fear that this can only end one way.

Comment

From MarketWire:

Zoic Studios Helps Resurrect a Bigger, Bolder "Battlestar Galactica"

New Episodes Feature Epic, Feature-Quality Spectacular Effects

PRESS RELEASE

CULVER CITY, CA -- (MARKET WIRE) -- 01/09/2006 -- For the January 13th episode of "Battlestar Galactica," entitled "Resurrection Ship, Part 2," visual effects company Zoic Studios worked on a scale greater than anything previously imagined for the small screen. Choreographing and executing all the effects for the episode, Zoic used a combination of live action greenscreen and CG animation to create a uniquely memorable viewing experience. Audiences can enjoy the cinematic proportion of the effects in this thrilling episode, which airs on SCI FI Channel on Friday, the 13th at 10pm et/pt.

"The shots we envisioned for the battle were epic," says Zoic CG Supervisor Chris Zapara. "There are very large ships in a close range brawl, with the audience in the middle of the mayhem. We have mile-long spacecraft sharing the screen with thousands of fighters, missiles and salvos, all of which need to interact. As a counterpoint, we see the same battle from far away through the eyes of a dying pilot. We have to show the same events, but without the scale reference, and have it evoke a very different emotion."

Although effects like these may have been seen before on the big screen, Zoic believes that what they have created with "Resurrection Ship, Part 2" is bigger and bolder than ever presented on television. Life is messy; battles especially so. Zoic Studios did their best to ensure that their shots reflected a more accurate cosmic chaos: one with dust floating, chunks flying and light spilling every which way.

Battlestar Galactica is the gripping saga of humanity's last remnants and their struggle to find a new home while fleeing from their deadly Cylon enemies. Redefining the space opera with its gritty realism, Galactica has distinguished itself by the intensity and present day relevance of its stories and the command performances of its ensemble cast. The series confronts everything from religion, politics and sex, to what it really means to be "human."

"This show, though it has always had great visual effects, is ultimately about the characters and their plight," says Zapara. "This battle is a desperate, all-out attempt to stop the Cylon fleet, and our shots show just how desperate a decision it is. I'm all for spectacle, and I think we certainly achieved that, but in context I feel our work really emphasizes the emotional impact of the story."

About Zoic Studios:

Zoic Studios is a leader in producing visual effects and CG animation for commercials, feature films and episodic television. Built on a foundation that allows maximum flexibility and creative product for its clients, Zoic Studios continues to focus on its own visual evolution. www.zoicstudios.com.

Jessie Nagel
      @ Hype 323.938.8363 x102
      Email Contact

SOURCE: Zoic Studios

Lp
      It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

Awesome, can't wait
        Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

I just read on the site below that ten has bought the next season of BSG and will air it in Feb or March. It is good news and hopefuly they will give it better treatment than they did with season 1.

Mind you, this is so late we will probably be able to purchase the US DVD to watch the finale before it screens here (I had the UK DVD last time before the finale!)

http://www.lucylawless.info/latestne...from=&ucat=38&

Comment

Is there anyone out there with a "Good" version of the Sci Fi Battlestar Galactica insider video?
            That other thumbnail version of the vid absolutely sucks for quality. I saw there was a MUCH better quality video of the Stargate SG1 insider. Any other links please?

Comment

Look for a torrent version of it... So much better quality...

Comment

They will only air it after they run out of reality TV shows

Comment

they do good work.
                  Thanks!
                  Jordan

my page
                  My LJ
                  From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

I have a little bit more respect for Channel 10 than I have for Channel 9... I'm just glad that Ch 9 didn't buy BSG in the first place.
                    sigpic
                    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

From TV Guide, The Watercooler:

TV Guide on Sci-Fi Friday

G.J. Donnelly and Michael Peck

Click on the link to read about the rest of the shows reviewed.

Stargate SG-1
                      I can't remember anything so poignant on SG-1 as Sam doing the puzzle with youthful Orlin (Cameron Bright) in the hospital (mental facility?). The poor sod sacrificed his memory to help curb the Ori plague, and for what? To end up in a rec room at Bellevue. My gut told me Orlin's fate would be sad, but the way it played out was especially moving. Indeed, the second half of the "Four Horseman" story arc was one of the best and most touching stories of the entire SG-1 saga. Everyone had a chance to shine in scenes of wit, courage and compassion. Not many actors can do righteousness as well as Louis Gossett Jr., but Christopher Judge comes close. Listening to Gerak and Teal'c roar imperiously at each other before the Jaffa council was a blast and a half. Come to think of it, Gerak was a blast — or rather, a burst — when he erupted into flames for saving Landry and the other plague victims. But he died a free man, so nerts to you, Ori. The Mitchell-Jackson repartee at the expense of the captured Prior (Mitchell called him "a dark-side encyclopedia salesman") was terrific, and the cameo from Don S. Davis' General Hammond was another nice touch. However, Bright's performance as Orlin was the ace. A less-gifted actor would have turned the adolescent Ancient's subdued personality into something wooden or one-dimensional, but Bright communicated wisdom and loss beyond his years. Along with the equally terrific Amanda Tapping, the lad turned a great episode into a classic. — G.J. Donnelly

Stargate Atlantis
                      Does any actor have more fun with a role than David Hewlett? This week an injection of the Wraith enzyme turned McKay into the Neurotic with the Golden Arm. Determined to get a hold of the crystals to access the Stargate (and get reinforcements to rescue Sheppard and Co.), McKay shoots the enzyme into his arm and turns into Superwhiner, tossing aside the meatheads Ford assigned to guard him with the greatest of ease ("That's what happens when you back a brilliant scientist into a corner!"). Of course, highs must come down, and Big Rodney is in for a mighty fall when he enters withdrawal. Delirious with paranoia, he accuses Beckett of being jealous of his genius and demands that everyone stop whispering so loudly. "I feel not unlike the priest in the Exorcist," the Scottish doc tells Weir. Back aboard the Hive ship, this sharp-eyed viewer couldn't help but notice that many of the Wraiths had dreads, though none looked anywhere near as cool as Ronon. Despite this and a minor subplot involving a planted prisoner, Sheppard's efforts to escape the Wraith vessels weren't nearly as compelling as McKay's jonesing. Still, one can hardly gripe about a story that ends with two Hive ships blowing each other to bits. — G.J. Donnelly

Battlestar Galactica
                      Everybody else as happy as I am to have this show back, in an era where sci-fi series tend to get dropped before you've even had a chance to really get to know them? Or just because your inner geek loves a genre series that's actually good? OK, just checking. My inner geek's real insecure. Anyway, here we go, getting right back into it as Galactica squares off against Pegasus and Starbuck shows up just in time to nearly get toasted by her own people. And just as quickly, we get Cain talking about how the finer points of law don't matter in a time of war. (Funny how, between this and the abuse of Cylon Boomer and the Number Six prisoner, the most politically topical series on TV is one that takes place in space, ain't it? Shhhh — don't tell the thought police.)

And the tension doesn't let up for a second, even as Cain promotes Starbuck to captain, and the writers, I'm happy to say, surprise me by avoiding the cliché of having our favorite pilot say she doesn't want it because she doesn't need no stinkin' rank. If you'll permit me to continue to gush, it's also a testament to this show that they get a genuine stomach turn out of me as Tigh hears the tale of Cain stripping the civilian fleet of its parts and talent, and ordering the deaths of two families in the process. All of which brings us to Cain and Adama essentially taking out hits on one another. And there we stop for the week. First word that came to mind: cliff-hanger. OK, that was the second one, and it wasn't a surprise since this episode did, after all, have "Part 1" in its title. First real word that came to mind: Damn. — Michael Peck

Comment

http://www.trektoday.com/news/100106_01.shtml

Michelle Forbes almost didn't accept a role on Battlestar Galactica for the same reason she turned one down on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: "It was, again, about wanting variety in my career."

Speaking to TV Zone (via The Great Link). Forbes said that she was very impressed by recent BSG episode "Resurrection Ship" when she saw it, calling it "a fine example of sophisticated storytelling and I was thoroughly impressed when I watched my copy of the episode."
                        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                        love Torri

Comment

From MediaLife:

Rumble in space: 'Battlestar Galactica'

Premiere of critics' favorite down 16 percent

(NOTE: *Updated* BSG earned a 2.1 overall rating.)

By Abigail Azote
                          Jan 11, 2006

“Battlestar Galactica” remains one of Sci Fi Channel’s most-watched programs and a favorite among critics as well. They continually praise it for its gripping drama and intelligent content.

Yet the series may be showing hints of aging, at least judging by last week's debut for the second half of season two.

Airing Friday at 10 p.m., "Galactica” averaged 1.55 million viewers in the 18-49 demographic. Among 25-54s, where it's been particularly strong, “Galactica” averaged 1.73 million viewers.

That represents a 16 percent decline for both demos as compared to the debut of the first half of season two, which began in July. The declines are even steeper compared to season one’s premiere ratings, down 16 percent among 18-49s and 23 percent among 25-54s. Season one’s premiere averaged 1.9 million and 2.2 million in those demos, respectively.

Even so, last week’s performance was good enough to land “Galactica” in No. 11 among all of ad-supported cable in the 18-49 demo. Among 25-54s, it ranked No. 5. And it was up 10 percent among 18-49s from where it left off in September, when its last episode averaged 1.41 million viewers. Among 25-54s it was up 7 percent from the last original episode’s 1.61 million.

Whether the show is actually weakening is unclear. It could well be that July's premiere did better because it was in the summer, when competition from broadcast networks is lighter. Another factor could be the three-month hiatus since the last episode. Viewers tend to straggle back after such long layoffs.

What has not cooled is the adoration of critics. “Galactica” made many publications’ list of top programs for 2005, including the Chicago Tribune’s. Newsday called it “TV’s most provocative drama.” And last Sunday the American Film Institute named it one of the 10 best TV shows in 2005.

“It’s a complex show, dense and well executed. It has nicely done what a lot of classic cult series have done—create a universe of its own,” observes Robert Thompson, director of Syracuse University’s Center for the Study of Popular Television.

Meanwhile, in other cable ratings for the week ended Jan. 1:

Top five networks in primetime (18-49s): TNT, USA, TBS, Spike, Lifetime

Top five networks in primetime (total viewers): TNT, USA, TBS, Nick at Nite, Lifetime

Top movie (18-49s): TNT’s “Remember the Titans” (Sunday 8 p.m.) 1.75 million

Top sporting event (total viewers): USA’s WWE Entertainment (Monday 10 p.m.) 4.71 million

Shows making the top 10 among 18-34s, 18-49s and 25-54s: MTV’s “Real World/Road Rules: The Gauntlet II” (Monday 10 p.m.); USA’s “WWE Entertainment” (Monday, 9 & 10 p.m.)

Show on the rise: “Real World/Road Rules: Gauntlet II,” MTV, Monday 10 p.m. The MTV reality show free-for-all promised tougher challenges but delivered two elimination rounds already where contestants opted to pretty much just give up. But that has not kept the show from being popular, ranking No. 1 among 18-34s this week. The show averaged more than 2 million viewers in the demo, up 78 percent from the week prior.

Show on the decline: “Monk,” USA, various times. The USA original series is coming back with new episodes next week, and just in time. The show’s ratings dipped this week, with the highest-rated repeat averaging 2.8 million viewers. That’s down 26 percent from the previous week’s highest-rated show.

Last edited by Sci-Fi; 11 January 2006, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Shame the ratings have gone down a little bit, thogh I suspect as the article stated it has to do with the timing of the premiere. Hopefully the critical raving will entice more people to check it out. One thing that's kinda hard bout getting hooked on BSG is that you almost *have* to go back and watch all the previous episodes to havea clue whats going on. It's not a series you can comfortably jump right into the middle of
                            ...but now I know
                            That twenty centuries of stony sleep
                            Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
                            And what rough beast, its hour come 'round at last,
                            Slouches toward Bethlehem to be born?

Comment

Well to be fair, the 2.2 rating, which it seems is what BSG did receive, was up from the 2.0 of Pegasus, and up in the key demos.

A 2.2 for Sci Fi isn't a bad rating.

Also, there is no mention of SG-1 and Atlantis, so it's obvious that BSG did better than both those shows.

It's just down from the 2.6 of the season 2 premiere, but if everyone remembers back that far, the next week the show dropped to a 2.0.

Did more people tune into the first half hour, but didn't stay to watch the rest of the episode?

This week's episode will be key.

Comment

Pick up this week's TV Guide and collect all 16 Exclusive SCI FI Friday Fan Cards, on newsstands today.

Also, enter to win a video iPod with an entire episode of Battlestar Galactica at http://www.tvguide.com/scifri.

Comment

Working...
                                X