• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From The Philadelphia Inquirer:

Resolved: See more TV

by Ellen Gray
    Wed, Jan. 04, 2006

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA. 10 p.m. Friday, Sci Fi Channel.

I WOULDN'T recommend this to everyone, but one of my New Year's resolutions is to watch a bit more television.

Specifically, I'm thinking of the Sci Fi Channel's "Battlestar Galactica," currently tops on my list of Series That Got Away.

It returns Friday for what they're calling its "winter premiere" with a two-part episode that I actually sort of understood, thanks to the half-hour premiere Sci Fi aired Monday - still available for free on Apple's iTunes - and some Googling of episode guides.

I haven't had to work this hard since I started watching "The X-Files" toward the end of its first season, and I'm still not sure how I'll fit in one more Friday night series around CBS' "Numbers" and NBC's new drama "Book of Daniel," but I'm going to try.

If my job didn't involve watching the pilots for dozens of new shows, I'd probably never know about most of the stuff I'm missing most weeks, even as my DVR and I try to keep up with all the shows I'm actually watching.

But it does, and I do, which is why I've been feeling guilty about missing so much of "Battlestar," which is the kind of sci-fi-for-grown-ups I've always claimed to enjoy.

The grown-ups are definitely one of the draws in "Resurrection Ship," which finds Cmdr. Adama (Edward James Olmos) and President Roslin (Mary McDonnell) uniting against Adm. Cain (Michelle Forbes), who's rapidly shaping up as an uncommon enemy, one who in her own way could be as dangerous to the fleet's future as the robotic Cylons, which are basically humanity's creation run amok.

And, yes, at some point there's a smooch.

Did I mention that Roslin is supposedly still dying of breast cancer?

While I'm not crazy about contemplating a future in which we're capable of creating a race of creatures that then turn on us but still apparently can't cure cancer, McDonnell's performance does help ground "Battlestar."

Like all the best science fiction, it's ultimately about what it means to be human.

Being only human myself, I haven't yet figured out how to both have a life and be the watching/writing/podcasting entity that 21st century TV criticism seems to demand - Cylon technology, perhaps? - so I'm not sure how many of my Series That Got Away I'll be reconnecting with in 2006.

Click on the link to read the rest of the article.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

Thanks for that good read
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

From The Kansas City Star:

Dancing, laughing and loving with stars

by AARON BARNHART
        Wed, Jan. 04, 2006

Click on the link to read about other shows.

Assuming your kids didn’t disconnect the cable box to make way for the Xbox 360 they got for Christmas — and assuming they’ll even think about stopping their monthlong game-a-thon to let you watch TV — here are the highlights and lowlights of the new slate of programs coming our way in January.

“Battlestar Galactica” (9 p.m. Friday, SciFi). What a surprise to follow the continuing transformation of a middling ’70s show into a first-rate science fiction series. As its second season resumes, we find the crews of the Galactica and Pegasus still trying to decide whom they hate more, each other or their alleged enemy, the Cylons. And if the post-9/11 allusions haven’t breached your consciousness yet, try this: The Cylons are living among them. For those who care, the two “Stargates” also return to SciFi on Friday (“SG-1” at 7 and “Atlantis” at 8 ).

“Monk” (Jan. 13, USA). The executives at USA can’t stop putting this show on the schedule, then taking it off again, then putting it back on, then taking it off … it’s like they’re a bunch of obsessive-compulsive schedulers over there.

“24” (Jan. 15 and 16 on Fox 4). If you’re an ultra-devoted fan of this show and of the brilliant Bob Odenkirk-David Cross series “Mr. Show” that aired on HBO in the mid-1990s, you’ll be missing sleep this week. That’s because, in addition to the first four hours of the new season of “24,” airing over two nights on Fox, the complete “Mr. Show” is being released on DVD on Tuesday, Jan. 17. Perhaps it’s a coincidence, but the most prominent “Mr. Show” alum on TV right now is Mary Lynn Rajskub, who plays “24’s” Chloe, the techno-savant with a bad attitude.

Comment

Thanks, Sci-Fi!
          It's great to read of all the deserved critical acclaim for BSG.
          Just a little, tiny part of me worries about backlash, though I'm trying to keep that way in the back of my mind whilst I continue citing these great reviews when preaching to the unconverted.

Comment

I looked around Hasbro's website and found the stargate toys displayed. Don't have the site in front of me but there was a death glider toy picture and a stargate mentioned I think.

Comment

I hate Hasbro. Their marketing and a lot of their toys suck. I pray Sideshow or some other smaller company decides to get license to this and make some actual figures worth getting, not micromachines without any detail....

Comment

From Scripps Howard News Service:

Rebellious Starbuck in for another rough ride

By DAVE MASON
                04-JAN-06

Click on the link to read the entire article. Some excerpts:

Katee Sackhoff says she often feels the urge to strangle her "Battlestar Galactica" character _ the rebellious, childish Starbuck.

"Many, many times," Sackhoff said in a phone interview from Los Angeles. "I think it's way (Kara 'Starbuck' Thrace) acts toward people. I think, 'Will you just stop kidding around and tell him (Lee "Apollo" Adama, played by Jamie Barber) that you love him?' It's the way she is with Colonel Tigh (Michael Hogan), and the way she picks on the other pilots. Tough love can only go so far. I think, 'Will someone please hit her?' And usually someone is glad to.

"I have fans come up to me and say, 'I hate her.' And I say, 'That's good. You should love or hate a character,' " Sackhoff said. "But there are moments of deep sadness for her. Every time she takes a step forward, circumstances make her take a step back."

Sackhoff admires the pilot she plays on "Battlestar Galactica" for being a strong survivor who never breaks her word. "And I love her honesty."

Starbuck's strength is put to a test when "Galactica" returns with new episodes at 10 p.m. (ET/PT) Friday on Sci Fi.

Sackhoff said her Starbuck character has a sense of bravado that masks her insecurity, traits that she believes existed in the first Starbuck in the original "Battlestar," as played by Dirk Benedict. She sees her Starbuck as a more flawed character. An upcoming episode, "Scar," will explore Starbuck further.

"It's a complete departure from whom she's been for two seasons," Sackhoff said. "I went to (executive producers) Ron Moore and David Eick and said, 'I don't get it. I don't like it.' I thought, 'What happened to my character? She's drinking all the time.'

Comment

Originally posted by Sci-Fi
                  "It's a complete departure from whom she's been for two seasons," Sackhoff said. "I went to (executive producers) Ron Moore and David Eick and said, 'I don't get it. I don't like it.' I thought, 'What happened to my character? She's drinking all the time.'

Oh cool, now she and Tigh can bond over their common alcoholism. I'm so looking forward to that.
                  "May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Susan Ivanova

"The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest. " - Citizen G'Kar

"I will see you again, in the place where no shadows fall." - Delenn

Comment

It will be interesting to see how/why Starbuck changes in the second part of this season. Only a few days to go

Comment

President Roslin gets tough on 'Battlestar Galactica'

Just when things look grimmest for the rag-tag “Battlestar Galactica” fleet, well, they get grimmer.

In the Friday episode of the stellar space drama, which kicks off the second half of the second “Battlestar” season, Commander Adama and President Roslin discuss severe options regarding Adm. Cain, Adama’s hard-headed new superior. Wait, President Roslin — the formerly mild-mannered education secretary — talking about taking tough action against the top military leader, even as the collection of beat-up ships and fractious crews known as the Colonial fleet prepares to take on its biggest Cylon target yet?

Full story:
                      http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....ent_rosli.html
                      GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                      The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                      Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

thx for that link Darren... twas very interestin' to read... gettin' more and more excited bout the later half of S2... sounds like lots of things are gonna be happenin'
                        sigpic

Comment

From Newsday:

'Battlestar' isn't alien to our civilization

BY DIANE WERTS
                          January 6, 2006

Click on the link to read the entire article.

Life is so messy. It gets messier by the month, more complicated, chaotic, morally ambiguous. Yet science fiction often hits TV in tidy form. Settings are sparkling, people never interrupt each other, epic conflicts neatly fit a flow chart. That may suit fantasy action but hardly genuine human drama, forever churning with fuming exchanges, mixed emotions and clashing values.

This passionate mix is what "Battlestar Galactica" continues to deliver in breathtaking fashion as its second season resumes on Sci Fi tonight. While desperately fleeing a race of undercover androids who've nuked the known universe, space-age humans are trying to re-create civilization, with all its fiery political discord and thorny ethical quandaries. The ideals of freedom stumble over security needs which collide with dwindling resources and frayed nerves in this underrated adult odyssey from producer-writer Ronald D. Moore. It's elegantly grimy and exquisitely thought-provoking in equal measure.

Last fall's cliffhanger discovery by the Galactica survivors of a previously unknown second refugee battlestar added fresh trust dilemmas to the already agitated mix of political rivals, gonzo soldiers and ordinary folks in their ragtag fleet of society's remains. Galactica's principled commander Adama (Edward James Olmos) faced a shooting match with the new Pegasus ship's ruthless admiral (Michelle Forbes) over whose rules and expedient exceptions would trump the other guy's - especially when it comes to the soulful android Cylons, whom viewers have come to realize may be more "human" than the people who spit at them.

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA. TV's most provocative drama is back on track in a two-part return strutting its exhilarating fusion of ethics, action and spirituality. Tonight at 10 on Sci Fi.

Comment

Now Playing magazine has started up their weekly Galactica reviews again. First up, Resurrection Ship, Part 1:

http://www.nowplayingmag.com/content/view/2884/47/

They like it! They really, really like it!

Cool.

Comment

Thanks for this
                              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                              love Torri

Comment

Special Interviews with Battlestar Galactica's Katee Sackhoff, Commander-in-Chief's Mark-Paul Gosselaar and South Beach's Vanessa Williams, Plus News, Reviews and More

Episode 32 is, oddly enough, located at the bottom of the podcast list.

Comment

Working...
                                X