No announcement yet.

The Laura Roslin/Mary McDonnell Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys. I looove that song... I'm going out in a while, but when I get back I'll try to find it.

Well, holidays are supposed to be relaxing... I never liked holidays, they've never relaxed me, but... it's what they say I may still (please, please, please, please... I'll start praying to the lords of Kobol... anything... please!!!) not have to go... but if I do, it'll probably be Dec. 16th. *gag*

EDIT: I am so in love with you! Just found the song... I love it even more now!! Thanks. If anyone wants it...

EDIT 2: Okay... update... HAH! It seems I won't have to go visit my parents after all! (long story... I was going to use a ticket I had, but it has some restrictions regarding dates and all that, and the flights are all booked, so...) My poor mother... but, ah well, I really didn't want to go...
    Last edited by _angi_; 30 November 2006, 04:20 PM.
    Thank you Dorka, for the gorgeous sig.

Comment

Originally posted by _angi_ View Post
      Thanks guys. I looove that song... I'm going out in a while, but when I get back I'll try to find it.

Well, holidays are supposed to be relaxing... I never liked holidays, they've never relaxed me, but... it's what they say I may still (please, please, please, please... I'll start praying to the lords of Kobol... anything... please!!!) not have to go... but if I do, it'll probably be Dec. 16th. *gag*

EDIT: I am so in love with you! Just found the song... I love it even more now!! Thanks. If anyone wants it...

EDIT 2: Okay... update... HAH! It seems I won't have to go visit my parents after all! (long story... I was going to use a ticket I had, but it has some restrictions regarding dates and all that, and the flights are all booked, so...) My poor mother... but, ah well, I really didn't want to go...
      Ah, cool! See? It's not your fault you can't go. it's the airline's fault. So now you don't have to go and your mom can't get mad at YOU since it's not really your fault. There you go. *nods* I haven't really liked the holidays since I was a kid. I've always said holidays are only holidays for men and children. But honestly, once I grew up, they just got to be a chore. BUT I'm sort of looking forward to this holiday season because a) I get to send cards and presents to many of my shipper friends all over the world and I think that's really cool and b) I don't have to go to my dad's side of the family for anything. They all think I'll be at my friend's cabin for the holiday. Of course, that means I can't leave my house, unless I just go to the grocery store up the road from me because I will run into someone if I do. Murphy's Law. But that's all right. I'll be able to hang around home and be happy and silent that way anyway. And I think Snappy is starting to acknowledge me again, so if I can get back in his good graces again, maybe he'll help me write something.

Thanks to Dorka for this beautiful sig!!

Comment

Maybe if I swat Snappy hard enough at work tomorrow so I can finish reading The Forsyte Saga (long story how I got hooked on that), he'll hop over to you.

As for holidays, did I ever tell you about the time I got stuck in Pearson International overnight because an airbus from some French airline ran off the road and crashed into an airplane? Or something like that. I don't really remember what actually happened, only that I was stuck in Toronto for an extra night.

That would make a good movie, actually. Maybe I should write it.

Comment

Originally posted by sidhe View Post
          Ah, cool! See? It's not your fault you can't go. it's the airline's fault. So now you don't have to go and your mom can't get mad at YOU since it's not really your fault. There you go. *nods* I haven't really liked the holidays since I was a kid. I've always said holidays are only holidays for men and children. But honestly, once I grew up, they just got to be a chore. BUT I'm sort of looking forward to this holiday season because a) I get to send cards and presents to many of my shipper friends all over the world and I think that's really cool and b) I don't have to go to my dad's side of the family for anything. They all think I'll be at my friend's cabin for the holiday. Of course, that means I can't leave my house, unless I just go to the grocery store up the road from me because I will run into someone if I do. Murphy's Law. But that's all right. I'll be able to hang around home and be happy and silent that way anyway. And I think Snappy is starting to acknowledge me again, so if I can get back in his good graces again, maybe he'll help me write something.
          Sidhe!!! HI! Finally... it was too quiet here! *sobs* I was busying myself with some lovely, lovely A/R fanfiction...

I know... I can't believe how lucky I got... I may have to go in January, but then at least I won't have to stay a whole frakking month. So thats alright. I do love Santiago. It's a beautiful city. Aaaaand... they have Starbucks. I only liked holidays as a kid because of gifts, of course. But now, I really just find them a waste of time. Chiristmas and New Years are just normal days to me, just like any other day. And I'm happy to stay holed up in my apartment with my books and my music and my internet and thats all I need. The last two years I spent here as well, and my best friend and I had disastruous Christmas "dinners" at my place... This year he's going to visit his family, and that kind of sucks, but I don't mind staying on my own. There are still other people that'll be here over the holidays, so... I'll take a week long stupid class just before Christams and get that over with. Then I have nothing for almost two months! Well, I'm planning to start seriously looking for an internship, because right now I decided to take the time off, and wasn't really trying too hard. Murphy's Law... I'm telling you, this guy Murphy, I think he loves me... So, you're not going anywhere for the holidays either?

EDIT: OMG Katie... I loved The Forsyte Saga! One of my favorite books ever.

Comment

EDIT: OMG Katie... I loved The Forsyte Saga! One of my favorite books ever.

It's wonderful! And since I've hit the last book "To Let," I finally broke down and ordered both of the Masterpiece Theatre miniseries on DVD. They'll be here sometime next week!!

Hey, Angi, if Mary was British, or if anyone dared to try and make a new(er) version with maybe a mix of American and British actors, who do you think Mary would be suited to play? Winnifred was my favorite of the Forsyte clan and ironically, I didn't really feel Irene at all. Maybe because we never saw anything from her perspective. And Bosinney, what a tool!

It'd be a dream of mine to see Mary play Winnifred, because underneath everything, I think Winnifred was as close to being non-Forsytean as she could without going the way of the "outcast" cousins. And I loved the relationship between her and Mont. Dartie. He screws up, she takes him back and then lets him know who's in charge! And he still manages to have a little of his fun, but she still lets him know who's in charge.

I can hardly wait to read how everything plays out in the last book!

Comment

Originally posted by katie_9918 View Post
              It's wonderful! And since I've hit the last book "To Let," I finally broke down and ordered both of the Masterpiece Theatre miniseries on DVD. They'll be here sometime next week!!

Hey, Angi, if Mary was British, or if anyone dared to try and make a new(er) version with maybe a mix of American and British actors, who do you think Mary would be suited to play? Winnifred was my favorite of the Forsyte clan and ironically, I didn't really feel Irene at all. Maybe because we never saw anything from her perspective. And Bosinney, what a tool!

It'd be a dream of mine to see Mary play Winnifred, because underneath everything, I think Winnifred was as close to being non-Forsytean as she could without going the way of the "outcast" cousins. And I loved the relationship between her and Mont. Dartie. He screws up, she takes him back and then lets him know who's in charge! And he still manages to have a little of his fun, but she still lets him know who's in charge.

I can hardly wait to read how everything plays out in the last book!
              I know! It really is... I saw the miniseries a few times as well. The book, of course, as always, is much better.

Thats a good question... It would be fantastic if they made maybe a movie version of it, and to have Mary in it... *faints*. But actually, I read it years ago, from my father's collection, so I don't remember all the details on all the characters (maybe I'll read it again when I go visit... or just bring the book with me I'm not sure if he's read it... I remember getting my hands on it as soon as he bought it). But I didn't like Irene all that much either. I did, in fact like Winifred much better, I liked the way she dealt with Dartie too, and also think that she was much more... shall we say human... than the rest of the family... so I think I'd have to agree with you. Though I always want Mary to play the leading role.

Comment

Maybe if I swat Snappy hard enough at work tomorrow so I can finish reading The Forsyte Saga (long story how I got hooked on that), he'll hop over to you.

As for holidays, did I ever tell you about the time I got stuck in Pearson International overnight because an airbus from some French airline ran off the road and crashed into an airplane? Or something like that. I don't really remember what actually happened, only that I was stuck in Toronto for an extra night.

That would make a good movie, actually. Maybe I should write it.
                Ha! Yes, maybe you should write it. Once Snappy's done tormenting you about the one thing I'm reading and then the other thing you mentioned in your PM, that is.

I got stuck overnight in the port of Dover one time because, while there were ferries to and from Dover and Calais until 0200, there were no trains or busses to take me back to Cambridge. And no hotels or hostels or anyplace to stay with a bed and shower. Of course I had no way of knowing that. I got to look at some dude sleep on the bench across from me who only had a half of a toe and he kept flexing it in his sleep, like he was trying to grab something with his feet. That was pretty special.
                Originally posted by angi
                Sidhe!!! HI! Finally... it was too quiet here! *sobs* I was busying myself with some lovely, lovely A/R fanfiction...

I know... I can't believe how lucky I got... I may have to go in January, but then at least I won't have to stay a whole frakking month. So thats alright. I do love Santiago. It's a beautiful city. Aaaaand... they have Starbucks. I only liked holidays as a kid because of gifts, of course. But now, I really just find them a waste of time. Chiristmas and New Years are just normal days to me, just like any other day. And I'm happy to stay holed up in my apartment with my books and my music and my internet and thats all I need. The last two years I spent here as well, and my best friend and I had disastruous Christmas "dinners" at my place... This year he's going to visit his family, and that kind of sucks, but I don't mind staying on my own. There are still other people that'll be here over the holidays, so... I'll take a week long stupid class just before Christams and get that over with. Then I have nothing for almost two months! Well, I'm planning to start seriously looking for an internship, because right now I decided to take the time off, and wasn't really trying too hard. Murphy's Law... I'm telling you, this guy Murphy, I think he loves me... So, you're not going anywhere for the holidays either?
                That's awesome. And I'm actually really looking forward to staying holed up in my house for the better part of a week. It's been a really long time since I was able to do that. And no, I don't have to go anywhere for the holidays anyway (unless I visit my dad but I've never done that for Christmas--I simply refuse) because with the exception of dad, my whole frakking family is here. Most of the time it's fine but the holidays, people start having tug of wars with me. I hate it. So this year I'm not playing. I'll do the fun stuff with my mom's family, which is the side I prefer, and dad's side think I'll be gone, Mom and stepdad WILL be gone for the rest of xmas week, and mom's mom thinks I'll have to go back to work. I'll have at least 4 days of total, uninterrupted bliss.

Oh, and Mary rules.

Comment

Mary does rule. She'd make an absolutely wonderful Winnifred Forsyte Dartie. Just what was it about Irene that turned a family against each other anyway? She supposedly had a great presence about her, but I'm still pissed that old Jolyon threw over his own nephew for the woman who cheated on him.

And speaking of Mary, is there going to be more Q&A sessions with her, or is her part of it done? I wasn't satisfied with her answers about Laura's personal life! Laura needs a personal life, now that she seems to have this President thing down pat.

Edit: Sid, was that Dover, Delaware? There are too many Dovers in this country. And don't even get me started on Springfield. "I was in Springfield for the day." GAH! Dover, Delaware ain't that far from me. Relatively speaking. I'm in the City of FairWeather Love myself.

Comment

Mary does rule. She'd make an absolutely wonderful Winnifred Forsyte Dartie. Just what was it about Irene that turned a family against each other anyway? She supposedly had a great presence about her, but I'm still pissed that old Jolyon threw over his own nephew for the woman who cheated on him.

And speaking of Mary, is there going to be more Q&A sessions with her, or is her part of it done? I wasn't satisfied with her answers about Laura's personal life! Laura needs a personal life, now that she seems to have this President thing down pat.

Edit: Sid, was that Dover, Delaware? There are too many Dovers in this country. And don't even get me started on Springfield. "I was in Springfield for the day." GAH! Dover, Delaware ain't that far from me. Relatively speaking. I'm in the City of FairWeather Love myself.
                    I've never read The Forsyte thing. Maybe I should look into that!

I have no idea if Mary has any more Q&A stuff to do, but I doubt it. She's already had 6 parts. I hope she has more, but I somehow doubt they will. Maybe we'll get EJO next, though! Squee!!

And it was Dover, England, actually. I was studying in Cambridge and had gone to France via the ferry to Calais with a friend for the weekend. We couldn't afford tickets for the Chunnel so we did the ferry since it was pretty. But no one told us we'd better get back before 9.00 pm or we'd be stuck in Dover with no place to stay. *headdesk* or should I say *headbenchwithnastyhalftoe*

Comment

Sidhe, I really recommend the book. That and Edward Rutherfurd's "London", as I mentioned to you once. Also, I'm not usually into witchcraft and that kind of thing, but I do have to admit that I just love Anne Rice... my favorite is "The Witching Hour". Those three are some of my favorite books of all time.

I don't see whats so great about Irene either. I thought she was a bit of a pain, actually. And boring. I don't usually like those sorts of "heroines". Like in Madame Bovary... I didn't like her that much either, though I like the book. I always like the people that we're not supposed to like... I like the bad guys. There are exceptions, of course.

I'd so love it if Mary went on to do a million more Q&A sessions... but I doubt there'll be more, too. I don't know... at the end of part 5, for example, she turned back to the computer as if to read the next question before they cut it. But in part 6 there was none of that, she just kept looking at the camera.

Comment

Sidhe, I really recommend the book. That and Edward Rutherfurd's "London", as I mentioned to you once. Also, I'm not usually into witchcraft and that kind of thing, but I do have to admit that I just love Anne Rice... my favorite is "The Witching Hour". Those three are some of my favorite books of all time.

I don't see whats so great about Irene either. I thought she was a bit of a pain, actually. And boring. I don't usually like those sorts of "heroines". Like in Madame Bovary... I didn't like her that much either, though I like the book. I always like the people that we're not supposed to like... I like the bad guys. There are exceptions, of course.

I'd so love it if Mary went on to do a million more Q&A sessions... but I doubt there'll be more, too. I don't know... at the end of part 5, for example, she turned back to the computer as if to read the next question before they cut it. But in part 6 there was none of that, she just kept looking at the camera.
                        It's funny...I love witchy books but I never could get into Anne Rice's witch books. I read most of her vampire books and loved those, though. My favorite was Memnoch the Devil and whichever one it was where Marius was created. I've forgotten. Maybe it was in Memnoch.

I read somewhere that Mary is working on making a 1-woman stage adaptation of Are You Somebody by Nuala o'Faolain. I hope that works out and that I can get a ticket! If she does it in NYC, then I could get one of my best friends to go with me. She lives in RI and goes to NYC every chance she gets. She could score tix...Anyway, that was an interesting book.

EDIT: katie, you have an email.

I'm cold, so I think I'm gonna make a giant cup of hot chocolate and go to bed. Good night dears! *hugs*
                        Last edited by sidhe; 30 November 2006, 07:43 PM.

Comment

It's funny...I love witchy books but I never could get into Anne Rice's witch books. I read most of her vampire books and loved those, though. My favorite was Memnoch the Devil and whichever one it was where Marius was created. I've forgotten. Maybe it was in Memnoch.

I read somewhere that Mary is working on making a 1-woman stage adaptation of Are You Somebody by Nuala o'Faolain. I hope that works out and that I can get a ticket! If she does it in NYC, then I could get one of my best friends to go with me. She lives in RI and goes to NYC every chance she gets. She could score tix...Anyway, that was an interesting book.
                          Hm... that is interesting. I guess I liked Anne Rice's Mayfair Witches stories exactly beacuse they're not the kind of stuff you normally read or imagine when you think of witches and all that. At least for me. I've only read I think one or two of the vampire chronicles. And I like them too. I really loved "Cry to Heaven" as well.

A one woman stage show.... *dies* That would be so fabulous, though I'd never get to see it. Lucky, lucky, lucky you if you managed it. And I haven't read that... I'll have to see to that. It's just my list of books to read, and all the stuff I buy is just growing and growing and I don't know when I'll catch up.

I was just watching LDYB. I love that scene so much. I watch it over and over like a thousand times. Mary is just too great. Seriously. And you know what... I was thinking... And I actually think that was the first BSG episode I ever saw... I think...

Comment

Hm... that is interesting. I guess I liked Anne Rice's Mayfair Witches stories exactly beacuse they're not the kind of stuff you normally read or imagine when you think of witches and all that. At least for me. I've only read I think one or two of the vampire chronicles. And I like them too. I really loved "Cry to Heaven" as well.

A one woman stage show.... *dies* That would be so fabulous, though I'd never get to see it. Lucky, lucky, lucky you if you managed it. And I haven't read that... I'll have to see to that. It's just my list of books to read, and all the stuff I buy is just growing and growing and I don't know when I'll catch up.

I was just watching LDYB. I love that scene so much. I watch it over and over like a thousand times. Mary is just too great. Seriously. And you know what... I was thinking... And I actually think that was the first BSG episode I ever saw... I think...
                            Oooh, Cry to Heaven was amazing! I loved that book. In one of my humanities classes, we actually got to hear a recording of the last living castrati. He was like, a million years old and it was when recording technology was brand new, so from like the mid 1800s or something, so the quality sucked. But we could still hear it. And it was...creepy. It did NOT sound like a boy soprano, and it didn't sound like a female soprano. It was just weird. Maybe because I knew it was a castrati but still. *shudder*

Awww, LDYB was awesome. If that was the first one you ever saw, weren't you confused?

Comment

Oooh, Cry to Heaven was amazing! I loved that book. In one of my humanities classes, we actually got to hear a recording of the last living castrati. He was like, a million years old and it was when recording technology was brand new, so from like the mid 1800s or something, so the quality sucked. But we could still hear it. And it was...creepy. It did NOT sound like a boy soprano, and it didn't sound like a female soprano. It was just weird. Maybe because I knew it was a castrati but still. *shudder*

Awww, LDYB was awesome. If that was the first one you ever saw, weren't you confused?
                              Really? Oh wow... that's very cool. And very scary. I can't even bring myself to imagine what it would sound like. The last castrato was still alive in the mid 1800s? Wow... I would have thought they'd all be dead way before that.

Well... my love affair with BSG is all weird... I started off by ocasionaly watching a few episodes, because it's on right after another show that I like to watch. And I think LDYB was one of, if not the first one I ever saw. Of course I didn't catch on to the whole story and all that, so yeah, I was confused... Actually, thats weird, now that I think of it... I don't know what they've been showing on tv here... because I'm usure I saw LDYB on tv... and now they must have started season 2 all over again, because last week they showed the episode after Black Market... Ah, well... I have other ways of watching it properly.

Comment

Dear gods, she was SO flirting with Bill in the new epi!! I loved this so much. My favorite one ever (so far anyway). Even better than RS2! *swoons*

Comment

Working...
                                X