This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MASON
    Think of the possibilities the Cylons have for armour, with their living ships, they might already possess regenerative ablative armour!!!
    Now you make it sound like the Vorlons!!

Red Queen Hypothesis?
    It's a evolutionary theory that describes recombination and its advantages in responding to other rapidly evolving organisms. The original reference was from Lewis Carroll. When Alice was running and getting nowhere because the landscape was moving as well, the Red Queen told her "it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!" Biologists often just refer to "the evolutionary arms race." Though my favorite real world example of technological evolution was the changes in design seen in "Robot Wars" over the course of 3-4 years.
    Freedom is Slavery. Spending is Stimulus. Hope is Change

Comment

Originally posted by madk99
      Now you make it sound like the Vorlons!!
      Okay, I googled the Vorlons, and I still don't know their origin, what are they from?

Comment

Okay, I googled the Vorlons, and I still don't know their origin, what are they from?
        That was Babylon 5. Which was a great show for exactly 4 seasons! I was already too invested in the show not to watch the last season but just as I thought it couldn't get worse it always did. The final episode was one big yawnfest.
        Anyway, the Vorlon ship was alive in its own right. The weapons, sheilds, propulsion, AM/FM cassette -- was all some sort of organic technology that was pretty bad-ass compared to the other ships on the show.
        Freedom is Slavery. Spending is Stimulus. Hope is Change

Comment

I'm betting we haven't seen all of Galactica's tricks just yet. She's gotta have some last ditch armament somewhere. Perhaps they'll remount those Tesla coils that were being shipped back to Caprica in the Colonial One?
          telsa coils, the ones Lee used to fake a nuke?
          what could they be used for?
          why does McKay pronounce it Day-ta and not Data?
          Or why loootenant and not lieutenant?

Comment

Originally posted by Render
            telsa coils, the ones Lee used to fake a nuke?
            what could they be used for?

Nikola Tesla's vision of a weapon to end war.

Comment

Space is very harsh to complex organic life. Also, in terms of materials, organic stuff doesnt make good armor plating. The best organisms can make are thick hides, or even scales of bony material. But none of which are use in ballistic protection.

Cylon ships, like their fighters, are organic structures housed in metal exoskeletal hulls.

As for BSG's weapons, I have a feeling theyll rely on missiles for the heavy stuff. If they want to kill a base ship, they may mount anti-ship dumb rockets on vipers. Also, those cannons can cut a Base ship to shreds, but the problem is, most cylons dont need air. So for base ships, you might want to go for a powerplant kill. Knock out the main reactor to kill it.

Comment

Originally posted by skrip00
                Also, those cannons can cut a Base ship to shreds, but the problem is, most cylons dont need air. So for base ships, you might want to go for a powerplant kill. Knock out the main reactor to kill it.
                Good point about non-pressurized cabins, especially considering the Heavy Raider transports. However, in KLG II, Sharon takes off her helmet in the Baseship (nevermind the naked Sharon copies), which leads me to believe that the Baseships are pressurized.

[EDIT 1]: They may not be pressurized, though, for the raptor didn't seem to be pass through an airlock, and Sharon is meant to have placed explosives within the Galactica's water tank, so Humano-Cylons may be immune to the effects of high pressure and vacuum.

[EDIT 2]: But Sharon was able to speak on the baseship, to the other Sharons, so there had to have been an atmosphere. No one can hear you speak to your clones in space.

You also raise a point about taking out the reactor. Wouldn't a Tesla EMP weapon prove capable of exactly this? Perhaps this explains their presence on the Colonial One, after Galactica's disarmament.
                Last edited by MASON; 14 November 2005, 01:40 PM.

Comment

if the base sars are indeed pressureised we must not forget the handy effects of explosive decomplesion
                  why does McKay pronounce it Day-ta and not Data?
                  Or why loootenant and not lieutenant?

Comment

[EDIT 1]: They may not be pressurized, though, for the raptor didn't seem to be pass through an airlock, and Sharon is meant to have placed explosives within the Galactica's water tank, so Humano-Cylons may be immune to the effects of high pressure and vacuum.

[EDIT 2]: But Sharon was able to speak on the baseship, to the other Sharons, so there had to have been an atmosphere. No one can hear you speak to your clones in space.
                    Lack of an airlock combined with the ability to talk within the basestar is curious indeed... I'm having a hard time finding a reasonable explaination for that unless you explain it away by saying they went through some sort of airlock and the camera didn't see it happen because it was filming the crew of the Raptor instead at the time.

Comment

Well, maybe it passed through an airlock we didnt see?

As for EMPs knocking out the cylon reactor... I very much doubt it. EMP shielding can easily be done with a faraday cage surrounding the key components. But if they are using fusion reactors (which i firmly believe all vessels in BSG use in some capacity), then doing damage to the cooling system will be enough...

But so far, we've only seen the big guns fire flak. Im sure when shooting KE rounds, their velocity may be much higher.

Comment

Good point about non-pressurized cabins, especially considering the Heavy Raider transports. However, in KLG II, Sharon takes off her helmet in the Baseship (nevermind the naked Sharon copies), which leads me to believe that the Baseships are pressurized.

Well, although, in space, no one can hear you scream, they can, apparently, hear you scream in a Baseship.

I finally got my season one DVDs back from a friend, and got around to doing some investigation.

Airlocks, indeed, more like ventricles.

This screenshot depicts Boomer and Racetrack, in their raptor, entering the baseship in KLGII. It is the last of 8 frames of movement of the seal.

Comment

I also managed to grab these shots:

Of particular interest are what appear to be Cylon fuel tankers. These ships (above) resemble the Cylon fuel tankers from BSG(TOS)(below).

From the Cylon Alliance

Comment

Originally posted by Lord §okar
                            Mmm, it's a bit like Voyagers inexhaustable torpedo supply (I didn't ascertain that first hand, honest). I think I may try to calculate just how much mass they've ejected tomorrow morning.
                            Don't really believe they had an inexhaustable torpedo supply, its more like they could replicate/make more torpedoes. Its the same way they had to stop for gas once or twice

Comment

Working...
                            X