This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caprice
    I actually had the impression that it was just Commander Adama that had decided that no network would be on his ship while under his command rather than a military that was still overly paraniod about such things. Obviously the sentiment was shared at some point but I do not believe we are meant to take it that all the military was still so backward.
    I WOULD pop in the miniseries and check what the Cylon Historian said about computers during the war but it appears my copy is fraked. Won’t play on anything. :-\ *Kicks the DVD*

I swear he said that it was the fleet that was so backwards which suggests that this, at the time, was a higher up command decision or necessity which appears to be the case. Could be wrong though since I can't check.
    Also even if the rest of the fleet eventually got around their technophobia it sounds like the Galactica didn’t. In the miniseries Adama was pretty adiment about NOT having networked computers aboard his ship even if it was for schooling which I think was what they wanted to bring in. Again its been a while since I've watched the MS.
    If Adama was so paranoid about networks he would have never installed a wireless system that could be used to hack his ship.

Comment

I don’t think Galactica ever started out with networked computers. Adama just made it a point to never have her upgraded like the other battlestars in the fleet.

Doral had this to say in the mini, “...antiquated to modern eyes...phones with cords, awkward manual valves, computers that, well, barely deserve the name. It was all designed to operate against an enemy who could infiltrate and disrupt even the most basic computer systems. Galactica is a reminder of the time when we were so frightened by our enemies that we literally looked backward for protection."

So that seems to imply, imo, that all battlestars were once like the Galactica. She was probably the last of her kind to be decommissioned.

The modern fleet had networked computers that were probably more advanced and that’s what cost them. In one of the reports that Dee received, it was noted that an entire battlestar just shut down (like the Vipers).
      IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by Callsign:Spooky
        If Adama was so paranoid about networks he would have never installed a wireless system that could be used to hack his ship.
        The wireless system can only be used to hack the ship IF it is hooked up to a network.

MG

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
          So that seems to imply, imo, that all battlestars were once like the Galactica. She was probably the last of her kind to be decommissioned.
          Check the MS. You see a BS very much like BSG broken up over Caprica.

Comment

Originally posted by skrip00
            That's a whole lot of acronyms.
            I'm from Iowa, United States

Comment

Originally posted by Callsign:Spooky
              it appears my copy is fraked. Won’t play on anything. :-\
              HMPF... stupid DVD.

Originally posted by SG-1ssm
              That's a whole lot of acronyms.
              No kidding.

Took me a few reads to figure out what was being said... MS is Microsoft, BS is bulls---, and BSG reminds me of the BFG9000 from Doom... so I'm easily confused LOL

Comment

hehe, check the miniseries when helo and boomer are flying to caprica after being hit by the missile. you see a broken up battlestar over kobol... looks awfully like galactica's class.

Comment

Hey this is a little off topic but what does Dratus mean? I sware I heard someone say "we have a dratus contact" when I was watching The Hunt of Red October a couple nights ago, and I know they say it in BSG a lot.
                  I'm from Iowa, United States

Comment

Dradis:

Direction, RAnge, and DIStance.

MG

Comment

Originally posted by Mirhadi
                      Dradis:

Direction, RAnge, and DIStance.

MG

Nice work! Was that from a podcast?
                      Also since it seems to be the same principal as RADAR, does anyone know what RADAR stands for?

Comment

Originally posted by voigtstr
                        does anyone know what RADAR stands for?
                        Royal Association for Disability and Rehabilitation?

Nah, actually it is Radio Detection and Ranging

Comment

Originally posted by skrip00
                          Yeah, it does resemble Galactica, especially the engines, but it’s hard to say for certain since it looks like it’s been basically cut in half and the forward section has a huge hole blown in it.

It’s still possible that it was a decommissioned Galactica class battlestar. We have many decommissioned battleships, air craft carriers, destroyers, etc. on display around the U.S. Whose to say the Colonials don’t as well. Maybe that ship was in orbit around Caprica as a “floating” museum. I’m guessing that battlestars can’t land on planets so they would have to remain in orbit if they had been turned into a museum, etc. and not turned into scrap.

Along come the Cylons, not caring if it’s a decommissioned ship or not, and they destroy it to make sure it’s never used against them.

Anyway, I’m just saying that’s a possibility. Then again maybe it was still in the service….but it’s not anymore….

ETA: When we first meet Doral in the mini, he has this to say, “This ship [Galactica], the last of her kind still in service, was constructed over 50 years ago during the early days of the Cylon War.”
                          Last edited by LoneStar1836; 12 October 2005, 08:31 PM.
                          IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by voigtstr
                            Nice work! Was that from a podcast?
                            Also since it seems to be the same principal as RADAR, does anyone know what RADAR stands for?
                            Thank you! Unfortunately, I can't remember where on earth I found it. Wasn't a podcast, though. I just Googled DRADIS. I was curious. And, as the radar question has already been answered, I'll not be repetitious!

MG

Comment

DRADIS

The sensor technology that Galatica is using seems to vary in ability, on the one hand they can detect vessels, nukes, water and fuel but on the other they can't detect wether a ship has any crew on board.

Comment

FTL drives are very important in the Galactica universe. They are probably what caused them to leave Kobol in the first place. Launch tubes are cool too. lol
                                Mmmm... Chunky.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X