No announcement yet.

My Journey through Babylon 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's interesting to read along as you chronicle your first trip through the B5 Universe. I've been considering a re-watch, but it's a huge commitment if you think of how much total content is out there. You might find this site to be helpful as your watching, I did anyway. "The Lurkers Guide to Babylon Five"

http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/lurker.html

The reference material is very complete. Pretty much anything you've ever wondered about the show is in this site. Good luck!

Comment

The Lurkers Guide is just about the best reference site out there for B5. It's been running for years and years. The first time I browsed the site I didn't even have an internet connection at home. It was in college on their 256k leased line back in the mid 90s. Good times.

Beware of spoilers, though!
      "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Yes indeed! It was always a tradeoff though.... I knew I could always find the answers to my questions at the Lurkers Guide, but even with my 14.4 modem running flat out, it took forever!

Here's one you might remember or really anyone that was watching B5, "live" when it was first telecast. Remember this <*> ? I recall getting emails and even snail-mail letters with <*> typed somewhere on the page. It was quite a mystery to me, and a whole lot of other people, too! Turns out those symbols signified a secret B5, hand shake, for lack of a better word. <*> is the master jump-gate symbol! Fans would identify themselves to other fans using the jump gate logo. By the time I figured out what it was all about, it had ceased to be a secret anymore!

In fact, there is still a woman in Arizona or New Mexico that makes these jump gate pins.

http://www.jumpgatepins.com/index.html

I just looked and I see she's still in business, but from the looks of it, she's just selling off what she has left. Just thought I'd throw a little trivia into this B5 thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
          The Lurkers Guide is just about the best reference site out there for B5. It's been running for years and years. The first time I browsed the site I didn't even have an internet connection at home. It was in college on their 256k leased line back in the mid 90s. Good times.

Beware of spoilers, though!
          Yes that is why I'm hesitant to click the link! The site does sound like something I would definitely check out after I've finished the series though.
          sigpic

Comment

1x14 - TKO

I think it would have been fun if this episode was renamed Rabbis in Space!

Overall this was a fun filler episode. I liked the major contrast between the two story lines - one about violence and the other about peace and accepting loss. Did the producers realize Muay Thai is a really popular fighting style that humans engage in every day though I maybe would have called it something else but either way it was entertaining to watch.

Really nice to see Susan's character developing in this episode. The rabbi was a good character and fun to watch, really believable in his role.
            sigpic

Comment

1x15 - Grail

I really didn't get this episode and what the point was. I understand there are fillers but this one missed the mark for me. Londo had some good moments but that is about it. The only other upside is that I got some information about the previous four Babylon stations and how they met their demise. Also not sure what the reason was for not contacting G'kar as the Grail guy said he contacted all ambassadors.

Another gripe I have is the guns on this show. I'm not a fan of the small fit in your pocket guns that I see used most of the time. I get that they pack a punch and are easy to carry but I like to see fancy, big guns . These just remind me of the Men In Black gun that Will Smith is stuck with in the first movie. Although that one was a lot more entertaining to watch.

I did watch this right after the Entourage series finale so that may have had something to do with it. I was bummed that the series is over and so many questions left to be answered.
              sigpic

Comment

1x16 - Eyes

This was a refreshing episode. Good to see more of Lennier, really liked his role in this one and his interactions with Garibaldi.

We found out more about Ivanova and how the condition of her mother affected her. It was also good to see that at least some psycore folks are fairly normal people who are not ego-driven and choose to the right thing when necessary.

I see there was also more mention of Sinclair and the Menbari. I like that they brought up again, even though it was indirectly, just to show that the plot line has not been forgotten.

On a side note, in the opening credits, I find it different that they show a lot of characters under the "also starring" section who at most can be considered recurring characters. For example, I think I've seen Na'toth in maybe 3 episodes out of 16 so far.
                sigpic

Comment

My computer died 5 days ago and I'm having to post from my phone. I'll be receiving a new computer--a laptop this time--sometime next week. I'll be commenting a bit on these 3 episodes.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                    My computer died 5 days ago and I'm having to post from my phone. I'll be receiving a new computer--a laptop this time--sometime next week. I'll be commenting a bit on these 3 episodes.
                    Great news, about the new laptop of course
                    sigpic

Comment

Glad you're still enjoying the show. Glad you liked TKO, it's the least favorite episode of many people. I must admit I preferred the Ivanova storyline though.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                        Glad you're still enjoying the show. Glad you liked TKO, it's the least favorite episode of many people. I must admit I preferred the Ivanova storyline though.
                        I can see why that would be the case. It was far from the best but I enjoyed it more than Grail though.
                        sigpic

Comment

1x17 - Legacies

Do we find out what the cause of the Earth-Menbari war was?

This episode does mention some information regarding the war but not really what started. I know bits of information have been mentioned up until this point but nothing that reveals the reason. I would be interested to find out since it is mentioned in the intro every time and I still don't know why it happened.

As for the episode itself, I liked the conflict that ensued from the Menbari visit. It was nice to find out about the problems that currently face the Menbari as well. Delenn was really good in this episode, and so was her Menbari counterpart. Pretty much the guy you love to hate in any episode but he did a good job.

I sense the way they removed the body has something to do with Sinclair and that period of time he can't remember.
                          sigpic

Comment

There is a movie titled, "The Beginning" that chronicles the Earth - Minbari war. It tells Delenn's role and tends to make the whole first couple of series clearer. Viewing The Beginning is now recommended to be the first video that new viewers watch. The Lurkers Guide transcribes a conversation with JMS about what should be viewed when. When I started watching I didn't have the benefit of the movies to supplement the series, but I sure wish that I did!

The only controversy is that in making, "The Beginning" the viewer is going to learn a few pieces of info from the 3rd series that they wouldn't normally be privy to. But, JMS is the architect and he apparently feels that this is a very fair tradeoff...

Comment

Originally posted by 12OzMouse View Post
                              There is a movie titled, "The Beginning" that chronicles the Earth - Minbari war. It tells Delenn's role and tends to make the whole first couple of series clearer. Viewing The Beginning is now recommended to be the first video that new viewers watch. The Lurkers Guide transcribes a conversation with JMS about what should be viewed when. When I started watching I didn't have the benefit of the movies to supplement the series, but I sure wish that I did!

The only controversy is that in making, "The Beginning" the viewer is going to learn a few pieces of info from the 3rd series that they wouldn't normally be privy to. But, JMS is the architect and he apparently feels that this is a very fair tradeoff...
                              That's good to know thanks

What is the viewing order I should be following when it comes to the B5 series and accompanying movies?
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 12OzMouse View Post
                                It spoils some of the mystery of the first two seasons though. They didn't make this movie until after season 4. While it does show what initiated the Earth/Mimbari War, I find that not as important. Some where along the way in the series you do learn this before they made the movie.

I'd say skip it. And watch it later and not now.

JMS on the Lurker's Guide:
                                Will In the Beginning spoil some of season one's mysteries?
                                That's an interesting question. When I sat down to write In the Beginning, my feeling was that I should look at the long term. Would the hole in Sinclair's mind be the same mystery it was in season one, or would it be kind of known thereafter? If so, then do you want to play with the mystery, or set up what actually happened? I figured, okay, let's go for the latter...let's let the audience know (which will mostly know by now anyway), and set up the background, with the characters not knowing the first season. I took basic greek tragedy as my model, with ItB functioning more or less as a Greek chorus that sets things up.

If you want to play it as a strict mystery, then no, probably don't go near ItB...but frankly, if I were going to start someone off on B5, I'd definitely want to start with ItB, which sort of skims in and out of the overall storyline in a beautiful fashion.
                                IMO always implied.

Comment

Working...
                                X