No announcement yet.

My Journey through Babylon 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is JMS' final word on the Battle of Proxima 3. The White Stars weren't "powered down." His comments are in red.

"It seems to me that the White Stars (particularly in the numbers I perceived in this Ep) should have been able to deal with the Earth ships like lamb to a slaughter."

Yeah, if all you want is to slaughter fellow humans and officers; if you want to try to minimize the body count of your fellow officers, who you want to eventually side with you, it's more difficult, you have to keep the kid gloves on...which endangers you in the long run.

"were these White Stars tired or something? I would've expected that a couple of them could just go slice-slice, sever the rotating sections on the EA ships and have 'em for breakfast."

Sure, if all you're interested in is slaughtering the opposition...they were designed for "destroy"...when you have to pull your punches to avoid just going in and killing EVERYthing in sight...which will only work *against* you in the long run, it becomes more difficult.

Spoiler:
    As for the Battle of Sector 300 in "Between the Darkness and the Light"...

There were many Earth advanced destroyers fighting the White Stars. At the end of the episode, I believe Ivanova did say they were outnumbered. The things that saved the White Stars were superior speed and maneuverability.
    sigpic

Comment

4x16 - Exercise of Vital Powers

I really liked the two story lines in this episode.

Garibaldi finally meets the mysterious Mr Edgars and we find out about a totally separate plot which will be taking place. I am not sure what to make of Edgars especially after seeing what was happening in that dark room to those people in the beds that were obviously near death. I also don't know what to think of Edgars' proposal of his idea to Garibaldi. Is he actually genuine when he says he wants to take down Clark and avoid the telepaths gaining too much power? Or is it just a ruse to accomplish something else and stop Sheridan?

It was interesting to see Lyta interact with the telepath. When I heard that Shadow screech I knew something major was up. It seems to me like they still have a role to play in all this, but from the reaction Franklin had after speaking to Sheridan it appears to be something extreme. I guess we will find out soon what that conversation was about. I liked how another character openly admitted the change they noticed in Sheridan since his return from Z'ha'dum.

The main change I see in Sheridan is that he is more cold and calculating. He will do anything to achieve what he thinks is right, and at times this now makes him short-sighted. I can't forget how he talked those rangers into sacrificing the entire ship a while back. I don't want to use the word manipulate, but that is the effect he seems to have on some. He convinces others that he is always in the right, and they follow him no matter what. A lot of the times he is right, but not always, and there have been consequences.
      sigpic

Comment

No doubt Sheridan is a lot harder now than he was in season 2 and 3.

That guy on Z'ha'dum said when Sheridan turned, the universe had a tendency to turn with him. So maybe it isn't manipulation, but he is a guy that people don't seem to mind dying for. Makes you wonder if there isn't something to Garibaldi's viewpoint after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Savatage View Post
          Makes you wonder if there isn't something to Garibaldi's viewpoint after all.
          And that's the beauty of this show. Like I said before - no black and white, it's all shades of grey.
          Last edited by Raw_Deal; 09 March 2012, 12:22 PM.
          sigpic

Suffer the dream of a world gone mad, I like it like that and I know it.
          - R.E.M.

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
            Spoiler:

Garibaldi finally meets the mysterious Mr Edgars and we find out about a totally separate plot which will be taking place. I am not sure what to make of Edgars especially after seeing what was happening in that dark room to those people in the beds that were obviously near death. I also don't know what to think of Edgars' proposal of his idea to Garibaldi. Is he actually genuine when he says he wants to take down Clark and avoid the telepaths gaining too much power? Or is it just a ruse to accomplish something else and stop Sheridan?

It was interesting to see Lyta interact with the telepath. When I heard that Shadow screech I knew something major was up. It seems to me like they still have a role to play in all this, but from the reaction Franklin had after speaking to Sheridan it appears to be something extreme. I guess we will find out soon what that conversation was about. I liked how another character openly admitted the change they noticed in Sheridan since his return from Z'ha'dum.

The main change I see in Sheridan is that he is more cold and calculating. He will do anything to achieve what he thinks is right, and at times this now makes him short-sighted. I can't forget how he talked those rangers into sacrificing the entire ship a while back. I don't want to use the word manipulate, but that is the effect he seems to have on some. He convinces others that he is always in the right, and they follow him no matter what. A lot of the times he is right, but not always, and there have been consequences.

Spoiler:

It was hinted a few times in Babylon 5 that some people came to think of the interstellar alliance as cult that just there to support and keep Sheridon in power, certainly flashes into the future seem to hint to that being a commonly held view on Earth.
            Last edited by knowles2; 10 March 2012, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
              Spoiler:
              Indeed I think it hint a few times in Babylon 5 that some people come to think of the interstellar alliance as cult that just there to support and keep Sheridon in power, certainly flashes into the future seem to hint to that is commonly held view on Earth.
              You're probably not aware of this but magictrick has not seen the end of season 4. It'd be a good idea to place spoiler tags to avoid spoiling the final episodes.
              Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 09 March 2012, 06:03 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

LIttle mod note....spoiler tags would be considerate since you know you have a person here that hasn't' seen it.....that said B5 is a couple decades old, so spoiler tags are not required and not putting them in wont' get you modded. So you don't have to....but a little consideration for your threadmate would be nice.
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys, I just opened the thread now and everything was already tagged so its all good. Though I was tempted to click and read it
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys, I just opened the thread now and everything was already tagged so its all good. Though I was tempted to click and read it
                    Cool, I was wondering whether I beat you back to the thread. Glad I did. Hope you enjoy the rest of the episodes.

Comment

The entire plot line with William Edgars will make a lot of sense when you see the following episodes. "The Face of the Enemy" in particular will clarify what's happening. Edgars could have ostensibly sided with Sheridan in their fight against Clark but Edgars is... eh. I don't like the man. He can play up his good intentions about getting rid of Clark and reining in Psi Corps but he's like many others who are in a position of power: They want more power. I think he's no different than Clark, personally.

Sheridan's actions in this conflict... hmm, it's best to not say anything and let this play out. You'll see what he's planning soon enough.
                      sigpic

Comment

4x17 - The Face of the Enemy

Wow what an episode!

It really came as no surprise when Bester was the one who sat down across from Garibaldi. I have to hand it to Bester, he's smart, devious, and will do anything to protect his telepaths.

All along I knew something was up with Garibaldi, but as Bester said, it had to be untraceable, and it really was. I just couldn't pinpoint what it was. He was Garibaldi, but not really the same. I'm really curious what happens now. Will he ever get his revenge on Bester?

Edgars' plot with the telepaths is also devious. It seems like the breaking point is being approached quickly and something has to give. Both sides seem to be hell bent on either controlling or destroying one another. Who will prevail?

I felt bad for Sheridan in this one. They exploited his one weakness and he fell for it. I also feel for Garibaldi because I can't imagine how it must be like that he has all his memories back now and realized what happened. I am sure the rest of his arc involves him proving what really happened and helping Sheridan escape.

This episode was so awesome I couldn't help but watch the next one right after.

4x18 - Intersections in Real Time

I was hoping this episode would delve in and deal with the after effects of what just happened, but in true Babylon 5 fashion they slow things down a bit again by focusing solely on Sheridan.

I thought the interrogator did an excellent job. He reminded me a lot of the Inquisitor from season 2, who still tops the list as one of my favourite one-off characters on the show.

I was expecting them to bring in Sheridan's father in at any time and use that against him, so I was surprised when that didn't happen. I can only assume they are saving that story line for a future episode. Or do they really have his father in custody as they claim? I was also expecting that his capture would end putting him in the same room with some of the people in charge, some of Clarke's people. I guess they want to break him first?

Not much else to say here, except the obvious which is we see Sheridan's strong will as he doesn't break and the process then just continues.
                        sigpic

Comment

Coming up next... Between the Darkness and the Light. Oh Boy!
                          "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

B5 cast a lot of actors in roles you're not used to seeing them in. Bester is nothing like his Star Trek counterpart and Bruce always played nice guys in his previous TV roles. It's funny how pre-Z'ha'dum, he was all smiles - just like viewers were used to seeing - but post-Z'ha'dum, he's much darker.

Comment

4x17 - The Face of the Enemy

I felt bad for Sheridan in this one. They exploited his one weakness and he fell for it. I also feel for Garibaldi because I can't imagine how it must be like that he has all his memories back now and realized what happened. I am sure the rest of his arc involves him proving what really happened and helping Sheridan escape.
                              God, the scene where Garibaldi drugs Sheridan, and Sheridan tries to fight for his freedom in the haze of the tranquilizer, is just chilling. This is one of those scenes that no matter how many times I watch it, it still gives me goose bumps.

4x18 - Intersections in Real Time

I was hoping this episode would delve in and deal with the after effects of what just happened, but in true Babylon 5 fashion they slow things down a bit again by focusing solely on Sheridan.

I thought the interrogator did an excellent job. He reminded me a lot of the Inquisitor from season 2, who still tops the list as one of my favourite one-off characters on the show.

I was expecting them to bring in Sheridan's father in at any time and use that against him, so I was surprised when that didn't happen. I can only assume they are saving that story line for a future episode. Or do they really have his father in custody as they claim? I was also expecting that his capture would end putting him in the same room with some of the people in charge, some of Clarke's people. I guess they want to break him first?

Not much else to say here, except the obvious which is we see Sheridan's strong will as he doesn't break and the process then just continues.
                              Another great episode. The desperation of Sheridan's situation comes across really well, but so does Sheridan's strong will and resolve:

But can you win?
                              Every time I say "NO"

Brilliant.
                              sigpic

Suffer the dream of a world gone mad, I like it like that and I know it.
                              - R.E.M.

Comment

4x19 - Between the Darkness and the Light

The episode started off with a bang as Garibaldi gets confronted by Franklin, Lyta and the Mars resistance. I thought this was a pretty intense sequence of scenes. It was great to see Lyta come to the rescue, Garibaldi owes her big time.

The plan that led to Sheridan's rescue seemed a bit too convenient to me. Here you have the greatest threat to Clarke and they allow Garibaldi and co. to walk right in without any identification. The security seemed minimal as well for a place that is holding such an important prisoner. I was expecting something a lot more from this operation, it was all too easy for me and anti-climactic.

Susan was awesome in this episode though. The speech that she gave right before the big battle was totally bad***. The Whitestar fleet seems to be more than capable to deal with any Earth vessels, even those that have Shadow technology. The battle scene was definitely intense and one of the best I've seen in B5 so far. Now as for Susan, how injured she is remains to be seen.

4x20 - Endgame

The big showdown finally happens, and the result is as expected. The big battle over Mars never actually happens as Sheridan's plan with the telepaths works perfectly. I'm not sure what to think, if they really went head-to-head in battle I still think Sheridan's fleet would have come out on top as they had the backing of the alien ships as well. I was kind of hoping to see a huge space battle, but I know Sheridan was just trying to save as many human lives as possible.

The scene with Sheridan and Ivanova was touching. Though, from the start I had a feeling that she would pull through somehow. I didn't feel like the character meeting her end in this way was appropriate and that the writers were going to throw in something that would save her. The question now becomes is Marcus going to be saved in time or not? If he doesn't make it I don't see Susan having a very good reaction to it.

The battle is over but the aftermath leaves a lot of things up in the air, all of which I'm sure will be answered in the coming episodes. The main things I look forward to are:
                                Garibaldi and Sheridan finally talking face to face
                                Susan's reaction to Marcus' sacrifice
                                The virus and cure for the telepaths that Bester now has in his possession.
                                The status of Earth - who will be in charge, no defense grid, etc.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X