No announcement yet.

Your Favorite Babylon 5 Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a simple quote but it's one of my many fav's.

It's from parliament of dreams when Londo has had a little too much to drink.
    Londo Mollari: Do you know what the last Xon said just before he died? [clutches chest] AAAAGGGHHHH!
    The worship of Talos is strictly forbidden!

Comment

Sleeping in Light

Garibaldi: The Interstellar Alliance, based on the Homeworld of the Minbari Federation, was founded in the Earth year 2261 shortly after the end of the Shadow War, 20 years ago—20 years of history. Those of us who survived have seen it all and those of us who understand have been waiting and dreading the arrival of this day.

Ivanova: An expedition to Coriana space found Sheridan's ship a few days later, but they never found him. All the airlocks were sealed, but there was no trace of him inside. Some of the Minbari believe he will come back some day, but I never saw him again in my lifetime...

Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon stations. There would never be another. It changed the future and it changed us. It taught us that we have to create the future or others will do it for us. It showed us that we have to care for one another, because if we don't, who will? And that true strength sometimes comes from the most unlikely places. Mostly though, I think it gave us hope, that there can always be new beginnings—even for people like us. As for Delenn, every morning for as long as she lived, Delenn got up before dawn and watched the sun come up.
      sigpic

Comment

Great quotes! I've only seen the series once (so far!!!) but the following really stand out for me:
        Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
        Believers, 110

Kosh: The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

(Was he being prophetic or what? )
        Very prophetic. On a much less profound scale, however, I'm going to use that on my kids some day.

Originally posted by Raw_Deal View Post
        Delenn: Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari Fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives…be somewhere else!
        I just rewatched Severed Dreams based on the fact that it was selected the most popular B5 episode by TV.com. There are several wonderful Delenn and Sheridan lines in there, but this is the most memorable and the one I was going to add to this thread had I gotten here first.

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
        Between the Darkness and the Light

Ivanova: Who am I? I am Susan Ivanova, Commander. Daughter of Andrei and Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going see. God sent me.
        The thing about this, I really believed her- and I could easily imagine the recipients turning three shades of white when they heard it. It was chilling.
        Not too many characters and actors could have pulled off lines like these, it was a real testament to the fine writing and acting.

Comment

Londo Mollari: There, you see? I'm going to live!
          G'Kar: So it would seem. Well, it is an imperfect universe.
          Londo: *******.
          G'Kar: Monster.
          Londo: Fanatic!
          G'Kar: Murderer!
          Londo: You are insane!
          G'Kar: And that is why we'll win.
          Londo: "Go be the ambassador to Babylon 5," they say. "It will be an easy assignment!" I hate my life.
          G'Kar: So do I.
          Londo: Shut up!
          I love G'kar's/Londo's special 'friendship'
          The worship of Talos is strictly forbidden!

Comment

Originally posted by Leeta View Post
            I love G'kar's/Londo's special 'friendship'
            A sample of that "special friendship"...

Londo: He seems very glad to see you.
            G'Kar: Yes, but we weren't gone that long. Less than a month.
            Londo: Well, there you have the key to your popularity: your absence. Go away for a month and they bow. Go away for six months and they'll tear the place apart when you come back. Perhaps you should go away and never come back again. Then your popularity will be so overwhelming it would blacken the stars.
            G'Kar: Mollari–
            Londo: I have always said this about you: nothing so improves your company like the lack of it. ... Perhaps you can make some money from this: ten credits for you not to be there for an hour, a hundred credits for you not to be there for the day. And for you not to be there for the rest of your life, well, they could never afford it.
            sigpic
            Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
              Great quotes! I've only seen the series once (so far!!!) but the following really stand out for me: Very prophetic. On a much less profound scale, however, I'm going to use that on my kids some day.

I just rewatched Severed Dreams based on the fact that it was selected the most popular B5 episode by TV.com. There are several wonderful Delenn and Sheridan lines in there, but this is the most memorable and the one I was going to add to this thread had I gotten here first.

The thing about this, I really believed her- and I could easily imagine the recipients turning three shades of white when they heard it. It was chilling.
              Not too many characters and actors could have pulled off lines like these, it was a real testament to the fine writing and acting.
              I think Kosh knew that nothing good was going to come from the religious debate that was going on in Believers. I don't think he could see into the future but he just knew that the whole thing was going to be a tangled mess—like a bunch of snakes in a spaghetti fight.

Severed Dreams and Shadow Dancing would probably be my two favorite episodes from season 3. Both episodes were the flashpoint of tense military conflicts that were building up over the course of years: Babylon 5 breaking away with the first and Babylon 5's forces facing off against the Shadows with the second.

Something similar was seen in Between the Darkness and the Light. I knew that Clark had an ace in the hole, though I didn't know when the show first aired. When it was revealed that Earth had successfully adapted the Shadow technology to their warships, I knew that they would be a nearly equal match for the White Stars—and that there would be one hell of a fight as a result. Ivanova brought that fire into the fray. Her words were as potent weapons against Clark's forces as the weapons on her White Star.
              sigpic

Comment

I think this quote from Endgame is quite appropriate, especially considering today's date.

Dr. Franklin: November 1st, 2261—Doctor’s personal log. We’re ready. We’re starting the final strike to free Earth and Mars. I don’t know if this is going to work but it’s going to be one hell of a fight either way.
                sigpic

Comment

War Without End, Part Two

Delenn: Treasure the moments that you have. Savor them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
                  sigpic

Comment

Midnight on the Firing Line

Sinclair: Well, my father always told me the best way to understand someone is to fight him. Make him angry. That’s when you see the real person.

Londo: Only one things matters, Commander. Blood calls out for blood.

Infection

Sinclair: When you become obsessed with the enemy you become the enemy

Believers

Sinclair: Maybe god doesn’t care how you say your prayers just as long as you say them.

A Voice in the Wilderness Part 1

Delenn: A half-truth is the worst kind of lie.

Babylon Squared

Grey Council Member: What is it that makes the humans so special? What is it that draws you to them? They fight, they argue, they are ruled by passions and fears.
                    Delenn: Yes. And that is their strength. They do not seek conformity. They do not surrender. Out of their differences comes symmetry, their unique capacity to fight against impossible odds. Hurt them and they only come back stronger. The passions we deplore have taken them to their place in the stars and will propel them to a great destiny. Their only weakness is that they do not recognize their own greatness. They forget that they have come to this place through 2 million years of evolution and struggle and blood. That they are better than they think. And nobler than they know. They carry within them the capacity to walk among the stars like giants. They are the future and we have much to learn from them.

Revelations

G’Kar: Things fall apart, the center cannot hold. Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world, the blood-dimmed tide is loosed. And everywhere, the ceremony of innocence is drowned. And what rough beast, its hour come rouond at last slouches toward Bethlehem to be born.

The Geometry of Shadows

Londo: Money and power always matter.

A Distant Star

Sheridan: I tell you one thing: If the primates that we came from had known that one day politicians would come out of the gene pool, they’d have stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.

Sheridan: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk

A Spider in the Web

Sheridan: Where there’s smoke there’s fire. If you ignore it, you get burned.

The Coming of Shadows

Emperor Turhan: The past tempts us, the present confuses us and the future frightens us. And our lives slip away moment by moment, lost in that vast terrible in-between.

And Now for a Word

G'Kar: Why does any advanced civilization seek to destroy a less advanced one. Because the land is strategically valuable, because there are resources that can be cultivated and exploited but most of all simply because they can.

In the Shadow of Z'ha'Dum

Delenn: There comes a moment when each of us must pledge himself to something greater than himself.

Knives

Urza Jaddo: Knowledge is a basic tool of politics.

The Long Twilight Struggle

G'Kar: No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand. The Centauri learned this lesson once. We will teach it to them again. Though it take a thousand years, we will be free.

Comes the Inquisitor

Sebastian: No greater love hath a man than the lay down his life for his brother. Not for millions, not for glory, nor for fame. For one person. In the dark, where no one will ever know or see.

Dust to Dust

Lennier: A darkness carried in the heart cannot be cured by moving the body from one place to another.

Londo: The lack of new construction is the surest sign of a faltering economy.

Point of No Return

Londo: Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics.

Lady Morella: Greatness is never appreciated in youth, called pride in midlife, dismissed in old age and reconsidered in death. Because we cannot tolerate greatness in our midst we do all we can to destroy it.

Lady Morella: There’s always choice. We say there is not choice only to comfort ourselves with a decision we already made.

Severed Dreams

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
                    Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
                    Delenn: Only one human Captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me, you are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.

Ceremonies of Light and Dark

Delenn: Prophecy is a poor guide to the future. You only understand it when the events are already upon you.

A Late Delivery of Avalon

Marcus: The Minbari say the only way to understand the battle is to understand the language. War is as much concept as execution.

Marcus: For your actions to be pure, they must proceed from direction, determination, patience and strength.

Garibaldi: What are you so nervous about? We went up against the entire Earth Alliance and two carrier groups.
                    Security Guard: Yeah but this is the post office. This could get us in real trouble.

Interludes and Examinations

Ivanova: My grandfather had a saying: Good news can wait. Bad news will refuse to leave.

Shadow Dancing

Garibaldi: The thing ist sometimes people walk away because they wanna be alone. And sometimes they walk away because they wanna see if you care enough to follow them into hell.

Z'ha'Dum

G'Kar: There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting in moments of transition to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future, or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.

The Hour of the Wolf

Londo: Vir, it is a terrible truth but as one accumulates power one loses friends. One only has those who wish to use you and those you wish to use.

Into the Fire

Lorien: Scepticism is the language of the mind.

Centauri Minister: In my experience if you cannot say what you mean you can never mean what you say. The details are everything.

Epiphanies

Sheridan: It’s an imperfect world and you never get what you want.

Garibaldi: The way I figure it, we are all entitled to one big, stupid screw up in our lives.

Atonement

Sheridan: The problem with the a big lie is if you repeat it long enough people start to believe it.

Delenn: The greatest enemy is the one you do not know. You can predict the actions of those who are familiar to you. But the one you cannot predict is the one who can harm you.

Racing Mars

Marcus: I spy with my little eye…something beginning with "B."
                    Franklin: Boxes.
                    Marcus: Fine! I spy with my little eye something beginning with "M."
                    Franklin: More boxes.
                    Marcus: Two in a row.
                    Franklin: And that's when I shot him, Your Honor.
                    Marcus: I spy with my little eye something beginning with "E."
                    Franklin: I-I give up.
                    Marcus: Oh come on.
                    Franklin: This better not be what I-
                    Marcus and Franklin: Even more boxes!

Lines of Communication

Forrell: Dukhat says, when there is good news we always ask if it is true because it is so difficult to believe. But when there is bad news we rarely inquire because it is so easy to believe.

Delenn: Fighting a war is easy. Destroying is easy. Building a new world out of what’s left of the old, that is what’s hard.

Conflicts of Interest

Sheridan: You know my grandfather once told me, the duration’s gonna be a lot longer than the war.

Sheridan: If you’re gonna wait for the universe to start making sense you have a long wait ahead of you.

Moments of Transition

Delenn: Dukhat said that in every battle one side or the other must surrender eventually. It is the natural order of things. There is no dishonor in that, no shame.

Exercise of Vital Powers

Edgars: Do you know how the ancient Greeks defined happiness?
                    Garibaldi: Not offhand but I’d be willing to bet it involved three goats and a jug of wine.
                    Edgars: Happiness, they said, was the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording them scope. Humans have always struggled to find the outer edge of what’s possible. And that’s our strength.

Between the Darkness and the Light

Vir: Politics and morality on the same side? That doesn’t happen every day, Delenn.

Rising Star

G'Kar: You cannot make history, you can only hope to survive it.

The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari

Vir: Prophecy is a guess that comes true. When it doesn’t, it’s a metaphor. You could put a gun to your head and pull the trigger and the the dream is just a dream and the prophecy is just a metaphor.

A View from the Gallery

Introduction to the Declaration of Principles: The Universe speaks in many languages but only one voice. It is the language of the heart. The language of the soul. It is the voice of our ancestors speaking through us. And the voice of our inheiritors waiting to be born. No matter the cost. We agree to recognize this singular truth and this singular rule. We are one.

Strange Relations

Bester: Compassion is a lovely thing... taken in moderation.

Lochley:There’s nothing more appealing than knowing that someone is willing to lay down their life for you.
                    Zack: And nothing more dangerous.

In the Kingdom of the Blind

Garibaldi: Why is it that we always break up our history by the wars, not the years in peace? The Hundred Year’s war, the war of 1812, the first three world wars, the Dilgar war, the war of the Shining Star, the Minbari war, the Shadow war. Why the war but not the peace? Because it's exciting. And because on some level people like to see something big fall apart and explode from the inside out. And right now, John, we’re that something.

Drazi ambassador: Every great fall begins with a single mistake.

The Corps is Mother, the Corps is Father

Lennier: It is not necessary to know, it is only necessary to try.

Lennier: We see what we want to see.

Darkness Ascending

Londo: No one really trusts any one, Vir. It’s the natural order of things.

Londo: When every day’s a risk, cards and dice are not quite as interesting as they used to be.

The Fall of Centauri Prime

Londo: Isn’t it strange, G’Kar? When we first met I had no power and all the choices I could ever want. And now I have all the power I could ever want and no choices at all.

Franklin: The great thing about war is that it advances technology. The bad thing about war is that most of the technologies are destructive. And once the war is over, those weapons are still around.

The Wheel of Fire

Franklin: People love giving power to those they velieve don’t want it.

Objects in Motion

Sheridan: Historically, wars of independance have almost always been followed by civil war.

Objects at Rest

Sheridan: Home is not a placebut where your passion takes you.
                    sigpic
                    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Wow Jumper_One, that's a very good collection of B5 quotes. I think you covered just about all of the the pivotal episodes in every single season. Definitely green-worthy.
                      sigpic

Comment

Here's pair of very good quotes from War Without End, Part Two and Sleeping in Light. Both are quite...relevant in light of certain recent events.

War Without End, Part Two

Delenn: We achieved everything we set out to achieve.

Sleeping in Light

Zack: There were times I thought none of us would get out alive...and some of us didn't. But we did everything we said we were going to do and nobody can take that away from us, or this place.
                        Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 08 December 2010, 06:44 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

I actually signed up to this site so I could post a request for the correct wording of this quote today.

Thanks!

It is one of my favorite lines!

Comment

"No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow." - Ivanova Grail

You can tell JMS loved Londo, G'kar and Ivanova because they had the best lines!

Comment

Originally posted by chipper View Post
                              "No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow." - Ivanova Grail
                              When i first saw this, I was laughing so hard I had to take an excedrin.
                              Homer: WHEN PIGS FLY!...
                              (a pig was in a cannon, and got shot accross the town, right were homer can see)

Homer: Doh!

Comment

Emperor Turhan: "How will this end?"

Kosh: "In fire"

Brother Theo: "I've heard you sing, Will. And take my word for it, that is not what the Good Lord had in mind when He said, "a joyful noise"

G'Kar: "And they made a very satisfying thump when they hit the ground"
                                "There is only one universe. It can only contain one life. It is me." - MorningLightMountain

Comment

Working...
                                X