No announcement yet.

JMS critique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think your Biggs/Christian assessment is quite fair. Just because someone is obscure or a relative unknown doesn't mean they're bad actors.
    sigpic
    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
      I don't think your Biggs/Christian assessment is quite fair. Just because someone is obscure or a relative unknown doesn't mean they're bad actors.
      Your right, it doesn't necessarily say that but it can lend credit to my claim.

Comment

well, in the case of richard biggs, he died unexpectedly a couple of years ago, so him having no other roles....well dying might have a LITTLE to do with it.

andreas katsulus had a long and varied career before he played G'Kar, so can he be judged as well?

and peter jurasik, well i haven't seen him in anything else, however mira furlan has a recurring role on lost, but that's pretty much all she's done since the show.

even melissa gilbert - who had how many seasons of Little House on her resume hasn't done much else since.

My point is, just because an actor on the show hasn't done anything/much since then doesn't necessarily = 'bad performance'. It just means that they aren't working. And there could be a ton of reasons for that.

Other than Shat's role on Boston Legal, few if any of the various trek actors are doing much. (picardo is hte most obvious exception. one out of what? 20+ actors????)
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

true, good point, but i was only using that to supplement my original statement regarding the actors portrayals

Comment

Well, Michael O'Hare is as wooden as they come, and while I've never met him in person, some people who have say he's as wooden IRL. So I agree that if you can't act against your own personality, it might say something about your skills. However, since JMS wanted a wooden character, it's just as well to cast someone who is guaranteed to be wooden, wouldn't you say?

I didn't like the way Ivanova was written in the first season, every other episode she said something about being Russian, and in the rest something about being a Jew or a latent telepath. By the end of the 4th season she was a great character, and nobody was sorrier than I about the way she left the show. I certainly think Claudia Christian is a better actor than Tracy Scoggins.

You may not like the way Dr. Franklin's personality was written, but that doesn't mean Richard Biggs is a bad actor.

There weren't any truly big name actors on B5, but most roles were very well cast IMO.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X