No announcement yet.

Why only live for 20 years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Earth... Vorlon technology must be exceptional to be self-sustaining for a million years.

Sheridan got enough time to shape the future as best he could, being a nexus and all. He finished his mission, it was time to rest.
    sigpic
    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
      That's the point. Everything doesn't have to snap into place just so. I expect that at least 99% of all human beings in history have died meaningless deaths, and odds are you and I will have the same fate. Just as well that TV shows it too, don't you say?
      99.999999% of human deaths are meaningless.

But this is a story. If we wanted realistic TV then we'd watch reality TV or soaps... and I think we all know how good they are!

Originally posted by maneth View Post
      Sheridan's death wasn't pointless. He showed the way for humanity
      He did that through life, not death.

Comment

Originally posted by Groove View Post
        But this brings me back to a very simple question: why did JMS decide that he had to only live 20 years? Why couldn't he have just been given his life back, end of story?
        Okay. Kosh told Sheridan twice, "If you go to Z'ha'dum, you will die."

Twice. Kosh felt that Sheridan had to be sufficiently warned about the very real danger that goes with a trip to Z'ha'dum.

Of course for the sake of the story Sheridan couldn't actually die at Z'ha'dum.

But... to make the consequences of Sheridan's decision to go to Z'ha'dum more severe, JMS gave Sheridan a limited time to live.

There had to have been real consequences for Sheridan's decision to go to Z'ha'dum. Does that answer your question?
        sigpic
        Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Nope. Kosh didn't have to say that.

And the death still could have been revived and indefinite.

Comment

Why are you so opposed to Sheridan's death? I thought it gave the story a poignancy it would otherwise have lacked. And yes, it showed that even when you do the right thing, there's often a price to pay.
            sigpic

Comment

B5 is an amazing series. It didn't need to have this aspect.

I'll never watch the last episode of season 5 ever again. Stories don't have to have a sad ending to have meaning. And Sheridan going to Z'ha'dum thinking that he would die is enough, he didn't have to die at all, as long as he thought he would. And dying but being revived indefinitely by the first one is a pretty damn good get-out clause anyway.

Comment

Yeah, well that's obviously your prerogative. Stories don't have to end happily either to be fulfilling. Besides which, I don't think his death was a tragedy for anyone except Delenn, who as far as I can tell never committed to anyone else even though she lived for at least another 80 years after his death.
                sigpic

Comment

Well i thought the last episode was excellent, with a beautiful and touching ending.

Comment

Sci-fi isn't about everyone becoming immortal and living forever. Sheridan was willing to die for what he believed in and he died. We all do, apparently. The death of Sheridan mirrored the end/death of Babylon 5, both the station and the show. I thought it was nicely done, AND Delenn's response of taking each day as it came, watching the sun rise and continuing to live was very inspiring. Death happens, but those left behind have to carry on.

Of course, Sheridan was probably just taken beyond the rim with Lorien and he's alive and well out there with him and the Shadows and Vorlons and Walkers and other First Ones and Valen/Sinclair...
                    sigpic
                    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by Groove View Post
                      JMS didn't have to have him die.
                      You're right, he didn't have to have him die, but he did. That was the story JMS chose to write. He didn't have to blow up B5, he didn't have to have Londo and G'Kar kill each other, he didn't have to have the Shadow war, but he did, because it was his story to write. Don't like it, then don't watch it. I for one thought the ending was powerful, poignant, and bittersweet. It made me feel something, and I think that's what JMS wanted.
                      All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

In my opinion, "Sleeping in Light" is the most emotionally effective thing ever committed to film.

And Sheridan's death, I thought, was the natural and logical progression of the choices he made.
                        sigpic
                        Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                          You're right, he didn't have to have him die, but he did. That was the story JMS chose to write. He didn't have to blow up B5, he didn't have to have Londo and G'Kar kill each other, he didn't have to have the Shadow war, but he did, because it was his story to write. Don't like it, then don't watch it. I for one thought the ending was powerful, poignant, and bittersweet. It made me feel something, and I think that's what JMS wanted.
                          I like everything he wrote in B5. I still consider B5 as the best scifi show
                          Stolen Kosovo
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dumper View Post
                            Well i thought the last episode was excellent, with a beautiful and touching ending.

I have to agree. B5 was the show which sucked me in to sci fi world. I love Sheridans and Delens love story and space battles were made quite good. In my opinion it was first good sci fi show

Comment

No one's pointed out that Sheridan is a Messianic figure yet. lol.

JMS has said as much that one of the main influences for B5 was the bible. Sheridan is the architypal mythological hero. He dies, he is reborn, and ascends.

It creates a mythology around him, much the same way as Valen. Valen died and was reborn again in a less literal way, Sinclar died and was reborn as Valen, after the last Shadow War he was taken beyond the Rim the same as Sheridan. "Some of the Minbari say he'll come back, but I never saw him again in my lifetime"

he's basically "Star Jesus"

that last episode has me in tears EVERY TIME I WATCH IT! lol

"Say goodbye to your sanity!"

Spoiler:

Mollari: Isn't it ironic? When I first came to Babylon 5 I had all the choices in the world, and no power at all... now I have all the power I could ever want... and no choice... no choice...

Mollari: It was something my father said. I was just a boy... and I heard him, crying in his room. I asked him what was wrong, and he said "My shoes are too tight... but it does not matter... because I have forgotten how to dance..." ...I never understood that until now... now... my shoes are too tight... and I have forgotten how to dance...
                              Vir: I don't understand...
                              Mollari: ...nor should you...

Comment

"Time... to rest now..."
                                sigpic
                                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Working...
                                X