No announcement yet.

B5 Ranks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right, thanks. I thought that might be it, but I wasn't sure.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
      Well, there's the Major Lianna Kemmer who took out her frustrations on Garibaldi for old "sins". She was in charge of Presidential security and wore the khaki of security, like Garibaldi.

What's Garibaldi's rank-equivalent anyway, he's the Chief of Security and always referred to as Mister.
      Originally posted by TheGreatLordGeorge View Post
      he is an NCO, as in Non- Comision officer
      his actual NCO rank is chief petty officer i believe.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Rangers Ranks

We know that Rangers in charge of Whitestars where called 'Captain' but was this an honourific title or actual position in the command structure and if so, what are the other Ranger Ranks.

We know that 'Ranger 1' is the highest rank in their organisation, but what fits in between?

Comment

Originally posted by Garth Claw View Post
          Rangers Ranks

We know that Rangers in charge of Whitestars where called 'Captain' but was this an honourific title or actual position in the command structure and if so, what are the other Ranger Ranks.

We know that 'Ranger 1' is the highest rank in their organisation, but what fits in between?
          My guess is that they have some other kind of organisational structure than ranks. Obviously they have a captain who is probably Among the most experienced Rangers and then specially trained for command. Kind of an Elite Ranger. But the rest are probably just your average crewman with no particular rank other than Trainee or full ranger. If the Captain dies in battle then probably there will be a command structure in terms of who would take over in battle, but other than that there isn't really a command structure other than via experience.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I would expect the Rangers to follow Minbari ranks, given that they were set up by Valen and existed for a 1000 years without Terran influence. I can only remember two Minbari ranks mentioned on the show, Shai Alyt and Alyt, both warrior caste ranks.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by peragrin View Post
              I agree it is odd, but it is also an odd situation. Presidential security would have overriding concerns. She can always explain the situation to her superiors which would most likely be the generals in charge, who could then grant her the authority to order around superior officers under certian limitations.

By the way i too am going through all 5 seasons of B5 again. just because.
              Yeah, me too. just because. But it's true. Y would Generals and majors be in charge of ships? it doesn't happen!!

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
              wasn't the major in command because his superior had just been killed in a fight with some Earthforce destroyers, right before arriving at B5?
              the CO being a general, who shouldn't command a ship

Rangers Ranks

Captain is the honourific for whoever is in command of a ship, no matter the rank. If all the command staff were killed and a midshipman(modern ensign) took over, they would be referred to as 'Captain' when issuing orders.
              The rank of 'Captain', as in one higher than 'Commander', is actually taken from the old 'Post-Captain' rank, and are far less common than Commander. It's just tradiotn that the most senior officer is called captain.
              sigpic
              385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

That true for current Earth navies, but the Rangers aren't an Earth organisation, so there traditions and chains of command could /would be different.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                  Chief Warrant officer

That true for current Earth navies, but the Rangers aren't an Earth organisation, so there traditions and chains of command could /would be different.
                  True. But I believe that as they hold no official military rankings amongst any of the alien militaries, it would honourific.
                  sigpic
                  385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                    no Chief Warrant Officer, meaning he was an officer
                    sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4907261/1/Golden_Dawn

^ My new fanfic ^ Enjoy and please subscribe!

(Shameless advertising ftw)

Comment

Originally posted by Amann View Post
                      no Chief Warrant Officer, meaning he was an officer
                      Back of the room. A warran toffice ris the highest NCO, such as a sergeant major.
                      sigpic
                      385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

There are only three types of Ranger rank:

Entil'zha (One Who Creates the Future)
                        The title bestowed upon Valen when he founded the Rangers. After he disappeared beyond the Rim, the title was kept vacant in respect until 2259 when it was bestowed upon Jeffery Sinclair. Delenn, John Sheridan and Susan Ivanova would all subsequently take on this title.

Anla'shok Na (Ranger One)
                        The title the intervening commanders of the Rangers took between Valen's departure and Sinclair's acceptance of the rank of Entil'zha. Sinclair spent some time under this title in his training of the Anla'shok before accepting his role as Entil'zha. It appears to have been abandoned when Delenn takes the role of Entil'zha.

Anla'shok (Ranger)
                        The average Ranger like Marcus Cole. All are equal and answer only to the Entil'zha/Anla'shok Na unless told otherwise by them.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudolph View Post
                          There are only three types of Ranger rank:

Entil'zha (One Who Creates the Future)
                          The title bestowed upon Valen when he founded the Rangers. After he disappeared beyond the Rim, the title was kept vacant in respect until 2259 when it was bestowed upon Jeffery Sinclair. Delenn, John Sheridan and Susan Ivanova would all subsequently take on this title.

Anla'shok Na (Ranger One)
                          The title the intervening commanders of the Rangers took between Valen's departure and Sinclair's acceptance of the rank of Entil'zha. Sinclair spent some time under this title in his training of the Anla'shok before accepting his role as Entil'zha. It appears to have been abandoned when Delenn takes the role of Entil'zha.

Anla'shok (Ranger)
                          The average Ranger like Marcus Cole. All are equal and answer only to the Entil'zha/Anla'shok Na unless told otherwise by them.
                          Actually there are two other ranks used by the Rangers. Shok Na is the captain/commanding officer of any vessel under the jurisdiction of the Anla'shok. Shok Nali is designated as the first officer. All other subordinates are essentially just Anla'shok (Ranger). These ranks are established in Legend of the Rangers.

It's also worth noting that the literal translation of Anla'shok from Minbari is "the application of force."
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                            Actually there are two other ranks used by the Rangers. Shok Na is the captain/commanding officer of any vessel under the jurisdiction of the Anla'shok. Shok Nali is designated as the first officer. All other subordinates are essentially just Anla'shok (Ranger). These ranks are established in Legend of the Rangers.
                            I get the strong feeling that Shok Na and Nali are revolving ranks, kind of like "Commodore" used to be in the early US Navy - all the captains at the post would pick someone to be Commodore for a year, next year they'd pick another one, the next another. Thus leadership was fairly distributed, and captains didn't get hauled away from their ships on admin duty for too terribly long.
                            Sincerely,

Kevin Long
                            (The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0)
                            http://www.kevin-long.com

Comment

Working...
                            X