• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And Vir, oh Vir:

Mr Morden: "Anything I can do to help?"
    Vir: "Hmm. Short of dying, no, can't think of a thing."

Mr Morden "What do you want?"
    Vir: "I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I'd look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like this. Can you and your associates arrange it for me, Mr. Morden?"

I loved it when he actually got to do it a season later... more cheering.
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
      And Vir, oh Vir:

Mr Morden: "Anything I can do to help?"
      Vir: "Hmm. Short of dying, no, can't think of a thing."

Mr Morden "What do you want?"
      Vir: "I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I'd look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like this. Can you and your associates arrange it for me, Mr. Morden?"
      Fantastic quotes! I love Vir!

I had to add that quote to my signature. It made my day.
      Last edited by manybleemsago; 08 January 2006, 07:53 PM.

Good sci fi is about special effects. Great sci fi is about people.

Comment

The music for B5 was absolutely stunning, and mostly live orchestral arrangements, I believe. We've got most of the soundtracks and I can pretty much identify which eps went with each piece. The Sleeping in Light track makes me cry as if in mourning every danged time!

Another powerful scene was the one where Londo tricks that slimeball Lord Refa in No Hiding Place - the choir singing "up" in the heavens of the Space Station while "down below" on the Narn homeworld the sinner is getting his due.... <shivers>

And as a one-off, A Late Delivery from Avalon remains my favorite ep. JMS did Arthurian legend with such dignity. Such a wonderful tie-in to the Bab5 mythology, and we even get to see the poor gunner's face at that fateful moment in the Earth-Minbari first contact in the movie, In The Beginning.(The BEST of the movies, IMO.)

And on a lighter note, who can forget that graphic sex scene between Ivonova and the alien ambassador in season 2's Acts of Sacrifice?

JMS made every second of his meager 40-some-odd minutes count! That's why just about every line, every act, is classic.
        Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
        "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
        One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
        resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
        confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
        A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
        The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
          And on a lighter note, who can forget that graphic sex scene between Ivonova and the alien ambassador in season 2's Acts of Sacrifice?
          With such awsome sex scenes as Ivanova-Ambassador, additional T&A isn't needed

Comment

MORE Babylon 5 perls of wisdom.

Marcus Cole: I used to think it was a terrible thing that life was so unfair. Then I thought, 'what if life *were* fair, and all of the terrible things that happen to us came because we really deserved them?' Now I take great comfort in the general unfairness and hostility of the universe.

Captain John Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
            Susan Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
            Captain John Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up.
            Susan Ivanova: In that case we're all going to die slow, agonizing deaths.
            Captain John Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

Sinclair: I'm still waiting for an explanation, gentlemen.
            Ambassador Londo Mollari: Yes, and I'm prepared to give you one, Commander, as soon as the room stops spinning.
            Sinclair: This station creates gravity by rotation. It never stops spinning.
            Ambassador Londo Mollari: Well, you begin to see my problem.

Sinclair: Problem with the transfer tube?
            Talia: No, not really. It seems like every time I get into the tube, Mr. Garibaldi is there. It's like he knows.
            Sinclair: Talia, Mr. Garibaldi is many things, but he's not omniscient.
            [Garibaldi appears]
            Talia: I think I'll take the stairs.
            Sinclair: I think I'll join you.

Sinclair: Ready?
            Delenn: Why is it that your people always ask someone if they are ready right before you are about to do something massively unwise?
            Sinclair: Tradition.

Ambassador Londo Mollari: Now, landing thrusters... landing thrusters, hmm. Now if I were a landing thruster, which one of these would I be?

Zathras: Zathras is used to being beast of burden to other people's needs. Very sad life... probably have very sad death, but at least there is symmetry.

Susan Ivanova: It's just that I've always had trouble waking up when it is dark outside.
            Commander Jeffrey David Sinclair: Commander, we're on a space station. It is always dark outside.
            [forlornly] Susan Ivanova: I know... I know...

Lennier : Initiating getting-the-hell-out-of-here manuver.
            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Next to "I'm Russian... we know these things...", this is my most favourite Ivanova quote...

" 'Who am I'? I am Susan Ivanova, Commander, daughter of Andrei and Sophie Ivanova. I am the right hand of vengeance, and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth... I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

sigpic
              "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

The Babylon 5 mantra:
                "Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out. Babylon Control out. [Sigh] Civilians. [Looking up] Just kidding about the God part -- no offense."
                Lt. Commander Susan Ivanova, Voice in the Wilderness Part I

Comment

I am missing B5 more and more everyday.
                  The fifth season wasn’t as great as the rest of the show but it wasn’t horrendous...didn’t ruin the show for me. And the spin-off I actually liked, except I don’t know why they went to the bad uniforms and the stupid bracelets. The "back of the hand" communicators were way cooler... I think they went to StarTrekie in that one as far as uniform design, but it was still in the B5 universe. I would have liked to have seen much more of that universe.

Comment

With Bab 5, the sum was always greater than its parts. A good overall yarn, but a lot of mediocre to bad eps scattered throught out the run.
                    My ratings are Season 1- 2 stars, Seaon 2- 2 1/2 stars, Season 3- 4 stars, Season 4- 3 stars, Season 5- 2 1/2 stars. All out of 4 of course.

Comment

OH MY GOD!!!!!!

all of you are getting a little nostalgic, not a bad thing but the thread could be doing with being named the B5 quote thread.

i haven't seen any of the series but i have heard nothing but good things on it, its weird i like sci fi shows but i never really go around to seeing the show B5, i guess there is always one show in you life that you never get to see at all, dang theres always one that slips through your fingers!!!
                      For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                        With such awsome sex scenes as Ivanova-Ambassador, additional T&A isn't needed
                        <Nods> Isn't it interesting how the season with all the T&A is also widely considered the worst of all five seasons?

Get a clue, PTB; SF is a genre. SF fans, though not in any sense prudes, will choose intelligent plot and dialogue over T&A every time.
                        Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                        "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                        One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                        resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                        confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                        A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                        The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Benj
                          I own the entire series on DVD and i am watching every episode again from the beginning. I am very much enjoying Season 1 much more so than when i watched it first time round, things make much more sense now. A gem of a series, i think it will not be repeated.
                          Agreed, I too own the series, and was VERY impressed with it. It was sad when the last set came out, the series could have went on longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar
                            OH MY GOD!!!!!!

all of you are getting a little nostalgic, not a bad thing but the thread could be doing with being named the B5 quote thread.

i haven't seen any of the series but i have heard nothing but good things on it, its weird i like sci fi shows but i never really go around to seeing the show B5, i guess there is always one show in you life that you never get to see at all, dang theres always one that slips through your fingers!!!
                            Sorry about the quotes, once I get going…..

I would so love to loan you my DVDs. I am always up for recruiting as many fans to quality shows as I can. I know it probably doesnt do much good but I keep thinking it helps get across to any PTB that good scifi has a place in the world.

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                            <Nods> Isn't it interesting how the season with all the T&A is also widely considered the worst of all five seasons?

Get a clue, PTB; SF is a genre. SF fans, though not in any sense prudes, will choose intelligent plot and dialogue over T&A every time.
                            You are 100% correct. I consider most SF fans to be a bit more intelligent then you everyday average TV fans. I think they would take good plots and fun action adventure over T&A any day. In fact, T&A seems to bring down the show a notch or two. I also think most SF fans like their female not to be preceived as bimbos.

Example:
                            I know a lot of Star Trek fans who liked Counsiler Troy 1000x better once she got in uniform. She was always a pretty decent female character (compared to say tasha yar) but it was always hard to take her serious as a starfleet officer until she started acting like one.

switch gears
                            One of the reason B5 ruled over star trek (IMHO) is the sense that this could really happen in the future. Just from the design of the ships, the fact people didnt wear spandex but normal looking suits, people still liked sports (other then water polo), people still used money, watched TV, read newspapers (funny scene with Delenne), drank coffee (Ivonva\Garabalie cracked me up), used the post office, made italian food, visit gift shops.... all the kinds of things we do today, they were just doing them in space. Sorry DS9 fans but I never quite got that sense of "realism" from that show.

Comment

And you have to get the Swedish Meatball saga. It's a classic.

Comment

I'm helping my sister move her stuff and we uncovered 4 more B5 tapes.

I'm ecstatic...today we watched episodes starting from late 3rd season, and finished out the marathon tonight with "The Summoning". Awesome stuff happening!

Good sci fi is about special effects. Great sci fi is about people.

Comment

Working...
                                X