The Covid19 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by epg20 View Post

water is one of the easiest things to clean, you can just google how to do that. I remember a show on the either the discovery channel or the learning show that creted a "reality"show that they pretended that a global pandemic killed most of the people and a group of strangers were forced together so they could survive, one of the things they had to do was create a way to clean water, they used layers of sand and charcoal,REAL charcoal, like from burnt wood, not bricketts, then they ran water through it and then boiled it to kill off any pathagens, so there is that.
    the show was called The Colony

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=r...=1585426444418

Comment

water is one of the easiest things to clean, you can just google how to do that. I remember a show on the either the discovery channel or the learning show that creted a "reality"show that they pretended that a global pandemic killed most of the people and a group of strangers were forced together so they could survive, one of the things they had to do was create a way to clean water, they used layers of sand and charcoal,REAL charcoal, like from burnt wood, not bricketts, then they ran water through it and then boiled it to kill off any pathagens, so there is that.
      You can filter water through sand, also.. then boil.

As far as the reality show, there is a book, called Earth Abides by George R Stewart which tells the story of a man who was isolated when an epidemic killed most of the human race. Good read, particularly nowdays.

Comment

Seems there is a new war of words between the federal govt. and our state govt. due the extraordinarily high number of infections in the NYC area. The feds are thinking about a quarantine of travelers coming from New York, which is a perfectly reasonable reaction to the fact that people are ignoring the stay at home orders, and NY state officials don't like this idea.. Oh, well, that's the business of politics. Fighting.

But here is the better question. In times like this, what kind of idiot willingly gets into a small, thin, pressurized tube with nothing but recycled air and gets into the seats provided which basically cram everyone together like sardines in a can (a.k.a. an Airliner) ?

And why aren't the airlines shut down?

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
          You can filter water through sand, also.. then boil.

As far as the reality show, there is a book, called Earth Abides by George R Stewart which tells the story of a man who was isolated when an epidemic killed most of the human race. Good read, particularly nowdays.
          yes, that removes the particulate matter, BUT, the charcoal, removes SOME potential toxins.

Comment

people ARE hoarding the isopropyl alcohol and the bleach, and all the other things, BUT most people don't think about the hardware stores, there is no food or any thing else there to protect them selves so people ignore it...
            Shhhhhhhhhhh..... area's best kept secret. One of our local hardware stores got wiped out a few weeks ago, and the news made the local newspaper! There was still another store somewhere else where I found things (but didn't need yet), and I advised the clerk to keep quiet, lest the world descend on that place, too..!

...sounds like you got this, the only thing i can suggest is that if it is wrapped in plastic, then all you really need to do is run it under warm water, germs it will just slide off. and as for you being able to get some meat, I HATE YOU ;-D...
            I stopped buying meat in supermarkets years ago (meat there either tasted awful...possibly rancid, or seemed too gamey). We have a wonderful butcher's shop that the whole (area) world descends upon, because their products are fresh and higher quality. Prices are a tad higher, but it's worth the trip, and peace of mind, as to knowing how they treat their products. I get most of my produce there, now instead, too, because of the *freshness* and quality being much better than the local supermarkets in the area.

when it comes to gloves, i would suggest changing gloves, to cotton gloves, that way there is no real worry about it being contaminated , like i said, covid doesn't do well on organic things, it absorbs the moisture...
            Gloves... I learned to use the latex/rubber gloves from working in the medical world. There is a way to remove them without touching the contaminated surfaces, but it's a PITA... plus, the ones I tried out are reusable. Even cotton ones (which are still porous to some degrees) would require the same removal process, then bag away into a reserved bag while driving home, and cleaning after. So, it's just less work to use the latex (IMHO). Mine are lined, but still need baby powder now and then to reduce sweating.

Oh, and I noticed the entire shelf of nitrile gloves and disposable other gloves got bought out. There was still a bunch of reusable latex gloves (for dish-washing, cleaning, etc.) hanging on the wall.

I also work(ed) with someone who teaches OSHA regulations. She was poo-poo'ing my --scarf with a filter placed between 2 layers-- suggestion in lieu of being unable to get a mask. She was convinced it wasn't good enough to protect you, and you needed the N95 mask for best protection. She wasn't listening to alternative solutions, if the N95 masks weren't available. She was insisting every place needed to be shut down, if they couldn't access that type of masks (she was another super-paranoid soul). I worked in a medical environment before, so I learned what to do when one had to get *creative* in protecting oneself from germs, etc.

Seems there is a new war of words between the federal govt. and our state govt. due the extraordinarily high number of infections in the NYC area. The feds are thinking about a quarantine of travelers coming from New York, which is a perfectly reasonable reaction to the fact that people are ignoring the stay at home orders, and NY state officials don't like this idea.. Oh, well, that's the business of politics. Fighting.
            I kinda mentioned this earlier. TWO more weeks of quarantine. It would apply to ALL of NY, not just NYC. Interstate travel would be frowned upon too, so that might hurt incoming deliveries from (nationwide traveling) cross-country truckers.

But here is the better question. In times like this, what kind of idiot willingly gets into a small, thin, pressurized tube with nothing but recycled air and gets into the seats provided which basically cram everyone together like sardines in a can (a.k.a. an Airliner) ?

And why aren't the airlines shut down?
            Airlines are another petri dish science experiment, IMO.

However, if the last line of transport for cargo / freight cannot come into your state via truckers traveling from one state to another, only the trains and planes might be left. Boats only work if you have any seashore and boat docks. Otherwise, the airlines would be the only source of getting food from California and other states or countries into your area, if cross-state travel is blocked. Most of our lettuce and produce has California or Arizona listed on them as the source of origin. So, expect NO produce outside of your own state. For local farmers, that would be helpful, but wouldn't start until summer harvests are in full swing.

Also, if the local farm foods have bugs and germs on them (for being loose, and not pre-packed), for single / weighted items for buying, that won't help either. I love home grown food crops, but some of that produce has been picked over by the wild critters in the area, too (wormy caterpillar insects especially in the corn). Eeeeeeeeeeeeewww..! Yes, I (still) get squeamish cleaning those things... and I grew up in the rural farmlands with related food-items.

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
              Also, if the local farm foods have bugs and germs on them (for being loose, and not pre-packed), for single / weighted items for buying, that won't help either. I love home grown food crops, but some of that produce has been picked over by the wild critters in the area, too (wormy caterpillar insects especially in the corn). Eeeeeeeeeeeeewww..! Yes, I (still) get squeamish cleaning those things... and I grew up in the rural farmlands with related food-items.
              I was raised in the burbs, but we would spend the summers on mobile bay at the place my great grandfather bought and it got handed all the way down to my father, he sold it after he had 2 out board motors stolen, but it was a great place, to get the freshest crabs you can imagine...(drool)...sorry, we used to catch cook them and eat them all in the same day, the gumbo was better the next day, but WOW it was still so YUMMY.

Comment

Since many paper products are still in short visual supply, here is a few suggestions I heard about (then tested its use) or came up with in order to make an existing supply last a bit longer, if necessary. Some of this might be helpful if our current "lock-down / shelter in place" orders from TPTB last longer than 2 weeks or more than a month or so.

Obviously, use more real plates and kitchenware items, than paper plates or paper cups, but don't over use the water-cleaning levels if dealing with regional water restrictions.

I was able to stretch a single roll of paper towels, 123 sheets, into lasting about 4 days. We use it for cleaning up greasy food messes (where using a sponge isn't appropriate... such as maybe absorb the greases from greasy pizza or in cooked bacon, before eating the bacon), and some lunch items (to provide as a napkin).. Oh, and remove bird doo off the cars (then toss the dirty, water-soaked, paper towel out -- in a plastic baggy)... this is when the whole car isn't being put thru a car washing on a daily basis, and/or dealing with mandatory water restrictions... no *complete* car washes at home).

I did invest in buying a 10-pack of cotton/linen cloth towels to use instead of the paper towels (seems a 10-pack should be sufficient for now). So, I designated some of those for drying (after washing) the produce item and cutting it up. Easy to white wash in washer. A few towels are being designated for other uses, such as (keeping separate) after washing incoming store items down--drying those incoming groceries and other products from shopping, due to the COVID-19 virus possibly attached to those item's surfaces. Also, a few cotton-linen towels can substitute the paper napkin supplies, and help save in that area, too.

Any towels used for window cleaning can also be done with old, discarded T-shirts... same with polishing furniture. But the really dirty towels soaked with those sorts of cleaners, I think need to be hand-washed than machine washed. Our new washer advised NO harsh grease or alcoholic soaked materials, due to the potential "flammability" aspects. Yeah... nasty stuff... must be hand-washed, but wear waterproofed gloves during the cleaning and rinsing process..!

Oh, and as far as washing groceries and other items down----besides using *reusable-washable* latex or rubber gloves to handle those items, I also designated a special (different color) sponge to wipe those things down... different from the regular sponge used for cleaning dishes, placemats, or countertops, etc.
                Last edited by SGalisa; 28 March 2020, 03:23 PM. Reason: fix typos, added more info

Comment

*pats Belgium on head* "Good country. Good little country"

I didn't know cats could get this. What I read from the AVMA says they can't. Hmmmm.
                  It's debatable but the symptoms were consistent, and its owner had been infected.

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                  Not if you make it illegal for them to fire you for health reasons where the government itself was saying you have to stay home. You may have to go to court to prove they fired you for health reasons to get compensation, but this happens all the time. And if you get fired, you go on unemployment, which is what you'd be on anyway if your job was closed because of a lockdown.
                  I'm a union rep in my company. Trust me that companies do all sorts of things which aren't quite allowed, and find ways to get their way. Sure, as employee we have plenty of rights and we sure can file a complaint, but sometimes things can go bust.

Second, we have the annual gift germ exchanging season known as Christmas.
                  Happy Sneeze-mas!!

One of our government folks wants to implement testing for antibodies when we are allowed to go back to work, instead of cooped up from home, to check who could safely go back to work having been infected and who would have to remain working from home for a little while longer.

One of the expert doctors considers it a good idea, as do I, if only to maintain a certain level of protection towards those with a comprimised immunity system.

Also, went for a 6 kilometer walk around the block today, and discovered 3 new footpaths I didn't even know existed in my neighborhood. I'm finally getting to know my city.
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Airlines are another petri dish science experiment, IMO.

However, if the last line of transport for cargo / freight cannot come into your state via truckers traveling from one state to another, only the trains and planes might be left. Boats only work if you have any seashore and boat docks. Otherwise, the airlines would be the only source of getting food from California and other states or countries into your area, if cross-state travel is blocked. Most of our lettuce and produce has California or Arizona listed on them as the source of origin. So, expect NO produce outside of your own state. For local farmers, that would be helpful, but wouldn't start until summer harvests are in full swing.
                    Oh, there is no need to close cargo only air travel. Just like Trucking, Ships or whatever, cargo can't spread the disease.

But passenger air travel? They should have made an announcement 3 weeks ago, announcing the mandatory shutdown of all passenger airlines in one week, and then two weeks ago, do it.

Sounds draconian, doesn't it? Well, it seems that the people won't behave on their own, so..

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

One of our government folks wants to implement testing for antibodies when we are allowed to go back to work, instead of cooped up from home, to check who could safely go back to work having been infected and who would have to remain working from home for a little while longer.

One of the expert doctors considers it a good idea, as do I, if only to maintain a certain level of protection towards those with a comprimised immunity system.
                      You know there is a but here, right?

But what about reports of some guy getting infected by it a second time? Totally unproven as of yet, but the claim has been made. We ought to figure that out first.

Comment

Since many paper products are still in short visual supply, here is a few suggestions I heard about (then tested its use) or came up with in order to make an existing supply last a bit longer, if necessary. Some of this might be helpful if our current "lock-down / shelter in place" orders from TPTB last longer than 2 weeks or more than a month or so.

Obviously, use more real plates and kitchenware items, than paper plates or paper cups, but don't over use the water-cleaning levels if dealing with regional water restrictions.

I was able to stretch a single roll of paper towels, 123 sheets, into lasting about 4 days. We use it for cleaning up greasy food messes (where using a sponge isn't appropriate... such as maybe absorb the greases from greasy pizza or in cooked bacon, before eating the bacon), and some lunch items (to provide as a napkin).. Oh, and remove bird doo off the cars (then toss the dirty, water-soaked, paper towel out -- in a plastic baggy)... this is when the whole car isn't being put thru a car washing on a daily basis, and/or dealing with mandatory water restrictions... no *complete* car washes at home).

I did invest in buying a 10-pack of cotton/linen cloth towels to use instead of the paper towels (seems a 10-pack should be sufficient for now). So, I designated some of those for drying (after washing) the produce item and cutting it up. Easy to white wash in washer. A few towels are being designated for other uses, such as (keeping separate) after washing incoming store items down--drying those incoming groceries and other products from shopping, due to the COVID-19 virus possibly attached to those item's surfaces. Also, a few cotton-linen towels can substitute the paper napkin supplies, and help save in that area, too.

Any towels used for window cleaning can also be done with old, discarded T-shirts... same with polishing furniture. But the really dirty towels soaked with those sorts of cleaners, I think need to be hand-washed than machine washed. Our new washer advised NO harsh grease or alcoholic soaked materials, due to the potential "flammability" aspects. Yeah... nasty stuff... must be hand-washed, but wear waterproofed gloves during the cleaning and rinsing process..!

Oh, and as far as washing groceries and other items down----besides using *reusable-washable* latex or rubber gloves to handle those items, I also designated a special (different color) sponge to wipe those things down... different from the regular sponge used for cleaning dishes, placemats, or countertops, etc.
                        there IS one other way to get paper products, subscribe to your local PRINTED news paper, that way you can have it to use as toilet paper, sponges, what ever, also you can use printer paper, though you would need to get it wet first then let it dry then you can use as what ever so there is that, you STILL have phone books that is also the paper used in news print, then there is just old rags, it may not be what you want, but you can use rags as toilet paper and then you can wash the...DREN... out of it and re use it, sort of like a washable diaper, though you would need a "diaper pail" for the family. I know that it sounds disgusting, BUT, the only difference between that and a baby is the age and size of the baby, and the amount of DREN you would need to clean up, of course you could also use the shower to wash off back there too.
                        Last edited by epg20; 28 March 2020, 06:07 PM. Reason: to add more frelling info

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

I'm a union rep in my company. Trust me that companies do all sorts of things which aren't quite allowed, and find ways to get their way. Sure, as employee we have plenty of rights and we sure can file a complaint, but sometimes things can go bust.
                          I'm aware of that, I'm not saying no company would try anything shady, (I mean right now some Gamestop in MA is apparently making their employees to go to work in stores even though their stores are supposed to be closed because they're non-essential, but Gamestop is trying to get around that by saying that they're not actually letting customers inside, they're picking up at the door), but since that happens all the time any way no matter what, why would that even be a reason for why what I suggested couldn't work.
                          sigpic

Comment

One thing that is pissing me off about this whole thing is a ridiculous bunch of new set-asides that are coming into existence over this.

First, let me say this isn't sour grapes. I am old enough and have pre-existing crap that qualifies me for this crap.

Grocery stores & others are starting to reserve the first hours of the day for 60 and over, or those at risk, They are also creating preferred parking spots for various groups. Several people have outright said that it's to give the seniors first crack at stocks that came in overnight. I don't care if eligible or not, this is just flat out wrong. Younger folks don't deserve to get scarce supplies? But I guess that's what we are these days. The United States of Entitlement.

Comment

You know there is a but here, right?

But what about reports of some guy getting infected by it a second time? Totally unproven as of yet, but the claim has been made. We ought to figure that out first.
                              The reports of people in China? One if the doctors there was saying that their tests are only 30%-50% accurate, that they get a lot of false negatives, so that might be one of the reasons for that. That whistle-blower doctor who died there early on apparently had 2 negative tests before he actually ended up testing positive. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be looked into, but that's not a reason not to start testing people for antibodies. There was was a test to do that recently approved here. People can't stay in lockdown forever, living in fear that they might catch something and die.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                                I'm aware of that, I'm not saying no company would try anything shady, (I mean right now some Gamestop in MA is apparently making their employees to go to work in stores even though their stores are supposed to be closed because they're non-essential, but Gamestop is trying to get around that by saying that they're not actually letting customers inside, they're picking up at the door), but since that happens all the time any way no matter what, why would that even be a reason for why what I suggested couldn't work.
                                Well, I guess we sorta agree. But I think that more businesses than not would sell their ethics for a nickel on the balance sheet. It's the way companies are run. Remember the 1980s? "Wall Street", Gordon Gecko and "Greed is Good" ?
                                We raised an entire generation based on that attitude. Guess where those folks are now?

Comment

Working...
                                X