• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

welp looks like Sanctity of Life does have its limits :/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/te...ce/ar-BB11N147

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      Companies can pay lawyers. Workers can't. Game over.
      People take companies to court all the time for discrimination and the like, it's also really bad press if a company is firing workers with a chronic respitory illness if it's mandated that they stay home for their health and so that the Healthcare system doesn't get overburdened.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
        People take companies to court all the time for discrimination and the like, it's also really bad press if a company is firing workers with a chronic respitory illness if it's mandated that they stay home for their health and so that the Healthcare system doesn't get overburdened.
        But CEO's generally don't care about those workers enough. They want to see profit and if you're not gonna show up for work, what good are you to them when there are abled bodied others who can do your job and don't have to stay home because of poor health or reasons.

In other news... our lockdown has been extended to the 19th of April, and we'll probably get another extension after that until the 3rd of May.

Got news today from our CEO that from the 13th of April onwards -- and likely sooner -- each of us employees (approx. 1500 of us) will be going on technical unemployement for 1 day each. This rule will apply to everyone, from the lowest category to the CEO himself. We're in it together.

Our numbers so far:

3042 patients in hospitals across the country
        690 in ICU
        858 released from the hospital
        289 deaths
        1 infected cat (but it recovered -- human to cat)
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Sorry, dear. I've played this game more than once when I was younger and dumber. The business has more resources than I do, so they win.
          Unless you have some group backing you, it's game over before it starts.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

In other news... our lockdown has been extended to the 19th of April, and we'll probably get another extension after that until the 3rd of May.
            *pats Belgium on head* "Good country. Good little country"

Our numbers so far:

1 infected cat (but it recovered -- human to cat)
            I didn't know cats could get this. What I read from the AVMA says they can't. Hmmmm.

Comment

But CEO's generally don't care about those workers enough. They want to see profit and if you're not gonna show up for work, what good are you to them when there are abled bodied others who can do your job and don't have to stay home because of poor health or reasons.
              Not if you make it illegal for them to fire you for health reasons where the government itself was saying you have to stay home. You may have to go to court to prove they fired you for health reasons to get compensation, but this happens all the time. And if you get fired, you go on unemployment, which is what you'd be on anyway if your job was closed because of a lockdown.

When people go on disability or maternity leave or whatever, most places hire temp workers to replace them. My son worked a temp job doing maintenance at a zoo. He worked there until the regular employee got off disability and then he was let go. My brother's wife also worked a temp job as as an executive assistant until someone got back from maternity leave. People going on disability and returning to there jobs isn't a new thing.
              sigpic

Comment

Sorry, dear. I've played this game more than once when I was younger and dumber. The business has more resources than I do, so they win.
                If people can take a case all the way to the Supreme Court because they were discriminated against because of their race or their sexuality, someone can take a company to court if they were fired because of a health reason that they were forced to stay home for by the government itself. Some anti-discrimination group or whatever would be all over it if that happened.
                sigpic

Comment

If people can take a case all the way to the Supreme Court because they were discriminated against because of their race or their sexuality, someone can take a company to court if they were fired because of a health reason that they were forced to stay home for by the government itself.
                  Remember what I said about having some group backing you? Either race or sexuality will garner support from well-heeled groups. On the other hand, a single white male worker, not so much. As I said, I've played this game before.

When's the last time you heard of an individual making it that far in the courts with no financial backing?

Comment

Remember what I said about having some group backing you? Either race or sexuality will garner support from well-heeled groups. On the other hand, a single white male worker, not so much. As I said, I've played this game before.

When's the last time you heard of an individual making it that far in the courts with no financial backing?
                    When they have a lawyer who can see a huge payday and tons of media attention from filing the lawsuit. And some anti-discrimination group would be all over something like that. (I added a line about that in my last post after I hit submit).

Just to add: I mentioned it in my reply to Falcon Horus, if this hypothetical person in this hypothetical seceario gets fired, they end up on unemployment, which is what they would have been on if their job was still closed because of a lockdown anyway. Getting fired because you were forced by the government to stay home because of a pandemic is not your fault.
                    Last edited by VampyreWraith; 27 March 2020, 05:18 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

I smashed the crap out of my employer at work with no lawyer in court when I got fired for someone stealing our safe (which was bolted to the concrete floor).
                      It can be done dude, it's not easy but it can be done.
                      sigpic
                      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                        I smashed the crap out of my employer at work with no lawyer in court when I got fired for someone stealing our safe (which was bolted to the concrete floor).
                        It can be done dude, it's not easy but it can be done.
                        Oh, I've won disagreements with former employers, sometimes in a spectacular fashion. Ever shut a restaurant down cold on a Friday night as a way of quitting?

Depends what type of fight it is though. Anything involving legal or the govt. which looks at legal, they win.

I learned not to engage in fights I can't win before you were born.

Comment

IF...covid is susceptible to the warmer weather thing, then things should be starting to lessen up down here in florida, it has ben in the lower to mid 80's for the last almost 14 days, this time of year is generally in the lower to mid 70's in the pan handle, but it might allow people to go out to get the fresh air to make people feel better, just go out in the back yard and chat... well, TALK LOUDLY to your neighbors, but if it is susceptible to being separate then this is something that might show it.

here is a question that I have, what about the UV out there, if I am remembering correctly UV kills germs and bacteria, is it being used to help kill covid, IS covid susceptible to UV, what about black light, I remember when I went to the barber shop, the barber used to put his scissors and comb and other things in this special lighted box, I don't remember if this did any thing special or not, but I thought it might be a way to kill any germs or bacteria, yes I know about barbercide (thanks archer) but I don't remember seeing any there, though I could be forgetting it.

if the special masks need to be reused, though they shouldn't be, what about using things that aren't supposed to be used in something like that, like soaking the masks in bleach and water , a 50/50 combination of water and bleach, denatured alcohol is used in the commercial painting industry, , even turpentine can be used to clean the single use masks, I know that this seems harsh, but if the masks and gloves are running out and you are desperate, then you need to get creative, I mean even boiling water can be used to clean the single use masks.

Comment

I've read that some nurses have been slathering hand sanitizer or something on the surgical masks to reuse them.I've also read that that some nurses have been using garbage bags as protective equipment. The n95 masks have a little respirator cartridge in them or something I think, like those masks some construction workers use I think (I've seen those in the store before). I don't know how you'd be able to clean the cartridge on the n95 mask or if you can even clean them.

Add: here we go, thanks to Google lol https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcru...for-reuse/amp/
                            Last edited by VampyreWraith; 27 March 2020, 06:46 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by epg20 View Post
                              IF...covid is susceptible to the warmer weather thing, then things should be starting to lessen up down here in florida, it has ben in the lower to mid 80's for the last almost 14 days, this time of year is generally in the lower to mid 70's in the pan handle, but it might allow people to go out to get the fresh air to make people feel better, just go out in the back yard and chat... well, TALK LOUDLY to your neighbors, but if it is susceptible to being separate then this is something that might show it.

here is a question that I have, what about the UV out there, if I am remembering correctly UV kills germs and bacteria, is it being used to help kill covid, IS covid susceptible to UV, what about black light, I remember when I went to the barber shop, the barber used to put his scissors and comb and other things in this special lighted box, I don't remember if this did any thing special or not, but I thought it might be a way to kill any germs or bacteria, yes I know about barbercide (thanks archer) but I don't remember seeing any there, though I could be forgetting it.

if the special masks need to be reused, though they shouldn't be, what about using things that aren't supposed to be used in something like that, like soaking the masks in bleach and water , a 50/50 combination of water and bleach, denatured alcohol is used in the commercial painting industry, , even turpentine can be used to clean the single use masks, I know that this seems harsh, but if the masks and gloves are running out and you are desperate, then you need to get creative, I mean even boiling water can be used to clean the single use masks.
                              As I understand it, the thing about winter and people getting sick more often is twofold. First, many folks spend more time cooped up inside with other germ carriers. so propagation is easier. Second, we have the annual gift germ exchanging season known as Christmas.

Regarding masks, I have a small supply of them that I picked up years ago. I do not expect to be able to get more, so I'm re-using them. I've got small spray bottle filled with isopropyl alcohol which kills just about anything, and when I get home, I spritz the mask and hang it next to the car keys.

Comment

A while ago I looked up winter colds vs summer colds because I was curious since I usually tend to get colds in the summer instead of winter, and I remember reading that different viruses are more common during certain seasons, coronaviruses are more common during winter, while enterovirises(sp?) are more common during summer. I don't remember if a reason was given for why that was though. But yeah, people are more cooped up inside together during the winter, that's why more people tend to get sick then.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X