Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[edit] added section
    Originally posted by Womble View Post
    Actually, it is the government's business, unless you want to stand up and declare that tax evasion, money laundering etc. are not the government's concern.
    If I go to the store and buy something & pay cash, the store still charges the sales tax. So how is that tax evasion?
    It's just none of the government's business that I'm buying something.

Here in the People's Republic, you can't walk into the a store and buy a gun. The powers that be have chosen to ignore the 2nd amendment. But suppose I lived in a state where the 2nd amendment is in force. And I buy a gun from a retailer. Perfectly legal transaction, taxes paid, no laws broken.

Suppose 5 years from now, that state "forgets" the 2nd amendment, and passes laws to ban guns in the wake of another mass shooting. The government still has the financial records from my legal purchase, IF I didn't use cash. What's to stop it from harassing me or confiscating my legally purchased firearm?

Laws which would still apply in a cashless society.
    See above regarding the govt. ignoring laws at its whim, such as the 2nd amendment.

[/edit]

In which case, why have a government at all? Why not disband the US of A?

You and those guys from Seattle CHAZ might have more in common than you care to admit.
    Because you have to have a government of some type, or you will have anarchy.

“Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.”

― Winston S. Churchill

It other words, it's a necessary evil.
    Last edited by Annoyed; 17 June 2020, 06:31 AM. Reason: added thoughts

Comment

here is a question, what is going to happen on the up coming up holidays, the fourth you can spread out and watch fireworks and just be around the immediate family, but what about Halloween and thanks giving and Christmas and the REALLY BIG get together new years eve.

Comment

Originally posted by epg20 View Post
        here is a question, what is going to happen on the up coming up holidays, the fourth you can spread out and watch fireworks and just be around the immediate family, but what about Halloween and thanks giving and Christmas and the REALLY BIG get together new years eve.
        In the words of Alan Rickman, "Cancel Christmas"
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
          In the words of Alan Rickman, "Cancel Christmas"
          yeah, you would have a better chance getting Donald trump to join black lives matter.

Comment

Well, in my opinion, we are going to be mourning the loss of lives and feeling pretty lousy in general because of sickness, which is going to the inevitable result of opening things back up far too early.

If we want to be safe, we shouldn't be considering re-opening and going back to "normal" until such time as the masks, social distancing and all the other crap are no longer needed or recommended. Half-arsed measures result in half-arsed fixes.

We got hit by China's release of this, and it's going to cost us. A lot.

Comment

Unfortunately, Israel's excellent handling of the epidemic appears to not have held up for the long term. We've had over 350 cases of coronavirus registered yesterday - the kind of numbers not seen since March. The epicenter now is south Tel Aviv's population of illegal immigrants, and schoolchildren.

The President of Greece agreed with our Prime Minister about reopening Israeli tourism to Greece on August 1. Trouble is, Greece is part of the EU, and it's not enough for them to allow Israelis- the EU must do the same or their immigration policy will overrule Greece. I have a bad feeling that the September holiday season will be wasted just like Passover's. Which would pretty much be the nightmare scenario for all Israeli travel companies and airlines.
              If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Unfortunately, Israel's excellent handling of the epidemic appears to not have held up for the long term. We've had over 350 cases of coronavirus registered yesterday - the kind of numbers not seen since March. The epicenter now is south Tel Aviv's population of illegal immigrants, and schoolchildren.

The President of Greece agreed with our Prime Minister about reopening Israeli tourism to Greece on August 1. Trouble is, Greece is part of the EU, and it's not enough for them to allow Israelis- the EU must do the same or their immigration policy will overrule Greece. I have a bad feeling that the September holiday season will be wasted just like Passover's. Which would pretty much be the nightmare scenario for all Israeli travel companies and airlines.
                The handwriting was on the wall about this months ago; we don't understand this disease yet, even though "the authorities" like to claim that they do. Even based on what we do know, it was a foolish decision to re-open things when we did.

And regarding travel within the EU. Do you now see why it is a foolish decision to relinquish control of your country's borders to an outside agency? It doesn't matter if you're talking about the schoolyard playground or international relations. Any entity must look after its own interests, first, last and always, because the plain and simple truth is that no one else will.

All of this is going to be EXPENSIVE in many ways. It should now be clear why it is important to lay the blame for this at the proper feet, no matter how much it might hurt their feelings.

Comment

Locally we’ve already cancelled various fall and winter festivals and large gatherings. A place I’m involved with normally has holiday dinners that we’ve decided to not hold, as well as a large festival in October.

Three reasons: The events have a large over head and small profit margin so if numbers of attendees are lower (like only serve half the number of people for dinner) there’s not enough attendees to make a profit.
                  Many of the volunteers are older individuals that do not want to participate for fear of their health.
                  A fear of becoming a hotspot site and the inability to make reasonable changes to keep as many people as possible safe.

2020 is the year of the introvert. Families may gather, but large parties likely will not happen.

In the case of the facility I’m involved with, while they will not host dinners, if people want to rent the facility for their own events - which means they need a staff of 1 or 2 to open things up, not dozens to serve food, then that can happen.
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

NYC goes into phase 2 of NY state's reopening plan on Monday (if all goes according to plan). Retail stores and outdoor dining among other things are allowed to start back up. I work at a clothing store and we'll be opening to customers on Monday (we'll be open at 50% capacity, someone is supposed to stand at the door counting customers as they enter and leave, we're going to have hand sanitizer available at the door and check out, we've put tape on the floor a 6ft intervals, health and safely visual signs and messages playing in between songs ). I doubt a lot of customers will pay attention to most of the health and safety stuff given how they've been acting during the past week and a half we've been doing curbside pick up. We've actually had people trying to sneak into the store while the store associate would run out to drop things off into customers' cars after we specifically told them we weren't open to customers and it was order online/curbside pick up only. And almost no one followed the pickup directions they got in their email. I can't really say I'm looking forward to opening back up to customers.
                    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, you're in for a fun time. We did that 3? or so weeks ago. Makes you wish they would just close everything back up again.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                        2020 is the year of the introvert. Families may gather, but large parties likely will not happen.
                        With any luck, the '20s will be the decade of introverts. 'Bout time we got our place in the sun.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                          Yeah, you're in for a fun time. We did that 3? or so weeks ago. Makes you wish they would just close everything back up again.
                          Yes, it does. Some customer who didn't read her email and didn't know know what she was doing when she ordered her stuff online, called one of the store associates stupid today, when the girl brought out her order because her order wasn't the way she expected. I'm thankful that most of the time I'm at work, it requires me to be in early and/or in the back and not dealing with customers.

With any luck, the '20s will be the decade of introverts. 'Bout time we got our place in the sun.
                          I'm actually finding it so weird that everyone is around me keeps complaining about not being able to go out to eat, or go the the movies or hang out with a bunch of friends. I really can't relate to any of that, because I hardly ever go out anywhere so I've basically been doing what I normally do. It kind of sucked when I wasn't going to work because I was starting to withdraw from the outside world a bit too much and and was getting anxiety when I did have to go out to do something. But now that I'm back at work and back on a normal schedule, my anxiety over having to leave the house has gone down again (I've found that I need exposure and a schedule to manage my anxiety, and I don't do well with changes, especially last minute ones).
                          sigpic

Comment

the REAL sad part of this is it was going to happen eventually, people need money to live more now than they did back during the Spanish flu pandemic in 1918 – 1920 it may take two years or more and the world just can't be shutdown that long, this is the first pandemic of modern times and since we haven't had one in about 100 years we are going to be a little rusty about dealing with it, we like to think we are the equal of our grand parents or even great grand parents, we are not. if a hole opened up and threw us back to the late 1930's we would be so miserable more than likely we might just consider over dosing on cocaine and heroin, which you could buy from the drug store, no television, no color movies not even the cartoons or no internet, no easy to look up things, and god for bid no LEGAL booze of ANY type, except in Canada or Mexico let's face it, when it comes to dealing with hardship we are spoiled rotten.

Comment

sun? what is SUN? happy0023.gif

Comment

All major events have officially been cancelled until August 31st in Belgium.

This includes Fantasy Fairs, music festivals (and there are quite a lot of those during summer time), open air festivals in different cities... and more.

What happens in September and onwards will be determined by how well we get through the holiday period, and I'm more or less sure that we'll hit another spike come August/September cause I see more and more people who seem to think the virus is gone, while it most certainly isn't... and it pisses me off to no end how irresponsible some people are, lacking any regard for others.

However, you can bet on it that those celebrations will be family only and major events will have to be cancelled or are just not happening this year. Maybe virtual like the summer solstice rising of the sun in Stonehenge this year -- the sites are closed so they live streamed the event instead.

Good thing I didn't get up on sunday morning to follow it live cause it was completely clouded in the UK. No sun to spot.
                                Missed sunset on Saturday cause I was at a restaurant with my sister and my dad, and a great-aunt. Was between course 5 and 6 I think.

the REAL sad part of this is it was going to happen eventually, people need money to live more now than they did back during the Spanish flu pandemic in 1918 – 1920 it may take two years or more and the world just can't be shutdown that long, this is the first pandemic of modern times and since we haven't had one in about 100 years we are going to be a little rusty about dealing with it, we like to think we are the equal of our grand parents or even great grand parents, we are not. if a hole opened up and threw us back to the late 1930's we would be so miserable more than likely we might just consider over dosing on cocaine and heroin, which you could buy from the drug store, no television, no color movies not even the cartoons or no internet, no easy to look up things, and god for bid no LEGAL booze of ANY type, except in Canada or Mexico let's face it, when it comes to dealing with hardship we are spoiled rotten.
                                The Spanish Flu in 1918-1920 was right after and during WWI -- that was a different world altogether.

Most of us aren't at war at the moment -- and those who are, are having an even tougher time to survive.

And yes, we are a spoiled generations but we are also a very adaptable race, so the 1930's would be a serious shock but please... maybe it wouldn't be such a bad time to get cut off from all those things such as cellphones, internet, tv ... and return to a time with all these distractions.
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X