The Covid19 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    THe no gatherings larger than 10 applied to everything. Churches were not singled out, it applied to classes or meetings or festivals or anything. It did not target religions.

However religious institutions were the main folks that said ‘frak the rules, I don’t have to follow them we’re having services sunday’.

There were a few bars and restaurants, yet churches sought to hide behind being a religious building to not have to follow the rules that everyone else was following.

Even if there is enough room in the building for people to be separate inside, much of hte issues could stem from common use space - restrooms. How to get that many people in and out a very few doors while maintaining the 6 foot distance.
    But what possible logical justification can there be to oppose people sitting in their cars in a drive-in lot?

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
      the way I see it...I wanna live my life with no government interference whatsoever
      And I want to live my life without religious interference whatsoever. I have no issue with faith, I have issue with the organizations behind that faith.
      save for that which is necessary to rightfully prosecute me for REAL crimes....
      Define a "real" crime. Is it biblical, or is it legal? If it's biblical, you are imposing your view on me, which is exactly what you are complaining about here.
      and in the process of living my life the way I choose...if I happen to get sick and die then I happen to get sick and die
      What about everyone else you come into contact with?
      What about their choice?
      This is the argument of an AIDS patient not caring who they screw knowing full well they have a deadly virus. Shame on you.
      and I hope and pray to God that I've lived my life in close enough accordance with His objective moral principles
      They are not "objective" in the slightest, they are subjective because they are based on personal understanding. How you perceive God will be different to the person sitting next to you in the pews. You might generally agree, but their perception will be different from yours due to time, experience and understanding.
      I think that we as a society have become so afraid of dying that we've become too afraid to live
      No, we just don't want to die for stupid, preventable reasons.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
        But what possible logical justification can there be to oppose people sitting in their cars in a drive-in lot?
        None, and I have seen no reports of such gatherings being shut down. If there are, link them and I will look at them.
        sigpic

Comment

Their was an instance of one southern town interpreting the new law as not allowing the parking lot church service. You know how Annoyed likes to make rare cases as the norm
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
            None, and I have seen no reports of such gatherings being shut down. If there are, link them and I will look at them.
            I didn't provide links in order to appease the gods in this joint, because it is quite political in some areas. (sarc)Isn't tht a surprise.(/sarc)

It has been reported in several states over the past month or so.

Comment

I didn't provide links in order to appease the gods in this joint, because it is quite political in some areas. (sarc)Isn't tht a surprise.(/sarc)

It has been reported in several states over the past month or so.
              Providing links without commentary is not against any rule from Gateworld, and it never has been.
              sigpic

Comment

The inconsistencies in enforcement is precisely what happens when each state, county, municipality is left up to make their own rules.

As long as people are staying in their cars then I see no issue.

Now if we’d had a consistent set of guidelines then there’d likely have been less confusion and randomness.

You can’t tell 50 states, thousands of counties and cities to do their own thing and not get confusion.

In my opinion this whole response was set up so that the federal govt was ‘blameless’ in that if they made no rules they could not be criticized for those rules, while allowing them the ability and freedom to nitpick and criticize how everyone else responded. (I’m not going to be responsible but I will let you know what you should have done differently)
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  The inconsistencies in enforcement is precisely what happens when each state, county, municipality is left up to make their own rules.

As long as people are staying in their cars then I see no issue.

Now if we’d had a consistent set of guidelines then there’d likely have been less confusion and randomness.

You can’t tell 50 states, thousands of counties and cities to do their own thing and not get confusion.

In my opinion this whole response was set up so that the federal govt was ‘blameless’ in that if they made no rules they could not be criticized for those rules, while allowing them the ability and freedom to nitpick and criticize how everyone else responded. (I’m not going to be responsible but I will let you know what you should have done differently)
                  That theory would be more valid if the states with the issues weren't mostly blue.

Comment

The whole not wearing a mask and harassing people who do comes across as extremely selfish to me. These people are all "me, me, me, my rights, my health, blah blah blah". What about other people's rights to not get get infected by a virus that could kill them. Wearing a mask is kind of more about protecting other people from getting sick, than it is about preventing yourself from getting sick. There are a lot of people out there that are at high risk of becoming critically ill or dying if they get infected.

I hate wearing a mask, but I do it when I can't social distance. I'm not worried about getting ill, I'm more than 90% certain that I've already had a mild case of covid (I had a bunch of mild symptoms back in late Mar/early Apr, including loss of smell and taste and my daughter had contact with someone who I later found out was sick around the same time and had a confirmed case). Even if I can't get sick right away again, I wear a mask just in case I can be a carrier of it or whatever and spread it around to someone who could die. You don't have to wear it all the time, just when you're going to be someplace where it's hard to stay away from others. People who are refusing to wear masks seem to have some kind of political agenda and don't seem to care if their actions hurt other people.

I'm back a work now (my store is operating as a "fulfillment center" processing online orders that UPS picks up from us and delivers, because we're not even in phase 1 of reopening in NYC yet). There's only a handful of us there at a time and we're supposed to follow a bunch of rules like not sharing the same things, we have to social distance, we have to sanitize stuff regularly, we have to wear a mask in the store when we can't keep 6ft away from someone else. When I'm away from others I pull it down under my chin, when people come near or I have to go near my coworkers for something, I pull it back up. No big deal. Wearing a mask is not the end of the world.

I have to say though, the people on the other extreme, that think everyone needs to wear a mask as soon as they step out in public regardless of whether they can social distance, are starting to annoy me. There is no reason people need to wear a mask if they are walking on a quiet street with no one else around and have room to stay away from people if someone else does walk by. At least those people don't come across as selfish though, I just find them annoying.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      Their was an instance of one southern town interpreting the new law as not allowing the parking lot church service. You know how Annoyed likes to make rare cases as the norm
                      That's basically where I stand. I haven't really heard of or seen of any of this beyond on instance in one southern town. And in any case, this is the battle these churches who lack faith should be fighting, not to meet in their buildings, but in parked cars. That is, if you ask me, a good 1st amendment case considering the use of drive in theaters.
                      By Nolamom
                      sigpic

Comment

That theory would be more valid if the states with the issues weren't mostly blue.
                        What issues?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                          What issues?
                          The issues of state governments interfering with religious services despite those services observing proper precautions.

Comment

The issues of state governments interfering with religious services despite those services observing proper precautions.
                            Who is stopping them?
                            The state governments are limiting the amount of people to EVERYTHING, it's not restricted to churches.
                            What if I claimed the NFL was an essential service and the government had no right to stop games with packed stadiums?
                            Would you be just as mad?
                            Guess not because you have not mentioned it at all.
                            I have said twice, and now for the THIRD TIME, if you can work it out, go for it. This has NOTHING to do with religion, it's about public safety.
                            sigpic

Comment

I think we're going to see that scenario play out many times over as the people running this circus push for premature re-opening. The question is "will those idiots have the brains to realize they were wrong and shut things back down again and keep them shut down until we have a better handle on this?"

I'm betting not.

We shouldn't be re-opening until we have gotten to the point that there is no further need for social distancing, masks, or whatever else. The very fact that such is required is a clear indicator that the danger has not passed. Forcing people back into their cubicles before that is simply placing lives at risk for the pursuit of money.
                              On the other hand, so long as people aren't back to work, the government needs to finance them. Very few people's nest egg is big enough to be able to survive several months out of work. The economic damage of lockdown is so staggering that some countries, like Sweden and Belarus, took the risk of not shutting down their economy at all
                              If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                                Sometimes I wonder why they don't pull that phrase out in the context of, say, freedom of public urination.

P.S. So Israel is almost out of lockdown... but as soon as schools opened we got 79 new Covid-19 cases in one day. 18 of them in the same school. if it reaches 100 per day, we'll be back in lockdown.

Oh, and the health ministry inspected the airport's readiness for processing travelers under new regulations. Apparently it was not ready, so we won't get to renew international flights until mid-July.
                                Sorry dude, I meant to reply to this earlier and got distracted.
                                We have opened our schools here as well and within 3 days 2 schools were closed down for a mere 2 cases of Covid-19. I had to keep my son at home for 3 days just because he had a cough and I refuse to risk anyone else's health and the poor dude is utterly hanging to go back to school as he is autistic and does not handle changes in routine well at all.

As for flights, I really can't comment on that as I have no real knowledge on them. I do know that Israel wanted to be part of the "pacific bubble" between AU and NZ along with a few other low risk countries but I honestly don't know how that will pan out dude.
                                Stay safe, keep your scooter charged and take care of yourself and your Mrs.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X