The Covid19 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
    when you enter your serial # on the govt website you better not do it from your own PC

if serial number's assigned at random (I assume that's what you meant - but how would that work? Government is doing the posting, they're sure to make a note of each serial #) and since ID & serial number are "disconnected" - what's to stop someone else from using your serial #?
    As long as the govt. doesn't know what citizen gets what serial number, it's not a problem. And the serial numbers would be just like the system on the old film envelopes.. The number on the claim check matches the one on the envelope that is sent in, cause it's printed on the envelope.. you detach the claim check from the envelope.

This might sound strange to you young skulls full of mush.... You never had to deal with film photography.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      Don't step in that. It's not easy to scrape it off your shoes.
      Yes, the law says employers can't ask about health, age or many other things, even things like criminal records and wage histories are verboten in some of the more crazy places around here.

Does that mean discrimination based on age, health and such doesn't exist? Not on your life. How hard is it for a potential or current employer to figure out an applicant's approximate age, gender, or many other things?

How hard is it for an employer to look at an employee's records and notice a high number of sick days?

I, myself have been terminated for having to take time off for surgery to repair an injury. I've also been flat out told the truth by a sympathetic HR person that I wasn't being hired because I wasn't female. (He knew I had figured out the truth anyway, and this was unofficial, off the record)

Discrimination is rampant in the US workplace, but the businesses have the lawyers and the money to pay them. So they win. About the only thing they can't legally do is tell the guy the truth. They can give any lie they want to, or no reason at all.
      all great reasons for me to stay content in my happy retired/disabled life

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post

I think so. If this virus is seasonal, it will be like getting pneumonia year after year. My sister had only a partial lung working when she got pneumonia every year for about 5 more years... was on oxygen 24/7 for about 4 years, and after that, her good lung finally gave up, and she died.

Since COVID-19 primarily attacks the lungs and blood cell systems in general by covering or consuming those cells, if the virus is seasonally repeated, the whole body will eventually shut down.
        everyone is 'attacked' every flu season by all the common corona and other viruses that have been around for ages

all viruses can effect the lungs,--get a bad case of seasonal flu and it will end up in your lungs

the fear around this covid 19 is way over the top and i think that the US deaths from regular flu still exceed covid 19 deaths; definitely lead in infections. there are like 60 million common flu infections each yr in the US alone

we will adjust to this one as well and add it to our bodies collection of exposures/immunities

the WORSE thing people can do to stay healthy against any virus or bacterial respiratory infections is to move the hell out of big cities

NYC health department lists on its website that on average, each yr NYC poor air quality kills 3000 and causes thousands more to develop first tie asthma and other chronic respiratory conditions

living there, or any poor AC area IS A PRE EXISTING condition for compromised immunity systems
        ---------------

and staying in a perpetual "lock down" mode is ludicrous. i hear media types and others talking about 18 more months or more of lock down. even if that did happen, the virus and all other viruses will still be out there

hell, The Black Death is still alive and kicking in places like 4 corners ,USA and, I believe India. but it is far less serious if exposure occurs as immunity has built up over the years
        https://livingwithinsects.wordpress....the-4-corners/

Comment

Originally posted by magi877 View Post
          get a bad case of seasonal flu and it will end up in your lungs
          then how is it that even the most severe flu cases never cause dyspnea (shortness of breath)?

coughs extreme weakness crippling fever etc......but never tight chest/shortness of breath (that one's a Covid-exclusive)

Comment

Originally posted by magi877 View Post
            everyone is 'attacked' every flu season by all the common corona and other viruses that have been around for ages

all viruses can effect the lungs,--get a bad case of seasonal flu and it will end up in your lungs

the fear around this covid 19 is way over the top and i think that the US deaths from regular flu still exceed covid 19 deaths; definitely lead in infections. there are like 60 million common flu infections each yr in the US alone

we will adjust to this one as well and add it to our bodies collection of exposures/immunities

the WORSE thing people can do to stay healthy against any virus or bacterial respiratory infections is to move the hell out of big cities

NYC health department lists on its website that on average, each yr NYC poor air quality kills 3000 and causes thousands more to develop first tie asthma and other chronic respiratory conditions

living there, or any poor AC area IS A PRE EXISTING condition for compromised immunity systems
            ---------------

and staying in a perpetual "lock down" mode is ludicrous. i hear media types and others talking about 18 more months or more of lock down. even if that did happen, the virus and all other viruses will still be out there

hell, The Black Death is still alive and kicking in places like 4 corners ,USA and, I believe India. but it is far less serious if exposure occurs as immunity has built up over the years
            https://livingwithinsects.wordpress....the-4-corners/
            you are right , many viruses have ben around a long time, the black death hasn't ben around it too was a new virus, the black death wasn't the same as the black plague, https://www.newscientist.com/article...e-black-death/

as for the flu, here are a few links

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weekl...-10summary.htm

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5933a1.htm

https://www.verywellhealth.com/deaths-from-flu-2633829

Comment

then how is it that even the most severe flu cases never cause dyspnea (shortness of breath)?

coughs extreme weakness crippling fever etc......but never tight chest/shortness of breath (that one's a Covid-exclusive)
              let's not forget the blood clotting problem.

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post

Stay healthy folks... and STOP smoking! Don't start if you haven't yet!
                If nothing in previous years were enough of a warning... listen now... COVID-19 wants YOUR lungs!!!

Smoking causes one of those lung disease details that gives this virus an open door edge!

Funny thing is, French scientists found out that nicotine MIGHT even prevent catching the virus. They say because of the nicotine smokers get less infected than non-smokers, only if they do, the get more serious symptoms. Studies are still ongoing.

http://www.rfi.fr/en/science-and-tec...ainst-covid-19
                https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...id-19-11977460
                https://interestingengineering.com/n...rial-treatment
                https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...ting-nicotine/

So, keep your nicotine levels high!
                And no, you don't have to start smoking, a nicotine patch will suffice.

At least the nicotine-thesis sounds more plausible, than Trump's idea of injecting disinfectant.
                sigpic

Comment

That's just natural selection at work.

People over here are pushing for hair/nail salons be allowed to re-open too, but I think it's a rather boneheaded idea.

Consider: It is quite common for someone to carry this disease without having symptoms. They have it, but don't know it.
                  Now consider the services provided in salons. Close, personal and direct contact between stylist and customer.

So, start with a "clean" stylist. Customer comes in, and has the virus, but doesn't know it. Stylist catches virus. And then spreads to other customers.

You open the salons and such before anonymous testing is available, and I'll guarantee that scenario plays out over and over.

Nope, Not Gonna Do It... Wouldn't be prudent.
                  All true. But my wife doesn't want to cut my hair. I guess shaving bald it is...

It doesn't sound like Israel has enacted the unemployment and stimulus packages we have here in the U.S.
                  And it is going to cause significant financial pain.
                  Yeah, our non-government (we STILL don't have a government) isn't big on governing. They supposedly set up a NIS 80bn fund to help the economy recover... except only 2.6bn or so has been actually spent so far.

They agreed on rescuing EL AL, the national airline, conditional on it "optimizing" - as in firing 30% of its workforce. European countries condition the bailout of buisinesses on retaining employees, and ours condition it on layovers.

They're talking about saving the hotel industry, the restaurant industry, the airlines, the malls - every industry but outgoing tourism. There is literally nothing being done for travel agencies, and we're the hardest hit. Not only do we have no sales, but we owe millions of dollars to our customers which we may not get back from airlines for months.

I do not say this jokingly. Maybe Israel can send the bill to China?
                  Maybe when the national IQ recedes to the American levels.
                  If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

I don't place much faith in anything the WHO says at this point, their track record for honesty is sadly lacking, but this might get a lot more fun if this is true:

WHO says no evidence shows that having coronavirus prevents a second infection

Comment

I don't place much faith in anything the WHO says at this point, their track record for honesty is sadly lacking, but this might get a lot more fun if this is true:

WHO says no evidence shows that having coronavirus prevents a second infection
                      They're being cautious, I think they just don't want people going out and not social distancing just in case until they know for certain that the antibodies provide immunity and the exact level of immunity. They probably also don't like the idea of "immunity passports" and segregating people by "immune" and "not immune" and giving people with possible immunity more freedom.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                        They're being cautious, I think they just don't want people going out and not social distancing just in case until they know for certain that the antibodies provide immunity and the exact level of immunity. They probably also don't like the idea of "immunity passports" and segregating people by "immune" and "not immune" and giving people with possible immunity more freedom.
                        Well, if normal immunity applies as we understand it, those who test clean or have antibodies and have recovered ought to be allowed full freedoms. That's just common sense.

UNLESS this virus beats the immunity mechanism somehow. That's a whole different ballgame. We probably ought to nail that down one way or another even before we put tests on the market.

Weren't there some unconfirmed reports of re-infection a few weeks ago?

Comment

Because once the genie is out of the bottle, he doesn't go back in.

Back in the 1970's, when I was in college, the human race was just beginning to think about mapping the human genome. There were all sorts of articles going around about what we would be able to learn about people and the wonders it could do for medical science and helping people with genetic diseases. Being the naturally distrustful type (I've mellowed a lot in the intervening decades) I wondered what else that information might be used for. And this was the point of a paper I wrote for an English class.

Sure enough, fast forward a few decades, and sure enough, we started being able to spot markers for certain diseases. This was approximately the time period when Shrillary's first attempt to take over the health care industry, which resulted in great expansion of HMO's and insurance company experts starting to manage the system. And one of the first things these folks did was to start using genetic information to disqualify people with markers for expensive diseases from getting health insurance.

THAT is why you keep any scrap of information like that out of anyone's hands besides your own. You never know when it will be used against you in the future, or by who.
                          no type of id system exited for HIV positives in the US. it was always between dr, patient and who the pt informed

and once we allow a thing like a health passport to exist and control our movements, then more and more restrictions and "you got to prove the negative " just to have freedom is a extreme infringement on individual rights

and it would probably also generate a massive black-market in forged documents and test results as well
                          Last edited by magi877; 26 April 2020, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Well, if normal immunity applies as we understand it, those who test clean or have antibodies and have recovered ought to be allowed full freedoms. That's just common sense.

UNLESS this virus beats the immunity mechanism somehow. That's a whole different ballgame. We probably ought to nail that down one way or another even before we put tests on the market.

Weren't there some unconfirmed reports of re-infection a few weeks ago?
                            Yeah, there have been uncomfirmed reports; people who've "recovered" and tested negative then later on testing positive. But as far as I've read, no one's figured out if it was an issue with the test or an actual re-infection. I don't think there have been any cases yet where they've had someone who had antibodies test positive again. And even then, there are reports saying some of these antibody tests aren't all that accurate too.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by epg20 View Post
                              you are right , many viruses have ben around a long time, the black death hasn't ben around it too was a new virus, the black death wasn't the same as the black plague, https://www.newscientist.com/article...e-black-death/

as for the flu, here are a few links

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weekl...-10summary.htm

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5933a1.htm

https://www.verywellhealth.com/deaths-from-flu-2633829
                              once in the environment these things never just go away, they linger and we adapt to
                              them..or the virus/bacteria adapts and we get sick again

Comment

many of the causes of dyspnea are exactly the preexisting conditions that make ppl more disposed to having a severe or deadly case of covid19

while viruses are very well known to cause pneumonia. isn't pneumonia one of the leading complication of covid19 that actually causes the death?

Viral pneumonia is a pneumonia caused by a virus.[1] Viruses are one of the two major causes of pneumonia, the other being bacteria; less common causes are fungi and parasites. Viruses are the most common cause of pneumonia in children, while in adults bacteria are a more common cause.[2]
                                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viral_pneumonia

Comment

Working...
                                X