The Covid19 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Let me make myself abundantly clear... I'm probably not in the right frame of mine to responding right now but I'm going to restrain myself and reply anyway

Reason 1: lost my grandfather on saturday (old age) and due to covid we'll have a small funeral service on thursday -- and by small, I literally mean small: no remaining family or friends are permitted to attend. The last time I physically saw my grandfather was in January 2020.

Reason 2: I have an uncle who tested positive and has mild symptoms. He's an at-risk person. My other grandfather, who is already carrying an oxygen tank around, is waiting for his results. I have an aunt who is being tested today and won't know her results until wednesday at the latest. I have a nephew who tested negative after coming into contect with a positive person at work...

My aunt tested negative. A little positive news at least...
    Condolences and heart-hugs for what you and your family are enduring thru.
    We have a relative who ended up in COVID ICU, nearly lost him. He was given oxygen, and fortunately was not put on the ventilator. Because he was on blood thinners for prior heart surgery and taken off of those, due to internal bleeding during his COVID-19 experience, he did end up with a major sized blood clot running nearly the entire length of his leg, which meant he was heading for a major heart attack. He also suffered major organ failures, but managed to survive that only by sheer miracle, because the medical doctors delayed emergency surgery, etc. His wife was freaking out and was still unable to see her husband, until after the 14-day quarantine was over for both of them. She still cannot be with him, but was finally granted a "distant" visit with a window between them on limited basis.

using FH's emphasis in this next bit...
    Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
    It won't die out because at this point in time, TPTB controlling the outcome won't let a good crisis go to waste.
    SERIOUSLY!?!

I mean, seriously?!?
    Many people were using that phrase when these whole COVID-19 lockdowns began. One came from a FORBES article...
    Massive scrolling... but there were several articles that came out, one being FORBES
    dated May 13, 2020,02:49am EDT and titled "3 Reasons Why You Should Use This Crisis To Make A Change" by Jeroen Kraaijenbrink... who began his article with

"Every crisis the words "never waste a good crisis" pop up. The COVID-19 crisis is no exception to this. And along with these words, there is action too. We see it practiced in business, where after years of slow development, working from home is suddenly accepted. We see it in education, where online education takes a sudden flight. And we see it in government, for example in the EU trying to use this crisis to assemble the budget for creating a greener and more digital Europe.

The words date back to Winston Churchill's "never let a good crisis go to waste," when he argued that the United Nations would never have existed without World War II. He had a point and so do the many people who bring in these words today. But what is it about crises that makes them such strong accelerators of change?
    . . .
    "

Perspectives change when put in their proper context.

...so don't tell me this is all some frellin' political game. Count yourself lucky if you've been spared an infection and/or a positive test.
    The *frelling political* "game" end is in the constant flip-flopping of TPTB. They need to do their massive amounts of RESEARCH first, then settle down with ONE set of rules, not keep changing them from week to week. AND usually, rules and regs get a few months review for complaints and suggestions before they are established into place. Voluntary compliance usually starts in iffy situations, and are often given up to a year or 2 before they become set into LAW.

Problem with COVID-19 is that TPTB for certain USA states decided to make mandatory rules when voluntary compliance wasn't working out, and put everyone into a forced lock-down as a result. Some folks were on lock-down, other states were not. It was NOT universally set across all lines. Eventually, other states decided "oh, maybe we should lock-down too" as Disney did with Orlando, Florida.

Another issue is that this virus is NOT going to go away. It was anticipated that it MAY be seasonal, and now is showing it may actually be exactly that, so NO ONE is going to escape its *invisible* clutches... this is something TPTB have been trying to (medically and scientifically) identify, but the sporadic lock-downs are making it difficult. The continuous waves were predicted to come... Second wave, 3rd wave, 4th wave... People who get common colds this time of the year have been declared COVID-19 positive, because someone else with a higher risk *tested positive* with COVID-19 symptoms. It's in the mislabeling of a common cold and connecting it directly to an actual COVID-19 case where the so-called *frellin' games* come in with boosting the statistics on who HAS the dreaded virus and who doesn't. USA has boosted stats for months just to make it look higher than it actually is... some of those "statistics" have been reported and down-sized, but the FEAR level of "the COVID-19 monster is gonna get YOU..!" continues.

Comment

Condolences and heart-hugs for what you and your family are enduring thru.
      Thank you.

My uncle, aunt and cousin are on the mend. My grandfather passed away yesterday. So in the space of 2 weeks I've become a grandparents-orphan.

In other news... Belgium is back in lockdown, or semi-lockdown anyway, until at least the 13th of December at which point there will be an evaluation of the situation. I estimate that we'll remain in this situation until at least the end of the year.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Have to break these postings up into possibly 3 sections... So, here is post #2.
        more to follow later...

I just glanced at the New Jersey Covid-19 Information -- very extensive website too -- and I see nothing to complain about. NJ clearly has a governor who wants nothing but the best for his state, which is what a governor should think about first and foremost, about all the people (not just some of them to convenience them).
        Haha...! That's the lie TPTB *WANT* to project upon the populations. They say they are looking out for our best interests, while at the same time their methods of "enforcements" are destroying entire families, life in general, and businesses and using the medical industry to hide behind as their claimed interest.

In too many USA states, the D.Governors have taken over the role of "executive President" PTB and declared these lockdowns since March 2020. This situation is not going to end there. This has been implied many times before and is only now showing up as a definite reality.

I don't remember if this was already mentioned, but a few weeks ago, Dr. Fauci has suggested that even WITH the vaccine that people need to be wearing masks into 2022, which probably includes the continuous lock-downs, as well... state by state, if not nationwide.

Also, another report came out claiming that the *antibodies" for COVID-19 don't last as long as some "experts" once thought. It diminishes cutting a lengthy year down to a few months/weeks. So, so much for the hope of getting antibodies to last for a long time in keeping the dreaded COVID-19 monster away. There are fine lines between reality of the COVID-19 virus being a nasty entity, and the hyped up fears of how to avoid getting it.

Something that is being ignore to fight COVID-19 is vitamin use. ZINC has been declared as an unofficial fighter against this virus. People deficient in ZINC are the ones who often end up getting the COVID-19 virus. Since some antibiotic treatments include a ZINC-based additive, it makes sense that the actual vitamin/mineral use of ZINC would be of greater help. So, guess what has vanished off the grocery store shelves...? ZINC. Vitamin C. D3... just to start.

People who have used vitamins to ward off flu and colds prior by taking Vitamins C, D3, ZINC combined with Selenium and Magnesium have flocked to the vitamin aisles and wiped out huge portions of these vitamins ever since March 2020. Having a 3-month supply is not enough. Finding out that other people in your household want or need those same vitamins means to double the amount purchased and put into one's pantry storage.

Moving on...
        ...What types of benefits or assistance are available to me during the coronavirus outbreak?:

Health Insurance, Prescription Drug Refills, Job Assistance, Unemployment Benefits, Food Assistance, Cash Assistance, Family Leave Benefits, Temporary Disability Benefits, Sick Leave, Legal Aid, Job Protection, Job Search, Resources for Businesses, Resources for Freelancers, Contractors, and Gig Workers, Eviction Protection, Mortgage Relief, Homelessness Services, Child Care Resources, Mental Health Resources, Substance Use/Addiction Treatment, Resources for Immigrants, COVID-19 Testing and Treatment for Undocumented Immigrants, Resources for Veterans, Domestic Violence Hotlines, Resources for Older Residents, Resources for Individuals with Disabilities, Assistance for Individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, Energy Assistance.

And also... Governor Murphy, Lieutenant Governor Oliver, Legislative Leadership, and Congressional Representatives Announce Additional $100 Million for COVID-19 Economic Recovery
        Funding Will Support Grants for Restaurants and Micro-Businesses, Reduced-Price PPE for Small Companies, Rent Relief for Tenants, and Food Insecurity
        FH, I appreciate the searches on benefits, etc., and offers to find work somewhere else, but I'd like to *retire* in a few short years, if that is even possible... BUT is *not* possible in my current situation, and I cannot work with limiting *health* issues and working in a BLUE state. The BLUE coloring may be the favored democrat ideal, but here, it's turning one's life into the *blues* in more ways than one, including "turning blue" for lack of oxygen.

Oh, and that's another issue... depression. Because of the businesses closing down, as in "going out of business forever"... the medical industry / news folks are surprised at the increasing number of psychological diagnosis' of depression that are occurring?? Really? What did TPTB expect? Happy people on *HAPPY* meds because one's life savings got wiped out from a virus causing entire industries to shut-down? This was another point that was projected into these lockdowns, that people would end up on psychotropic medications because of depression leading into chronic despair. The rest of the folks on lock-downs who seem to have lots of free time in their world, have been wrecking havoc in rioting, looting, stealing, damaging and/or destroying other people's property.

"And this is only the beginning of sorrows..."

Comment

Finally, post # 3...

Thank you.

My uncle, aunt and cousin are on the mend. My grandfather passed away yesterday. So in the space of 2 weeks I've become a grandparents-orphan.
          hugs... Sadness... it does hurt and will for many years regardless of how much time passes.
          I've been orphaned from my favorite grandparents when I was still under ten years old. My parents have left as well. Lost my oldest sister to pneumonia a few years back when her only remaining lung failed (she had suffered years from a collapsed lung injury, due to an accident when she was a mere 19 or 20 years old). If COVID-19 was around when she was alive, she would have died that much sooner.

In other news... Belgium is back in lockdown, or semi-lockdown anyway, until at least the 13th of December at which point there will be an evaluation of the situation. I estimate that we'll remain in this situation until at least the end of the year.
          Don't count on it. It's going to get worse... much, much worse.

Latest update... some of us tracking this news *KNEW* this was coming.

"Covid-19: PM announces four-week England lockdown"
          BBC news
          November 1, 2020

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has announced a second national lockdown for England to prevent a "medical and moral disaster" for the NHS.

He said Christmas may be "very different" but he hoped taking action now would mean families can gather.

Pubs, restaurants, gyms and non-essential shops will have to close for four weeks from Thursday, he said.
          . . .
          Well, here it is, and it's probably not going to just stop after this winter season is over... but continue until the whole world's economy collapses.

Another article noted that a fairly new, but now struggling business owner described this "lockdown" as a DICTATORSHIP
          (see 'A new lockdown will be far worse for businesses'.

Oh, and for those who have to work with *COVID-19 Nazi* bosses/TPTB, I totally understand, as my boss is one who "hires and fires/do this or else!" Wearing Masks, "social/work distancing" and hand-wringing / excessive hand washing, etc. are NOW mandatory where I was working... my desk just got moved to an isolated chamber. Person who sat there prior was "let-go" for lack of work. So, not only has my work *down-sized*, but my desk/work space has been down-sized too. Jeeze, just when I was thinking I needed to expand my desk to a larger work space, it got moved to a smaller area. Maybe I can keep my old desk...? doubtful.

On the funny/not-so-funny side, Be careful what you wish for/are thinking... because it just might come true...

Keeping the above thought in constant memory, I'd like to *retire* in a few short years, if that is even possible... however is not possible in my current situation, and I cannot work with limiting *health* issues and working in a BLUE state. The BLUE coloring may be the favored democrat ideal, but here, it's turning one's life into the *blues* in more ways than one, including "turning blue" for lack of oxygen for some folks who have already been plagued with this COVID-19 bug.

Comment

Mods: Although politics is integral to much of what is said here, I am deliberately not taking any side or political view here, I am just commenting upon how politics affects the situation overall.

A few comments on your posts, SGalisa

*frelling political* "game" - This whole thing has been politicized by both major parties in the US, each trying to turn the situation to their advantage. "Never let a good crisis go to waste" certainly applies. I will not go into that farther due to the boards rules.

Regarding the lack of uniformity across the country, the reason is that under our Constitution, Most of these restrictions have to be done at the state level. Since the authority to enact these restrictions is not granted to the feds in the Constitution, according to the 10th amendment, that power falls to the states.

Quite probably, since we seem to be insisting upon re-opening everything.

Until such time as we have an effective, and just as importantly, trusted vaccine that people will take, isolation is our only effective weapon against this disease, which we still know far too little about. How often do you read news articles stating that new negative effects, such as liver damage, "brain fog" and other new effects being discovered (or blamed on) CV.

Granted, we have to keep food & energy supply chains open. Even these, particularly food supplies can be handled more safely than they are. Fortunately, self-service gas pumps are a small risk.

But bars, restaurants and other activities where the primary goal is social interaction are completely unwarranted risks in light of the serious threats this disease presents for many people. And you don't even have to directly participate in these activities directly. Someone can behave themselves, stay home, and catch it from another resident in their home who does engage in high risk behavior. Dining out, going to bars, clubs, bowling and other things are not essential to one's staying alive.

Many people (most of them younger) like to cite statistics that say this disease presents a small, insignificant risk to most people. But, it's not so small when it is you or a loved one who gets this and does develop serious problems as a result.

For many jobs, work at home is certainly possible, and should be mandatory wherever it is possible. There is no justifiable reason for stuffing people into cubicle farms.

One thing to consider though. While the disease is likely to get worse due to our complete failure in handling it so far, the "noise level" in the media and such is almost certain to decrease once the results of the elections are known. As I mentioned above, most of it is driven by by politics.

Without the motivation of jockeying for political advantage on both sides, perhaps our leaders can actually begin to do what is needed. Yeah, I know, it's a long shot, but... it might happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post

Until such time as we have an effective, and just as importantly, trusted vaccine that people will take
              hey no problem as long as it has no aluminium or mercury & isn't owned by a private company

How often do you read news articles stating that new negative effects, such as liver damage, "brain fog" and other new effects being discovered (or blamed on) CV.
              at one point they found a new symptom of Covid every week
              but a quick google check revealed that for every one of those the flu was just as capable of causing it too

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                hey no problem as long as it has no aluminium or mercury & isn't owned by a private company

at one point they found a new symptom of Covid every week
                but a quick google check revealed that for every one of those the flu was just as capable of causing it too
                Would you rather it be owned by the government? Remember, the govt. may be run by people you don't like.

And you trust Google? Isn't that a private company? That is already known for playing favorites with search results?

Comment

Would you rather it be owned by the government? Remember, the govt. may be run by people you don't like.

And you trust Google? Isn't that a private company? That is already known for playing favorites with search results?
                  how about owned by no one
                  I trust universities more than the pharma indu$try

capitalism should stay away from something as vital as healthcare. surely as a Prolife(tm) fundie you can understand that :|

Comment

how about owned by no one
                    I trust universities more than the pharma indu$try

capitalism should stay away from something as vital as healthcare. surely as a Prolife(tm) fundie you can understand that :|
                    Since when aren't college$ & univer$ities corporate entities? In some areas, they are the biggest employers and businesses in the area.

Comment

Since when aren't college$ & univer$ities corporate entities? In some areas, they are the biggest employers and businesses in the area.
                      they're not all private

Comment

they're not all private
                        Public or private, they're all in the business of making money.
                        Isn't the fact that they're so expensive one of the things people are pissed off at around here?

Comment

Public or private, they're all in the business of making money.
                          Isn't the fact that they're so expensive one of the things people are pissed off at around here?
                          No.
                          It's the fact you need a ton of money to get an education, no matter how talented you may be in a subject that annoys people.

But I digress.

The spikes in covid-19 cases across the USA and Europe should be very alarming to you guys. We went through our winter and managed to flatten the curve, you folks are about to start hitting the season where it's not just covid-19 that's going to cause you problems. Granted, the most successful efforts have been on Island nations who can naturally self isolate better in terms of keeping boarders closed, but those nations have also mandated masks and social distancing as well.
                          It's a multi-pronged approach that works, and we have statistical, verifiable evidence of that.
                          sigpic
                          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

As opposed to the USA, we at least have managed to flatten the curve once. We're actually in our second wave, mainly because IMO regulations were changed too soon. Probably a way to save our summers but in all fairness, people are stupid and common sense is just not gonna happen.

Albeit yes, our second wave is worse than our first but I'm mildly confident that with a little effort, it can be flattened again so that hospitals aren't overrun -- which they are already or about to be.

Concerning the vaccine -- y'all gonna have to accept that it won't be available for everyone all at once, and we're gonna have to continue maintaining social distance and facemask-wearing until such times as this covid-19 is more or less history.

Herd immunity is out of the question so you're just gonna have to live with it. By which I mean, to work as hard as possible to keep yourself safe and healthy and do everything in your power to keep others safe and healthy. We're all in this together.
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                              No.
                              It's the fact you need a ton of money to get an education, no matter how talented you may be in a subject that annoys people.

But I digress.

The spikes in covid-19 cases across the USA and Europe should be very alarming to you guys. We went through our winter and managed to flatten the curve, you folks are about to start hitting the season where it's not just covid-19 that's going to cause you problems. Granted, the most successful efforts have been on Island nations who can naturally self isolate better in terms of keeping boarders closed, but those nations have also mandated masks and social distancing as well.
                              It's a multi-pronged approach that works, and we have statistical, verifiable evidence of that.
                              And if schools weren't in the business of making money, it wouldn't cost a ton of money.

And as a side note, why should someone who has a natural talent for a specific field get a free ride in comparison to the normal guy who has to work harder to complete the courses? Isn't that discrimination?

Hmmm.. Who is it around here that has been stridently advocating for isolation since the start of this mess?
                              Last edited by Annoyed; 03 November 2020, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Concerning the vaccine -- y'all gonna have to accept that it won't be available for everyone all at once, and we're gonna have to continue maintaining social distance and facemask-wearing until such times as this covid-19 is more or less history
                                Also concerning any possible vaccine... And the corruption of this whole thing by politics....

Seems the feds want to get overly nosy, wanting to collect personal information in order to get a vaccine, which is just wrong from the get-go. And this will be more than enough to discourage many from getting it.

And.... this was turned into a political football in .0034 seconds.

https://abc7ny.com/cuomo-covid-vacci...sport/7585438/

My point is the same as another recent post of mine, not to take one side or the other, but to point out just how much this whole thing is being manipulated for political purposes. If you read that article, no matter which side is telling the "truth", someone is manipulating the situation for their political advantage.

Comment

Working...
                                X