This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    Trees are good for us anyway, as we are addicted to oxygen. I have plenty of trees on my property. I like them, Hang a birdfeeder under one of them, and before long, you have a nice collection of birds, squirrels (speaking of that species, what ever happened to this places's rodent?) & whatnot out there so the cats have some amusement looking out the window. I even had an issue w/ deer knocking the birdfeeder of it's hanger.

But there has to be a way to stop the torrent of pinecones!
    Many of those trees were my friends!
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I agree wth Annoyed, we need to plant more trees.
      But where? Developers, chasing the almighty dollar, are building everywhere. Where we used to have farm land we now have sprawling suburbs of (what I call) dog boxes. 2, maybe 3 bedrooms, kitchen/dinning area & living room. Carport and no garden, Maybe a nature strip out front with powerlines running overhead, so trees are pruned every year to avoid the lnes, or cut down completely.
      We have nowhere to plant trees is any great numbers now. No wonder we have global warmiing.
      http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
        Many of those trees were my friends!
        Hey, I didn't kill any of them. I've had to cut a few up after storms and such destroyed them, but I didn't kill 'em.

And besides, lifting your leg on something doesn't make it your friend. To the contrary, I would expect.

Comment

Hey, I didn't kill any of them. I've had to cut a few up after storms and such destroyed them, but I didn't kill 'em.

And besides, lifting your leg on something doesn't make it your friend. To the contrary, I would expect.

it's a LOTR ref Annoyed (-_-)
          Last edited by Chaka-Z0; 09 August 2019, 05:21 AM.
          Spoiler:
          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

it's a LOTR ref Annoyed (-_-)
            Never watched it.

Comment

Never watched it.
              ...This is the most offensive thing Annoyed has ever said.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
                I agree wth Annoyed, we need to plant more trees.
                But where? Developers, chasing the almighty dollar, are building everywhere. Where we used to have farm land we now have sprawling suburbs of (what I call) dog boxes. 2, maybe 3 bedrooms, kitchen/dinning area & living room. Carport and no garden, Maybe a nature strip out front with powerlines running overhead, so trees are pruned every year to avoid the lnes, or cut down completely.
                We have nowhere to plant trees is any great numbers now. No wonder we have global warmiing.
                location, location

in much of the 'hinter lands' of the eastern part of the US, trees, scrubland and marshes are reclaiming unused land all around. Old farms are overgrowing, old growth/virgin forests have much younger protected/limited commercial use forests around them.

invasive species are an issue; bugs and plants. the ydo take away from this re-growth by being, well, pests.

here is one vid on one of our virgin forests, speaks to some issues but helps you get the idea of the forest size

Comment

Originally posted by magi877 View Post
                  here is one vid on one of our virgin forests, speaks to some issues but helps you get the idea of the forest size

Yes nature does have a way to take back its rightful place. Pray forgive me if I didn't watch the whole thing, these kind of videos with the cheesy music on top of it makes me cringe too much
                  Spoiler:

Comment

Ocean Viking rescue ship picks up 251 migrants off Libya

Honestly, salute to those guys and all the volunteers from Doctors without border / SOS Mediterranean. It's great to see some shreds of humanity in a world of divisions, especially in the Mediterranean area.

Spoiler:

Comment

Looks like they might end up being permanant residents of the ships

Open arms, closed ports

A second migrant ship, the Open Arms, remained at sea on Sunday with 121 migrants on board after being denied permission to enter ports in Italy and Malta.

Malta took a more lenient approach, offering to allow Open Arms to disembark 39 people it rescued in the country's designated search-and-rescue area on Saturday, but rejected 121 migrants who had been picked up more than a week ago "in an area where Malta is neither responsible nor the competent coordinating authority."

"We cannot evacuate 39 people and tell the rest that they have to stay," Open Arms founder Oscar Camps said.

Camps indicated he would wait for the "definitive evacuation" for security reasons, and "to keep order on the boat."

Banned from Italy

Italy's anti-immigration interior minister, Matteo Salvini, said he had signed orders banning both rescue ships from Italy.

"Italy is not a refugee camp for Europe. Go either to Spain or Norway," he told Italian media.

A new Italian law permits fines of up €1 million ($1.1 million) against the owners of charity rescue ships that enter Italian waters without authorization.
                      Oh, so a nation isn't automatically evil for a nation to control who is allowed in.

I can expect you to start demanding that Italy accept unlimited # of refugees/immigrants, right?

If not, I expect a good helping of hypocrisy bacon.

Comment

Yes nature does have a way to take back its rightful place. Pray forgive me if I didn't watch the whole thing, these kind of videos with the cheesy music on top of it makes me cringe too much
                        i get it! the only reason i used this vid is that it is the one with some of the best shots of these virgin hemlocks and beeches

other vids include other areas of the park

Cooks forest, and this virgin stand, has over the last 100 yrs inspired surrounding property owners to either not cut their property, or, to grant their land to the state on condition that it not be cut or at least, strictly managed.

a national forest also borders this forest,all making for a very large chunk of north central pa that is well forested

pa also has some reg that does not allow the type of clear cutting you see in the western states either. this followed on earlier state law that required for every 5 acres cleared for building or farming, one acre of that same land (no swapping with other owners!) was to remain untouched

i guess Penn and his followers were pretty serious about the state's name

Comment

Never watched it.
                          Sacrilege!

Comment

Looks like they might end up being permanant residents of the ships

Oh, so a nation isn't automatically evil for a nation to control who is allowed in.

I can expect you to start demanding that Italy accept unlimited # of refugees/immigrants, right?

If not, I expect a good helping of hypocrisy bacon.
                            yes, those nasty europeans are quite reluctant to take in more

strange too, how so many of these people avoid eastern europe. they must know just how unwelcoming THOSE nations are

ever see how the russians and Norwegians tightly enforce the rules on crossing the border way up north?

can do it relatively easily, IF you do it on a bike
                            could you imagine the outrage if America said 'yes, anyone can come into america without a visa IF you do it on a moped'?

but then the Norwegians "built that wall (well, fence)". does this kind of stuff NOT create a dissonance with the american left, who always point to European openness as a model we should follow?

Comment

could you imagine the outrage if America said 'yes, anyone can come into america without a visa IF you do it on a moped'?
                              Isn't that what many democrats are pushing for, an they'll provide the moped, oo.

but then the Norwegians "built that wall (well, fence)". does this kind of stuff NOT create a dissonance with the american left, who always point to European openness as a model we should follow?
                              Your question shows that you don't understand the "american left"

First, 'bout a decade & change ago, the Democrats actually wanted to tighten down the border. Even Obama said so.

But low and behold, here we are years later, with a hard republican in office, and they're best bet to regain control of the White House and whatever other levers of power is to court the segments of the population which need free stuff; this group includes immigrants, as well as students, or anyone else who wants the govt. to pay for all their needs.

So, why do you think the ascendant wing of the left, aka the Kindergartner and her ilk are promising these things, free college, free health care, free whatever-else-they-can think-of?

To buy the votes of these folks.

Comment

The US signed the Refugee convention. If a boat full of asylum seekers were to land on your shores it would be within your obligations to accept and process them accordingly.

Are you saying the US should go back on core international agreements?
                                Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X