Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What sort of things do you guys collect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tend to be interested in Natural items. Bones, pelts/feathers, plants. I'll only collect/buy bones and pelts though if whatever they're coming from was killed naturally or they were killed by some one for the meat and not just for the bones or pelts.

Comment

CD's, cassettes, records... I have the Black Album record sealed and stamped, hoping to sell 50 years from now since this album marks the shift in Metallica style. Going to get it framed soon actually. I begun collecting those 15 years ago when my hard drive blew up along with my 50go of various discographies. I swore an oath that day that this would NEVER happen again!

Every single of my CD works perfectly fine to this day, I just don't trust digital medias for safekeeping.

People always look at me funny when I say I still buy CD's and I am extremely disappointed that most retailers have disappeared. Those left have a very narrow selection and mostly mainstream stuff.
      Spoiler:
      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
        CD's, cassettes, records... I have the Black Album record sealed and stamped, hoping to sell 50 years from now since this album marks the shift in Metallica style. Going to get it framed soon actually. I begun collecting those 15 years ago when my hard drive blew up along with my 50go of various discographies. I swore an oath that day that this would NEVER happen again!

Every single of my CD works perfectly fine to this day, I just don't trust digital medias for safekeeping.

People always look at me funny when I say I still buy CD's and I am extremely disappointed that most retailers have disappeared. Those left have a very narrow selection and mostly mainstream stuff.
        We agree here. Almost every thing I listen to is stored, in my home on physical media, either optical or physical such as vinyl, cassette, videotape or similar. I can play anything from reel-to-reel forward, although the reel/reel deck and the 8-Track deck are stored in a closet, not left connected.

I'm also one of those that believes that Vinyl, if well cared for, sounds better than CD or other digitized formats. And don't get me started on the compressed crap you download on the Internet. It's not even worth stealing.

Comment

I get that Chaka, not trusting digital saves. Little off topic of collections, I went to a Digital Foresics camp a couple years ago and carried around a notebook the whole time. The others there thought it was weird but I mean we were working with viruses and stuff like that. I'd much rather write things down than plug a USB into a computer with the chance of accidentally picking up Some malware.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
            We agree here.
            Can you believe that?

I'm also one of those that believes that Vinyl, if well cared for, sounds better than CD or other digitized formats. And don't get me started on the compressed crap you download on the Internet. It's not even worth stealing.
            Many of my friends were musicians and I don't think it's a myth too, they all agree that vinyl does sound better overall when it's music from actual instruments, that's what they tell me. I guess you listen to a lot of Rock or metal maybe so understanbly you're correct on that. Rap or electro or digitally created music wouldn't sound better on vinyl.

Unfortunately I was born a few decades after you vinyls are too expensive to collect for me. Even CD's are a rip-off, most of the time 20$ a pop for newer stuff. I can hardly find interesting material now with all those closures there's just 1 retailer left (Sunrise Records) and it doesn't help that metal being a semi-niche only gets 2-3 sections in the shop. I can hardly find what I'm looking for now, that's if they don't completely disappear in a few years.

They even have the audacity to mix trash such as Evanescence in the metal section, it makes me sick.
            Spoiler:
            I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath_E View Post
              I get that Chaka, not trusting digital saves. Little off topic of collections, I went to a Digital Foresics camp a couple years ago and carried around a notebook the whole time. The others there thought it was weird but I mean we were working with viruses and stuff like that. I'd much rather write things down than plug a USB into a computer with the chance of accidentally picking up Some malware.
              Lol I'd say you're the only one who should pass the class, USB are like the #1 medium used for system incursions. I did the same in University.
              Spoiler:

Comment

Can you believe that?

Many of my friends were musicians and I don't think it's a myth too, they all agree that vinyl does sound better overall when it's music from actual instruments, that's what they tell me. I guess you listen to a lot of Rock or metal maybe so understanbly you're correct on that. Rap or electro or digitally created music wouldn't sound better on vinyl.

Unfortunately I was born a few decades after you vinyls are too expensive to collect for me. Even CD's are a rip-off, most of the time 20$ a pop for newer stuff. I can hardly find interesting material now with all those closures there's just 1 retailer left (Sunrise Records) and it doesn't help that metal being a semi-niche only gets 2-3 sections in the shop. I can hardly find what I'm looking for now, that's if they don't completely disappear in a few years.

They even have the audacity to mix trash such as Evanescence in the metal section, it makes me sick.
                I think we have some old vinyls stored in our garage....not sure what kinda shape they're in though as it can get mighty hot even here in Buffalo during the summer months

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  My oldest is a 1 cent coin from 1914.
                  My grandfather gave it to me, along with a whole bunch of other coins and paper money (German money from WWII among others).
                  some coins and money, while they may now be worthless as legal tender as the entity that issued the currency might no longer exist, can still be worth a lot in terms of collector value

for example some Confederate money can be worth a lot in terms of collector value

Comment

Originally posted by Heath_E View Post
                    I tend to be interested in Natural items. Bones, pelts/feathers, plants. I'll only collect/buy bones and pelts though if whatever they're coming from was killed naturally or they were killed by some one for the meat and not just for the bones or pelts.
                    My sister makes me empty my pockets after walks. Says I don't have space for all that "junk".
                    I had to do that once while vacationing in Crete where it's actually illegal to take bits and pieces home from historical sites, even junk like pottery bits. There's a huge archaeological site that has not been excavated cause well Greece went bankrupt and I picked up like bits and pieces of pottery, but I had to take it back afterwards...

I usually take images of items like that because the shape fascinates me, or the color or the texture or just the look of it...

YES!! ME TOO!!
                    I have a huge collection, and my father used to be a DJ in his youth so he has a fabulous collection of vinyl (that I want to inherit -- as do I want to inherit my grandfather's collection).

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                    some coins and money, while they may now be worthless as legal tender as the entity that issued the currency might no longer exist, can still be worth a lot in terms of collector value

for example some Confederate money can be worth a lot in terms of collector value
                    I don't know if they are worth much (yet)... in any case, I probably do have some valuable items in my collection of coins of stamps that I'm unaware of.
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I am an avid collector of anything Sherlock Holmes related lol I have books, video games, cups, figures, shirts, his coat (BBC sherlock) and a deer stalker hat....and there is still MORE stuff i want! lol i don't know if that's odd or not lol I think the weirdest thing i have in my collection right now is a Sherlock manga that is still in Japanese. I can't read a WORD of it but i could use it as motivation to learn the language.

Spoiler:

MCSHEP FOREVER!!!!!!!!
                      Sheppard <3's Rodney! YAY! LOLS!
                      Happily floating in Mckay Heaven <3
                      sigpic

Comment

Can you believe that?

Well, I'm guess I'm lucky then; I haven't heard anything new that I would want to own in decades. I already have most of what I would ever want to own. About the only things I buy nowadays is the occasional Vinyl or CD at a garage sale. Usually CD's, though, it's very rare to find a vinyl album that I want that has been taken care of. Usually, they're beat to hell.

Comment

Well, I'm guess I'm lucky then; I haven't heard anything new that I would want to own in decades. I already have most of what I would ever want to own. About the only things I buy nowadays is the occasional Vinyl or CD at a garage sale. Usually CD's, though, it's very rare to find a vinyl album that I want that has been taken care of. Usually, they're beat to hell.
                          like mine...they're probably in sad shape after sitting around in the rafters of the garage exposed to the cold temps of our often brutal winters and then the sometimes equally brutal heat waves of our summers

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                            like mine...they're probably in sad shape after sitting around in the rafters of the garage exposed to the cold temps of our often brutal winters and then the sometimes equally brutal heat waves of our summers
                            Usually, the issue is not storage conditions, it's usage. Many people treated their vinyl like crap in their younger days and they're scratched to hell as a result of abuse.

Comment

Usually, the issue is not storage conditions, it's usage. Many people treated their vinyl like crap in their younger days and they're scratched to hell as a result of abuse.
                              yeah not sure about how scratched up they might be either...maybe one of these days I should invest in a USB turntable to play them

Comment

Annoyed collects dust, don't believe otherwise.
                                sigpic
                                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
                                X