This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    Well, that's quite the blank check, isn't it?

And I seem to remember something about the 10th amendment limiting the authority of the govt. to what is spelled out as its responsibility

Yes, but we have these things like "Necessary and Proper Clause" that somehow has justified all sorts of things. For example, regulating interstate commerce apparently means that the Federal government can make Marijuana illegal...and this is one of the more tame examples that Republicans support. ICE is another example. Somehow regulating who can be naturalized means the US government has the authority to prevent people from even being here, and not only that but to remove people from the country....none of this has anything to do with naturalization. And the list goes on.

Republicans have much to do with bloating of Government beyond the enumerated powers as anyone else.

What Tood wrote is an incredible stretch of the imagination. Doesn't mean that Health care or Welfare benefits are specified as the government's responsibility in the Constitution, not by a long shot.
    It's no less incredible than the things the government does with the "Necessary and proper clause". Just because you don't like the implication, doesn't make it untrue. I told you only what the founders themselves said. It's recorded in multiple documents like the federalist papers. Read them for yourself. We have more rights than those enumerated in the Constitution and that is a fact straight from the horses' mouths (the horses being the founders).
    By Nolamom
    sigpic

Comment

what I find funny is that it was government that got our health care system into the mess it's in in the first place and people think giving the government even more control of it will fix it

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
        what I find funny is that it was government that got our health care system into the mess it's in in the first place and people think giving the government even more control of it will fix it
        People tend to forget that little fact.

Comment

And now for a completely different flavor of weird...

If you recall, I've babbled on about how so much of our lives are determined by things we can't control, genetics, physical appearance and such.

Just happened across this today.

How your looks shape your personality

Comment

Single white man living alone.
            Guess we know where you fall.
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

He is the basis of the grouchy old man
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

You do realise that government control works in many other countries, right?
                So it's not government control that is the issue, it's how AMERICA deals with it that is the issue.
                You two seem to forget that ACTUAL fact.
                sigpic

Comment

And they have yet to demonstrate how they plan to fix it without government control
                  Spoiler:
                  I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Of course not. Modern "conservatism" is the Shadows: destroy everything in sight and just assume that the survivors are the best of the lot, and to hell with everyone else who gets hurt or killed along the way--tough s***, it's their own stupid fault for not being more bootstrappy.
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                      And they have yet to demonstrate how they plan to fix it without government control
                      There is no plan, simple as that.
                      What is the plan to replace the ACA?
                      NOTHING. The plan is simply get rid of what Obama did, for "reasons" (that are TOTALLY about his policies)
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                        and all you need to do is crack open a history book to find out just what letting the government control everything will get you

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                          There is no plan, simple as that.
                          What is the plan to replace the ACA?
                          NOTHING. The plan is simply get rid of what Obama did, for "reasons" (that are TOTALLY about his policies)
                          How about we take the govt. out of it, and revert to what was working, before the govt. screwed it up the first time back in the 90's at the behest of Hillary.

Comment

How about we take the govt. out of it, and revert to what was working, before the govt. screwed it up the first time back in the 90's at the behest of Hillary.
                            How about you learn how to manage it through single payer government, like every other advanced nation?
                            sigpic

Comment

and all you need to do is crack open a history book to find out just what letting the government control everything will get you
                              How does healthcare translate to "everything"?
                              By Nolamom
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                                How does healthcare translate to "everything"?
                                Health care spending currently makes up 18-20% of our economy, aka GDP. That's a significant portion already, and it's growing.

Comment

Working...
                                X