This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    India ran missions on record budget some for less than a movie budget, which in itself should embarrass NASA. The annual budget of the ISRO hovers around 1.5 billions.

Get your facts straight.
    I don't think India can be considered to be "pushing the envelope" as NASA was with the Apollo & Space Shuttle programs. Following behind is always cheaper than blazing the trail in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
      For the same reasons the US sent a man on the moon and probes into space during a time when millions of Americans were living in poverty?
      Originally posted by magi877 View Post
      you mean India is in a strategic arms and space race against the soviet union?

look, there is simply no excuse for a nation to allow so many of its ppl to live in such squalor without at least some old fashioned trench latrines or clean water

india,and other nations spending billions on space programs and other tech schemes is like your neighbor down the street whose roof is caving in, they stand in food lines and sell empty soda bottles but drive a high end range rover.

india and others do not have their priorities straight and are getting ahead of themselves and leaving most of their population behind. building a nation ripe for social unrest and violence. and people wonder why india is one of the few nations that still has a violent Maoist Revolutionary movement in its nation
      ------------------------------------------------------------
      all Americans have the promise to 'the pursuit of" happiness ,health and good welfare, not a guarantee to succeed in attaining them
      There has always been and always will be poverty, and people living in it. No amount of govt. assistance, programs or anything else can eliminate it.

Do you propose not exploring new frontiers at all? Because if you wait till no one is in poverty, you will never begin exploring.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Its obvious that the problem comes from how poorly the UK managed the Commonwealth when we were their colonies. We should all demand an apology and compensation
        Compensation is debatable but I’m all for the UK publically apologising for it’s Imperialist behaviour. Particularly to Ireland and India.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

India ran missions on record budget some for less than a movie budget, which in itself should embarrass NASA. The annual budget of the ISRO hovers around 1.5 billions.

Get your facts straight.
          i am sorry, but in this case, facts are irrelevant

and i never said anything about their sending stuff to space on budget or under--that is goal post movement on your part

the issue is that so much of their nation is left behind-severely left behind, for basics of life, like clean water and toilets

the money should not have even been budgeted for a space program to start with, they need to finish their infrastructure first

any progress a nation makes without addressing long standing issues that are equal to issues that people had in the middle ages, like lack of clean water, nulls out the progress

there is simply no excuse for the lack of leadership by the indian gov to ensure a proper sanitation system.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
            T
            Do you propose not exploring new frontiers at all? Because if you wait till no one is in poverty, you will never begin exploring.
            no, explore away by nations (or preferably, corporations) that can afford it

in america we often call foul on people who get food stamps or on unemployment who buy expensive food and may drive an expensive car

that is a smaller example of this.

what india should do (btw, there are over 30 nations that are poorer-per GDP and other measures, than India is yet have modern sanitation and clean water. cited by presenter in above TED talk video) is build a infrasture that extends to all of its cities and towns

or at least build latrine pits with removal of waste by 'honey bucket' trucks

also, they need to once and for all end the system of caste. the ted presenter also tells why some upper caste people who have built a latrine, do not use it = they will not clean it. and the lower caste people refuse to do it as well

this is a glaring hole of leadership that needs to be filled. no, govt does not belong in all facets of life, but it should at least endure clean water, proper sanitation and the abandonment of archaic forms of cultural segregation

how can any other nation take India seriously when its people are in this state and think that one group is better than another simply because of birth?

on that, with their space program, once they send people to space will they only allow the highest castes to go?

Comment

In other words: nothing matters if it's not literally the worst thing happening.
              this is what so many are doing in the case of discussing the US and how it is apparently the worst in the world at-everything(?), and therefore the only worthy topic and target of discussion

i have criticisms of the US as well, like our behavior in insisting we must be the world's 911 service and other issues like our foreign aid programs

let someone else respond to crises and hand out their taxpayer dollars for awhile instead of us and on the SAME level as us.

but, even after saying this, I still am honest and knowing enough that there are so many other things wrong around the world caused by other nations or non govt actors that are worthy of discussion/criticism. issues that make the US issues look trivial

like how about all of those kids in pakistan recently found to be HIV positive due to a re-use of needles in vaccination programs?

or the killing of muslims by buddhists in Myanmar?

or the corruption of so many african nations? Venezuelan issues?

and so much more, and all people want to talk about is how trump or hillary and their teams, may or may not have lied

Comment

India has its lots of issues you're right on that, it's an emerging country (BRIC). India decided to specialize in the high-tech field to find a spot on the international level, as a matter of fact there are too many qualified IT workers right now in India and not enough jobs.

That's how they plan to elevate their country and hopefully generate more capital to increase the quality of life. But that can't be done in a few years and, as Annoyed pointed out, there wouldn't be any advancement made it all the money was used for that.

To make living conditions better India had to pull it's Ace out of the game first. To give money you need to make money, and no, 1.5 billion is not BILLIONS of dollars and not that significant.
                Spoiler:
                I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

you mean India is in a strategic arms and space race against the soviet union?
                  Yes. China and Pakistan.

look, there is simply no excuse for a nation to allow so many of its ppl to live in such squalor without at least some old fashioned trench latrines or clean water

india,and other nations spending billions on space programs and other tech schemes is like your neighbor down the street whose roof is caving in, they stand in food lines and sell empty soda bottles but drive a high end range rover.

india and others do not have their priorities straight and are getting ahead of themselves and leaving most of their population behind. building a nation ripe for social unrest and violence. and people wonder why india is one of the few nations that still has a violent Maoist Revolutionary movement in its nation
                  ------------------------------------------------------------
                  all Americans have the promise to 'the pursuit of" happiness ,health and good welfare, not a guarantee to succeed in attaining them
                  It's not like they asked to be ransacked by the world's greatest jerks (sorry brits, but you really were A-Class jerks to say the least, if it makes you feel better the US is giving you a run for your imperialist money).

no, explore away by nations (or preferably, corporations) that can afford it

in america we often call foul on people who get food stamps or on unemployment who buy expensive food and may drive an expensive car

that is a smaller example of this.

what india should do (btw, there are over 30 nations that are poorer-per GDP and other measures, than India is yet have modern sanitation and clean water. cited by presenter in above TED talk video) is build a infrasture that extends to all of its cities and towns

or at least build latrine pits with removal of waste by 'honey bucket' trucks

also, they need to once and for all end the system of caste. the ted presenter also tells why some upper caste people who have built a latrine, do not use it = they will not clean it. and the lower caste people refuse to do it as well

this is a glaring hole of leadership that needs to be filled. no, govt does not belong in all facets of life, but it should at least endure clean water, proper sanitation and the abandonment of archaic forms of cultural segregation

how can any other nation take India seriously when its people are in this state and think that one group is better than another simply because of birth?

on that, with their space program, once they send people to space will they only allow the highest castes to go?
                  The concept of spillover applies here. A higher income means higher tax revenue. You stimulated higher income by providing for high tech jobs and services that pay higher income means more taxes which means more funding for more projects and so on.

Also, which government pays for what? You're assuming India has a unitary government and not a federal one?
                  By Nolamom
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                    Otherwise known as the correct side.
                    I concur, and we drive on the right.

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    Mayo/fries is DutchBelgian...
                    There, fixed it for you.

For the same reasons the US sent a man on the moon and probes into space during a time when millions of Americans were living in poverty?
                    One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind?

I believe Flint in Michigan is still waiting for clean water.

And wasn't there a tiny spill in the Dakota Access Pipeline?
                    Nope, it was the Keystone pipeline in South Dakota that contaminated water.

india and others do not have their priorities straight and are getting ahead of themselves and leaving most of their population behind. building a nation ripe for social unrest and violence.
                    Poverty in the US in 2017, as reported in September 2018:

The official poverty rate in 2017 was 12.3 percent, down 0.4 percentage points from 12.7 percent in 2016. This is the third consecutive annual decline in poverty. Since 2014, the pov*erty rate has fallen 2.5 percent*age points, from 14.8 percent to 12.3 percent.

Poverty in the India in 2016, as reported by the Worldbank in 2016

The official poverty rate in 2016 was 22% of 270 million people.

Today both the USA and India have a less than 3% rate of extreme poverty as reporty by the World Poverty Clock.

What do the USA and India spend on space programs?

USA -- budget for the 2019 fiscal year = 21.5 billion dollar

India -- space budget in Crores or in dollars --> 1.43 billion dollar

Which they never attain, happiness maybe but health care and good welfare... ...that's a joke.

i am sorry, but in this case, facts are irrelevant
                    FACTS are important and never irrelevant.

the money should not have even been budgeted for a space program to start with, they need to finish their infrastructure first
                    You do realize the USA spends 20 times more on space programs than India, right?

I feel a black kettle coming...

any progress a nation makes without addressing long standing issues that are equal to issues that people had in the middle ages, like lack of clean water, nulls out the progress..
                    FLINT, Michigan...

there is simply no excuse for the lack of leadership by the indian gov to ensure a proper sanitation system.
                    India made rapid progress in increasing access to sanitation in schools: UN report

More on Sustainable Development Goals (SDG).

If interested here's the SDG report for the USA of 2018 and the one for India.

It's not like they asked to be ransacked by the world's greatest jerks (sorry brits, but you really were A-Class jerks to say the least, if it makes you feel better the US is giving you a run for your imperialist money).
                    The colonies learned from the best...
                    Last edited by Falcon Horus; 13 June 2019, 04:51 AM.
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      Quote Originally Posted by magi877
                      Which they never attain, happiness maybe but health care and good welfare... ...that's a joke.
                      A common misconception.

As far as happiness goes, that's referred to in the Declaration of Independence.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
                      No where in the Constitution is health care mentioned as a "right", and the reference to welfare is in connection to the general welfare of the people; it doesn't indicate a right to welfare benefits, which so many seem to think it does.

Comment

I concur, and we drive on the right.

There, fixed it for you.

One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind?

I believe Flint in Michigan is still waiting for clean water.

And wasn't there a tiny spill in the Dakota Access Pipeline?
                        Nope, it was the Keystone pipeline in South Dakota that contaminated water.

Poverty in the US in 2017, as reported in September 2018:

The official poverty rate in 2017 was 12.3 percent, down 0.4 percentage points from 12.7 percent in 2016. This is the third consecutive annual decline in poverty. Since 2014, the pov*erty rate has fallen 2.5 percent*age points, from 14.8 percent to 12.3 percent.

Poverty in the India in 2016, as reported by the Worldbank in 2016

The official poverty rate in 2016 was 22% of 270 million people.

Today both the USA and India have a less than 3% rate of extreme poverty as reporty by the World Poverty Clock.

What do the USA and India spend on space programs?

USA -- budget for the 2019 fiscal year = 21.5 billion dollar

India -- space budget in Crores or in dollars --> 1.43 billion dollar

FACTS are important and never irrelevant.

You do realize the USA spends 20 times more on space programs than India, right?

I feel a black kettle coming...

FLINT, Michigan...

India made rapid progress in increasing access to sanitation in schools: UN report

More on Sustainable Development Goals (SDG).

If interested here's the SDG report for the USA of 2018 and the one for India.

The colonies learned from the best...
                        The thing about Flint is that it was a garbage dump before the water crisis and will probably continue to be a dump long after. It suffers from the same problem that Detroit does.
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

A common misconception.

As far as happiness goes, that's referred to in the Declaration of Independence.

No where in the Constitution is health care mentioned as a "right", and the reference to welfare is in connection to the general welfare of the people; it doesn't indicate a right to welfare benefits, which so many seem to think it does.
                          Dude surgeries in the States can cost over 100k, it's beyond ridiculous. FH is also quite right pointing out the outstanding irony in Magi's post as most of the points he raised towards India are present in USA as well. Poverty and healthcare, undrinkable tap water (I've seen the cesspools of Ohio when I was in NYC on a trip, looked like a swamp).

In a pure MAGA USA nobody pays for anything so keep going to the well to get your daily water buddy, if they're not contaminated already due to the lack of safeguards (which would be entirely removed by Trumpers, drop that 5/30 oil pint straight in the lake buddy).
                          Spoiler:
                          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I know it is... and happiness is subject from person to person, and depends on quite a few things.

In general, I'd say my happiness is quite alright, even if I have to file my taxes again soon and find I'll have to pay some more to the state -- still making up for 2 years of unemployement.

The happiest country in the world is still... Finland (they know all about raking forests too).

These are the world's happiest (and least happy) countries in 2019

"Finland topped the list of 156 countries, which were ranked in the United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network's 2019 World Happiness Report. The report ranks countries on several well-being variables including income, freedom, trust, healthy life expectancy and more."

The US is down from 18 to 19th position, which is down 4 places since 2017.

Looks like Belgium is at the 18th spot this year instead.

You're the one to refer to welfare as benefits -- I was actually refering to the general welfare as explained here:

"The concern of the government for the health, peace, morality, and safety of its citizens."

And in the USA, that's rather problematic at best... no decent healthcare, morality swinging every which way, safety -- when was the last shooting again, oh yesterday in California -- ... I guess peace is something that you sorta have, notwithstanding the overseas troops engaging in military actions.
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

You're the one to refer to welfare as benefits
                              Because it's a strawman argument commonly deployed by derpservatives and no-one else.
                              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I know it is... and happiness is subject from person to person, and depends on quite a few things.

In general, I'd say my happiness is quite alright, even if I have to file my taxes again soon and find I'll have to pay some more to the state -- still making up for 2 years of unemployement.

The happiest country in the world is still... Finland (they know all about raking forests too).

These are the world's happiest (and least happy) countries in 2019

"Finland topped the list of 156 countries, which were ranked in the United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network's 2019 World Happiness Report. The report ranks countries on several well-being variables including income, freedom, trust, healthy life expectancy and more."

The US is down from 18 to 19th position, which is down 4 places since 2017.

Looks like Belgium is at the 18th spot this year instead.

You're the one to refer to welfare as benefits -- I was actually refering to the general welfare as explained here:

"The concern of the government for the health, peace, morality, and safety of its citizens."

And in the USA, that's rather problematic at best... no decent healthcare, morality swinging every which way, safety -- when was the last shooting again, oh yesterday in California -- ... I guess peace is something that you sorta have, notwithstanding the overseas troops engaging in military actions.
                                I also live on number three on that list too. I can safely say the Skandinavian nations know how to look after their people.
                                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
                                X